Go To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#218030 10/14/13 02:21 AM
User Showcase
ROG Offline OP
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
After a brief and unsuccessful flirtation with auto-tune, I've decided to go back to singing off-key which is, after all, what I do best. I've even thrown in a bit of falsetto this time! Fortunately, the lovely Jessie and Courtney are there to help keep me in check.

We're still flying the flag for PowerTracks, so no RTs. Backing is guitar, bass, drums, brass and Hammond and then we somehow used up another thirty two tracks assembling the vocals.

LIFE IS WHAT YOU MAKE IT
I met this girl the other day
She stole my heart in some strange way
And she said don't you know you must
Never take anyone on trust
Because life is what you make it
Take your time don't try to fake it
Because life, can be so strange it
Turns around on you every time you try to change it

Every time you see a chance, take it
Anyway at all, you know you can, make it

She said when you look at me
All you know is what you see
But love is never at first sight
Just give it time and hold on tight
Because life is what you make it
Take your time don't try to fake it
Because life, can be so strange
It turns around every time you try to change it.

A bit experimental, this one, but hope at least some of you like it.

ROG.

User Showcase
Expert
Expert
Hi ROG,

You made me smile.

I like it.

Intro could be shorter, but, well done.

George

Windows 11 64 bit, Biab 2023 1006, Realband 2023 (1)
i7 Desktop Computer 16Gb Memory

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
ROG

Good stuff, you certainly have the 80's vibe going. This could be Paul Young and Pepsi and Shirley!!

Good ending, perfect length
Your vocals are all right, I've heard worse....ME!!!
Keep 'em coming

Alyn

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Hi ROG,

This is great! When I listened, I heard hours and hours of work in getting this together. The arrangement, the mix, the performances are amazing. I never cease being impressed at how professional sounding your Powertracks Pro mixes are. You definitely have the knack!

A huge round of applause to all involved with this one!

All the best,
Noel

P.S. For what it's worth, I never use autotune. I usually use the Reatune plugin in Reaper to manually adjust those notes that are in need of a bit of massaging. It usually takes me about 10 - 15 minutes to work through the vocal track. It's very easy to do. I also have Melodyne and the tuning plugin in iZotope Nectar. They took a bit of time to master but they're good at the odd manual adjustment too.

MY SONGS...
Audiophile BIAB 2024
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Rog,

Man, I just LOVE your songs! And I can't even articulate why.. there's just some mysterious quality that I can't put into words! But I'll try anyway...

For starters, your songs are highly original to my ears. Most songs in a songwriters forum tend to sound like modifications of existing songs. Rarely do I hear a song that doesn't remind me of something else. But your songs NEVER sound like another song to me... your chord structures, instrumentation, vocals etc are all signature ROG from start to finish.

And I don't understand why you say you can't sing... To me, the difference between a relaxed vocal style and somebody who can't sing is whether the song grates on your nerves when you listen to it. Your songs sound good. 'Nuff said.

finally, your mixing experience always produces a masterful end product. I'd kill for the ability to mix like you. Well, maybe not kill... but I would consider choking somebody a little bit.

Anyway, yet another remarkably innovative song! I am inspired!

(but I'm not sure if its a good thing or a bad thing to be inspired and incompetent at the same time. it just leads to frustration)

;-)

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Hi Rog

Loved your song. Great vibe to it right out of the gate. Excellent message in the lyrics.

Scott C

Scott Collingwood
https://soundcloud.com/scottt709
https://soundcloud.com/spiritlevel-ca
https://www.youtube.com/@SpiritLevel-ge3hm/
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Hi Rog & Co !

I too liked this very much !:))
I just love the caribbean feel
of the tune and your common superb
execution of this lovely tune !:)))

Cheers
Dani

Last edited by dani48; 10/14/13 05:28 AM.
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Hi ROG and the girls,

nice production. Very laid back.

Guenter

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
ROG,

Pat is right... you have a sound that is uniquely your own. Even the sound of "the girls" is like no other. That alone makes your songs a joy to listen to.

The drums in this are nice. Your guitar solo is excellent! Your vocal in this is less "confident" than your vocals typically are. In other songs that you have sung there is a "punch" to your natural cadence that makes that vocal an integral part of the music. That "Tom Petty attitude" thing (which, you know, I really like). This one doesn't have that same quality. The best way I can think to explain it is that it doesn't have "the meatiness" that it should. Could be the effect that is applied (or not applied).

I think it would have been very effective to let the girls have the whole line on both of the "Because life..." lines - a call-and-response thing... (not that I have anything against your falsetto..) it just seemed to be set up well for that.

Oh, and the rhythm guitar was cool, too - the organ, too....

floyd

User Showcase
ROG Offline OP
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
George - Glad it raised a smile. After years of having to do short intros for radio, I can sometimes be a bit gratuitous with them these days!

Alyn - Still love the 80s. Hey, maybe we should do a duet sometime?

Noel - Thanks for all the positives. I do still fix vocals for other people, but the girls don't need it and I think I'm just beyond help!

Pat - You make me blush every time. (But don't stop!)

Scott, Dani, Guenter - Thanks for all the nice words, guys.

Floyd - Always value your input. I know what you mean about the vocal - the gravel is missing. I think it was something about having to get in and out of falsetto, right on the break-point that made it difficult. I'll make sure it's back next time!

Thanks to all.

ROG.

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
I like this.

Well done and nice job on the recording.

I would bump the vox up a bit, a few db should do it nicely....

32 tracks...wow..I assume that's all the tracks included.... not just vox.

Send the vox to a vocal buss...at least that's what I do. That way you can easily raise the entire vocal mix up or down as needed.

There were only a few places where the vox being out of tune was noticeable. I don't have autotune so I'm not sure if it can be used in a transparent manner.... but there is no problem with using it to nudge some notes to the proper pitch as long as it can do it in a clean manner.

All in all....I liked what you did with this tune.

Last edited by Guitarhacker; 10/16/13 06:44 AM.

You can find my music at:
www.herbhartley.com
Add nothing that adds nothing to the music.
You can make excuses or you can make progress but not both.

The magic you are looking for is in the work you are avoiding.
User Showcase
ROG Offline OP
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Herb - thanks for the comments.

Actually the 32 tracks were all vox. There are a lot of bits and pieces coming and going in this track and they're all tracked-up several times to get that effect. The single word "life" in the chorus has 12 tracks in it, 13 if you include me.

I still do everything in Powertracks and each of the vocal parts has it's own sub-mix assigned to one of the 16 available groups with any effects routed to the group as well. Once that's done, the mix almost does itself.

For the type of work I do, I still rate Powertracks as the best DAW I've worked with.

ROG.

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Man, I thought I was using a lot of tracks for vocals when I hit 10 on "Missing Person (2012 version)"

and 4 to 6 on my normal stuff..... but my tracks too are generally one take.... And, I will use the empty part of an existing track to add something new later on rather than add another track to the project. But that's just how I work....

Waste not want not my momma used to always tell me...... but momma.... I have 258 tracks available..... I don't care son.... be frugal.

www.herbhartley.com

User Showcase
ROG Offline OP
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Herb - Old habits die hard!

I remember working with tape in the 70s and 80s when all the little bits and pieces got stacked up on the last available track. It was OK if you were one of the lucky ones working on an SSL with Total Recall, but usually it'd be an old Soundcraft or Allen and Heath with no automation at all.

These days I like the luxury of a new track for every part, but I still find myself occasionally doing a sub-mix instead of using a group buss, just because it's how I had to work in the past and it keeps the screen tidy.

It's just old dogs and new tricks, I guess...

ROG.

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: ROG
Herb - Old habits die hard!

I remember working with tape in the 70s and 80s when all the little bits and pieces got stacked up on the last available track. It was OK if you were one of the lucky ones working on an SSL with Total Recall, but usually it'd be an old Soundcraft or Allen and Heath with no automation at all.

These days I like the luxury of a new track for every part, but I still find myself occasionally doing a sub-mix instead of using a group buss, just because it's how I had to work in the past and it keeps the screen tidy.

It's just old dogs and new tricks, I guess...

ROG.

At least we don't need a sharp razor blade and splicing tape anymore....right?

Yeah.. that was fun..

www.herbhartley.com

User Showcase
M
Journeyman
Journeyman
M
Nice work!
– kind of african rhythms on a straight groove and lots of "happy" vocals. Interesting! Really enjoyed it! A touch of many things, even Talking Heads ;-)

MacUser!
User Showcase
ROG Offline OP
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Molsenhouse - Thanks for the listen.

This was, indeed, more of an experiment with rhythm rather than chord structure.

Always a fan of Talking Heads, so thanks for that.

ROG.

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Duet.... now that would sound interesting!! A Yorkshire Welsh version of Chas and Dave...ROG and Dai!!
I am going to, as an experiment, have a crack at that idea over the weekend. It'll take my mind off the chaos in my life at the moment crazy

Alyn

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
32 tracks! Oh Boy!!! I once did Eve Of The War from War Of The Worlds and ended up with 25 tracks on the Cakewalk GTPro2- Boy did I get confused!!
It all worked out alright in the end - just like this. Loved the beat for this. I liked all of it - even the wonky vocal. You aint ever heard me try to sing - you dont want to either. It sort of fitted right in and the girls are a superb backing group. Excellent band you have constructed there - even a bit of Tele on OD perhaps, although it sounded a bit "warm" for a Tele?
Exellent.
cheers
ian

Old Guys Rule.The older I get,the better I was!
BB2023 ULTRA, 1013, Win 7 and 10

ALL TRACKS - https://app.box.com/s/501rnzrbadng1elvi45hbf7y08kl5oxp
SOUNDCLOUD-tracks using BB-
http://soundcloud.com/sixchannel
Videos-
https://youtube.com/user/Sixchannel1
User Showcase
ROG Offline OP
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Many thanks, Ian.

You're really good at spotting which guitars are in use - you've been right before on my tracks. The rhythm guitar is a Tele on this one, but the one which you thought was warmer is an old Jazzmaster. These are difficult to spot, but you were certainly on the right lines - very similar to the Tele with just that bit of extra warmth and smoothness.

Thanks for the listen.

ROG.

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Video: Volume Automation in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created a video to help you learn more about the Volume Automation options in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows.

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Volume Automation

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#volume-automation

Video: Audio Input Monitoring with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created this short video to explain Audio Input Monitoring within Band-in-a-Box® 2024, and included some tips & troubleshooting details too!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Audio Input Monitoring

3:17: Tips
5:10: Troubleshooting

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#audio-input-monitoring

Video: Enhanced Melodists in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®!

We've enhanced the Melodists feature included in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows!

Access the Melodist feature by pressing F7 in the program to open the new MultiPicker Library and locate the [Melodist] tab.

You can now generate a melody on any track in the program - very handy! Plus, you select how much of the melody you want generated - specify a range, or apply it to the whole track.

See the Melodist in action with our video, Band-in-a-Box® 2024: The Melodist Window.

Learn even more about the enhancements to the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024upgrade/chapter3.htm#enhanced-melodist

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Specifically for Reaper®

New with the DAW Plugin Version 6.0, released with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows: the Reaper® Panel!

This new panel offers built-in specific support for the Reaper® DAW API allowing direct transfer of Band-in-a-Box® files to/from Reaper® tracks!

When you run the Plugin from Reaper®, there is a panel to set the following options:
-BB Track(s) to send: This allows you to select the Plugin tracks that will be sent Reaper.
-Destination Reaper Track: This lets you select the destination Reaper track to receive media content from the Plugin.
-At Bar: You can select a bar in Reaper where the Plugin tracks should be placed.
-Start Below Selected Track: This allows you to place the Plugin tracks below the destination Reaper track.
-Overwrite Reaper Track: You can overwrite previous content on the destination Reaper track.
-Move to Project Folder: With this option, you can move the Plugin tracks to the Reaper project folder.
-Send Reaper Instructions Enable this option to send the Reaper Instructions instead of rendering audio tracks, which is faster.
-Render Audio & Instructions: Enable this option to generate audio files and the Reaper instructions.
-Send Tracks After Generating: This allows the Plugin to automatically send tracks to Reaper after generating.
-Send Audio for MIDI Track: Enable this option to send rendered audio for MIDI tracks.
-Send RealCharts with Audio: If this option is enabled, Enable this option to send RealCharts with audio.

Check out this video highlighting the new Reaper®-specific features: Band-in-a-Box® DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Specifically for Reaper®

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Video

The new Band-in-a-Box VST DAW Plugin Verion 6 adds over 20 new features!

Watch the new features video to learn more: Video: Band-in-a-Box® 2024 - DAW Plugin Version 6 New Features

We also list these new features at www.pgmusic.com/bbwin.plugin.htm.

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,395
Posts732,499
Members38,441
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
zagrajbarke, Ernest J, Izzy, BenChaz, Csofi
38,440 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 195