Go To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#215409 09/18/13 04:24 PM
User Showcase
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
THE OUTSKIRTS OF FUN

Janice has been wanting to record a honky tonk country tune for quite a while. We thought about doing a cover but decided to see if we could write our own. For the uninitiated, the father of the genre is Ernest Tubb who recorded the classic “Walking The Floor Over You” in the 40’s. The songs featured prominent bass, drums and some of the first country electric guitar -- all to cut through the din for the dance beat.

In the south honky tonks were usually small clapboard or cinder block buildings with cheap beer/wine, a jukebox (and the occasional band), sawdust on the floor to facilitate dancing, a pool table, lots of neon and a working class clientele who knew how to party. Good history here:
http://www.texasfolklife.org/touring_honkytonk.html

When I was in undergrad school in the late 60’s I used to head to the outskirts of town where a honky tonk lay just across the county line. I’d have a draft, watch the locals two step and clear out the head after a tedious day . Yeah man, I was listening to the Grateful Dead and Ernest Tubb then!

A few weeks ago while Janice and I were mountain biking I thought of that old place and the “outskirts of town” became the “outskirts of fun....”

A big thanks to Floyd Jane for the harmony and comments are welcome -- even if old school country ain't to your liking.

Lead Vocal: Janice via Rodes mic and Blue Icicle USB interface
Harmony Vocal: Floyd Jane
Mixing: GarageBand interfaced with BIAB
Bass: RT 1848 composite of multiple regenerations
Drums: RD N’ville swing
Guitar R: 964
Guitar R: 959
Guitar L: 1279 composite of multiple regenerations
Steel R: 612
Steel L: 1504 composite of multiple regenerations
Piano R: 1855
Fiddle R:1114 composite of multiple regenerations

Last edited by Janice & Bud; 09/18/13 04:35 PM.
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Janice & Bud, I really enjoyed this even though I have never been in one. Yeah right. I love this genre and you guys do this well. Janice, your vocals just kill me. So bluesy and yet so pitch perfect. Just beautiful. Floyd, nice job on the low harmony. I think it is much easier to sing a higher harmony and much harder to nail the low part. Great production. Thanks for posting. You guys rock! Tom

User Showcase
Apprentice
Apprentice
Totally not my musical cup of tea at all and I found my toe tapping by the first chorus and totally hooked soon after. I am in awe of the talent on this board, this is a great song and it was recorded and mixed with love of that there is no doubt.
BIB is amazing isn't it? And in the hands of musical magicians as most you all are it gets even more awesome.
Thank you for posting this and taking me out of my box for a few min, I really enjoyed it.

Rick

Last edited by rickey2005; 09/18/13 05:56 PM.

It needs more cowbell!

https://therickhansenband.com
User Showcase
Journeyman
Journeyman
Very nice mix. Great job on the vocs. Your breaks sounded natural and I know that can be a lot of work.

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
YEH, that's the sorta country that I like.

It reminds me of a gig we did years back in the Rhonda valley of Mid Wales but with less blood, bottle throwing and fighting and that was just to get a drink LOL!!

Thoroughly enjoyed that; all kudos to you both and also Floyd Jane for harmonies.

Alyn

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Janice, Bud and Floyd
Great work. I love this type of country music. Love the concept of the "outskirts of fun". I think I am on my way there too.

LyricLab A.I assisted chords and lyric app. Export lyrics and import directly into Band-in-a-Box 2024.
https://lyriclab.net
Play-along with songs you know and love, download SGU files
https://playiit.com/
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Cool tune.... swinging honky tonk music in a dive with sawdust on the floor.

BTW: the sawdust on the floor is to keep the dust down. Ever see a herd of cows running?

We played a place one time where the bar keep actually had to add more sawdust because in spite of there being sawdust on the floor, the dancers managed to apparently wear it out and the dust in the air was thicker than the cigarette smoke.

What a dive, but what a fun time we had there.

I like the song.

You can find my music at:
www.herbhartley.com
Add nothing that adds nothing to the music.
You can make excuses or you can make progress but not both.

The magic you are looking for is in the work you are avoiding.
User Showcase
Expert
Expert
Bud and Janice,

Excellent! (As always!) This is the kind of country I grew up listening to. As expected, Janice, you nailed to vocals! You guys keep raising the bar. Good job!

Steve

Steve Young
Music
"In order to compose, all you need to do is remember a tune that nobody else has thought of." - Robert Schumann
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Hi Janice and Bud,
Originally Posted By: rickey2005
Totally not my musical cup of tea at all and I found my toe tapping by the first chorus and totally hooked soon after.

Not necessary to add that Janice's voice is awesome.
Floyd's harmonies are a nice touch.

Guenter

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Hey Janice & Bud, like many other people Country is not my first choice, I'm a Jazz guy, however I know how to appreciate any musical genre (no rap please!)when well played. Love Janice voice!

Mike B.

Music should be part of your life
http://www.soundclick.com/blackcatjazzcafeband
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
expressed mathematically:
Bud + Janice + Floyd = excellent
(or maybe fantastic ^3)

I grew up listening to Ernest Tubb and "Walkin' the Floor Over You", so this was like an old friend. I'd say you did a great job of capturing the feel of the genre (if your ability to make the listener's foot tap involuntarily is any indication)

One thing that really intrigues me about Janice's voice is the way it slides like an eel dancing on butter... yet it always sounds perfectly in tune! The only way I can justify that seeming inconsistency is that she nails the key notes, and everything in between passes as transition. Interesting.

I am also intrigued that so many of your songs fall outside the realm of experience... for example, you've got this rock-solid long standing marriage, but a lot of your songs explore the lives of people who have made very bad relationship decisions. Oddly, that makes perfect sense to me, for the following reason:

Those with wisdom learn by observing the mistakes of others...
the average person learns after making his/her own mistakes...
and the fool repeats the same mistakes for a lifetime without ever learning

My take-away is that your long standing marriage comes from your ability to see where others have gone wrong, and avoid making the same mistakes. And your ability to vicariously examine life's possibilities without actually going there gives you an endless supply of human drama from which to draw for your songs.

Or not. Another attribute of fools is that they just make stuff up then believe it because it pleases them to do so. wink

Whether any of this is true or not, one thing is definitely true: all 3 of you have an uncommonly well-developed feel for what makes a song interesting, and you know how to actualize your ideas into real songs that knock everybody's socks off.

Which is why I'm sitting here without socks, wiggling my toes and listening to your song over and over because it strikes some chord that I never knew needed to be struck.

PS: have you seen any of Kevin Emmrich's posts about Streetjelly.com? I would really like to see you there. You've got all these awesome original songs with backing tracks... your presence there would raise the bar for everybody

User Showcase
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Tom, thanks! This kind of singing comes very natural to Janice -- we've listened to it for decades. And yep, Floyd nailed the harmony. I've seen a lot of folks struggle with that part over the years. A great baritone part harmony singer can always find a place in a bluegrass band.

Rick, thank you very much. Good to hear that you got outa the box for a bit. I crawl out every now and then and realize how much I like most other genres.

Rob, thanks for the comment on the song and particularly on the breaks. Yeah they do take time. Even short ones like these take a lot of cut and pasting to get the right sound.

Thanks Alyn, Hey some of the old tonks had chicken wire to protect the band from the bottles!

Thank you Joanne -- I think in one way or another at some time or another we've all been there. Glad you liked it!

Herb, thanks! I played in one such place and it was a mix up in the booking. Fortunately they liked our bluegrass band and we had a lead singer who could sing country classics so we survived....

Steven, thank you very much. Glad to run into folks here who came along with that kind of music. Janice's father exposed her to a good amount of it when she was a kid.

Guenter, thanks! I'm glad that we can enjoy each other's productions!

Mike, we appreciate that. BTW, Billie Holiday and Lester Young is about as good as it gets!

Pat, thank you for your insightful remarks. I call what Janice does "bent note" singing. When she first started singing I'd encourage her to bend the notes. Listen to Ralph Stanley sing "Oh Death" sometime and you can hear what influenced me. Some of those mournful bluegrass singers could get four notes from the word "of." Most folks when they listen to bluegrass don't get past the high singing or the banjo smile long enough to hear what those singers can do. And, yes, vicariously living out those songs may be the key and Lord knows, like all of us there has been enough drama with family and friends to develop some feel for the pain that can exist in relationships. I'm blessed to not have to live the songs out! Thanks again and I'll never forget the slippery eel on butter!!

Last edited by Janice & Bud; 09/19/13 06:40 PM.
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Hi, Janice & Bud & Floyd !

I am out of superlatives for
this great performance and production
so I simply say: I liked it very much !:)

Cheers
Dani

Last edited by dani48; 09/19/13 12:29 PM.
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Bud and Janice,

Other than Walking The Floor, ET has never been my taste. When I think of Honky Tonk, I think of Hank Williams Honky Tonkin' or his Honky Tonk blues,etc.

I didn't read your link, sorry, I'm from the south so grew up "initiated" with family stories. They were also called "juke joints" because there was usually a jukebox. I think the rest of the country just called them beer joints or dives. But I digress. smile

I like this song. The lyrics are clever in an almost tongue in cheek way and interesting. The tune and chord progression fit it well. Suits Janice's style to a T. I think it's one of your best writes.

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Y'all are just flat-out good.

User Showcase
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Thanks Dani! Glad you liked it.

Thanks Josie, we appreciate the comments! Glad you like the write...it was fun.

Floyd, "flat-out" is good southern speak for "very" and we thank you for the compliment!

Last edited by Janice & Bud; 09/21/13 06:51 PM.
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Well I'll throw mine in . . . Ya'll sure can play!

I loved this tune, production and of course performance.

Later,

User Showcase
Expert
Expert
love the mix, glad that you had the chance to explore your musical fancy

User Showcase
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Hey Danny and Gruve, thanks for checking in and listening. Writing and recording this song was a lot of fun. Glad y'all enjoyed it.

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Hey Janice, Bud and Floyd,

My feet and fingers are still settling down after tapping their way through the song. This sort of music sure makes a fella feel good. I loved the metaphor of the hook. The concept of "outskirts of fun" creates a hundred images in my head. It's very clever use of language.

I've got to say that your compositions continue to leave me wanting more smile

I'm heading back for another listen!

Bye for now,
Noel

MY SONGS...
Audiophile BIAB 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Video: Volume Automation in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created a video to help you learn more about the Volume Automation options in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows.

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Volume Automation

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#volume-automation

Video: Audio Input Monitoring with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created this short video to explain Audio Input Monitoring within Band-in-a-Box® 2024, and included some tips & troubleshooting details too!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Audio Input Monitoring

3:17: Tips
5:10: Troubleshooting

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#audio-input-monitoring

Video: Enhanced Melodists in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®!

We've enhanced the Melodists feature included in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows!

Access the Melodist feature by pressing F7 in the program to open the new MultiPicker Library and locate the [Melodist] tab.

You can now generate a melody on any track in the program - very handy! Plus, you select how much of the melody you want generated - specify a range, or apply it to the whole track.

See the Melodist in action with our video, Band-in-a-Box® 2024: The Melodist Window.

Learn even more about the enhancements to the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024upgrade/chapter3.htm#enhanced-melodist

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Specifically for Reaper®

New with the DAW Plugin Version 6.0, released with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows: the Reaper® Panel!

This new panel offers built-in specific support for the Reaper® DAW API allowing direct transfer of Band-in-a-Box® files to/from Reaper® tracks!

When you run the Plugin from Reaper®, there is a panel to set the following options:
-BB Track(s) to send: This allows you to select the Plugin tracks that will be sent Reaper.
-Destination Reaper Track: This lets you select the destination Reaper track to receive media content from the Plugin.
-At Bar: You can select a bar in Reaper where the Plugin tracks should be placed.
-Start Below Selected Track: This allows you to place the Plugin tracks below the destination Reaper track.
-Overwrite Reaper Track: You can overwrite previous content on the destination Reaper track.
-Move to Project Folder: With this option, you can move the Plugin tracks to the Reaper project folder.
-Send Reaper Instructions Enable this option to send the Reaper Instructions instead of rendering audio tracks, which is faster.
-Render Audio & Instructions: Enable this option to generate audio files and the Reaper instructions.
-Send Tracks After Generating: This allows the Plugin to automatically send tracks to Reaper after generating.
-Send Audio for MIDI Track: Enable this option to send rendered audio for MIDI tracks.
-Send RealCharts with Audio: If this option is enabled, Enable this option to send RealCharts with audio.

Check out this video highlighting the new Reaper®-specific features: Band-in-a-Box® DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Specifically for Reaper®

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Video

The new Band-in-a-Box VST DAW Plugin Verion 6 adds over 20 new features!

Watch the new features video to learn more: Video: Band-in-a-Box® 2024 - DAW Plugin Version 6 New Features

We also list these new features at www.pgmusic.com/bbwin.plugin.htm.

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,389
Posts732,447
Members38,441
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
Ernest J, ingridguerci94, Izzy, BenChaz, Csofi
38,440 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 195