Go To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#220033 11/04/13 12:23 PM
User Showcase
ROG Offline OP
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Not quite sure what style to call this one. Jessie and I decided to have a go at Bluegrass, but we didn't have all the right instruments and my copy of BiaB pre-dates RTs. One of these days I'll have to save for the up-grade.

So what we ended up with is Piano, Hammond, Guitars, Bass and Drums all recorded in PowerTracks and something which we think might possibly be Country Pop. I'm sure you Country fans out there will be able to put us straight.

YOU MAKE ME SMILE
You know you make me smile
Babe you know you do
Well, you make me smile
Babe you know you do
And you know that it's true
Would I lie to you?

You know you make me laugh
With the things you do
Well, you make me laugh
With the things you do
Would I lie to you?

You know you make me fall
Fall in love with you
Yes you make me fall
Fall in love with you
What else could I do?

As usual, thanks for listening and all comments welcome. (As long as they're not rude.)

ROG and Jessie.

ROG #220050 11/04/13 03:09 PM
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Hi ROG,

Wow that's good! To my ears, it sounded Country Rock/Pop'ish. Every time I hear something formulated on 12-bar blues, it's always very clear to me why the song form has stood the test of time. It's such a great format!

What stood out to me first of all was that you used the traditional 12-bar blues format for your lyrics. That is,

Quote:
Line 1
Repeat line 1 (maybe with slight variation but not necessarily)
Line 2 that rhymes with line 1

In your case, if I present the lyrics in this format they translate as ...

You know you make me smile, Babe you know you do
Well, you make me smile, Babe you know you do
And you know that it's true, Would I lie to you?

The above is sometimes regarded as a simple lyric format. I disagree. It takes great writing skill to get what amounts to two lines of lyrics resonating with meaning.

Using this lyric technique was a masterstroke. Also, to end the section with a question. How cool is that! As Pat Pattison regularly says, a change in grammatical form of a lyric (e.g. from statements to question) usually empowers the lyric. That was certainly true for me with these lyrics.

For what it's worth, if you ever decide to shorten the introduction but want to maintain the song's length, you could easily repeat Verse 1 as the final verse. To my way of thinking, framing the lyrics with verse 1 at start and end would make the final verse 1 lyrically powerful. It's also a technique sometimes used in traditional blues.

Anyway ... the above is just a bit of idle chit-chat. What I really, really want to compliment you on is the songwriting, the arrangement and the production. I cannot believe that you played so many instruments and put it all together so professionally. When most of us in this forum are relying on Realtracks and Realdrums, you are using playing skills, musicianship and experience. I'm blown away by how talented you are.

Lastly, Jessie and you sounded fantastic! I greatly admire her ability. Moreover, it continues to grow and grow.

In a word ... AWESOME

Best regards,
Noel

MY SONGS...
Audiophile BIAB 2024
ROG #220058 11/04/13 04:53 PM
User Showcase
ROG Offline OP
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Noel, my friend, you are just too kind.

I wish I could say that I'd carefully considered the points you mentioned, but in truth it just sort of came together out of a bit of guitar practice. A country 12 bar at 180 bpm is a great way to smarten up your clean picking.

I played the basic tracks to Jess, who then confessed to being a fan of Bluegrass and so she wrote and sang the harmony in about ten minutes!

Sometimes you just need a bit of luck.

Many thanks for all the kind words.

ROG.

ROG #220060 11/04/13 04:58 PM
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Sounds like the Beatles meet Nashvegas! Ready? Ok here is a new music genre . . . It is Rog Steady!

Fun listen.

Later,

ROG #220062 11/04/13 05:04 PM
User Showcase
ROG Offline OP
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Rog Steady? Yeah, I like that.

Thanks, Danny, pleased that you got some fun out of it.

ROG.

ROG #220074 11/04/13 06:10 PM
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
ROG,

This is so foot tapping feel good. I love the sound and the harmony is great. Would've liked to hear the chorus sung one more time but hey .... leave 'em wanting more. <grin>

ROG #220087 11/04/13 07:18 PM
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
ROG and Jessie,

Very well played. Some super guitar work there. And a terrific job of working to get that Country/BG feel.

However I'd say it sounded quite similar to the Beatles "playing Country". They were still the Beatles. And you are still ROG (and Jessie). A very cool sound. Excellent vocals. This actually sounded to me like a song that Ringo would sing. Quite enjoyable. I was sort of hoping it would finish the way those Ringo songs always did - a whole bunch of things happening at the end - lots of people singing and banging on stuff..

Cool.

floyd

ROG #220125 11/05/13 04:54 AM
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
ROG and Jessie make a mean combination!!

What else can I say? I'm a fan

keep 'em coming

Alyn

ROG #220187 11/05/13 05:45 PM
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Hi, Rog and Jessie !

Have you ever sounded better ?
Your voices blend so superbly
on this one !:))I enjoyed
listening really very much !:))

Cheers
Dani

ROG #220210 11/06/13 05:56 AM
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
I tried to listen yesterday but somehow, soundcloud wasn't cooperating..... but it is today....

cool tune... I wouldn't call it country though... probably closer to some rock stuff from the 60's....

I like the song, and the instrumentation fits well.

Things are pretty heavy on the fx and obvious double tracking/cloning of the vox. The vox are "too perfect" to be double tracked, which has me thinking that you cloned them as opposed to recording the tracks multiple times. I hear comb filtering in places which leads me to believe you did clone the vox.

would I lie to you :57 and in the last verse.... listen to the highs and you can hear it in several places. Comb filtering is one of the things to be aware of when cloning and nudging tracks... it's most prevalent on the higher freqs.

Back to the tune.... I like the happy go lucky feel to this song. It put a smile on my face this morning. The instruments mix well.... although I thought the guitars were a bit busy in places. But that's just my opinion.

Last edited by Guitarhacker; 11/06/13 05:57 AM.

You can find my music at:
www.herbhartley.com
Add nothing that adds nothing to the music.
You can make excuses or you can make progress but not both.

The magic you are looking for is in the work you are avoiding.
ROG #220223 11/06/13 08:25 AM
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Hi Rog,

that's a feel good and fun song!
I like Jessie's harmonies.
And I like the expression Rog steady as well.

Guenter

ROG #220241 11/06/13 10:37 AM
User Showcase
ROG Offline OP
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Hi Herb.

A few things, here to be cleared up.

Quote:
The vox are "too perfect" to be double tracked

They are all tracked up - six tracks each for me and Jess. It just takes practice.

Quote:
I hear comb filtering in places which leads me to believe you did clone the vox

With twelve vox tracks running, using the same voices and panned hard left/right, you're always going to get some "comb sound" whether you clone or track-up. If the tracks were all cloned, as you suggest, then the phasing effect would be exactly the same throughout, not just in places as it is. Basically, the multi-voice effect is what we wanted for this song.

Quote:
Things are pretty heavy on the fx

No effects other than compression on the vox tracks. A little stereo delay on the lead guitars. Tracked-up stereo on the rhythm guitar. Chorus on the piano.

Thanks for listening.

ROG.

ROG #220244 11/06/13 10:40 AM
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Cool lyrics and very neat harmonies. Really enjoyed it

Scott Collingwood
https://soundcloud.com/scottt709
https://soundcloud.com/spiritlevel-ca
https://www.youtube.com/@SpiritLevel-ge3hm/
ROG #220291 11/06/13 04:33 PM
User Showcase
ROG Offline OP
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Josie - "Leave 'em wanting more" sounds like a good way to work.

Pleased it got your feet tapping.

Thanks, ROG.

ROG #220292 11/06/13 04:35 PM
User Showcase
ROG Offline OP
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Floyd

Thanks for the nice comments about the guitar. I decided to play the parts right through, rather than use any copy/paste sections, just to see if I could still do it! I'd forgotten how tiring the concentration is. Must practice more.

Always a Beatles fan, so a song Ringo would sing is a big complement, thanks.

ROG.

ROG #220295 11/06/13 04:42 PM
User Showcase
ROG Offline OP
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Alyn, Dani, Guenter, Scott.

Hey Guys, thanks for the listen and all the nice comments.

Glad you liked the harmonies. Credit must go to Jess for writing and singing the harmony part. It was only after she'd recorded her parts that I realized how appallingly flat I was and I had to re-do it! These girls are starting to show me up.

ROG.

ROG #220333 11/07/13 02:04 AM
User Showcase
Veteran
Online Content
Veteran
Great toe-tapper, and solid harmonies. It got me smiling.

Add an accordion and you can call in Zydeco. wink

-- David Cuny
My virtual singer development blog

Vocal control, you say. Never heard of it. Is that some kind of ProTools thing?
ROG #220448 11/08/13 03:40 AM
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Great fun Rog!
This sounded just like Fleetwood Mac ('Rumours' era) jamming with The Travelling Wilburys! Very enjoyable, good work all round.

John

Songs web site
YouTube Channel
BIAB 2019
Cakewalk by BandLab
Studio One 4
ROG #220523 11/09/13 04:29 AM
User Showcase
ROG Offline OP
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
David - Pleased that it raised a smile! I need to up-grade my BiaB to a version with RTs so I can get the accordion and maybe even a fiddle into it.

John - Fleetwood and Wilburys? I'm a great big fan of both, so that was a huge complement. Many thanks.

ROG.

ROG #220541 11/09/13 07:32 AM
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Hi Rog and Jesie
I havent dissected it, I havent bothered about combing anything (except whats left of my hair!), I havent even wondered if the guitar you are picking is your Tele (lol) - I just Listened to it and loved it.
Great lyrics and superb production all round.
cheers
Ian

Old Guys Rule.The older I get,the better I was!
BB2023 ULTRA, 1013, Win 7 and 10

ALL TRACKS - https://app.box.com/s/501rnzrbadng1elvi45hbf7y08kl5oxp
SOUNDCLOUD-tracks using BB-
http://soundcloud.com/sixchannel
Videos-
https://youtube.com/user/Sixchannel1
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Video: Volume Automation in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created a video to help you learn more about the Volume Automation options in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows.

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Volume Automation

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#volume-automation

Video: Audio Input Monitoring with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created this short video to explain Audio Input Monitoring within Band-in-a-Box® 2024, and included some tips & troubleshooting details too!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Audio Input Monitoring

3:17: Tips
5:10: Troubleshooting

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#audio-input-monitoring

Video: Enhanced Melodists in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®!

We've enhanced the Melodists feature included in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows!

Access the Melodist feature by pressing F7 in the program to open the new MultiPicker Library and locate the [Melodist] tab.

You can now generate a melody on any track in the program - very handy! Plus, you select how much of the melody you want generated - specify a range, or apply it to the whole track.

See the Melodist in action with our video, Band-in-a-Box® 2024: The Melodist Window.

Learn even more about the enhancements to the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024upgrade/chapter3.htm#enhanced-melodist

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Specifically for Reaper®

New with the DAW Plugin Version 6.0, released with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows: the Reaper® Panel!

This new panel offers built-in specific support for the Reaper® DAW API allowing direct transfer of Band-in-a-Box® files to/from Reaper® tracks!

When you run the Plugin from Reaper®, there is a panel to set the following options:
-BB Track(s) to send: This allows you to select the Plugin tracks that will be sent Reaper.
-Destination Reaper Track: This lets you select the destination Reaper track to receive media content from the Plugin.
-At Bar: You can select a bar in Reaper where the Plugin tracks should be placed.
-Start Below Selected Track: This allows you to place the Plugin tracks below the destination Reaper track.
-Overwrite Reaper Track: You can overwrite previous content on the destination Reaper track.
-Move to Project Folder: With this option, you can move the Plugin tracks to the Reaper project folder.
-Send Reaper Instructions Enable this option to send the Reaper Instructions instead of rendering audio tracks, which is faster.
-Render Audio & Instructions: Enable this option to generate audio files and the Reaper instructions.
-Send Tracks After Generating: This allows the Plugin to automatically send tracks to Reaper after generating.
-Send Audio for MIDI Track: Enable this option to send rendered audio for MIDI tracks.
-Send RealCharts with Audio: If this option is enabled, Enable this option to send RealCharts with audio.

Check out this video highlighting the new Reaper®-specific features: Band-in-a-Box® DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Specifically for Reaper®

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Video

The new Band-in-a-Box VST DAW Plugin Verion 6 adds over 20 new features!

Watch the new features video to learn more: Video: Band-in-a-Box® 2024 - DAW Plugin Version 6 New Features

We also list these new features at www.pgmusic.com/bbwin.plugin.htm.

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,391
Posts732,466
Members38,440
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
Ernest J, Izzy, BenChaz, Csofi, mmpartee
38,439 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 195