Go To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Off-Topic
Ryszard Offline OP
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Or some of it, maybe.

I just ran PC Wizard 2008 per the Hard Drive discussion in another thread. I've reported elsewhere that my 1.8 Ghz CPU was 'erroneously' being shown as running at 1.35. However, PCW confirms this. Given the phrasing--that 10%-100% throttling is being used, how can I crank it back up to its rated capacity?

A further look reveals that the FSB speed was 'initially' 133 Mhz, but now is 100. What is going on?

TIA,

R.

Last edited by Ryszard; 04/29/09 01:09 PM.

"My primary musical instrument is the personal computer."
Off-Topic
Apprentice
Apprentice
Think I would either clear and reconfigure the BIOS or if there is a new BIOS flash and reconfigure. I'd also look on the motherboard for any jumpers that may control FSB (or anything else for that matter) as a lot of old motherboards weren't as "automatic" as the new boards.

I'll offer my unsolicited opinion here as well. Save for a new computer. You will save yourself a world of grief if you simply got a barebones system and started fresh. Then you can enjoy making music. Just my opinion, don't take offense.

DTuna
Off-Topic
Ryszard Offline OP
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Erm, none taken. But this IS a barebones system--just made of old parts, except a brand new WD main drive and fresh install of XP.

R.

Off-Topic
M
Mac Offline
Veteran
Veteran
M
Power Throttling (AMD calls it Powernow!) can indeed be detrimental when the goal is streaming audio. CPU can't ramp up to speed in time to handle the demand load.

There are ways to defeat the Power Throttleback.

AMD or Intel chip?

Off-Topic
Apprentice
Apprentice
Quote:

Power Throttling (AMD calls it Powernow!) can indeed be detrimental when the goal is streaming audio. CPU can't ramp up to speed in time to handle the demand load.

There are ways to defeat the Power Throttleback.

AMD or Intel chip?

Yes I believe you posted about AMD's Powernow quite a while back. Sadly the search function on this board only goes back to last Tuesday! LOL

When will they upgrade their Forum Software!!!

DTuna
Off-Topic
Apprentice
Apprentice
Quote:

Erm, none taken. But this IS a barebones system--just made of old parts, except a brand new WD main drive and fresh install of XP.

R.

Erm, I have a 386 from 1990 in my closet with a new unopened case and powersupply of the same year sitting next to it. Don't know if I would consider it a barebones system. Right now the case works as a door stop!

DTuna
Off-Topic
Apprentice
Apprentice
Just checking in on what could be slowing things down from higher "discrete" component performance ratings: What type of Ram Memory chips are loaded? Even if they may be relatively new, if their timing is slower, or faster than the FSB speed, or some multiple of same, they may be out of synch with the timing of the Front side bus (FSB) which can reduce performance altogether. Data transfer between the memory chips and the FSB may require more than one separate clock cycle if there is a mismatch in timing characteristics, which will also slow the CPU performance as well, since there is a bottleneck in how the parts link up and transfer data. I could be all wet about this instance, but the tip about old parts thrown together made me wonder about how the parts may be possibly mismatched.

FWIW, NEWEGG has some ECS motherboards under a $100 with FSB rating of over 2500 MHZ or 5200 MT/Sec....

DrDuBose
"Gettin' a life."

music at
http://www.bandmix.com/drdubose
Off-Topic
Ryszard Offline OP
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Mac,

AMD Athlon XP 2200+ 1.8 Ghz Pentium IV equivalent.

R.

Off-Topic
Ryszard Offline OP
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Dr D.,

I'm aware of those considerations. I'm pretty sure the RAM is the correct type, and a matched pair. I'd have to open the puppy up to make sure. I'd rather not, but one does what one must.

All y'all,

RE: Getting new anything: Buying a new mobo means a new CPU, RAM, drives--in other words, the new PC I can't afford now. I'm open to donations anytime. Other than that, what you hear is what I got. *g* This thing should be doing what I'm asking it to. It's not like I'm trying to run a 48-track studio or anything. Two at a time is all.

R.

Off-Topic
M
Mac Offline
Veteran
Veteran
M
32 or 64?

Whichever, websearch for how to turn off Powernow! for your specific mobo, chip and OS.

AMD site used to have a downloadable utility, I couldn't find it there just now but that is the site to trust...

--Mac

Off-Topic
Ryszard Offline OP
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Thirty-two bit.

PowerNow seems to be mainly a notebook feature. It is disabled by default in XP (which I just installed) but may be enabled by a newer driver for the processor itself. I've tried to get every update I can less SP3, but don't recall anything for the CPU.

I found that making Power Settings in Control Panel as Desktop/Office or Always On--I usually select one or the other--also disables it.

But the really strange thing to me is that the system is reporting a completely different processor (AMD Athlon XP 1500+, where mine is the 2200+) as well as the lower clock speed. PC Wizard, OTOH, reports the correct initial speed, but also that it is running at 1.35 Ghz--two thirds of rated.

I'll see about doing the BIOS thing.

R.

Last edited by Ryszard; 04/29/09 07:05 PM.

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
I would check the CMOS/BIOS settings. Since you're reporting a FSB of 100 instead of 133, I think that there is most likely an incorrect, or 'default' setting in the CMOS which needs to be corrected.

Some CMOS have an 'Optimal Settings' which is what I would use, instead of the default. Default is often used as a 'safe' setting, to get you back up and running if something bad happens.

I had a hard time finding the stuff for your motherboard, because it's listed as a PC Chips, not an ECS, even though they're the same company. You have an AMI BIOS chip. Enter the BIOS (press Del when told) and go to the CPU Setup Page. Change the CPU Frequency to 133, which will restore your computer to the speed it should be running at. Make sure the DRAM timing is set to Auto.

Gary

Last edited by Gary Curran; 04/29/09 08:26 PM.

I'm blessed watching God do what He does best. I've had a few rough years, and I'm still not back to where I want to be, but I'm on the way and things are looking far better now than what they were!
Off-Topic
R
Veteran
Veteran
R
Gary nailed it here, I believe. I remember this would happen to an old ASUS MOBO I had with an Award BIOS. I could never figure out what would cause it to change, but once a year or so, I had to go into the BIOS and reset the bus speed.

-Scott

Off-Topic
Ryszard Offline OP
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Gary DID nail it, yay! I went in and, sure enough, bus speed had been set back to 100 MHz. Kicked it up to 133 and CPU ID and speed are now correct as well. Can't thank you guys enough.

I've also corrected my sysinfo to reflect the 'PC Chips' mfg instead of ECS.

Okay, now how come on boot the BIOS reports the onboard video chip with 8 Mb VRAM about two thirds of the time, and the AGP board with 64 Mb only about one third of the time? Both are NVidia GeForce, but of different series. Can this be affecting performance as well? I did have an issue in RealBand which turned out to be video related and which was corrected by backing off hardware acceleration all the way. Again, this is in BIOS only. In Windows the system has always reported the correct card.

Through the fog,

R.

Off-Topic
Apprentice
Apprentice
Hard to tell if this is a bios setting issue or possibly a messy registry, but certainly any system running with a "slow" FSB that uses shared Ram for video ala Vram on board chips would be very sensitive to any real time video intensive display demands. I would check the video section of the bios, which by the way may be able to be updated, and in fact may need updating to handle the AGP video card. You might consider simply reinstalling the AGP card to reinitialize that component as the preferred video display driver component. With it reinitialized, which doesn't require any ugly reopening of your box, you should have a more stable and optimized system, that no longer draws off of RAM and some CPU cycling to boot.

DrDuBose
"Gettin' a life."

music at
http://www.bandmix.com/drdubose
Off-Topic
M
Mac Offline
Veteran
Veteran
M
R is an underclocker. (grin)

You hould disable the onboard video in the BIOS when running a separate vid card.

Otherwise the onboard vid will always grab a piece of your physical ram at bootup.

Off-Topic
Ryszard Offline OP
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Dr D,

Doubt it's the registry; the Win install is only two weeks old.

By reinstalling the AGP, do you mean reinstalling OEM drivers, or 'uninstalling' via Device Manager and allowing it to find itself again? Or something else?

Mac,

I don't see an option in BIOS to disable video. What I was able to do was to deny allocation of an IRQ to PCI VGA, which may be the same thing. Also, there are only three options for memory allocation to video: 32, 64, and 128 Mb. I cut it to 32, but I'm not sure what I did really.

Re: Clock speed, what about overclocking? I can kick the FSB up to 166 from the nominal 133. Note that my CPU runs at 55 deg. C at idle, and that PC Wizard reports 14.07 VDC on my 12 V bus. Am I risking anything by going up? I have a case fan I can add.

R.

Off-Topic
M
Mac Offline
Veteran
Veteran
M
I don't recommend overclocking that one for DAW work. The gain is rather slight and not worth the risk IMO.

Overclocking has other implications in the DAW world. For example, that Creative card, which may not like a higher bus speed...

--Mac

Off-Topic
Ryszard Offline OP
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
The Creative card is out of the loop. It is physically in the system, but not in use. I have moved audio and MIDI I/O to the TASCAM US-224. Now, if I could just get it working as a control surface . . .

R.

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Rys,
First, leave the CPU Frequency where it is.

Secondly, if you have an AGP video card installed, under the Advanced setup, set the Shared Memory size to the smallest possible, and set the Video Window to 64 or Auto.

Under the PCI/PnP, make sure the primary graphics adapter is AGP. Unless you have some huge crash and burn conflict, I don't recommend disabling the PCI VGA IRQ.

Gary

I'm blessed watching God do what He does best. I've had a few rough years, and I'm still not back to where I want to be, but I'm on the way and things are looking far better now than what they were!
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Video: Volume Automation in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created a video to help you learn more about the Volume Automation options in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows.

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Volume Automation

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#volume-automation

Video: Audio Input Monitoring with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created this short video to explain Audio Input Monitoring within Band-in-a-Box® 2024, and included some tips & troubleshooting details too!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Audio Input Monitoring

3:17: Tips
5:10: Troubleshooting

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#audio-input-monitoring

Video: Enhanced Melodists in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®!

We've enhanced the Melodists feature included in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows!

Access the Melodist feature by pressing F7 in the program to open the new MultiPicker Library and locate the [Melodist] tab.

You can now generate a melody on any track in the program - very handy! Plus, you select how much of the melody you want generated - specify a range, or apply it to the whole track.

See the Melodist in action with our video, Band-in-a-Box® 2024: The Melodist Window.

Learn even more about the enhancements to the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024upgrade/chapter3.htm#enhanced-melodist

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Specifically for Reaper®

New with the DAW Plugin Version 6.0, released with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows: the Reaper® Panel!

This new panel offers built-in specific support for the Reaper® DAW API allowing direct transfer of Band-in-a-Box® files to/from Reaper® tracks!

When you run the Plugin from Reaper®, there is a panel to set the following options:
-BB Track(s) to send: This allows you to select the Plugin tracks that will be sent Reaper.
-Destination Reaper Track: This lets you select the destination Reaper track to receive media content from the Plugin.
-At Bar: You can select a bar in Reaper where the Plugin tracks should be placed.
-Start Below Selected Track: This allows you to place the Plugin tracks below the destination Reaper track.
-Overwrite Reaper Track: You can overwrite previous content on the destination Reaper track.
-Move to Project Folder: With this option, you can move the Plugin tracks to the Reaper project folder.
-Send Reaper Instructions Enable this option to send the Reaper Instructions instead of rendering audio tracks, which is faster.
-Render Audio & Instructions: Enable this option to generate audio files and the Reaper instructions.
-Send Tracks After Generating: This allows the Plugin to automatically send tracks to Reaper after generating.
-Send Audio for MIDI Track: Enable this option to send rendered audio for MIDI tracks.
-Send RealCharts with Audio: If this option is enabled, Enable this option to send RealCharts with audio.

Check out this video highlighting the new Reaper®-specific features: Band-in-a-Box® DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Specifically for Reaper®

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Video

The new Band-in-a-Box VST DAW Plugin Verion 6 adds over 20 new features!

Watch the new features video to learn more: Video: Band-in-a-Box® 2024 - DAW Plugin Version 6 New Features

We also list these new features at www.pgmusic.com/bbwin.plugin.htm.

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,391
Posts732,461
Members38,439
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
MIX-I-MUSIX 2.0, Ernest J, ingridguerci94, Izzy, BenChaz
38,441 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 195