You need to be logged in to post
Options
Index
#218813 - 10/22/13 01:07 PM [User Showcase] "Goodbye, Cabrini-Green"
Loc: Washington State
bluage Offline
Journeyman

Title & background information: “Goodbye, Cabrini-Green”. The idea for the song came to me instantly upon reading a newspaper article in 2010 that reported on the planned demolition of "Cabrini-Green", a notorious "low-income" housing project on Chicago's near-North side. I had relatives who had lived in other low-rise housing sites in my home town of Chicago. In my opinion, these “projects” were nothing more than vertically-constructed concentration camps for warehousing poor people, so I imagined the residents may have felt some relief at being released from the place, even though they faced an uncertain future as a result of their sudden, involuntary eviction. I wanted the composition, “Goodbye, Cabrini-Green” to invoke a sense of freedom along with a blues-tinged sense of hope for the future.

Tracks recorded by me: The melody track, on a Yamaha Portatone PSR-232 keyboard.

Tracks generated by BIAB: Bass, drums, piano, strings (into which a tenor sax solo was patched, #782, Sax, Tenor, Solosit Jazz Waltz, Sw 140, featuring Mr. P.J. Perry).

Real Tracks used: Real Drums in Song: #24, JazzOlderWaltz^1-a:Brushes, b:Sticks, featuring Mr. Craig Scott.

Other programs used: Sequenced and bounced-down to audio in Cakewalk Music Creator Pro 24; the acoustic bass and acoustic piano were rendered through BIAB’s “Hi-Q” instruments in SampleTank; the melody track was cloned and the two subsequent tracks were patched with a tenor sax and a trumpet from “First Call Horns” virtual brass instruments; applied reverb and compression to all audio tracks with Sony Sound Forge Audio Studio.

Link:
http://www.soundclick.com/bands/page_songInfo.cfm?bandID=1321235&songID=12539237

To the folks on the forum who helped me solve a problem I had encountered during the creation of this song -- Noel96, Matt Finley, BarryKJ, cubanpete, VideoTrack, Guitarhacker, MarioD, and Mac – I wish you gents were my next-door neighbors so I could barbeque some ribs, cook some collard greens with turnips and smoked turkey-tails, whip up a macaroni & cheese casserole, and make cole slaw for you! Thank you for your help.

Edited by bluage (10/22/13 01:17 PM)

#218847 - 10/22/13 06:58 PM [User Showcase] Re: "Goodbye, Cabrini-Green" [Re: bluage]
Loc: Helsinki, Finland
dani48 Offline
Veteran

Loc: Helsinki, Finland
Hi, Bluage !:))

What a wonderful piece of music !!!!
For a second "take five" came to my mind
but your tune was equally intriguing
and brilliant ! ::))))

I loved it !

Cheers
Dani

Edited by dani48 (10/22/13 06:58 PM)

#218867 - 10/22/13 10:12 PM [User Showcase] Re: "Goodbye, Cabrini-Green" [Re: bluage]
Loc: Edmonton, Ab, Canada
Scott C Offline
Veteran

Loc: Edmonton, Ab, Canada
This song has a neat rhythm to it. Very nice listen

#218876 - 10/23/13 07:42 AM [User Showcase] Re: "Goodbye, Cabrini-Green" [Re: bluage]
Guitarhacker Offline
Veteran

Well done.... yeah, with that menu you listed I wish we were neighbors too. You had me at ribs and collards.....

Glad I could offer some useful advice.

The song is good.

Change is always going on. Sometimes it's good to see blighted buildings torn down but there are lots of memories attached to them.... some bad but many good. It's good to see that this inspired a song.

Well done.

Add nothing that adds nothing to the music

#218878 - 10/23/13 07:53 AM [User Showcase] Re: "Goodbye, Cabrini-Green" [Re: bluage]
Loc: Florida
tommyad Offline
Veteran

Blu, That's some big city sound. I like the triplets at the end . Good mix. I enjoyed. Thanks for posting, Tom

#218882 - 10/23/13 08:41 AM [User Showcase] Re: "Goodbye, Cabrini-Green" [Re: bluage]
floyd jane Offline
Veteran

Very nice - an enjoyable listen. It had a "joyful, carefree" feeling, I thought...

Actually wanted it to be a tad longer (you'll seldom hear me say that!)

floyd

#218893 - 10/23/13 10:20 AM [User Showcase] Re: "Goodbye, Cabrini-Green" [Re: bluage]
Loc: Karlsruhe, Germany
boehm Offline
Veteran

Loc: Karlsruhe, Germany
Hi Bluage,

like Dani said, "take five" came to my mind
but your tune was equally intriguing and brilliant.
Very enjoyable listen.

Guenter

#218901 - 10/23/13 11:23 AM [User Showcase] Re: "Goodbye, Cabrini-Green" [Re: boehm]
Loc: Canyon Lake, TX
Steve Young Offline
Expert

Loc: Canyon Lake, TX
Originally Posted By: boehm
Hi Bluage,

like Dani said, "take five" came to my mind
but your tune was equally intriguing and brilliant.
Very enjoyable listen.

Guenter

+1

Very nice!

Steve

#218920 - 10/23/13 01:27 PM [User Showcase] Re: "Goodbye, Cabrini-Green" [Re: dani48]
bluage Offline
Journeyman

Hi, "dani48"...

Yeah, "Take Five" is music for the ages, for sure! Dave Brubeck, Paul Desmond, Joe Morello, and Eugene Wright brought something into being that increased not only the appreciation of "jazz" music, but also music in general.

You could imagine my delight when I discovered that BIAB had a Brubeck-inspired style. If there was an international forum on what particular software product had done the most to advance the art and the practice of making music in this world, I feel certain that Band-in-a-Box would have to be nominated for consideration, at the very least.

Thank you for listening and commenting on the song.

Sincerely,

bluage

#218921 - 10/23/13 01:32 PM [User Showcase] Re: "Goodbye, Cabrini-Green" [Re: Scott C]
bluage Offline
Journeyman

Hello, "Scottt709"...

Just about every other song I compose is written in waltz time, regardless of genre. There is something about that particular rhythm that just makes me feel happier whenever and wherever I hear it.

Thanks for listening and sharing your thoughts!

bluage

#218924 - 10/23/13 02:10 PM [User Showcase] Re: "Goodbye, Cabrini-Green" [Re: Guitarhacker]
bluage Offline
Journeyman

Howdy, "Guitarhacker"...

Well, maybe someday the folks at PG Music will host a big ol' Band-in-a-Box convention so all of us users of their software can meet, greet, and eat!!!

You're certainly right about "change", and your observation about the memories that are attached to old buildings that are torn down stirs lots of emotions within me.

The neighborhood in Chicago that I was born and raised-up in was so raggedy that it would be described as a slum by most observers. Abandoned buildings and vacant lots that ended up as dumping grounds...sidewalks where you could step on someone's front teeth lying in a patch of drying blood from last night's street-fight, and so on...

But, don't you know that whenever I think about that place, sometimes I have to fight to hold back tears of nostalgia, not because I was miserable growing-up, but because as child I had no idea that it could be considered a miserable place to live! I was happy as a kid eating taffy playing baseball, or "King-of-the-hill", or hide-and-seek, in vacant lots, in alley-ways that reeked of garbage, or amongst those dangerous abandoned buildings. I didn't know any better. I was having fun!

Your comments on the song are appreciated!

bluage

#218925 - 10/23/13 02:24 PM [User Showcase] Re: "Goodbye, Cabrini-Green" [Re: tommyad]
bluage Offline
Journeyman

Hey, there, "tommyad"...

Big cities are great inspirations for jazz and blues music, huh? Bright lights, noises that excite you, with midnight shadows and sounds that put the "fright" in you!

Thank you for listening and commenting on the song!

bluage

#218926 - 10/23/13 02:38 PM [User Showcase] Re: "Goodbye, Cabrini-Green" [Re: floyd jane]
bluage Offline
Journeyman

Hello, "floyd jane"...

I'm pleased to know that the song imparted the "joyful, carefree" sound you described.

On a forum for Cakewalk music software users, I came across a post that read: "Music is what feelings sound like." I think the young lady who posted it was right-on, don't you?

Regarding the song's length, since the melody is stated by a saxophone AND a trumpet, I wanted to include a trumpet solo, too, but I am more fond of songs that have brief playing times, like the ones I heard on the radio during the 60's. They came on the air, they hit, they scored, and then they went away, which left me wanting more.

Thanks for lending me your ears!

bluage

#218927 - 10/23/13 02:46 PM [User Showcase] Re: "Goodbye, Cabrini-Green" [Re: boehm]
bluage Offline
Journeyman

Greetings, Guenter...

Another "Take Five" enthusiast! Me, too. Paul Desmond must be thinking, "I should'a followed it up with a "Take Six, Seven, or Eight...!"

I'm glad you enjoyed listening to it. Thank you for letting me know that you did!

bluage

#218929 - 10/23/13 02:52 PM [User Showcase] Re: "Goodbye, Cabrini-Green" [Re: Steve Young]
bluage Offline
Journeyman

Hi, Steve...

The "+1" brought a smile to my face because it reminds me of the way teachers graded their students' work "back in the day"!

Thank you!

bluage

#219007 - 10/24/13 09:48 AM [User Showcase] Re: "Goodbye, Cabrini-Green" [Re: bluage]
Loc: GA USA
Janice & Bud Offline
Veteran

Loc: GA USA
That is very cool, well arranged and mixed. My first exposure to Jazz was at a Pop Festival in Atlanta in 1969 when Dave Brubeck was mistakenly booked there and played with Janis Joplin, et al. And the crowd loved it...and so did I. Thanks for the reminder. I really enjoyed this and the memories.
J&B Website

#219036 - 10/24/13 09:07 PM [User Showcase] Re: "Goodbye, Cabrini-Green" [Re: Janice & Bud]
bluage Offline
Journeyman

Hello, Janice & Bud...

Holy smoke, what a fortuitous "accident" that was! Dave Brubeck performing along with Janis Joplin? I never knew that.

What did Mr. Brubeck and Ms. Joplin perform together? Was it recorded, or filmed? I'd like to know, so I could watch it, or listen to it.

Concerning your comments about "Goodbye, Cabrini-Green", I'm pleased that you thought it was "cool". That's the sound and the feel of the jazz music that caught my attention as kid growing up during the 60's.

In Chicago, the local NBC station, channel 5, ran a "midnight movie" feature -- mostly grade-B sci-fi and horror films -- on Friday nights. The theme music was a brief clip of "Take Five" that played under the announcer's introduction to the films. I begged my parents to let me stay up late just so I could hear that single, solitary, swingin' clip: doo-doop, doo-doop/doo, doo/doo-doop, doo-doop/doo, doo!

Somewhere I read that Paul Desmond said he wanted his alto sax to sound like a "dry martini". Now, how hip and cool is that!

Thank you for your attention and your comments,

bluage

#219037 - 10/24/13 09:14 PM [User Showcase] Re: "Goodbye, Cabrini-Green" [Re: bluage]
Loc: South Louisiana
Danny C. Offline
Veteran

Loc: South Louisiana
Great feel to the entire track, could not keep the images of "beatniks" snapping their fingers in time to the groove out of my mind.

Later,

The More You Drink The Better I Sound

#219096 - 10/25/13 02:35 PM [User Showcase] Re: "Goodbye, Cabrini-Green" [Re: Danny C.]
bluage Offline
Journeyman

Hello, "Danny C."...

Your comment about the "beatniks" made me smile. I wish I had been old enough to be a part of that group when they were in their heyday....step out wearing my little beret, Vandyck beard, turtleneck sweater, a pair of sandals, and a set of bongo drums! It may be a stereotypical image, but it was entertaining in a way-out kind of way.

I visited your fine website and noticed that you operate out of Louisiana. My mother was born in New Iberia and I have relatives in Baton Rogue, Loreauville, St. Martinville, and elsewhere.

Thank you giving a listen to the song, and I appreciate your comments.

bluage

#219113 - 10/25/13 04:51 PM [User Showcase] Re: "Goodbye, Cabrini-Green" [Re: bluage]
Loc: Hamlin NY
MarioD Offline
Veteran

Loc: Hamlin NY
I love this style of jazz and you did it justice for sure!

This had a great rhythm section. Take 5 did also come to mind, especially during the intro!

Nice chops BTW!

64 bit Win 10 Pro - the latest BiaB and RB - Roland Octa-Capture audio interface - a ton of software and some hardware.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

PG Music News
Notation Enhancements in Band-in-a-Box® 2019 for Windows!

There are Notation Enhancements in the NEW Band-in-a-Box® 2019 for Windows! These include:
•A new button in the Print Options dialog which lets you quickly print a "chords only" fake sheet. You can also access this from the right-click menu on the chord sheet.
•A new track type (Drums) is now available for The Melody and Soloist tracks.
•Clicking close to a stave line will put a note on the stave line instead of between stave lines. (Previously, you had to click extremely close to a stave line to insert a note on The line.)
•Double-clicking on the Standard mode Notation window (or on the time line in Editable or Staff Roll mode) plays the song from the current time location. Previously, it played the song from the beginning of the current bar.
•Holding down the [Ctrl] key and pressing the zoom in/out buttons results in finest possible incremental adjustment in size.
•In The Notation Windows Options dialog, The clefs split point asterisk indicates that C5* is middle C.
•Pressing The space bar plays the song from the current time location, not the current bar.
•The clefs split point can be set by the spin controls.
•The right-click menu in the Editable or Staff Roll mode Notation window has an option to change the current beat resolution. Previously, the only way to do this was to right-click on the time line.
•There's a keystroke entry notation mode - the 'N' mode, which lets you enter a melody entirely using keystrokes. The keystrokes are N to enter a note, up/down cursor to change its pitch, and left/right cursor to move the time line.
•You can now edit any track in the Event List Editor. When The dialog opens, it will show you the MIDI data in the current Notation track.
•You can quickly enter forced accidentals from the right-click menu.

We talk about these new features within our Band-in-a-Box® 2019 for Windows®! New Features, RealTracks, and other content! video:
25:45 - New Features: Easy Entering of Notation with the 'N' Key
36:48 - Change Beat Resolution From the Right-Click Menu
37:15 - Easier Entry of Notes on Lines
37:42 - Asterisk to Indicate Middle C on & Spin Controls
37:53 - Force Accidental from the Right-Click Menu
38:01 - Edit Any Track in the Event List
38:09 - Keystroke Note Entry Mode 'N' for Faster Note Entry
38:28 - Print Chords Only Fake Sheet
38:32 - More Control of Notation Size

Rather read about it?
-Band-in-a-Box® 2019 for Windows® Upgrade Manual
-New Feature Summary - Notation Enhancements

The New Band-in-a-Box® 2019 for Windows SongPicker!

With Band-in-a-Box® 2019, the SongPicker has been redesigned!
-The completely redesigned window shows information for up to 50,000 songs.
-The song list build is much faster. Approximately 150 songs get added per second.
-A progress bar will appear if the song list build takes longer than 3 seconds.
-You can see the chord progression for the selected song in the list. You can copy and paste it to a text file.
-Many filters are available. You can filter the list by subfolders, genre, feel, time signature, style, songs with melody, soloist, lyrics, key signature, tempo range, and the year of file dates.
-You can search songs that have similar chord progressions and/or melody fragments.
-Hotkey! ss+enter opens the SongPicker, ss2+enter opens the Recently Played Songs, etc.

Learn more about the updates with our New Features Video - we've made it easy to find the section you'll need:
2:55 - New Feature: Redesigned SongPicker
21:58 - New Features: SongPicker Enhancements
41:10 - Now Over 10,600 Titles in SongPicker

You can also read all about the new SongPicker within our Online Band-in-a-Box® 2019 for Windows® Upgrade Manual.

RealBand 2019 Online and PDF Manuals Available!

Visit our Online Manuals support page for access to the latest RealBand 2019 for Windows program manuals!

RealBand 2019 for Windows User's Guide: Online Manual | PDF Download
RealBand 2019 for Windows New Features Guide: Online Manual | PDF Download

RealBand 2019 is included in every purchase of Band-in-a-Box® 2019 for Windows! We're having a SALE on Band-in-a-Box® 2019 Upgrade purchases until December 31, 2018 - save over 40% when you purchase your Band-in-a-Box® 2019 for Windows Upgrade! Check out our Band-in-a-Box® packages page for all the purchase options available

Band-in-a-Box® 2019 Online and PDF Manuals Available!

Visit our Online Manuals support page for access to the latest Band-in-a-Box® 2019 for Windows program manuals!

Band-in-a-Box® 2019 for Windows User's Guide: Online Manual | PDF Download
Band-in-a-Box® 2019 for Windows Upgrade Manual: Online Manual | PDF Download

Don't forget.... We're having a SALE on Band-in-a-Box® 2019 Upgrade purchases until December 31, 2018 - save over 40% when you purchase your Band-in-a-Box® 2019 for Windows Upgrade! Check out our Band-in-a-Box® packages page for all the purchase options available

Band-in-a-Box® 2019 on a USB 3.0 Hard Drive - Speed Thrills!

We're excited to say that all Band-in-a-Box® 2019 for Windows UltraPAK and UltraPAK+ orders now ship on a USB 3.0 hard drive!

What does this mean? Faster hard drive transfer rates will enhance the program operations (faster time to generate tracks, reduced audio artifacts) and offer faster transfer speeds (typically up to 3x faster)!

It's a great time to order your UltraPAK or UltraPAK+ Upgrade... they're ON SALE until December 31st!

Video: Band-in-a-Box® 2019 for Windows® New Features!

Our "Band-in-a-Box® 2019 for Windows®! New Features, RealTracks, and other content!" video is now ready! Get to know all about the newest features in Band-in-a-Box® 2019: Click here to watch...

We have listed a table of contents for this video, you'll see it within the YouTube video description, or by visiting this forum post.

RealBand 2019 - A New Look!

Have you opened up your RealBand 2019 yet? You may notice that we've given it a fresh new look! In fact, there are now 3 different looks to RealBand.

See for yourself! Within the program, visit Options | Icon Set and choose from: Classic, Modern 1, or Modern 2.

Forum Stats
28462 Members
58 Forums
55323 Topics
460972 Posts

Max Online: 2434 @ 11/14/17 12:37 AM
Newest Members
Hennryparth, fontenay, Jonbouy, AGT, bobl6289

28462 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
Matt Finley 391
Pipeline 341