Print Thread
Go To
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Off-Topic
J
Veteran
Veteran
J
I watched Kurt for maybe 5 or 6 minutes and he seemed very smooth. using backing tracks...making it work pretty well with the occasional dropout.

LaniLei's music was too low but you could just make it out.

I think this emulates live performance pretty well because you are performing live and folks are listening live so it is very different than a YouTube video. plus there is some interaction between listeners and the artist as well as the opportunity to tip the artist.

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: JohnJohnJohn
it would be cool if someone could ask PG to add a sticky just for posting updated schedules of performances. I keep meaning to check some of you guys out but end up forgetting or cannot find the post with the date, etc.

if you go to SJ and bookmark the site to your favorites bar, it will always be 1 click away. Everybody that has a date scheduled will be on the top 1 or 2 rows, so you can see who's scheduled very easily.
(It also helps you avoid anyone who has already wasted your time once)

Even easier, if you sign up (free) you can make anybody a favorite... which only means you'll be notified by email before they perform. If they don't schedule and just decide to perform on the spur of the moment, you'll still get an email, but it probably won't arrive until they're already playing.

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: rockstar_not
Lani Lei is on right now, nice voice - singing into her headset mic, but her background music is not playing.

Kurt- is also live, and he has a decent mix going and some nice woody sounding fingerpicking acoustic guitar.

What I'm wondering - what benefit does this have over simply recording videos for playback on YouTube?

Here comes his first transition - flipping through sheet music while the drum machine and 4 chord sequence goes on and on.....noodling, noodling....

This has been going on about 5 minutes - same chord sequence, and the words 'frozen generation, we are', repeated ad nauseum. This guy is clearly trying to write this song live in front of his online audience.

Is this typical?

I hope no one thinks I am some kind of snob by saying this but in all do respect that kind of (the noodling guy, we'll call it a performance for this discussion) would never have held me for 2 minutes much less 5. I look at these as I do regular gigs, and by that I mean if the act does not care enough about the performance by making an attempt to get their act together I let my feet do the voting. On streetjelly it's easier I just let the mouse to the voting.

I know I am old school but I feel any performer no matter what level, owes it to their audience, either live, recorded or broadcast to plan to the best of their ability a show that is designed to engage and entertain their audience and for God's sake not waste their time jacking around when they are supposed to be performing.

Now get off of Rharv's lawn! Sorry got on a roll there.:>

Later,

Last edited by Danny C.; 10/09/13 08:03 PM. Reason: noodling guy
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: chulaivet1966
DannyC.....

In all my subjectivity my perceptions are a bit different than yours . smile

So...I'm only going to say best to you with your upcoming gig on the site.
I can easily relate to the excitement of playing to an audience.

Do keep us informed of your booking date and I'll try to add to the 'viewer' field.

Carry on....

EDIT: John3x has good suggestion IMO.

chulaivet1966,

I do enjoy playing nearly 100 live shows a year and really not 100% committed to playing on the streetjelly site, but also not ruling it out as I do believe it would be a good place to workout some new material before taking it live. Besides it seems like a good way to see and hear some old PGMusic Forum friends.

Later,

PS: My bride tells me I "carry on" a bit too much.:>

Off-Topic
J
Veteran
Veteran
J
so far I am not seeing anything much different than various open mics I go to! I think that is a better model to compare to than a paid gig with pros. yeah, if I paid $25 you better not be farting around with your notes (or using backing tracks but that's another thread!) but considering the setup and the newness you are seeing this thing evolve into what it will become. I'd bet money that, if it survives and takes off, you'll have more pros doing this a year from now.

Off-Topic
Expert
Expert
Originally Posted By: Danny C.
I know I am old school but I feel any performer no matter what level, owes it to their audience, either live, recorded or broadcast to plan to the best of their ability a show that is designed to engage and entertain their audience and for God's sake not waste their time jacking around when they are supposed to be performing.

I agree totally....

But, that's not what I've observed on SJ.
So, I'm likely in the minority and all the participants do it for different reasons.

Do carry on...(but not around your wife smile )

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: chulaivet1966

I agree totally....

But, that's not what I've observed on SJ.
So, I'm likely in the minority and all the participants do it for different reasons.

Do carry on...(but not around your wife smile )

I think we agree, but I am starting to get confused.:>

Over and out.

Later,

Off-Topic
Expert
Expert
I think we agree, but I am starting to get confused.:>

Yes...we're in agreement.

Great sig BTW...:)

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
After listening to SJ for a while now and watching the 3 artists that are playing right now, …, I’ve reached the conclusion that SJ is kinda like church.

Even people who can’t play or sing get to take a turn!

Hehe

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: bobcflatpicker
After listening to SJ for a while now and watching the 3 artists that are playing right now, …, I’ve reached the conclusion that SJ is kinda like church.

Hehe

I hear ya!

Later,

Off-Topic
J
Veteran
Veteran
J

Hehe

there's room in the world for people of all skill levels. you're not being charged anything to watch!

Off-Topic
Expert
Expert
...there's room in the world for people of all skill levels. you're not being charged anything to watch!

John^3: I like the way you think!

Now at bandcamp: Crows Say Vee-Eh @ bandcamp or soundcloud: Kevin @ soundcloud
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
although I agree with ALL of the criticisms being made, I don't think they provide a fair representation of Streetjelly or of the greater topic of excellence vs everything else.

when you find yourself in a dark room, you can curse the darkness, or you can light a candle. In this case, lighting a candle involves joining and performing in a way that raises the standard from your point of view.

If you don't vote, don't complain about the outcome of the election. If you don't participate in some activity, don't complain that they didn't do it the way you would have done it.

Exercise your existence by participating in life, not by just watching and criticizing from the sidelines.

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran

Hehe

there's room in the world for people of all skill levels. you're not being charged anything to watch!

I hear you too!

Later,

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
My memory for names is terrible but the blues guitarist was absolutely stellar last night. There is also a little girl covering show tunes that mesmerized me. She has everything necessary for stardom - cuteness, a fabulous voice, and plays guitar, very personable. I think her name is Lana.

I don't expect perfection on SJ, just folks sharing their hearts and mutual love of home brew music. It was reminiscent of jam sessions of my youth. I love SJ.

Our very own Joanne Cooper is warming up in the wings and I wouldn't miss her performance for all the "p" in Mississippi.

Also, don't forget our own beloved Pat Marr this morning. He is a multi-talented friend to all whom he comes in contact with.

Last edited by Don Gaynor; 10/12/13 08:01 AM.
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: Pat Marr
although I agree with ALL of the criticisms being made, I don't think they provide a fair representation of Streetjelly or of the greater topic of excellence vs everything else.

when you find yourself in a dark room, you can curse the darkness, or you can light a candle. In this case, lighting a candle involves joining and performing in a way that raises the standard from your point of view.

If you don't vote, don't complain about the outcome of the election. If you don't participate in some activity, don't complain that they didn't do it the way you would have done it.

Exercise your existence by participating in life, not by just watching and criticizing from the sidelines.

I hear you too!

Man I hear everyone today, looks like a great day. I will also be hearing Kevin, Joanne and you/Pat later this AM, can't wait!

PS: I might even spring for a tip or two. Now don't go buying that new car until you see how much my tip will be.

Later,

Last edited by Danny C.; 10/12/13 07:45 AM. Reason: Joanne not Josie today!
Off-Topic
Expert
Expert
Originally Posted By: Don Gaynor
... There is also a little girl covering show tunes that mesmerized me. She has everything necessary for stardom - cuteness, a fabulous voice, and plays guitar, very personable. I think her name is Lana...

She is related to Brent mason -- I am not sure exactly how, but her brother, AlexM, and her Dad, Randy Mason, are on there, too.

Now at bandcamp: Crows Say Vee-Eh @ bandcamp or soundcloud: Kevin @ soundcloud
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Quote:
I don't expect perfection on SJ, just folks sharing their hearts and mutual love of home brew music. It was reminiscent of jam sessions of my youth. I love SJ.

first time I ever went to an open mike, I was appalled. I thought it should be like paid entertainment, but free.

But the more I went, I saw a grass-roots thread running through every single act.. and it occurred to me that, while I may not be watching music at its most REFINED state, it certainly seemed like music in its most HONEST state.

What's more honest than people overcoming their natural inhibitions in order to get up in front of people and do what they enjoy? My conclusion is that what we see on SJ and open mics in general is that fundamental honest yearning to make music. I identify with that. I make no profession of excellence, but I sure do enjoy playing.

And it is my perception that Frankie, the owner of SJ, is also one of those rare people who isn't just in it for money... he truly strikes me as a person who enjoys sponsoring something that gives joy to others. If you try to fake it, you'll eventually slip up... but all of Frankies interaction with the SJ community is consistent in that regard. He's earned MY respect.

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Pat, other than the technical glitch this morning, your broadcast was wonderful. Thank you so much. I'm adding you to my list of celebrities I've known.

Wasn't Joanne Cooper simply wonderful?

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Quote:
She is related to Brent mason -- I am not sure exactly how, but her brother, AlexM, and her Dad, Randy Mason, are on there, too.

@Kevin - Aw so. I discovered her last name was Mason by following her YT links. She's destined for stardom with Brent on her team (assuming). She was all personality bundled in talent. She has the looks needed these days. I marked her to follow.

Here's Lana and dad doing "Stand By Me" on YT:

http://youtu.be/fZW6PxYDvlI

To my tired old ears she has perfect pitch and she's cute as the proverbial bug's ear. I think we'll be hearing a lot more out of this young lady. It's so refreshing to see a little girl dress and act appropriately for her age.

Last edited by Don Gaynor; 10/12/13 12:36 PM.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Update Your PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 Today!

Add updated printing options, enhanced tracks settings, smoother use of MGU and SGU (BB files) within PowerTracks, and more with the latest PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 update!

Learn more about this free update for PowerTracks Pro Audio & download it at www.pgmusic.com/support_windows_pt.htm#2024_5

The Newest RealBand 2024 Update is Here!

The newest RealBand 2024 Build 5 update is now available!

Download and install this to your RealBand 2024 for updated print options, streamlined loading and saving of .SGU & MGU (BB) files, and to add a number of program adjustments that address user-reported bugs and concerns.

This free update is available to all RealBand 2024 users. To learn more about this update and download it, head to www.pgmusic.com/support.realband.htm#20245

The Band-in-a-Box® Flash Drive Backup Option

Today (April 5) is National Flash Drive Day!

Did you know... not only can you download your Band-in-a-Box® Pro, MegaPAK, or PlusPAK purchase - you can also choose to add a flash drive backup copy with the installation files for only $15? It even comes with a Band-in-a-Box® keychain!

For the larger Band-in-a-Box® packages (UltraPAK, UltraPAK+, Audiophile Edition), the hard drive backup copy is available for only $25. This will include a preinstalled and ready to use program, along with your installation files.

Backup copies are offered during the checkout process on our website.

Already purchased your e-delivery version, and now you wish you had a backup copy? It's not too late! If your purchase was for the current version of Band-in-a-Box®, you can still reach out to our team directly to place your backup copy order!

Note: the Band-in-a-Box® keychain is only included with flash drive backup copies, and cannot be purchased separately.

Handy flash drive tip: Always try plugging in a USB device the wrong way first? If your flash drive (or other USB plug) doesn't have a symbol to indicate which way is up, look for the side with a seam on the metal connector (it only has a line across one side) - that's the side that either faces down or to the left, depending on your port placement.

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows® Today!

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows for free with build 1111!

With this update, there's more control when saving images from the Print Preview window, we've added defaults to the MultiPicker for sorting and font size, updated printing options, updated RealTracks and other content, and addressed user-reported issues with the StylePicker, MIDI Soloists, key signature changes, and more!

Learn more about this free update for Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/support_windowsupdates.htm#1111

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 Review: 4.75 out of 5 Stars!

If you're looking for a in-depth review of the newest Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows version, you'll definitely find it with Sound-Guy's latest review, Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows Review: Incredible new capabilities to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs.

A few excerpts:
"The Tracks view is possibly the single most powerful addition in 2024 and opens up a new way to edit and generate accompaniments. Combined with the new MultiPicker Library Window, it makes BIAB nearly perfect as an 'intelligent' composer/arranger program."

"MIDI SuperTracks partial generation showing six variations – each time the section is generated it can be instantly auditioned, re-generated or backed out to a previous generation – and you can do this with any track type. This is MAJOR! This takes musical experimentation and honing an arrangement to a new level, and faster than ever."

"Band in a Box continues to be an expansive musical tool-set for both novice and experienced musicians to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs, as well as an extensive educational resource. It is huge, with hundreds of functions, more than any one person is likely to ever use. Yet, so is any DAW that I have used. BIAB can do some things that no DAW does, and this year BIAB has more DAW-like functions than ever."

Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,587
Posts734,745
Members38,500
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
Krystal Mcclain, Tusar Sarkar, RTW, wtsy365, DerFlex
38,500 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 191