Index
Next Thread
Print Thread
Go To
Recording, Mixing, Performance and Production
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Noel, Herb, or anyone else please chime in...

I saw it mentioned that you keep Ozone in your master bus AS you mix. I'd like to try this but how do you find a "one size fits all songs" setting that fits with each new and different song?

Thank you.

Veteran
Online Content
Veteran
Josie, I don't do it this way; I prepare a .WAV file then use Ozone on it within SONAR for finishing touches (you could use any DAW). One reason is that yes, every song requires different adjustments in Ozone (the presets only get you so far). Another reason is that Ozone by itself is quite CPU intensive.

Izotope also makes a sort-of "Ozone light" that is called Alloy. It is not anywhere near the drain on the CPU and is designed to be used on several tracks independently. I would think this would be a better choice to use in real time in BIAB.

BIAB 2024 Win Audiophile. Software: Studio One 6.5 Pro, Swam horns, Acoustica-7, Notion 6; Win 11 Home. Hardware: Intel i9, 32 Gb; Roland Integra-7, Presonus Studio 192, Presonus Faderport 8, Royer 121, Adam Sub8 & Neumann 120 monitors
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Matt,

Thank you for replying.

I usually do it that way too. I mix down to a stereo file - I use Tracktion 3 - then run that through Ozone but they were talking about running Ozone on the master bus while they are mixing so they get a better idea of what the mix is going to sound like....

BTW, I demo'd Alloy but didn't buy it. I have other plugs I like as well. And it seemed to me like it wasn't that much less cpu hungry than Ozone or especially my Mackie plugs - ymmv. smile

I'm always interested how other people mix so I'm curious how they come up with a setting that works. Both of them do really great sounding tracks.

Veteran
Online Content
Veteran
It's an intriguing idea, quite foreign to the 'normal' approach of mix then master. Ill have to try it.

BIAB 2024 Win Audiophile. Software: Studio One 6.5 Pro, Swam horns, Acoustica-7, Notion 6; Win 11 Home. Hardware: Intel i9, 32 Gb; Roland Integra-7, Presonus Studio 192, Presonus Faderport 8, Royer 121, Adam Sub8 & Neumann 120 monitors
R
Veteran
Veteran
R
Josie, you should give Final mix a try as well since you are using Tracktion.

I typically mix without having Final Mix engaged and then I'll play around with some of my favorite presets to see if they bring something to life that I missed. Then I'll turn it off and see if I can get that magic by mixing. Often times, if I'm in a rush to get a song in the bag, I'll just go with the Final Mix preset enabled.

I've never used Ozone, but my understanding is that Final Mix is very similar (parametric EQ, multi-band compressor, limiter, etc.) with presets to help you along the way.

Veteran
Veteran
Hi Josie,

Below is an overview of how I use Ozone.

I'll back up a bit first ...

1. After I've created my song in BIAB, I open it in RB and then play around with Realtracks to see if I can find other instruments that sound better than the ones I chose in BIAB. At this stage, I'm also looking for Background or Soloist tracks that I can use snippets from for sweetening the mix with a bit of added musical interest.

2. Once that's done, I save all tracks to WAV files with panning set to centre and with reverb set to zero. I then load those tracks into my DAW (Reaper). I normalise all tracks, instrumental, drums, vocal. At this stage of the process, I have not yet loaded the Ozone plugin.

Quote:
Once in Reaper, I route my instrumental and drum tracks through two reverbs - one short and one longer. I pan the reverbs for each individual haphazardly around the stereo field. It doesn't seem to matter where I pan each reverb but spreading them around adds a bit of overall depth to the sound (at least to my ears.) I never change these two reverbs from song to song. They're presets that I set up 18 months ago and I just leave them. That being said, I'm cautious as to how much reverb I use from these presets because Ozone will also add reverb later in the process. As a rule of thumb, I try to keep reverb in my finished product to a minimum.

Note: Reaper allows for independent reverb panning and track panning.

3. Now I roughly mix the tracks to get a reasonable sound. At this stage, I'm not all that fussed if the sound isn't the best. I then record 8 vocal tracks of the melody, one after the other. Doing it this way keeps the sound of each vocal track fairly consistent with the others. It's from these 8 tracks that I'll compile a master vocal track.

Quote:
My vocals are recorded in 44.1 kHz, 16 bit to match the Realtracks. I reason that if all my tracks are 44.1/16, then I do not have to have Ozone doing any dithering to match different frequencies and bitrates. This will have to be less of a burden on the computer's CPU.

4. Now that I've done all that, I load Ozone into the Master track. I'm not sure how Tracktion works but in Reaper, all tracks are channeled through the Master track. This means that all individual tracks will be routed through Ozone. I don't have to do anything fancy to get this to happen.

5. Now I play with Ozone. I'm a preset person, totally unadventurous. I simply try different presets until I find one that seems to work with the instruments I have. "CD Master" is always a good standby smile These days I lean towards "Country" and "Rock" presets if my song has acoustic and electric guitars in it. If it's one of my tin pan alley styled songs, I tend to use the "Gentle Tube" preset. These are the ones that provide me with good starting places. (I do sometimes experiment with other presets so I guess I'm a little bit adventurous on the odd occasion.)

6. With Ozone operating and a preset selected, I now starting fine-tuning the mix. Because there's some compression in Ozone, I find it valuable to have it operating while I mix. This allows me to easily optimise the various tracks volumes.

Quote:
For example, the below image relates to Jason Wyatt's lead guitar at the end of verse 2 and start of chorus 2. The bar numbers near the top of the image (29.1.00, 31.1.00, 33.1.00) will allow you to compare the image with my song "Brighter Than Any Star" (you can also download the pdf leadsheet and see what's happening at those bars).

link to Brighter Than Any Star. The leadsheet is found at this link also.

7. Once I have the sound I like (that usually takes about a week or two of 'playing around' with volume shaping), I then create a mixed-down, stereo WAV file of the song. As mentioned before, I stay with CD quality of 44.1 kHz and 16 bit throughout my whole process.

Hope this helps.

Thank you for asking this question. It will be interesting to see what Herb does, if he has time to reply, because his songs sound spectacular and I know that he also uses Ozone early in the mix.

I seem to recall that you mentioned once that your music computer runs XP and has 2 GB of RAM. I'm not sure if this will work with Ozone plugged and processing constantly. It would be interesting to try it out.

Best wishes,
Noel

MY SONGS...
Audiophile BIAB 2024
Veteran
Veteran
Josie,

I started with the Ozone 4 band rock preset in Ozone.

I took that preset and used it as a starting point and then edited it by changing the various modules settings in it to something that I liked even better. (personal taste) Then I simply save it with a new name.

It's now in my list of presets in Ozone.

While I start every project by inserting it into the master bus, there is no such thing as one size fits all. So it simply becomes a starting point. Quite often I do not change it. I have fine tuned it to the point that it really does work well in most songs to shape the overall tonal quality of the song. But in the end, it's just a starting point.

The BEST advice I can give is for you to learn as much as possible about what Ozone does in the modules. Learn what happens when you increase a fader or change the attack in a compressor so that you actually know and understand what you are doing when you adjust something....and even more importantly, WHY you NEED to do that.

Ozone has some PDF's that you should download and read.... it applies to Ozone of course BUT it also applies to mixing in general and to specific operations. Also Mike Senior's book, Mixing Secrets for the small studio is an excellent read. Get that book and read it. You will learn so much from it.

Some folks are from the old school of export the wave and then Master it.... and if I was planning to release the music on a CD as an artist, I might consider that... but in that case there would be no mastering in my studio. Export to red book standards and let someone else do the Mastering.

Since I am not in that category, I do (small "m") mastering in my studio..... I simply make it sound good, polished, and with a bit of shine.... that works for my purposes. So, I do insert from the start and work towards that end goal from the first note in the first track to the final raise the master output faders to their final mix level.

You can find my music at:
www.herbhartley.com
Add nothing that adds nothing to the music.
You can make excuses or you can make progress but not both.

The magic you are looking for is in the work you are avoiding.
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Scott,

Thank you for your input. I have used and like Final Mix very much. The way Ozone is set up with the modules seems easier to have more control with an added feature or two compared to FM. Also the Ozone compared to FM sounds just slightly silkier for lack of a better way to describe it - at least that's how I hear it - whether I'm trying a preset of tweaking one - most often tweaking. smile But don't get me wrong because FM is a great plug in and I do use it just not as much as I do Ozone. I'll have to try FM on the master bus while I'm mixing - never tried using it that way.

But one of the reasons I'm still using the old computer Noel mentioned for music instead of the new one we bought is that T3 and all it's plugins work without a hiccup so I'm hanging with it until I have to move all music stuff over to the win 8 machine.

BTW, I enjoyed the free Berklee music production class - great teacher.

Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Wow Noel,

Thank you for such a detailed explanation. That was great. In T3 I can just drop an effect on the master bus. Individual track reverb panning - now that's a really cool feature I've not been able to do in T3.

I'm going to try Ozone on the master bus while mixing and if it's too much for the old computer I'll try Final Mix and see how that does. If all else fails I guess I could do the dreaded switch to the win 8 computer - eewww what a chore that's gonna be. <grin>

Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Herb,

Thank you for sharing too. The Ozone guides are good stuff. I'll have to check out the book you mentioned.
I read a lot, watch many videos and live ustreams on the subject, etc. I'm always interested in people's mixing approach and how they get their sound. Then I experiment to try and see if it works for me. I don't always get it right and am not where I want to be yet but better than I used to be. My main problem lately is actually mixing regularly enough so that I keep what I learn in this air head. LOL!

ROG Offline
Veteran
Veteran
Hi Josie.

As usual, I seem to do it differently to everyone else. I'm not saying that the way I work is any better, but you may find it interesting.

I don't like a compressor, or such, on the main output whilst I'm mixing, because the channel faders don't work in isolation. That is, raising the level of one channel can push the mix further over the threshold and affect the other levels.

I still compress each track individually at the recording stage, choosing a compressor with the right characteristics for the instrument. I find this works better than trying to compress the overall mix. I also find it makes the mix easier and I never add reverb until the mix is sorted.

Finally, I might put a bit of tape saturation and a balancing amp on the main output, but often the mix is OK as it is, because the compression was taken care of earlier.

It's very much how we had to work in the past, when tape ruled, so this probably why I still find this easier.

ROG.

Veteran
Veteran
For a final run I'll do the mix to wav, then master the wav route .. for many reasons.
But that doesn't stop me from using it occasionally along the way inside RB. It's part of the fun of experimenting, and we have that luxury in this day/age. Have fun trying things.

I will say, inserting Ozone on a mix has exposed flaws that I could then go back and correct before saving it, but as ROG mentions it affects the whole mixing process. So I put it in and try it, find a preset close to what I am looking for, and *listen*.
If the sound I am going after in mastering negatively affects the mix, I'd rather know before mixing down, saving/closing, opening new file, etc.
I use it there more to 'test' than for regular use. And for doing a quick mix to listen to on the way to work .. that sort of thing.

Make your sound your own!
.. I do not work here, but the benefits are still awesome
M
Mac Offline
Veteran
Veteran
M
Mac's two cents here is that I don't want anything that will mask what I am hearing during the critical mixing phase.

My way of doing things, you have to develop an ear for what a good mix should sound like in the digital domain BEFORE Mastering takes place.

I expect things to sound a bit "thin" at that point, knowing full well the parameters that Mastering will bring once it is accomplished.

The bottom line, though, is what Duke Ellington said.

"If it sounds good, then it IS good!"

So if you can make good sounding stuff by running Ozone alla time, just do it.

--Mac

P
Veteran
Veteran
P
Josie you can start with a preset and then correct, for example if your song is country then use a country preset.

on my version on the country setting it sets the threshold on the maximizer to -5 and the margin to -.3, if a country song is mixed properly this setting should be good.

on the maximizer set dc offset to on and use mbit type, set the bit rate to the rate of the tracks set dither to normal

next go to the eq
click on the stereo until mid/side appears
set the mid settings
# Band Type Frequency Boost Q
1 Low Shelf 30hz 0 1
2 bell 55hz 1 12
3 bell 110 1 12
4 bell 520 0 .3
5 bell 1870 0 .3
6 bell 4000 .5 .3
7 bell 7400 0 .3
8 High Shelf 16000 0 1

frequency can be changed go for best sound this is just a good place to start and will usually fit nicely

Set Side Settings
# Band Type Frequency Boost Q
1 Low Shelf 200 -1 1
2 bell 70 0 .2
3 bell 180 0 .3
4 bell 520 0 .3
5 bell 1870 0 .3
6 bell 3900 0 .3
7 bell 7400 0 .3
8 High Shelf 8000 1 1

frequency and adjustments can be changed go for best sound this is just a good place to start and will usually fit nicely

Next set the Exciter
Band Range Frequency Boost
1 Low End 20-120 .4
2 Low Mids 120-2k .3
3 Upper Mids 2k-10k .5
4 Highs 10k-20k 1
slide the bands to match up to frequency

next set multi band compressor
set bands at 20 100 2k 10-20

next set attack to 265 slow
set release medium fast 275 ratio 1.5

solo the low end and adjust until you hear the high end of the kick and bass around mid 200's but adjust to taste
pull threshold back for a 1.5 to a 3 gain reduction
add a just a little more gain than reduction on the gain section.

if you choose to use the mastering reverb at this time slide the low shelf and high shelf to where it sounds good to you set dry @ 100 then move the wet to taste, if you are putting reverb on the whole mix it is best to use the room verb setting but is not carved in stone.

The last thing is set the stereo image
only use bands 3 and 4 as a rule
set 3=.20 4=.40

I hope this helps, if you have any questions feel free to drop me a line.

My Tunes

Psalm 57:7 My heart, O God, is steadfast, my heart is steadfast; I will sing and make music.
R
Veteran
Veteran
R
Josie,

I think that most of the responses in this thread would lead to disabling the mastering plugin of choice in a mixing phase of a project.

Summary of various quotes:

"I don't like a compressor, or such, on the main output whilst I'm mixing, because the channel faders don't work in isolation. That is, raising the level of one channel can push the mix further over the threshold and affect the other levels."

"you have to develop an ear for what a good mix should sound like in the digital domain BEFORE Mastering takes place.

I expect things to sound a bit "thin" at that point, knowing full well the parameters that Mastering will bring once it is accomplished."

"Now that I've done all that, I load Ozone into the Master track." (all that being quite a bit of mixdown/mixing, level adjusting, etc.)

There is one response that does go at it from the other way:

"So, I do insert from the start and work towards that end goal from the first note in the first track to the final raise the master output faders to their final mix level."

I will admit that I worked that way with Final Mix for probably 6 months to a year back in the mid 2000's when I got Tracktion 2, but I found that what was happening was what is reflected in the first quote in this post" The multi-band compression/expansion section of Tracktion was not letting me carve out space in the frequency domain for each track. I do quite alot of High Pass filtering on tracks that really don't need low end. I'll also really hack away at acoustic ensemble instruments from an EQ and panning standpoint.

BTW, Noel's technique of independently panning track level vs. reverb level for instruments is quite easy to do in Tracktion and just about any other DAW that allows for bussing. Set up a send 'filter' for two different reverb types (or as many as you like), on the returns, you can pan those however you would like, as long as the volume/pan filter in Tracktion for those returns is after the reverb vsts on their individual return tracks. You can then shrink these on the screen so they don't hog the space.

Put the sends POST FADER on the tracks where you are wanting to do this. That's a key point to execute this. That is, the 'send' 'filter' in Tracktion needs to go after the volume and pan fader for that track. In the return track, the reverb filters should go PRE volume/pan 'filter', so that the output of the reverb VST can be panned by that. If you put the sends pre volume/pan fader, then that particular track's pan/volume setting will control both the main track volume/pan as well as what is brought back from the reverb; effectively killing off the work you did on the reverb returns to pan them how you would like.

Hopefully this makes sense. I can do a T3 template for you in an archive project, or post you a screenshot.

M
Mac Offline
Veteran
Veteran
M
Can be done if you use your head and make judicious use of BYPASS when making mix changes, then turning it back on to hear what the Final sounds like.

It is rather common to insert a Master Comp set up to function like a Limiter there.

Again, use that bypass control often. This makes sure that your mix changes are truly a function of the mix change itself and not the Mastering plugin.

As with any of these technical issues, I know of no way to get good results for the person who, for whatever reason, refuses to learn and understand the basic function, care and feeding, of the Audio Compressor, EQ and such matters.

Well worth the time spent scoping it out, the good news is that the Internet has a wealth of material on these subjects and most of it is only at the cost of a few minutes a day of your time.

And always mix at low "conversational" volume levels. So you can hear the problems.

--Mac

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Video: Volume Automation in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created a video to help you learn more about the Volume Automation options in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows.

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Volume Automation

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#volume-automation

Video: Audio Input Monitoring with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created this short video to explain Audio Input Monitoring within Band-in-a-Box® 2024, and included some tips & troubleshooting details too!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Audio Input Monitoring

3:17: Tips
5:10: Troubleshooting

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#audio-input-monitoring

Video: Enhanced Melodists in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®!

We've enhanced the Melodists feature included in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows!

Access the Melodist feature by pressing F7 in the program to open the new MultiPicker Library and locate the [Melodist] tab.

You can now generate a melody on any track in the program - very handy! Plus, you select how much of the melody you want generated - specify a range, or apply it to the whole track.

See the Melodist in action with our video, Band-in-a-Box® 2024: The Melodist Window.

Learn even more about the enhancements to the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024upgrade/chapter3.htm#enhanced-melodist

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Specifically for Reaper®

New with the DAW Plugin Version 6.0, released with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows: the Reaper® Panel!

This new panel offers built-in specific support for the Reaper® DAW API allowing direct transfer of Band-in-a-Box® files to/from Reaper® tracks!

When you run the Plugin from Reaper®, there is a panel to set the following options:
-BB Track(s) to send: This allows you to select the Plugin tracks that will be sent Reaper.
-Destination Reaper Track: This lets you select the destination Reaper track to receive media content from the Plugin.
-At Bar: You can select a bar in Reaper where the Plugin tracks should be placed.
-Start Below Selected Track: This allows you to place the Plugin tracks below the destination Reaper track.
-Overwrite Reaper Track: You can overwrite previous content on the destination Reaper track.
-Move to Project Folder: With this option, you can move the Plugin tracks to the Reaper project folder.
-Send Reaper Instructions Enable this option to send the Reaper Instructions instead of rendering audio tracks, which is faster.
-Render Audio & Instructions: Enable this option to generate audio files and the Reaper instructions.
-Send Tracks After Generating: This allows the Plugin to automatically send tracks to Reaper after generating.
-Send Audio for MIDI Track: Enable this option to send rendered audio for MIDI tracks.
-Send RealCharts with Audio: If this option is enabled, Enable this option to send RealCharts with audio.

Check out this video highlighting the new Reaper®-specific features: Band-in-a-Box® DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Specifically for Reaper®

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Video

The new Band-in-a-Box VST DAW Plugin Verion 6 adds over 20 new features!

Watch the new features video to learn more: Video: Band-in-a-Box® 2024 - DAW Plugin Version 6 New Features

We also list these new features at www.pgmusic.com/bbwin.plugin.htm.

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,391
Posts732,466
Members38,440
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
Ernest J, Izzy, BenChaz, Csofi, mmpartee
38,439 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 195