Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
You need to be logged in to post
Options
Index
#21621 - 05/06/09 01:48 PM [Off-Topic] Re: CPU Throttling, or, Well THERE'S your problem! [Re: Mac]
Loc: Kennesaw (Atlanta) GA
Ryszard Online   content
Veteran

Now you've defined what works for you. Groovy. If I had a laptop or a handheld, perhaps I could do those things too. Still prefer paper, myself. Getting whiteout off a lappy screen is a b*tch.

lolz
r.

#21622 - 05/06/09 03:53 PM [Off-Topic] Re: CPU Throttling, or, Well THERE'S your problem! [Re: Ryszard]
Loc: Poulsbo, Wa 98370
Gary Curran Offline
Veteran

Rys,
I'm really going to go where I know I shouldn't.

You might consider replacing the computer.

http://www.costco.com/Browse/Product.asp...671&topnav=

That's a Dell system available at Costco.

This is a ZT system from Costco.

This is another ZT system from Costco

This is from iBuyPower, and may actually be your best bet. It has an Asus mobo (which I use in my computers), a bigger power supply, only a dual core processor, but you really don't need anything else. All of these run 64 bit OS's, and as long as you can get drivers, you should be fine. Lots of companies offer 64 bit drivers for products now.

In any of these choices, you can move the 160 gig hard drive from your old computer, and you'll have to use the monitor you have now. I wouldn't trust to update the BIOS in your old computer, I'm sorry to say. You could, easily, leave yourself in a situation where you'll not be able to use the computer at all until you physically replace the CMOS chips. I don't trust ECS/PCChips at all, I've known too many people who have had issues with them. It is even possible that the 80 gig is still good, and you may be able to save that, as well.

I trust Steve Gibson, but if you have a BIOS issue, then Spinrite can get screwed up. My opinion is that a newer computer will save you a lot of hassles.

I know, I'm sure, that price is an issue, but it's the best solution I have right now.

I went out to iBuyPower's website, and they also have Weekly specials, like this one:
http://www.ibuypower.com/ibp/store/configurator.aspx?mid=69

Plus, you have the ability to custom configure the system. The only things I would do to this system would be to be to put a 500 watt power supply in it for $30, spend an extra $50 to install a second 320GB hard drive, and if you wanted a 20" widescreen monitor, spend $170 more for that. Without the monitor, you're still under $600.

Gary

Edited by Gary Curran (05/06/09 04:02 PM)

#21623 - 05/06/09 05:56 PM [Off-Topic] Re: CPU Throttling, or, Well THERE'S your problem! [Re: Gary Curran]
Ryszard Online   content
Veteran

Gary, I really appreciate the advice. I do. It's not that you shouldn't go there, it's just that I can't. I've nickel and dimed myself on this one, but the 500 Gb WD Caviar drive is it, todo, all there is. In the meantime I am getting useful work out of it, and I think the new drive will make the audio run seamlessly. I don't regret the nickels and dimes, either, because I've learned all along. Even though I've been frustrated along the way, it has led me to where I am now, with a dated but functional DAW. "Everything I know about computers, I learned in self defense."(c)

I've heard comments on Maxtor reliability, mostly from Lawrie as I recall. I lost an unbacked-up Maxtor 60 Gb main drive in my last move; it worked when I packed the machine, didn't when I unpacked it, and I'm the one who moved it. This drive is at least five years old, came out of a SOHO network server, and has half the throughput of my present main drive, so when the WD arrives I pull everything off and build a pr0n cruisin' virus catcher with the old drive, lol. I don't trust it for NOTHIN'.

R.

#21624 - 05/06/09 08:40 PM [Off-Topic] Re: CPU Throttling, or, Well THERE'S your problem! [Re: Ryszard]
Gary Curran Offline
Veteran

And I figured as much, Rys. Still, computer prices are coming down, so at some point in the future, it may be possible to do something.

But, let's concentrate on now.

http://www.pcchips.com.tw/PCCWebSite/Pro...D=1&LanID=0

This is the BIOS flash page, but you need to have version 5.1 motherboard. If you don't, you'll need to see what version of the motherboard you do have, and then get *that* BIOS.

There is a link on that page that shows you where to find the version information.

At the bottom of the page, there is a BIOS flash utility. You can open that up, load the flash data file, and then click whatever it says to do to flash it. You have to follow the directions exactly though. Failure of a flash will render your computer totally useless. Yes, that's scary, no, I've never had an issue with it...don't do it in a thunderstorm where the power may go out, or where you kitten will sit on your UPS switch and turn everything off (mine does that all the time!) You shouldn't have any issues updating the BIOS, it's not very hard.

The thing I like about Steve Gibson is he doesn't give you any B.S. He lays it out and tells you WHY stuff isn't working. Since I've now read the link you posted, you may have the latest BIOS on your computer, if which is the case, then there is no reason to try to update it. As I've said before, I don't trust ESC or PC Chips. You *might* be able to find something compatible with your CPU on ebay.

http://cgi.ebay.com/GIGABYTE-SOCKET-A-MO...93%3A1|294%3A50

Maybe something like that, used, but inexpensive, and I've used Gigabyte in the past (still have one, a 754 socket, runs fine) and have been very happy with it. In fact, my other Gigabyte board now resides in my sister's computer, which is a 939 socket, and that one also continues to work fine.

You can also find Asus, MSI, and others that will work well for Socket A for a relatively inexpensive, more nickles and dimes stuff, that would probably serve you better than the PC Chips mainboard you have now.

http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-ABIT-KG7A-RAID-S...93%3A1|294%3A50

Gary

Edited by Gary Curran (05/06/09 08:43 PM)

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3

PG Music News
Notation Enhancements in Band-in-a-Box® 2019 for Windows!

There are Notation Enhancements in the NEW Band-in-a-Box® 2019 for Windows! These include:
•A new button in the Print Options dialog which lets you quickly print a "chords only" fake sheet. You can also access this from the right-click menu on the chord sheet.
•A new track type (Drums) is now available for The Melody and Soloist tracks.
•Clicking close to a stave line will put a note on the stave line instead of between stave lines. (Previously, you had to click extremely close to a stave line to insert a note on The line.)
•Double-clicking on the Standard mode Notation window (or on the time line in Editable or Staff Roll mode) plays the song from the current time location. Previously, it played the song from the beginning of the current bar.
•Holding down the [Ctrl] key and pressing the zoom in/out buttons results in finest possible incremental adjustment in size.
•In The Notation Windows Options dialog, The clefs split point asterisk indicates that C5* is middle C.
•Pressing The space bar plays the song from the current time location, not the current bar.
•The clefs split point can be set by the spin controls.
•The right-click menu in the Editable or Staff Roll mode Notation window has an option to change the current beat resolution. Previously, the only way to do this was to right-click on the time line.
•There's a keystroke entry notation mode - the 'N' mode, which lets you enter a melody entirely using keystrokes. The keystrokes are N to enter a note, up/down cursor to change its pitch, and left/right cursor to move the time line.
•You can now edit any track in the Event List Editor. When The dialog opens, it will show you the MIDI data in the current Notation track.
•You can quickly enter forced accidentals from the right-click menu.

We talk about these new features within our Band-in-a-Box® 2019 for Windows®! New Features, RealTracks, and other content! video:
25:45 - New Features: Easy Entering of Notation with the 'N' Key
36:48 - Change Beat Resolution From the Right-Click Menu
37:15 - Easier Entry of Notes on Lines
37:42 - Asterisk to Indicate Middle C on & Spin Controls
37:53 - Force Accidental from the Right-Click Menu
38:01 - Edit Any Track in the Event List
38:09 - Keystroke Note Entry Mode 'N' for Faster Note Entry
38:28 - Print Chords Only Fake Sheet
38:32 - More Control of Notation Size

Rather read about it?
-Band-in-a-Box® 2019 for Windows® Upgrade Manual
-New Feature Summary - Notation Enhancements

The New Band-in-a-Box® 2019 for Windows SongPicker!

With Band-in-a-Box® 2019, the SongPicker has been redesigned!
-The completely redesigned window shows information for up to 50,000 songs.
-The song list build is much faster. Approximately 150 songs get added per second.
-A progress bar will appear if the song list build takes longer than 3 seconds.
-You can see the chord progression for the selected song in the list. You can copy and paste it to a text file.
-Many filters are available. You can filter the list by subfolders, genre, feel, time signature, style, songs with melody, soloist, lyrics, key signature, tempo range, and the year of file dates.
-You can search songs that have similar chord progressions and/or melody fragments.
-Hotkey! ss+enter opens the SongPicker, ss2+enter opens the Recently Played Songs, etc.

Learn more about the updates with our New Features Video - we've made it easy to find the section you'll need:
2:55 - New Feature: Redesigned SongPicker
21:58 - New Features: SongPicker Enhancements
41:10 - Now Over 10,600 Titles in SongPicker

You can also read all about the new SongPicker within our Online Band-in-a-Box® 2019 for Windows® Upgrade Manual.

RealBand 2019 Online and PDF Manuals Available!

Visit our Online Manuals support page for access to the latest RealBand 2019 for Windows program manuals!

RealBand 2019 for Windows User's Guide: Online Manual | PDF Download
RealBand 2019 for Windows New Features Guide: Online Manual | PDF Download

RealBand 2019 is included in every purchase of Band-in-a-Box® 2019 for Windows! We're having a SALE on Band-in-a-Box® 2019 Upgrade purchases until December 31, 2018 - save over 40% when you purchase your Band-in-a-Box® 2019 for Windows Upgrade! Check out our Band-in-a-Box® packages page for all the purchase options available

Band-in-a-Box® 2019 Online and PDF Manuals Available!

Visit our Online Manuals support page for access to the latest Band-in-a-Box® 2019 for Windows program manuals!

Band-in-a-Box® 2019 for Windows User's Guide: Online Manual | PDF Download
Band-in-a-Box® 2019 for Windows Upgrade Manual: Online Manual | PDF Download

Don't forget.... We're having a SALE on Band-in-a-Box® 2019 Upgrade purchases until December 31, 2018 - save over 40% when you purchase your Band-in-a-Box® 2019 for Windows Upgrade! Check out our Band-in-a-Box® packages page for all the purchase options available

Band-in-a-Box® 2019 on a USB 3.0 Hard Drive - Speed Thrills!

We're excited to say that all Band-in-a-Box® 2019 for Windows UltraPAK and UltraPAK+ orders now ship on a USB 3.0 hard drive!

What does this mean? Faster hard drive transfer rates will enhance the program operations (faster time to generate tracks, reduced audio artifacts) and offer faster transfer speeds (typically up to 3x faster)!

It's a great time to order your UltraPAK or UltraPAK+ Upgrade... they're ON SALE until December 31st!

Video: Band-in-a-Box® 2019 for Windows® New Features!

Our "Band-in-a-Box® 2019 for Windows®! New Features, RealTracks, and other content!" video is now ready! Get to know all about the newest features in Band-in-a-Box® 2019: Click here to watch...

We have listed a table of contents for this video, you'll see it within the YouTube video description, or by visiting this forum post.

RealBand 2019 - A New Look!

Have you opened up your RealBand 2019 yet? You may notice that we've given it a fresh new look! In fact, there are now 3 different looks to RealBand.

See for yourself! Within the program, visit Options | Icon Set and choose from: Classic, Modern 1, or Modern 2.

Forum Stats
28441 Members
58 Forums
55255 Topics
460249 Posts

Max Online: 2434 @ 11/14/17 12:37 AM
Newest Members
Corrie, BBMaestro, truffaldino, JuliaHolmes, wellington

28441 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
Matt Finley 365
Pipeline 329