I also loaded up Reaper and found I really like their MIDI editor a lot better ..
I have never heard anyone say that before.
First time for everything I guess
Rhave, the latest version updates over the past months have been all "midi love". The developers have made a serious effort to bring the midi editor up to snuff. And I mean serious, just look at the change log over past couple weeks alone since the release of version 4.50:
◦ Actions: various actions better respect edit cursor in undo state
◦ Graphics performance: fixed high CPU use when displaying media items with many embedded cues
◦ MIDI editor: better cursor positioning on note edge clicks .
◦ MIDI editor: fixed scroll issues, improved play cursor behavior
◦ MIDI editor: track and channel selection available in both piano roll and event list view
◦ MIDI editor: fixed channel filter initializing incorrectly when loading projects
◦ MIDI: fixed pasting events into blank area of arrange view
◦ Metering: fixed track metering inaccuracies on looped playback
◦ Playback: fixed rare but possible increased memory use when changing loop selection during playback
◦ ReaPlugs: improved undo point notification for various controls
◦ Routing matrix: fixed scroll issue .
◦ Video: fixed audio decoding issue when using VLC decoder on files containing a 32bps audio stream
◦ MIDI editor: dropdown box above keyboard area to select active track
◦ MIDI editor: better performance updating edits with lots of pooled items
◦ MIDI editor: improved source length editing behavior
◦ MIDI: faster creation of pooled midi items
◦ MIDI: fixed stuck note on looped playback introduced in 4.5
◦ Undo: reduced excess work/flicker when in an undo block
• MIDI editor: ◦ support for editing multiple MIDI items at the same time
◦ added track list and media item lane, filter window now filters only MIDI events, not media items
◦ track list and media item lane control which media item is active, which others are visible
◦ optionally preview all selected notes that start at the same time position
◦ optionally preview notes when editing or changing selection via keyboard action
◦ actions to activate next/previous item, visible item, or track, action to enable/disable relative snap
◦ added mouse modifiers to move/copy selected notes by dragging in the piano roll (no need to click the note again)
◦ added toolbar snap button context menu
◦ many bugfixes and performance improvements
◦ improved action to view raw MIDI data
◦ new cursors midi_noteedge_l, midi_noteedge_r, midi_stretch_l, midi_stretch_r
◦ save and load bank/program select files with tracks, rather than with individual MIDI takes
◦ stretch CC events when stretching a group of notes (when option enabled)
◦ support for 14-bit CC messages in piano roll and event list
◦ theme colors for out-of-bounds piano roll
◦ theme image for midi_item_bounds.png, table_remove_off, table_remove_on
◦ track list shift+click expands/collapses folders or track items
◦ track list has right-click menu option to choose which tracks to show/hide in track list
• JS: ◦ $xHEXCONSTANT now parsed same as 0xHEXCONSTANT, no conversion to 32 bit signed integer
◦ editor has improved non-english keyboard support, syntax highlighting, better resizing support
◦ _global.variable support, regXX alias to _global.regXX
◦ added atomic_setifequal(), atomic_exch(), atomic_add(), atomic_set() and atomic_get()
◦ improved behavior with fx that define input or output pins but not both
◦ invsqrt() now produces same results for negative inputs on x86-64 and x86/PPC
• MIDI: ◦ fixed chasing notes in certain instances .
◦ fixed multiproject hang bug .
◦ import SMF cues that are embedded in the tempo track
◦ optionally embed project markers as MIDI cues when exporting project MIDI
◦ optionally import embedded cues as project markers
◦ when playing back looped, improved sample-level rounding to avoid duplicate midi notes
• API: ◦ GetSetMediaTrackInfo with I_RECARM no longer generates undo points
◦ added GetTrackDepth function
◦ added functions to get media item track, parent tracks
◦ fixed DoActionShortcutDialog() not updating configuration files
◦ undo/redo cancels any pending undo blocks
• FX: ◦ Monitoring FX support - useful for analysis, room adjustment, or other non-project related processing
◦ fixed changing parameters via program change causing potential hang .
◦ safer UI updating when changing bypass/parameters via automation
◦ dropping FX on a track input fx, record arm, record mode, or record input will put FX on input chain
◦ input FX are now properly tracked by undo system
• ReaPlugs: ◦ ReaControlMIDI supports channel pressure messages
◦ improved use/calculation of constants throughout that might affect some win64/AMD systems
◦ fixed potential for crash in ReaFIR analysis code on incorrectly-sized windows
◦ safer ReaInsert audio device hooking
• Time signatures: ◦ improved beat-attached behavior when removing points .
◦ fixed adding editing markers at zero/negative measure counts
◦ improved adjusting media items when changing time signature denominator (related to change in 4.32)
◦ improved behavior moving/copying regions with time signature markers .
• Timestretch: ◦ fixed issues in 4.4x with playspeed envelopes and preserve pitch
◦ latest AVX-enabled Windows builds of Elastique
◦ fixed Elastique issue on some win64/AMD systems
◦ allow non-1.0 playrates that are very close to 1.0 .
• Undo: ◦ extensive optimizations and improvements
◦ avoid excessive state loading when undoing changes to track order/counts
◦ better reuse of undo buffers when changing track order/counts
◦ improved memory use, scan for common blocks in history when adding states
◦ incrementally updated RPP-UNDO files, can make for much faster save of undo history
• Windows: ◦ added WMA as supported file extension
◦ fixed CPU usage display working intermittently on systems with large uptimes
◦ installer better handles incorrect ReWire installation states
◦ topmost button activation tweaks (fixes for embedded bridged plugins and native plugins such as Kontakt)
• Actions: ◦ added set item name from active take filename
◦ fixed label for scroll view horizontally by page .
• Click source: ◦ better behavior when using pitch shifting/timestretch
◦ do not adjust click source rates when adjusting tempo
• Envelopes: ◦ better behavior with multiple points selected
◦ added actions to select various track envelopes
• Grid: ◦ better support for measure lengths that are not multiples of grid size .
◦ framerate grid/snap support
• OSX: ◦ PowerPC build has improved defaults for better performance
◦ fixed fx pin connector text
◦ localized audio device info menu support
• Project bay: ◦ better undo integration for speed/RAM use, faster undo state loading
◦ improved sorting for length, track, position with fallbacks .
• Recording: ◦ MIDI input mode with pdc-adjust respects loop end timing
◦ preserve PDC monitoring properly observes i/o latency for audio
• Stretch markers: ◦ action to remove stretch marker at current position
◦ actions to navigate to next/previous/nearest stretch marker
◦ guide indicators when moving
• VST: ◦ improved bridged embedded support for SE plug-ins (broken in 4.40)
◦ when mode set to not scan VST info, apply renames after updating plugins
• Autosave: configurable option for when to autosave (always, stopped, or not-recording)
• Directory cleanup: better media path resolving for freeze and project bay referenced files
• Dockers: improved autotransparency behavior
• Fades: splitting items with crossfade set will set both crossfade and default item fades .
• Marker/region manager: import/export csv properly supports commas/quotes (RFC 4180) .
• Metronome: Preferences/Audio setting to choose default output
• MTC: fixed hour-rounding issue with 25fps
• Pan: enabled overriding pan mode for the master track . .
• Performance meter: options to show/hide empty tracks/master track/Monitoring FX
• Project tabs: option to put project tabs on left edge of window rather than top
• Routing: reduced excessive volume/pan messages being sent via MIDI sends when stopped/looping
• Text rendering: fixed potential memory overflow bug, thanks JeffOS
• Track manager: fixed extra spaces being added when renaming child tracks
• Video: fixed file closing hang when using WMA files on Windows
• WavPack: fixed crash on reading invalid wrapper chunks