Go To
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Off-Topic
P
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
P

Lenovo YOGA 900 Window s 10 Home 64bit 16GB RAM\2018 13” MacBook Air casio wk7500 presonus audiobox i2 usb interface
casio wk-7500
biab & realband 2023 everything pk both with Current builds
Off-Topic
M
Mac Offline
Veteran
Veteran
M
I believe the biblical term is, "apostacy"...

Look it up.

--Mac eek

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
I hope this doesn't degenerate into what it could, and I probably should address this in a PM, but Mac, I don't see how this fits the definition. Remember Jesus' first miracle.

"My primary musical instrument is the personal computer."
Off-Topic
M
Mac Offline
Veteran
Veteran
M
I knew you'd be along soon here, brother Richard, and you did not disappoint.

And I would reference you to Proverbs, among other chapters, regarding the admonitions against the drinking of wine, beer and "strong drink". I recall something about wine being a mocker and beer being a brawler, for one thing.

Some biblical historians and archeologists have made the case that the ancient Hebrew wedding wines were more like a mildly alcoholic grape juice than strong wine, but I do take into account what the wedding guests had to say regarding Jesus' first miracle as well.

But to me the bottom line is that this miracle took place at a wedding reception and not in the temple, eh?

It is interesting to me that there are so many complaining about deaths due to war, violence, guns, diseases, yet the same sources of complaint are remarkably silent as concerns death and disease due to alcohol abuse. Which, incidentally, statistically dwarfs ALL gun violence combined. Just sayin'...

--Mac

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
All points well taken, Mac, as well as the admonition not to do "what would cause your brother to stumble." However, the OP's story is not new. Before they were thrown out of England by Henry VIII, Catholics used to celebrate "church ales"--on Saturdays.

"My primary musical instrument is the personal computer."
Off-Topic
W
Expert
Expert
W
As for me, I'd have a bit of a problem trying to stay on the narrow path,with a few pints, but That's just me.
A lot of churches seem to thing that the simple Salvation through Christ is boring and old school needing a facelift.
Ask my Boss, He'll tell you what works for Him.
Wyndham

Off-Topic
C
Veteran
Veteran
C
I see that they have a 2 cup limit.

I prefer the "new wine (Ac, 2:13)."

Don S.

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
It would take more than 2 beers to get me listen to a preacher!

Now if they would remove the 2 beer limit, eliminate the preacher, add hot wings and strippers, … then I’d gladly go to church at the beer joint. wink

Off-Topic
C
Veteran
Veteran
C
I'm crushed. smile

Don S.

Off-Topic
M
Mac Offline
Veteran
Veteran
M
Bob chimed in a bit late by my reckoning, but I did know we'd be hearing from him here for some reason.

I hear tell that brother Bob's two favorite brands are Free and Free Lite... grin

--Mac

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: Mac
Bob chimed in a bit late by my reckoning, but I did know we'd be hearing from him here for some reason.

I hear tell that brother Bob's two favorite brands are Free and Free Lite... grin

--Mac

That's cause you're psychic Mac. I'm surprised you forgot that my brand is Bud Select since we talked about it on the phone just a week or two ago! wink

I couldn’t resist the joke. I actually don’t have a problem with adults practicing whatever their chosen brand of mythology/religion happens to be.

What I do have a problem with is fundamentalists who insist on taking their religious texts literally and reject any type of science that may differ from their narrow minded views.

It’s nothing new. Religion has always considered science and any other type of knowledge to be an enemy to their views since science/knowledge encourages people to think instead of listening solely to the preacher/priest. Galileo got to enjoy house arrest for life because he had the audacity to say that the Earth wasn’t the center of the universe.

Quote:
Galileo's championing of heliocentrism was controversial within his lifetime, when most subscribed to either geocentrism or the Tychonic system. He met with opposition from astronomers, who doubted heliocentrism due to the absence of an observed stellar parallax. The matter was investigated by the Roman Inquisition in 1615, and they concluded that it could be supported as only a possibility, not an established fact. Galileo later defended his views in Dialogue Concerning the Two Chief World Systems, which appeared to attack Pope Urban VIII and thus alienated him and the Jesuits, who had both supported Galileo up until this point. He was tried by the Inquisition, found "vehemently suspect of heresy", forced to recant, and spent the rest of his life under house arrest. It was while Galileo was under house arrest that he wrote one of his finest works, Two New Sciences, in which he summarised the work he had done some forty years earlier, on the two sciences now called kinematics and strength of materials.

What’s really sad today is that fundamentalists would still rather have their children grow up in fear and ignorance just so the parents can perpetuate their mythology. Who knows how many generations of would be scientists, biologists, geologists, physicists, etc. have been lost to a fear of knowledge and chosen to listen to the dogma because they were taught to fear a jealous and vengeful god who would punish them for thinking and asking questions.

It’s not a coincidence that the forbidden fruit was on the “Tree of Knowledge”!

Off-Topic
Expert
Expert
"It is not good to eat much honey;" (Proverbs 25:27)

Keith
2024 Audiophile Windows 11 AMD RYZEN THREADRIPPER 3960X 4.5GHZ 128 GB RAM 2 Nvidia RTX 3090s, Vegas,Acid,SoundForge,Izotope Production,Melodyne Studio,Cakewalk,Raven Mti
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Not to stir the pot or anything... but, by sheer coincidence, I was finishing up a mix on a song about this very thing when this thread was posted.

Hey! I wonder if I gave them the idea! HA!

It is posted in the Showcase if anyone is interested...

Off-Topic
M
Mac Offline
Veteran
Veteran
M
Originally Posted By: bobcflatpicker

What I do have a problem with is fundamentalists who insist on taking their religious texts literally and reject any type of science that may differ from their narrow minded views.

Narrow minded views are not limited to just that particular subset, my friend. Matter of fact, it could be said that your viewpoint emanates from the same place, if you are willing to think fairly about it.

Quote:
It’s nothing new. Religion has always considered science and any other type of knowledge to be an enemy to their views since science/knowledge encourages people to think instead of listening solely to the preacher/priest. Galileo got to enjoy house arrest for life because he had the audacity to say that the Earth wasn’t the center of the universe.

Always the Galileo citing comes up. ONE example, perpetrated by the Pope of the era, Roman Catholic, not exactly the same doctrine as that of the Protestant Fundamentalist, but let's not get mired down with facts when pursuing an agenda, eh?

Galileo expressly said that the Bible cannot err, and saw his system as an alternate interpretation of the biblical texts.

Outside of Galileo, history gives us Nicholas Copernicus, Sir Francis Bacon, Johannes Kepler, Rene Descartes, Blaise Pascal, Isaac Newton, Robert Boyle, Michael Faraday, Gregor Mendel, William Thomson Kelvin, Max Planck and Albert Einstein, all of them expressed their belief in the judeo-christian God in writing, all of them certainly known as scientists, all of them contributed in no uncertain terms to the body of scientific knowledge. source: http://www.godandscience.org/apologetics/sciencefaith.html

I search for Truth. Nothing more, nothing less.

--Mac

Off-Topic
Expert
Expert
The word God is for me nothing more than the expression and product of human weaknesses, the Bible a collection of honorable, but still primitive legends which are nevertheless pretty childish. No interpretation no matter how subtle can (for me) change this. These subtilised interpretations are highly manifold according to their nature and have almost nothing to do with the original text. For me the Jewish religion like all other religions is an incarnation of the most childish superstitions. And the Jewish people to whom I gladly belong and with whose mentality I have a deep affinity have no different quality for me than all other people. As far as my experience goes, they are also no better than other human groups, although they are protected from the worst cancers by a lack of power. Otherwise I cannot see anything 'chosen' about them. --- Albert Einstein

Keith
2024 Audiophile Windows 11 AMD RYZEN THREADRIPPER 3960X 4.5GHZ 128 GB RAM 2 Nvidia RTX 3090s, Vegas,Acid,SoundForge,Izotope Production,Melodyne Studio,Cakewalk,Raven Mti
Off-Topic
Expert
Expert
To believe means to recognize as a truth, and the knowledge of nature, continually advancing on incontestably safe tracks, has made it utterly impossible for a person possessing some training in natural science to recognize as founded on truth the many reports of extraordinary contradicting the laws of nature, of miracles which are still commonly regarded as essential supports and confirmations of religious doctrines, and which formerly used to be accepted as facts pure and simple, without doubt or criticism. The belief in miracles must retreat step by step before relentlessly and reliably progressing science and we cannot doubt that sooner or later it must vanish completely. -- M Planck

Although I have always been deeply religious, I do not believe in a personal God let alone a Christian God. -- M Planck (approximately 5 months before his death)

Keith
Off-Topic
M
Mac Offline
Veteran
Veteran
M
I wish you'd cite your sources, Keith.

--Mac

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Mac,

When I used the term “narrow minded” to describe fundamentalists, I wasn’t saying it as an insult. I was being descriptive of their belief system.

In short, the only way is their way with biblical inerrancy and literal interpretation, … or its eternal damnation, fiery torment, weeping and gnashing of your teeth while the worms eat your flesh. After all, … god is love! wink

As you well know, many Christian groups embrace faith and science. All it takes is a willingness to accept a metaphorical interpretation of scripture. Even Pat Robertson came out last Nov. in support of evolution and scientific views of the creation of the universe.

Personally, I’m agnostic with strong atheistic leanings. If there is a god, then I believe that he/she/it won’t even vaguely resemble the god portrayed by ANY religion. I obviously could be very wrong about that, but that’s what I believe.

When my son was ready to start kindergarten I started asking around for recommendations on private schools because I wanted to protect him from all of the drugs, sex in a broom closet and gangs that are so prevalent in public schools. Two schools kept coming up, one Protestant and one Catholic. Since I was Protestant at the time, I focused my inquiries on that one. I asked people who were sending their kids to this school about the science program and I was assured it was based on science and not creationism.

I went in to meet with the preacher/dean and asked him specifically about the science program and he looked me in the eye and assured me it was based on science. I believed the lying sack of sh*t. Unfortunately, I didn’t discover that he was a lying sack of sh*t until my son was a freshman in high school.

I was out of town for work 4 days a week and was only home on the weekends. They didn’t give homework on the weekends so I never got to help my son with homework or I would have discovered they were using the Bible as a science book.

My son came to me during his freshman year and begged me to get him out of there. He told me in detail about all the BS they’d been feeding him and I was stunned and furious. I felt betrayed by the school and the preacher. I was angry with myself for allowing my son to be subjected to this ludicrous indoctrination. I asked him why he didn’t tell me sooner and he said he thought I knew and that I wanted him to be taught creationism.

I started to go to the school to see the preacher but I knew if did, the preacher would have ended up in the hospital and I would have ended up in jail.

First moral of the tale, … don’t believe anything a preacher says. (I have lots of reasons for this besides the dean at the school).

Second moral of the tale, … don’t send your child to a Christian school unless you want them to become atheists.

My son became one a few years before I did.

Off-Topic
J
Veteran
Veteran
J
In a letter to Beatrice Frohlich, 17 December 1952 Einstein stated, "The idea of a personal God is quite alien to me and seems even naïve."

Calaprice, Alice (2000). The Expanded Quotable Einstein. Princeton: Princeton University Press, p. 217. Einstein Archives 59-797

----------------

"The word God is for me nothing more than the expression and product of human weaknesses, the Bible a collection of honourable, but still primitive legends. No interpretation no matter how subtle can (for me) change this. These subtilised interpretations are highly manifold according to their nature and have almost nothing to do with the original text."

James Randerson (13 May 2008). "Childish superstition: Einstein's letter makes view of religion relatively clear". The Guardian.
"What he wrote". The Guardian. 13 May 2008.
"Einstein letter calls Bible ‘pretty childish’". NBCNews. Associated Press. 13 May 2008.
"Einstein Letter: Belief In God "Childish," Jews Not Chosen People". The Huffington Post. 21 May 2008.
Calaprice, Alice (2011). The Ultimate Quotable Einstein. Princeton, New Jersey: Princeton University Press, p. 342.

Off-Topic
C
Veteran
Veteran
C
"First moral of the tale, … don’t believe anything a preacher says. (I have lots of reasons for this besides the dean at the school)."

So, if one preacher lied to you, they all do? Aren't you being a bit irrational, Bob?

Don S.

Last edited by Curmudgeon; 11/04/13 01:28 PM.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Update Your PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 Today!

Add updated printing options, enhanced tracks settings, smoother use of MGU and SGU (BB files) within PowerTracks, and more with the latest PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 update!

Learn more about this free update for PowerTracks Pro Audio & download it at www.pgmusic.com/support_windows_pt.htm#2024_5

The Newest RealBand 2024 Update is Here!

The newest RealBand 2024 Build 5 update is now available!

Download and install this to your RealBand 2024 for updated print options, streamlined loading and saving of .SGU & MGU (BB) files, and to add a number of program adjustments that address user-reported bugs and concerns.

This free update is available to all RealBand 2024 users. To learn more about this update and download it, head to www.pgmusic.com/support.realband.htm#20245

The Band-in-a-Box® Flash Drive Backup Option

Today (April 5) is National Flash Drive Day!

Did you know... not only can you download your Band-in-a-Box® Pro, MegaPAK, or PlusPAK purchase - you can also choose to add a flash drive backup copy with the installation files for only $15? It even comes with a Band-in-a-Box® keychain!

For the larger Band-in-a-Box® packages (UltraPAK, UltraPAK+, Audiophile Edition), the hard drive backup copy is available for only $25. This will include a preinstalled and ready to use program, along with your installation files.

Backup copies are offered during the checkout process on our website.

Already purchased your e-delivery version, and now you wish you had a backup copy? It's not too late! If your purchase was for the current version of Band-in-a-Box®, you can still reach out to our team directly to place your backup copy order!

Note: the Band-in-a-Box® keychain is only included with flash drive backup copies, and cannot be purchased separately.

Handy flash drive tip: Always try plugging in a USB device the wrong way first? If your flash drive (or other USB plug) doesn't have a symbol to indicate which way is up, look for the side with a seam on the metal connector (it only has a line across one side) - that's the side that either faces down or to the left, depending on your port placement.

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows® Today!

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows for free with build 1111!

With this update, there's more control when saving images from the Print Preview window, we've added defaults to the MultiPicker for sorting and font size, updated printing options, updated RealTracks and other content, and addressed user-reported issues with the StylePicker, MIDI Soloists, key signature changes, and more!

Learn more about this free update for Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/support_windowsupdates.htm#1111

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 Review: 4.75 out of 5 Stars!

If you're looking for a in-depth review of the newest Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows version, you'll definitely find it with Sound-Guy's latest review, Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows Review: Incredible new capabilities to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs.

A few excerpts:
"The Tracks view is possibly the single most powerful addition in 2024 and opens up a new way to edit and generate accompaniments. Combined with the new MultiPicker Library Window, it makes BIAB nearly perfect as an 'intelligent' composer/arranger program."

"MIDI SuperTracks partial generation showing six variations – each time the section is generated it can be instantly auditioned, re-generated or backed out to a previous generation – and you can do this with any track type. This is MAJOR! This takes musical experimentation and honing an arrangement to a new level, and faster than ever."

"Band in a Box continues to be an expansive musical tool-set for both novice and experienced musicians to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs, as well as an extensive educational resource. It is huge, with hundreds of functions, more than any one person is likely to ever use. Yet, so is any DAW that I have used. BIAB can do some things that no DAW does, and this year BIAB has more DAW-like functions than ever."

Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,610
Posts735,054
Members38,515
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
TonyInManchester, jslynbrrs01, amdwilsns01, Juan Jose, BroDon
38,515 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 190