Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
You need to be logged in to post
Options
Index
#213584 - 09/01/13 03:19 PM [Band-in-a-Box for Windows] Re: BIAB review [Re: raymb1]
Loc: Mi., USA
rharv Offline
Veteran

Loc: Mi., USA
I saw a couple comments in this thread that bothered me;

Since when is 50 old? I hit that marker last year, but still.
I'm trying to not be old, does that count?

I'm on the >50 side, yet I want a redesign, so how do I vote?

Also,
Can our graphics department do the redesign? (that would be cool)

#213586 - 09/01/13 04:18 PM [Band-in-a-Box for Windows] Re: BIAB review [Re: raymb1]
Loc: Catonsville, Maryland, USA
Bob_B Offline
Journeyman

+1 on a redesign of the GUI _and_ unification of the main programs: BIAB and RealBand. I think adobe got it right with its unification of Lightroom, Photoshop, Illustrator, etc. At least when you go into those programs, you know where to find something. With BIAB and RB, it's always a treasure hunt. The latter can often be fun and lead to new discoveries, but sometimes I just want to get the danged project finished and start the music.

FWIW, I'm older than rharv, not that it matters.

Bob aka jazzwombat aka Dr. Fills Jazz

#213590 - 09/01/13 05:35 PM [Band-in-a-Box for Windows] Re: BIAB review [Re: raymb1]
Loc: Sterling, Va
raymb1 Offline
Veteran

At least, 2013.5 is tabled for a few minutes. Later, Ray

#213597 - 09/01/13 06:55 PM [Band-in-a-Box for Windows] Re: BIAB review [Re: Bob_B]
Loc: Hamlin NY
MarioD Offline
Veteran

I am all for a GUI redesign but I am totally against the unification of BiaB and RealBand. A good number of BiaB users use a different DAW for various reasons.

I vote to keep BiaB and RB separate.

64 bit Win 10 Pro, the latest BiaB and RB, Roland Octa-Capture audio interface, a ton of software and some hardware

#213599 - 09/01/13 07:24 PM [Band-in-a-Box for Windows] Re: BIAB review [Re: MarioD]
Bob_B Offline
Journeyman

Originally Posted By: MarioD
I am all for a GUI redesign but I am totally against the unification of BiaB and RealBand. A good number of BiaB users use a different DAW for various reasons.

Hi Mario,

Just to clarify: what I was suggesting was a unification of GUIs (menus especially), so options/preferences would be in the same place, as they are not in the current iterations of the programs. I too would not want to see BIAB and RB combined, if I read your post correctly.

L8r, Bob

#213606 - 09/01/13 08:08 PM [Band-in-a-Box for Windows] Re: BIAB review [Re: Bob_B]
MarioD Offline
Veteran

Originally Posted By: jazzwombat
Originally Posted By: MarioD

Hi Mario,

Just to clarify: what I was suggesting was a unification of GUIs (menus especially), so options/preferences would be in the same place, as they are not in the current iterations of the programs. I too would not want to see BIAB and RB combined, if I read your post correctly.

L8r, Bob

Sorry Bob, my bad. I miss read your post to say you wanted to combined BiaB and RB. Sorry for the confusion, we are on the same page. That is do not combined BiaB with RB.

64 bit Win 10 Pro, the latest BiaB and RB, Roland Octa-Capture audio interface, a ton of software and some hardware

#213619 - 09/02/13 01:05 AM [Band-in-a-Box for Windows] Re: BIAB review [Re: Tony Wright]
JohnJohnJohn Offline
Veteran

Originally Posted By: Tony Wright
I have long thought that this forum, helpful though it has been, is PG's worst enemy. I sincerely hope that PG are not listening only to this forum when deciding how to bring BIAB into the 21st century. Ironically, many long time forum members are the least qualified to advise PG.

although that is a hard pill to swallow, I agree 100%, Tony!

Originally Posted By: jazzmammal
My big worry for the company's future is this forum. It's like an old folks home around here. Ok, I'll say mostly, I know there's a few regulars who are under 50 but not many. What must a 30 year old who happens to find this place who knows nothing about the program think when most of the threads are about 50 year old tunes and people talking about nursing home gigs? I fear PG won't survive in the long run if they don't modernize for the younger crowd and it starts with the look.

I am in the 50+ club too but as a software developer for 35 years I appreciate good-looking as well as high-functioning software! I have several 30-something friends who are great musicians and songwriters and they LOVE modern DAW software and tools like GarageBand...when I show them BIAB or this forum they find it to be "ugly", "old", "outdated" and so on.

and maybe it is their loss but it is also PG Music's loss too!

and to anyone who dismisses great GUI as just fluff you are sorely mistaken! great GUI makes for a better, more efficient workflow. saves you time and effort. lets you finish your project quicker. and when it is a joy to use you smile more during production and that always helps too!

Edited by JohnJohnJohn (09/02/13 01:06 AM)

#213623 - 09/02/13 02:52 AM [Band-in-a-Box for Windows] Re: BIAB review [Re: raymb1]
joden Offline
Journeyman

TBH, I don't give a "rats" how it looks, how it works is the only thing that matters.

#213627 - 09/02/13 03:20 AM [Band-in-a-Box for Windows] Re: BIAB review [Re: joden]
JohnJohnJohn Offline
Veteran

Originally Posted By: joden
TBH, I don't give a "rats" how it looks, how it works is the only thing that matters.

I doubt that is entirely true! if they reverted to a DOS command line you'd probably be unhappy with it even though it would still "work"! to many people, especially younger artists, that is what BIAB looks like!

#213638 - 09/02/13 08:57 AM [Band-in-a-Box for Windows] Re: BIAB review [Re: joden]
raymb1 Offline
Veteran

I tend to agree with you, Joden. Once I hit the space bar for play, how BIAB looks is irrelevant. Space bar is also set to stop the song. BIAB can change the interface to look more modern, as long as the functionality remains the same. Later, Ray

#213646 - 09/02/13 09:41 AM [Band-in-a-Box for Windows] Re: BIAB review [Re: raymb1]
Loc: Wauconda, Il.
MusicStudent Offline
Veteran

Loc: Wauconda, Il.
Here is my preferences for any software application:

First, stability! I don't want buggy and crashes. Based on my experience with BIAB I give it a B+ rating on this criteria, and that ain't bad.

Second, features! It has to do what it claims to do and is the reason I bought it. Here BAIB gets an A. Let me add, absolutely nothing on the market comes close to doing what this program does.

Third, Cost! I have to be able to afford it. This is a tough one to rate as it is hard to put a value on this, other than to compare to other software I purchase. Given that it is generally at the upper end of my pain threshold for computer software I would give it a C for a first time purchase. However, since I get each upgrade and the cost is much less I would give it a B.

Finally, appearance and workflow. I think the entire discussion to date is related to what I consider the least important criteria. So I will generally agree with the masses and give a rating of C-. A spiffy GUI would increase the rating greatly. And workflow is extremely important when comparing one application to another, however given that there is no other application to compare this to, it becomes a moot point.

So overall a strong B. So until someone can beat that I continue to purchase the yearly upgrades.

SoundCloud

#213665 - 09/02/13 01:59 PM [Band-in-a-Box for Windows] Re: BIAB review [Re: raymb1]
Loc: Winston-Salem, NC
Pat Marr Offline
Veteran

Loc: Winston-Salem, NC
1) despite years of predictions that BIAB can't continue to exist with its current look & feel... it continues to exist (by popular demand)

2) complex feature set justifies the learning curve

3) if you can't find an answer in the docs, post a question to the forum. Somebody somewhere in the world will be online and answer the question. This holds true even if the answer *IS* in the docs and you're too lazy to look for it. BIAB users delight in helping one another.

4) best overview of features is the video series of "new features" for each version, found here: http://www.pgmusic.com/videos.bbwin.htm

5) not conforming to a standard (ie. not being like everybody else) is characteristic of free-thinking innovation. If you let innovation drive the product, you can always clean up the docs or interface later. But in the past few years the innovation has come so fast and so rich that I can't imagine there's been time to deal with the other issues.

6) Every product has a life expectancy. Life expectancy is based on how well it serves its purpose. We've all seen programs with fancy interfaces outlive their usefulness. PGMusic products stand almost alone in their devotion to music theory. Theory is here to stay, whereas programs whose only claim to fame is a slick way to do something that's popular today.. those programs will pass away

7) if it's too old fashioned or loathesome to learn... don't buy it! Problem solved! But you'll buy it anyway like all the rest of us, because nothing else does what PGMusic products do.

8) PGMusic will undoubtedly update the docs and interface at some point. But it remains to be seen whether other music software will continue to differentiate themselves through innovation.

#213680 - 09/02/13 04:57 PM [Band-in-a-Box for Windows] Re: BIAB review [Re: raymb1]
Loc: Redondo Beach, Ca.
jazzmammal Offline
Veteran

Loc: Redondo Beach, Ca.
C'mon Joden and Ray, you're kidding right? Looks don't matter, just functionality?? Really?

How about this then. Lexus could easily put all their high tech goodies into a car that looks like a 1962 Russian Volga. Remember Men In Black? Agent K picks up Will Smith in what looks like a 1985 Ford Crown Vic. What does Will say? "All the technology in the universe and you drive around in this Ford pos."

Looks matter. A lot. You have to grab their attention first before you can start to sell them on the product. I seem to remember in the long ago distant past that that applies to chasing chicks too.<grin>

RHarv, my only point is 50 is old to a 28 year old and that's who PG needs to start marketing to.

Bob
Biab/RB latest build, Win 10 64 bit, Intel 4770, 256 Gig SSD, 16 Gigs Ram, Steinberg UR22 MkII, Roland Sonic Cell, Kurzweil PC3, Hammond SK1, Korg PA3XPro, Garritan JABB, Hypercanvas, Sampletank 3, more.

#213681 - 09/02/13 05:08 PM [Band-in-a-Box for Windows] Re: BIAB review [Re: jazzmammal]
joden Offline
Journeyman

Originally Posted By: jazzmammal
C'mon Joden and Ray, you're kidding right? Looks don't matter, just functionality?? Really?

How about this then. Lexus could easily put all their high tech goodies into a car that looks like a 1962 Russian Volga. Remember Men In Black? Agent K picks up Will Smith in what looks like a 1985 Ford Crown Vic. What does Will say? "All the technology in the universe and you drive around in this Ford pos."

Looks matter. A lot. You have to grab their attention first before you can start to sell them on the product. I seem to remember in the long ago distant past that that applies to chasing chicks too.<grin>

RHarv, my only point is 50 is old to a 28 year old and that's who PG needs to start marketing to.

Bob

Yep REALLY!!! smile

Should see the old van I drive around in. I don't care how it looks just how it works. Gets me from A to B and in the manner it needs to.

This seemingly modern obsession with looks even spills over into how successful a muso can be these days - if one does not have great looks, then forget about getting contracts, recognition, any sort of recording deals or concerts, no matter how good or talented a person is.

Nope, not for me smile for me it is function over form any day!

#213685 - 09/02/13 05:45 PM [Band-in-a-Box for Windows] Re: BIAB review [Re: jazzmammal]
raymb1 Offline
Veteran

I bought BIAB for what it could do, not what it looked like. I'm not looking at BIAB while I'm playing, neither is anyone else. All your comparisons don't mean a thing. BIAB's looks don't have a thing to do with the sound that's coming out of my PA. All the places that I play are concerned with the sound and quality of my music, not what my PC screen looks like. Later, Ray

#213689 - 09/02/13 05:55 PM [Band-in-a-Box for Windows] Re: BIAB review [Re: joden]
lingyai Offline
Apprentice

I think it is a mistake to frame this as a matter of form "versus" functionality, because they actually complement one another.

I am not talking about a slick GUI for it's own sake; I don't care if the font and colors hearken back to Windows 3.1.

Rather, the problem with the GUI is that it is so perplexing. Things take so much figuring out that it's coitus interruptus left right and center; the moments of artistic "high" are there, but punctuated by lots and lots of head-scratching, manual consultation, forum queries, etc.

Really good software is designed so that as much as possible it becomes "invisible" i.e. you spend much more time concentrating on what you are doing with it, as opposed to puzzling over how you do it.

If you think this is just an unavoidable fact of life, due to BIAB's deep feature set, try downloading free demos of Melodyne or Studio One. Both -- especially Melodyne -- are not only extremely innovative (Melodyne recently won a technical Grammy)but are also simply a joy to use, because they are quite intuitive, despite being very sophisticated, powerful and feature-packed.

Whereas BIAB hides its gifts to the world behind a mind-numbing GUI. I know many of y'all have been using it for years and have reconciled yourselves to it. I for one am trying to love it, but it is just such a labor.

If it could be made more accessible -- again, not "purdy" as such, but accessible -- it would be catapulted from being the favorite of a tight-knit niche to being something the computer-based music-making world would flock to.

Ok, try not to beat me up, I'm new.

#213691 - 09/02/13 06:29 PM [Band-in-a-Box for Windows] Re: BIAB review [Re: lingyai]
Loc: Kennesaw (Atlanta) GA
Ryszard Offline
Veteran

Loc: Kennesaw (Atlanta) GA
Lingyai,

Not to worry. Your thoughtful questions and comments are welcome and appreciated. I for one hope to see you as a regular here.

Richard

#213697 - 09/02/13 07:26 PM [Band-in-a-Box for Windows] Re: BIAB review [Re: lingyai]
raymb1 Offline
Veteran

Welcome to BIAB and the forums. Like I said before, no one is looking at my GUI. What really matters is what's coming out of the PA. Once you've become more familiar with BIAB, you'll see how easy it is to do most things. There's plenty of help here in the forums. Out of all those dozens of icons, you can just choose which ones you want showing and hide all the rest. By the way, I've been using BIAB for live gigs for many years and love the program. There's no other program that does what BIAB does. If there were another program that does what BIAB does and looks better, then you could say "why not do it like ???? program?". Later, Ray

#213698 - 09/02/13 07:44 PM [Band-in-a-Box for Windows] Re: BIAB review [Re: raymb1]
lingyai Offline
Apprentice

Well, thanks y'all. You will get questions, rest assured!

#213701 - 09/02/13 08:24 PM [Band-in-a-Box for Windows] Re: BIAB review [Re: raymb1]
J. Larry Offline
Journeyman

I like Ray's thinkin' on this issue. For me, it's the results of live play. I know how to arrange tunes, create intros and endings with BIAB, then go play live gigs. For my purposes, that's all I need/want to do. All that other stuff is fluff.

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

PG Music News
The Band-in-a-Box® 2022 for Windows DAW Plugin 4.0 is Here!

There are over 40 enhancements to the Band-in-a-Box® DAW Plugin, including a new Chord Settings dialog (with Chord Builder, Chord Theory, and MicroChords tabs), the MicroChords feature (the ability to enter multiple chords per beat, four pages for a total of 32 tracks (8 style tracks, 16 utility tracks, and 8 multi-riff tracks) plus a Style Mix track, the ability to drag MIDI chords and markers to DAW, volume sliders for each track, the ability to save/load chord progression, and much more!

The newest DAW Plugin is included in all Band-in-a-Box 2022 for Windows purchases - and Upgrades are on sale this month... up to 50% off!

Learn more about all the new features in Band-in-a-Box® 2022 for Windows DAW Plugin 4.0.

Band-in-a-Box® 2022 Boot Camp: An introduction to 10 major features and new RealTracks!

We've made a great tutorial feature for 7 of the 10 major features of Band-in-a-Box® 2022 for Windows.
(the other 3 drum stems, track settings, and ReMix Vocal Songs will be covered in "Boot Camp, part 2/2" - coming soon!)

Here is Part 1/2: Band-in-a-Box® 2022 Boot Camp: An introduction to 10 major features and new RealTracks!

Table of Contents:
All Tracks are Equal 00:50
Playable RealTracks 9:00
MultiRiff 24:35
MicroChords 38:24
Motifs 48:51
Volume Node Automation 51:18

Coming soon in part 2:
Drum stems
Track Settings "One-Stop-Shop"
ReMix Vocal Full Songs
222 new RealTracks
1-Click Downloader/Installer

NEW! Xtra Styles PAK 12 for Band-in-a-Box®!

If you love our existing Xtra Styles PAKs, you'll definitely want to have a listen to our NEW Xtra Styles PAK 12, with 200 more fully-produced styles! 50 each for: Country, Jazz, Rock-Pop, and our new Blues styles option!

Video: Xtra Styles PAK 12 Demos

Order this month and save 40%! During our Xtra Styles PAK 12 special, which ends December 31st, all of our Xtra Styles PAKs 1-12 are on sale for just $29 each (reg. $49)! Looking for more Xtra Styles PAKs? You can purchase our complete library of all 2,000+ RealStyles with the Xtra Styles PAK 1-12 Bundle for only $199 (reg. $349)! Learn more & order now.

Note: These Xtra Styles require the UltraPAK, UltraPAK+, or Audiophile Edition of Band-in-a-Box® version 2021 or 2022.

RealBand 2022 is Here!

There are over 30 new features to RealBand 2022, including the ability to install multiple VST plugins from a folder at a time, improved Audio Chord Wizard detection routines, the ability to record mixer movement for the masters/subgroups, new Transpose/Stretch All Tracks dialog lets you transpose/stretch/reduce all tracks and then conveniently save to a new file, the new settings to save selected tracks only and exclude muted tracks when saving all tracks to individual files, the option to save all tracks to a compressed format, and much more.

RealBand is included in ALL Band-in-a-Box® for Windows purchases – during our special (which ends December 31st) to save up to 50% when you purchase your Band-in-a-Box® 2022 for Windows Upgrade!

Check out our Band-in-a-Box® packages page for all the purchase options available.

If you need any help deciding which package is the best option for you, just let us know. We are here to help!

Learn more about all the new features in RealBand 2022 for Windows.

Band-in-a-Box® 2022 for Windows is Here!

Band-in-a-Box® 2022 for Windows is here! There are 50+ new features, 222 new RealTracks(20 more than we've released in previous versions), new RealStyles, MIDI SuperTracks, Instrumental Studies, Artist Performances, Xtra Styles PAK 12, New "playable RealTracks" Hi-Q sounds, 2 sets of "RealDrums Stems," and more!

We're having a SALE on Band-in-a-Box® 2022 Upgrade purchases until December 31, 2021 - save up to 50% when you purchase your Band-in-a-Box® 2022 for Windows Upgrade!

We've packed our Free Bonus PAK & 49-PAK with some amazing Add-ons! The Free Bonus PAK is automatically included with most Band-in-a-Box® for Windows 2022 packages during our special, but for more even more Add-ons (including 60 Unreleased RealTracks) upgrade it to the 2022 49-PAK for only $49. You can see the full lists of items in each package, and listen to demos here.

Check out our Band-in-a-Box® packages page for all the purchase options available.

If you need any help deciding which package is the best option for you, just let us know. We are here to help!

Learn more about all the new features in Band-in-a-Box® 2022 for Windows.

Celebrate National Jukebox Day with Band-in-a-Box®!

Happy National Jukebox Day!
(November 24)

Don't own a Jukebox? Well, if you have Band-in-a-Box®, you actually do with the Jukebox feature!

What does the Band-in-a-Box® Jukebox do?

Using the directory you choose, the Band-in-a-Box® Jukebox will provide you with background music by continuously play the entire list of Band-in-a-Box® songs within that folder! There are many options for you to customize your Jukebox experience, including: Only Play song with melodies, Change Melody Instrument, Random order Playback, Audible Count-in, Harmony Settings, and more! Plus, the Jukebox will continue to play while you use other programs, providing your favorite music for continued background listening.

To learn more about the Jukebox feature in Band-in-a-Box® for Windows, check out Chapter 5 of our online manual.
Mac Jukebox details found here.

Tell Us Your Favorite Band-in-a-Box Features

Did you know we have a My Favorite Things forum? We'd love it if you shared your favorite features in Band-in-a-Box and RealBand there, along with what features you use the most and why - we absolutely LOVE getting feedback!

Take a peak at other posts while you're there - you never know... someone else's favorite feature might become yours too!

Forum Stats
35220 Members
63 Forums
71790 Topics
625406 Posts

Max Online: 2537 @ 01/19/20 07:09 AM
Newest Members
agen slot online, N67, sjk, ninebelow0, cqd

35220 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
jpettit 466
Matt Finley 254