Print Thread
Go To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#219329 10/28/13 10:16 AM
User Showcase
Expert
OP Offline
Expert
Dedicated to composer/trumpeter Woody Shaw, path breaking organist Larry Young, tenor titan Joe Henderson, and superdrummer Elvin Jones, all departed giants of the heyday of Blue Note records in the 1960's.

The source album is one of the important exemplars of that period. For comparison purposes, one can hear the original version of The Moontrane at www.youtube.com/watch?v=sOahyrmhnZo

The "trane" is not a spelling error, but refers to John Coltrane.

THE MOONTRANE https://soundcloud.com/aleckrand/the-moontrane

Aleck Rand: Horn arrangements, guitar, Hammond SK-1 (mini B3)
Real Drum artist Terry Clarke: Percussion

Sweetwater Creation Station. BIAB 2018, Mixcraft 8 Pro Studio, Izotope Nektar 2, Ozone 8, KEYBOARDS: Kurzweil Artis 7, Crumar MOJO, Hammond XK-3, BASSES (fretted & fretless by Ibanez, LTD, Warwick. GUITARS by Guild, Gretsch, Ibanez, Eastwood (12 string)
User Showcase
P
Veteran
Veteran
P
Another fine piece of music, thanks for sharing!

My Music

My Tunes

Psalm 57:7 My heart, O God, is steadfast, my heart is steadfast; I will sing and make music.
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Not my cuppa java but you do this stuff well.

It sounds good. nice use of the synths/midi. Nice guitar playing too...

You can find my music at:
www.herbhartley.com
Add nothing that adds nothing to the music.
You can make excuses or you can make progress but not both.

The magic you are looking for is in the work you are avoiding.
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Hi Dean,

I knew that you play keyboards.
But I didn't know you're such a good
soloist. Awesome!
Your guitar is good as always.

Guenter

User Showcase
Expert
Expert
Hi Dean,

Another outstanding piece of work here. All the solos are just great! You are one gifted musician!

Probably just the speakers I am listening on, but the drums seem just a slight tad too far back in the mix. I know in this genre, the drums are not supposed to overly drive the song, but at times I could hardly hear them. Again, it could be the system I am listening to.

Really enjoyed this one.

Steve

Steve Young
Music
"In order to compose, all you need to do is remember a tune that nobody else has thought of." - Robert Schumann
User Showcase
Expert
OP Offline
Expert
Thanks Steve,

I think you may be right about the percussion being a little soft. It wouldn't hurt to bring them forward a bit, but after knocking myself silly on this tune, the idea of going back for more tuneups - well, you probably know the feeling.

But I'm pleased that you like it and appreciate your very kind remarks.

Dean

User Showcase
B
Expert
Expert
B
Hello, "aleck rand"...

That's my kind of jazz! Bright, driving, upbeat, and all lit-up with the glow from a percolatin' Hammond organ! The "changes" in the song -- and your musicianship in performing them -- are exhilarating.

It took me a l-o-n-g time to "get my head around" Mr. Coltrane's music. And then, one day I read that at a particular moment in his life when his addiction to drugs had him hanging by his fingernails at the edge of the "abyss", he told the "The Creator" that if He would help him get that "monkey off his back" that he would devote his life and his music to the glorification of God.

Up to that time I was not aware of any jazz musician who had made such a direct statement of the role that spirituality -- not religion -- played in his/her life. But after reading that, I didn't have any more problems "understanding" what Mr. Coltrane was doing, and why he was doing it.

Hoping to hear more of this,

bluage

"Music is what feelings sound like."-- borrowed from a Cakewalk Music Creator forum member, "Mamabear".
boehm #219416 10/29/13 06:03 AM
User Showcase
Expert
OP Offline
Expert
Hi Guenter, my friend

Your comments are very kind. I'm really glad you liked it.

I remember - not fondly - all the occasions when I had to move my old Hammond CV (basically the guts of a B3 in a church organ frame). The thing must have weighed 7,000 pounds.

Now, I just got a Hammond SK-1 - a Hammond B3 squeezed into a 16 pound keyboard. Barbara Dennerlein watch out!!

So much has changed, hasn't it?

Dean

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Hi, Dean !

I do not find words for this
display of superb musicianship !
I am outright awed !!!!!
You are actually playing both
guitar and the hammond ? :)))
Great !

Cheers
Dani

Last edited by dani48; 10/29/13 03:13 PM.
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Hi Dean,

I'm sitting here thinking, "Very sophisticated music played with amazing skill and attention to detail." As others have already noted many times, you're a very talented man and have a flair for this genre. It's really easy to see you smiling as you put this one together!

I appreciated the opportunity to listen. Thank you.

Noel

MY SONGS...
Audiophile BIAB 2024
bluage #219518 10/30/13 10:42 AM
User Showcase
Expert
OP Offline
Expert
Originally Posted By: bluage
That's my kind of jazz! Bright, driving, upbeat, and all lit-up with the glow from a percolatin' Hammond organ! The "changes" in the song -- and your musicianship in performing them -- are exhilarating.

It took me a l-o-n-g time to "get my head around" Mr. Coltrane's music. And then, one day I read that at a particular moment in his life when his addiction to drugs had him hanging by his fingernails at the edge of the "abyss", he told the "The Creator" that if He would help him get that "monkey off his back" that he would devote his life and his music to the glorification of God.

Up to that time I was not aware of any jazz musician who had made such a direct statement of the role that spirituality -- not religion -- played in his/her life. But after reading that, I didn't have any more problems "understanding" what Mr. Coltrane was doing, and why he was doing it.

Hoping to hear more of this
Bluage, man, you have made my day. I'm grateful for your kind response, but I really want to chime in with "Yeah, Bluage, that's my kinda jazz too! Sure, the changes - so cool. And as far as the Hammond B3 goes, I rate it alongside the invention of the wheel as one of humankind's greatest creation, and the Hammond SK-1 the greatest invention since the B3.

Dean Clark (aka "Aleck Rand")

PS I think it took everyone a long time to get their heads around 'Trane's concept. The spirituality angle is another issue. Do you remember Sun Ra? He had a fairly bizarre "interplanetary philosophy" of some kind, but his is the only name that comes to mind. I think too many jazz players got their spirituality out of the end of a needle.

User Showcase
Expert
OP Offline
Expert
Hi Guitarhacker,

I know we're light years apart in our musical worlds, but I have to tip my cap to you for being willing to listen to different things. I really admire that.

Aleck

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
+1 Very nice!! Ray

Asus Q500A i7 Win 10 64 bit 8GB ram 750 HD 15.5" touch screen, BIAB 2017, Casio PX 5s, Xw P1, Center Point Stereo SS V3 and EWI 4000s.
raymb1 #220006 11/04/13 08:54 AM
User Showcase
Expert
OP Offline
Expert
Noel and Ray:

Thanks so much for your favorable reception.

Dean Clark (aka Aleck Rand)

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran

One question: How on earth do you start recording that, one track at a time, what is first???? The finished product is excellent.

Alyn

Last edited by gibson; 11/05/13 12:20 AM.
dani48 #220092 11/04/13 08:11 PM
User Showcase
Expert
OP Offline
Expert
Hi Dani,

Thank you for the extravagant praise. Wow!

At one point, I had given up the guitar completely and concentrated on keyboards for about 10 years. Then, I gave that up. I didn't pick up any instrument for at least another 10 years.

In 2008 I retired from what most people would consider a very cushy job (unfortunately, it nearly drove me mad) and dusted off the old instrument cases to see if there was anything inside left intact. Intact enough to jump start my musical life. But the most profound event since then was my accidental discovery of Band-In-A-Box.

Dean

User Showcase
Expert
OP Offline
Expert
Hi PGFantastic,

I am remiss in being so late in thanking you for your kind remarks. They are much appreciated.

Dean

User Showcase
Expert
Expert
I enjoy a number of genres but this remains among the top of the list and you bring it to life so very well!

User Showcase
Expert
Expert
Dean,
This is some virtuoso stuff. Wow! I can't even imagine achieving such a high level of skill.
SD

Last edited by SpaceDog; 11/18/13 01:08 PM.
SpaceDog #221638 11/18/13 03:28 PM
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Absolutely Swinging! The reflect on others comments, this is a great piece of work, nice balance, and some impressive chord changes.

I really appreciated the opportunity to listen to this one.

VideoTrack

BIAB & RB2024 Win.(Audiophile), Sonar Platinum, Cakewalk by Bandlab, Izotope Prod.Bundle, Roland RD-1000, Synthogy Ivory, Kontakt, Focusrite 18i20, KetronSD2, NS40M Monitors, Pioneer Active Monitors, AKG K271 Studio H'phones
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Video: Volume Automation in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created a video to help you learn more about the Volume Automation options in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows.

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Volume Automation

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#volume-automation

Video: Audio Input Monitoring with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created this short video to explain Audio Input Monitoring within Band-in-a-Box® 2024, and included some tips & troubleshooting details too!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Audio Input Monitoring

3:17: Tips
5:10: Troubleshooting

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#audio-input-monitoring

Video: Enhanced Melodists in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®!

We've enhanced the Melodists feature included in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows!

Access the Melodist feature by pressing F7 in the program to open the new MultiPicker Library and locate the [Melodist] tab.

You can now generate a melody on any track in the program - very handy! Plus, you select how much of the melody you want generated - specify a range, or apply it to the whole track.

See the Melodist in action with our video, Band-in-a-Box® 2024: The Melodist Window.

Learn even more about the enhancements to the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024upgrade/chapter3.htm#enhanced-melodist

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Specifically for Reaper®

New with the DAW Plugin Version 6.0, released with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows: the Reaper® Panel!

This new panel offers built-in specific support for the Reaper® DAW API allowing direct transfer of Band-in-a-Box® files to/from Reaper® tracks!

When you run the Plugin from Reaper®, there is a panel to set the following options:
-BB Track(s) to send: This allows you to select the Plugin tracks that will be sent Reaper.
-Destination Reaper Track: This lets you select the destination Reaper track to receive media content from the Plugin.
-At Bar: You can select a bar in Reaper where the Plugin tracks should be placed.
-Start Below Selected Track: This allows you to place the Plugin tracks below the destination Reaper track.
-Overwrite Reaper Track: You can overwrite previous content on the destination Reaper track.
-Move to Project Folder: With this option, you can move the Plugin tracks to the Reaper project folder.
-Send Reaper Instructions Enable this option to send the Reaper Instructions instead of rendering audio tracks, which is faster.
-Render Audio & Instructions: Enable this option to generate audio files and the Reaper instructions.
-Send Tracks After Generating: This allows the Plugin to automatically send tracks to Reaper after generating.
-Send Audio for MIDI Track: Enable this option to send rendered audio for MIDI tracks.
-Send RealCharts with Audio: If this option is enabled, Enable this option to send RealCharts with audio.

Check out this video highlighting the new Reaper®-specific features: Band-in-a-Box® DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Specifically for Reaper®

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Video

The new Band-in-a-Box VST DAW Plugin Verion 6 adds over 20 new features!

Watch the new features video to learn more: Video: Band-in-a-Box® 2024 - DAW Plugin Version 6 New Features

We also list these new features at www.pgmusic.com/bbwin.plugin.htm.

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,394
Posts732,484
Members38,441
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
zagrajbarke, Ernest J, Izzy, BenChaz, Csofi
38,440 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 195