Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
You need to be logged in to post
Options
Index
#220446 - 11/08/13 05:25 AM [User Showcase] Re: New Song: "Brighter Than Any Star" [Re: Noel96]
Loc: Warwickshire, UK
Skyline Offline
Veteran

Loc: Warwickshire, UK
This is a track from a new Eagles album yes?
Wow, what a terrific song, perfectly constructed. Thoroughly enjoyable all the way through, a very pleasurable journey. Well done!

I confess to agreeing with Rog a teeny-weeny bit, sorry! I'd like a bit more emotion and involvement in the vocal and less 'Talent Show' finale 'your vote counts', but that doesn't detract too much from a very professional vocal sound, from, well a professional. Jason should ask you if he can use it on his own albums, I can see a hit track here.
BIAB 2019
Cakewalk by BandLab
Studio One 4

#221367 - 11/15/13 07:23 PM [User Showcase] Re: New Song: "Brighter Than Any Star" [Re: Noel96]
Loc: Australia
Noel96 Offline
Veteran

Hey John,

Sorry it's taken me so long to get back to you. 'Life' has been keeping me occupied lately and made it difficult to keep up with the forums.

Thank you for having a listen. I really appreciate your time and your comments. Your thoughts always help me see aspects of my work though other eyes and that's very valuable to me.

Must be just about time for another song from you wink

All the best,
Noel

#221456 - 11/16/13 03:17 PM [User Showcase] Re: New Song: "Brighter Than Any Star" [Re: Noel96]
Loc: Grand Junction, Colorado USA
Achordocaster Offline
Journeyman

Loc: Grand Junction, Colorado USA
Noel,

What an excellent song! I thought the production was outstanding and I liked his vocal... Also some tasty guitar work.

Great Job!

Greg

#221688 - 11/19/13 03:12 AM [User Showcase] Re: New Song: "Brighter Than Any Star" [Re: Achordocaster]
Noel96 Offline
Veteran

Hi Greg,

Thanks for dropping by. I appreciate the positive feedback! Jason is a talented guy, there's no doubting that. I hope he's reading these comments smile He deserves all the kudos he's getting!

All the best,
Noel

#221821 - 11/20/13 10:14 AM [User Showcase] Re: New Song: "Brighter Than Any Star" [Re: Noel96]
Loc: Maryland
SpaceDog Offline
Expert

Loc: Maryland
Noel,
Wonderful song. I loved everything about. Thanks for posting.
SD

#222167 - 11/23/13 07:00 AM [User Showcase] Re: New Song: "Brighter Than Any Star" [Re: Noel96]
Noel96 Offline
Veteran

Hi SpaceDog,

It's great to see you back in the forum again. Thanks for the positive words. I appreciate the smile that followed after I read them.

All the best,
Noel

#222440 - 11/24/13 09:14 PM [User Showcase] Re: New Song: "Brighter Than Any Star" [Re: Noel96]
gruverider Offline
Expert

remarkable indeed! the melody and lyric and vocal - just wow!

Super job all the way around!

#223494 - 11/28/13 08:02 AM [User Showcase] Re: New Song: "Brighter Than Any Star" [Re: Noel96]
Noel96 Offline
Veteran

Hi Lawrence,

Your comments were a great way to begin my day! Thank you for that. I appreciate your having a listen to the song.

All the best,
Noel

#229492 - 12/19/13 09:38 AM [User Showcase] Re: New Song: "Brighter Than Any Star" [Re: Noel96]
Frankp Offline
Apprentice

Hi Noel,

Now that's a chorus that begs to be sung along to.

Sounds great, thanks for posting.

#229507 - 12/19/13 10:10 AM [User Showcase] Re: New Song: "Brighter Than Any Star" [Re: Noel96]
Guitarhacker Offline
Veteran

Originally Posted By: Noel96
Hi ROG,

I did a heap of volume shaping of the vocal line to try and create an emotional contour that sat with how I heard the lyrics and music. (See the image below of the start of the third/last chorus.)

EDIT: P.S. In case forum readers are wondering, the big, square dips on either side of "change" are to tame the "CH" and the "J" sounds at either end of the word. The curvy dip on "-bout" is bring that syllable under control in relation to the surrounding lyrics.

On the above clip... I might have reduced the gain -2db on the word "bout" to see if that worked and perhaps muted the little nub after "change" if it was objectionable. "Don't" may also have gotten a -1 or -2 db cut.... but the rest looked pretty even to my eye. Of course, the ear is the critical factor here and not the eye..... I use both in my edits. Do I hear something that sounds "off normal"? If so, have a look. DO I see it? If yes, and normally I can see the issue..... then I fix it.... eyeballing and listening.

I don't use this level of detail or control on a vocal track. I do use volume envelopes but more as a general overall level adjustment depending on the vocal track and the part of the song it's in.

Now, I will go in and edit carefully if there are objectionable breath noises, lip smacks and other such noises. I generally use the "process audio>mute" in my DAW for that sort of clean up. That way, it totally disappears.

I am not adverse to using the volume envelope to lower a certain sung note or word that seems to stick out too loudly. I also use it to raise the lower volume words on occasion. More often than not, I will use the process audio with gain increase or reduction and play through the part to check it in context as opposed to using the envelope for that. Most of my hard enveloping is on the instrument tracks.

Edited by Guitarhacker (12/19/13 10:16 AM)

Add nothing that adds nothing to the music.

As the sword chooses the warrior, so too, the song chooses the writer.

#230047 - 12/21/13 06:55 PM [User Showcase] Re: New Song: "Brighter Than Any Star" [Re: Noel96]
Noel96 Offline
Veteran

Hi Frank,

Thank you for having a listen! I appreciate it.

Best wishes,
Noel

#230049 - 12/21/13 07:17 PM [User Showcase] Re: New Song: "Brighter Than Any Star" [Re: Noel96]
Noel96 Offline
Veteran

Hi again, Herb.

Thank you for your thoughts.

When I read ...

Originally Posted By: Guitarhacker
Of course, the ear is the critical factor here and not the eye..... I use both in my edits. Do I hear something that sounds "off normal"? If so, have a look. DO I see it? If yes, and normally I can see the issue..... then I fix it.... eyeballing and listening.

... I found myself nodding my head and thinking, "That's pretty much how I work, too". The 'look and listen' approach definitely pays dividends. I also find that listening live and listening through headphones are both necessary because they occasionally seem to emphasise different aspects.

As I mentioned in an earlier post in this thread, one of the things I find with compressors is that words that are normally quite soft in speech (words like: a, the, an, it, to, my, etc.) get their volumes lifted and they sometimes lack the conversational level after compression. So I adjust those down.

Another thing that I do in Reaper is to use the "Split track at prior zero crossing".

Once this is done, I can then add an independent envelope (volume, pan, etc.) to each of the split sections. By dragging this envelope up and down, that section of the wav file is modified on-screen to show me the changes. I find that being able to see these changes is very useful (just like you've already mentioned).

Because I cross at the "prior zero", I mostly eliminate clicks and pops that sometimes occur when making these kinds of adjustments.

Thanks for taking the time to reply. I found your reading very useful.

Kind regards,
Noel

#230070 - 12/21/13 09:29 PM [User Showcase] Re: New Song: "Brighter Than Any Star" [Re: Noel96]
Loc: Originally Missouri ... Now Al...
Al-David Offline
Veteran

Loc: Originally Missouri ... Now Al...
Noel,

That is such a pretty song. Everything about it was stellar! And yes, this is a splendid Demo...you got your money's worth and more, I would think. We totally enjoyed our listen!

Al & Di

Loops: https://aldavidmusic.wixsite.com/bestmusicloops

#230082 - 12/21/13 10:37 PM [User Showcase] Re: New Song: "Brighter Than Any Star" [Re: Noel96]
Noel96 Offline
Veteran

Hi Al and Di,

Thanks for dropping in a having a listen. The backing is pretty all Band In A Box. The demo singer, Jason Wyatt, played some fill in riffs on two different guitars. All I did was to use those in a way that sounded right to me when I was putting the mix together. Glad it worked for you!

Best wishes,
Noel

#230241 - 12/22/13 07:10 PM [User Showcase] Re: New Song: "Brighter Than Any Star" [Re: Noel96]
Loc: New Jersey
robsmusic Offline
Journeyman

Loc: New Jersey
This is a great song.. and well executed . smile

#230323 - 12/23/13 10:45 AM [User Showcase] Re: New Song: "Brighter Than Any Star" [Re: Noel96]
Noel96 Offline
Veteran

Hi Rob,

I appreciate your stopping by. Thank you.

I can't take all the credit for how this one sounds. If you take Band In A Box and Jason Wyatt out of the equation, I don't think I'd have too much left to hang my hat on (some notes, some words and a few ideas, maybe)!

Every time I write a song, I always pause and think about how amazing BIAB is. Seriously. And it always happens without thinking about it. BIAB really does let me do what I know I couldn't do otherwise. We're lucky people to have discovered this program!

Woops ... I think I just jumped up on a soapbox of some kind. Better jump back down.

Best wishes,
Noel

#230645 - 12/25/13 12:00 PM [User Showcase] Re: New Song: "Brighter Than Any Star" [Re: Noel96]
Loc: Florida
Elliott Kayne Offline
Apprentice

Great song, great vocals, nice mix.

http://www.KayneMusic.com
My Posts:
http://www.pgmusic.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=userposts&id=12285
SoundCloud: https://soundcloud.com/ekayne

#230889 - 12/26/13 08:43 PM [User Showcase] Re: New Song: "Brighter Than Any Star" [Re: Elliott Kayne]
Noel96 Offline
Veteran

Hi Elliott,

Thank you for opening the thread and popping inside. I appreciate the positive feedback.

All the best,
Noel

#241622 - 02/26/14 06:06 PM [User Showcase] Re: New Song: "Brighter Than Any Star" [Re: Noel96]
90 dB Offline
Veteran

I have no idea how I missed commenting on this one - mea culpa Noel!

My better half mentioned this song and we wanted to hear it again, and I think others might want to hear it again as well.

This is absolutely stunning....a masterpiece.

Regards,

Bob

#241643 - 02/26/14 08:00 PM [User Showcase] Re: New Song: "Brighter Than Any Star" [Re: Noel96]
Loc: New Zealand
RichMac Offline
Expert

Loc: New Zealand
I miss a lot on this forum. Glad I didnt miss this one. It's delightful in all departments. And such clarity. Cheers.

Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

PG Music News
Video - Entering More Than 4 Chords Per Bar in Band-in-a-Box!

One of our latest support videos created by Tobin shows off a great workaround for entering more than 4 chords per bar in your Band-in-a-Box song, using a combination of half-time and normal RealTracks - check it out!

Video Testimonial - Dennis Dearing Talks Band-in-a-Box®

Dennis remembers Band-in-a-Box® from years ago, but his connection to Mike Harrison and hearing him talk about the RealTracks is what really got him excited about the program!

Hear his thoughts and see how he uses the Band-in-a-Box® VST DAW Plugin for his projects with his Video Testimonial:

https://youtu.be/WqmtoxfJwDw

It's been a great addition to my workflow!
-Dennis Dearing

To learn more about Dennis, check out his testimonial page here.

You can create your own video testimonial letting people know how you use the program too! Learn how here.

Band-in-a-Box® 2020 Polish for Windows is Here!

Dodaliśmy ponad 50 nowych funkcji do Band-in-a-Box® 2020! Są udoskonalenia ścieżek RealTracks (Delikatniej brzmiące wokale RealTracks, Pogrubianie RealTracks, funkcja "Znajdź odmianę" dla RealTracks i MultiRiffów). Większość RealDrums ma teraz RealCharts (z dokładną Notacją Bębnów). Jest nowa Przeglądarka Artystów RealTracks umożliwiające znalezienie informacji/biografii/linków/listy ścieżek RealTracks dla wszystkich artystów. Nowa Przeglądarka Funkcji pozwala nowym lub "zapominalskim" użytkownikom na łatwe znalezienie i użycie większości funkcji/skrótów/dokumentów z poziomu jednego okna. Funkcja Wyrównaj Tempo pozwala na zmianę utworu nagranego w rytmie rubato i dostosowanie go do ustalonego tempa. Udoskonalono funkcje rozciągania brzmień audio w czasie/wysokości dźwięku (Elastique). Są też udoskonalenia opcji Wybory Utworu, automatycznych wstępów na Basie/Bębnach lub tylko samych bębnach (Auto-Intros), dodano 3,400 tytułów, są udoskonalenia w zakresie MusicXML, mamy widok dla gitarzysty "Leworęcznego" oraz "Widok dla ucznia" przy grze na gitarze, udoskonalenia opcji Przeciągnij i Upuść, multi-okna wyświetlającego Magika Audio Akordów i wiele innych poprawek!

ZAKUP/UAKTUALNIJ & POBIERZ TERAZ!

Add-ons Special EXTENDED! Xtra Styles PAK 9 & Loops-with-Style PAK 2...

There's still time to SAVE when you SUPERCHARGE your Band-in-a-Box® 2020 UltraPAK, UltraPAK+, or Audiophile Edition with 200 new RealStyles with Xtra Styles PAK 9, and 100 NEW Loops & 50 NEW Styles with Loops-with-Style PAK 2!!

We've EXTENDED our special until JULY 15TH!

Xtra Styles PAK 9 includes deep-south New Orleans gospel, a country soul groove, a psychedelic pop ballad, action-sequence cinematic metal, a Cajun jaw harp boogie, post-punk folk rock, quarter-feel jazz blues, several modern jazz styles, a modern Celtic folk reel, multiple 6/8 grooves, and so much more! There's a MultiStyle in every genre, and our biggest MultiStyle has a total of ten substyles! Add it to your collection today for just $29 (reg. $49)!

Loops-with-Style PAK 2 includes 50 new Styles & 100 new Loops to add to your Band-in-a-Box® collection! There are two new genres: gospel and funk, and we've added to the selection for electronic, hip hop, jazz, pop, R&B, rock, and world! Purchase Loops-with-Style PAK 2 on sale for only $19 (reg. $29)!

Already have a few of our Xtra Styles PAKs? Top up now - each of our 9 Xtra Styles PAKs are just $29 (reg. $49)! Don't have any, and want them ALL? Grab all during our sale for just $199 (reg. $349)!

Learn more about Xtra Styles PAKs for Band-in-a-Box and listen to demos here.

More information on Loops-with-Style PAKs can be found here.

Mac user? Click here for OS specific purchase links.

DAW Plugin FAQs Resource!

We've added a new Band-in-a-Box DAW Plugin for Mac FAQ to our FAQ and Knowledge Base Forum - make sure you check it out!

This is where we'll be sharing any solutions we discover for frequent problems reported while working through our DAW Plugin tech support.

Like this post from Andrew: StylePicker does not see my styles and RealTracks, or they are showing as N/A.
Click here for the solution.

Windows user? Click here for your forum links.

Add-ons Special Almost Over! Xtra Styles PAK 9 & Loops-with-Style PAK 2...

There's still time to SAVE when you SUPERCHARGE your Band-in-a-Box® 2020 UltraPAK, UltraPAK+, or Audiophile Edition with 200 new RealStyles with Xtra Styles PAK 9, and 100 NEW Loops & 50 NEW Styles with Loops-with-Style PAK 2!!

We've EXTENDED our special until JULY 15TH!

Xtra Styles PAK 9 includes deep-south New Orleans gospel, a country soul groove, a psychedelic pop ballad, action-sequence cinematic metal, a Cajun jaw harp boogie, post-punk folk rock, quarter-feel jazz blues, several modern jazz styles, a modern Celtic folk reel, multiple 6/8 grooves, and so much more! There's a MultiStyle in every genre, and our biggest MultiStyle has a total of ten substyles! Add it to your collection today for just $29 (reg. $49)!

Loops-with-Style PAK 2 includes 50 new Styles & 100 new Loops to add to your Band-in-a-Box® collection! There are two new genres: gospel and funk, and we've added to the selection for electronic, hip hop, jazz, pop, R&B, rock, and world! Purchase Loops-with-Style PAK 2 on sale for only $19 (reg. $29)!

Already have a few of our Xtra Styles PAKs? Top up now - each of our 9 Xtra Styles PAKs are just $29 (reg. $49)! Don't have any, and want them ALL? Grab all during our sale for just $199 (reg. $349)!

Learn more about Xtra Styles PAKs for Band-in-a-Box and listen to demos here.

More information on Loops-with-Style PAKs can be found here.

Mac user? Click here for OS specific purchase links.

An Updated Band-in-a-Box® 2020 for Mac is Here!

The latest Band-in-a-Box 2020 update announcement is HUGE!

With this updated version, easily find your (purchased) Xtra Styles PAK 9 RealStyles in the updated StylePicker window, [ctrl] and [shift] shortcut keys will allow you to open your RealDrums picker and preferences windows with one 'click', there are improvements to Bar Based Lyric entry, stable playback of style demos, the UPDATED DAW Plugin is included, and more!

The updated DAW Plugin 2.9.41 adds additional and redesigned action buttons, refined DAW syncing, Chord Sheet enhancements, improvements to MultiRiffs, RealTracks, RealDrums, and MIDI features, and so much more!

We've made a video that highlights all the changes to the DAW Plugin with build 2.9.41: Watch it...

Learn more about the newest Band-in-a-Box® 2020 for Mac b412 and download here.

Forum Stats
32458 Members
68 Forums
65110 Topics
551650 Posts

Max Online: 2537 @ 01/19/20 07:09 AM
Newest Members
rod_house, RichOnStage, Budgeman, JohnyBlacks, Bruce K.

32457 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
VideoTrack 180
MusicStudent 143
Matt Finley 139
Jim Fogle 135
MarioD 106
Rustyspoon# 105
rayc 103
Pipeline 102
Janice & Bud 100
floyd jane 96