You need to be logged in to post
Options
Index
#220288 - 11/06/13 06:21 PM [User Showcase] One for Alyn: DREAMSVILLE
aleck rand Offline
Expert

My British mate Alyn asked about how one goes about making a tune like THE MOONTRANE. I promised to post something about this, alerting him by using his name in the post.

Alyn, I realized too late that BIAB cannot handle a tune like MOONTRANE and, except for RealTracks percussion, it wasn't used at all! The sound you just heard was me slapping my forehead.

In this case, BIAB's unique strength - entering chord symbols as input - turns out to be an essential weakness. The only fake book version of MOONTRANE that I know of has incorrect chord changes. No surprise there. And even capable musicians blunder around on this one. Case in point: Listen to 0:41-0:46 of this performance of MOONTRANE on YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cnGPJRXOyjQ&feature=related

Ouch!

So what do you do when you don't have the chords to enter into BIAB? Well, you go back to the original recording and try to "hear" the changes directly off the record. That may or may not be easy. With MOONTRANE, not.

So I decided to post a tune that I suspect you'll like - I think it's Henry Mancini's most gorgeous creation - and send the technical details of how to "trick" BIAB into producing the voicings you want to the Tips and Tricks Forum.

I hope all Forum members enjoy DREAMSVILLE https://soundcloud.com/aleckrand/dreamsville

Dean Clark (aka Aleck Rand)
Sweetwater Creation Station. BIAB 2018, Mixcraft 8 Pro Studio, Izotope Nektar 2, Ozone 8, KEYBOARDS: Kurzweil Artis 7, Crumar MOJO, Hammond XK-3, BASSES (fretted & fretless by Ibanez, LTD, Warwick. GUITARS by Guild, Gretsch, Ibanez, Eastwood (12 string)

#220315 - 11/06/13 09:11 PM [User Showcase] Re: One for Alyn: DREAMSVILLE [Re: aleck rand]
Loc: Florida
floyd jane Offline
Veteran

Loc: Florida
Aleck(Dean),

This is stunningly beautiful. My favorite of anything you've ever presented here. Both the bass and guitar playing exude emotion. When I first saw it, I thought ooohh that's kind of long... then I enjoyed every second of it.

Cool. Jazzy. A pleasure.

floyd

#220323 - 11/06/13 10:31 PM [User Showcase] Re: One for Alyn: DREAMSVILLE [Re: aleck rand]
Loc: Florida, USA
cubanpete Offline
Expert

Loc: Florida, USA
Wow!

#220324 - 11/06/13 11:02 PM [User Showcase] Re: One for Alyn: DREAMSVILLE [Re: aleck rand]
Loc: Sacramento, California
dcuny Offline
Veteran

Loc: Sacramento, California
Nice!

I'd actually picked JABB with the hopes that I'd be able to coax some cool Mancini sounds from that library, but no such luck. frown But I hope someday to get a bit closer to that magic sound.

Anyway, very cool.

Vocal control, you say. Never heard of it. Is that some kind of ProTools thing?

#220350 - 11/07/13 07:49 AM [User Showcase] Re: One for Alyn: DREAMSVILLE [Re: aleck rand]
Guitarhacker Offline
Veteran

I enjoyed that mellow musical excursion into jazz.

Add nothing that adds nothing to the music.

As the sword chooses the warrior, so too, the song chooses the writer.

#220352 - 11/07/13 07:54 AM [User Showcase] Re: One for Alyn: DREAMSVILLE [Re: aleck rand]
Loc: wales
gibson Offline
Veteran

Dean (Aleck)

WOW that's beautiful.
I just sat at the ending and stared at the screen, silence was the only way to fully appreciate that. And then I almost expected the tumultuous applause to start laugh

Thank you

Alyn

My story

#220356 - 11/07/13 09:22 AM [User Showcase] Re: One for Alyn: DREAMSVILLE [Re: aleck rand]
Loc: New York
rsdean Offline
Veteran

Loc: New York
This is excellent all around!

Bob

#220361 - 11/07/13 10:20 AM [User Showcase] Re: One for Alyn: DREAMSVILLE [Re: aleck rand]
Loc: Karlsruhe, Germany
boehm Offline
Veteran

Loc: Karlsruhe, Germany
Hi Dean,

very, very beautiful.

Guenter

#220452 - 11/08/13 06:50 AM [User Showcase] Re: One for Alyn: DREAMSVILLE [Re: aleck rand]
Loc: Helsinki, Finland
dani48 Offline
Veteran

Hi, Dean !

That bass goes right thru my head
from ear to ear ! wow !!:))
I can hear that everything is
okay again !:))

Cheers
Dani

#220493 - 11/08/13 04:24 PM [User Showcase] Re: One for Alyn: DREAMSVILLE [Re: floyd jane]
aleck rand Offline
Expert

I agree with you Floyd. It's my favorite too. And thank you for listening and commenting so favorably.

Dean

#220495 - 11/08/13 04:31 PM [User Showcase] Re: One for Alyn: DREAMSVILLE [Re: gibson]
aleck rand Offline
Expert

Hi Alyn,

I'm so glad you liked DREAMSVILLE. Of course, the stunning complements make my day. Sometime you'll have to explain why they call it the M4 Boogaloo. I know what the M4 is, but what about the Boogaloo part?

Dean

#220580 - 11/09/13 04:22 PM [User Showcase] Re: One for Alyn: DREAMSVILLE [Re: dani48]
aleck rand Offline
Expert

Hi Dani,

I wonder if this name rings a bell: Phineas Gage. He was, I believe, a railroad worker on the job when an explosive charge caused a piece of iron pipe to strike his jaw, enter his brain and emerge from the other side of his skull. And there it remained as doctors studied him intensively. At first, Gage appeared to have suffered no ill effects, but eventually (the pipe had damaged his frontal lobes) he begin acting erratically, making bad decisions, etc.

Now, you might wonder why I am telling you this story. Well, it's this quote of yours:
Originally Posted By: dani48
That bass goes right thru my head
from ear to ear ! wow !!:))

I'm just glad that you mean that figuratively, my friend. Otherwise, it would be an amazing new take on the story of Phineas Gage. I can see the headlines now:

................MAN SURVIVES FRETLESS BASS THROUGH SKULL
............,,,,...........Doctors marvel. Only effect appears to be .............................................................................,,,,,,,,,....''''''.................
...........................''........[
a deepening of the voice by several octaves

And, of course, thank you so much for the generous compliments.

Dean

#220582 - 11/09/13 04:35 PM [User Showcase] Re: One for Alyn: DREAMSVILLE [Re: aleck rand]
dani48 Offline
Veteran

Hi, Dean !

Please, help me ! I have laughed
so that my belly turns inside out .......:))
I can imagine the guy with the bass
through his ears................huh....
and the only consequence is a deepening
of the voice by several octaves......:)))
I think we have accidentally invented the real
treatment for guys who want to go deeper ?:))

Cheers
Daniel

Edited by dani48 (11/10/13 06:16 AM)

#220583 - 11/09/13 04:49 PM [User Showcase] Re: One for Alyn: DREAMSVILLE [Re: cubanpete]
aleck rand Offline
Expert

Pete,

That one word comment makes my day. Thanks pal.

Dean (Aleck)

#220614 - 11/10/13 04:42 AM [User Showcase] Re: One for Alyn: DREAMSVILLE [Re: aleck rand]
gibson Offline
Veteran

Dean,
I wrote a poem in 1985/6 which eventually became a song about my move from London to South Wales.
At that time I was listening to "non mainstream" songs, on cassettes in the car, from the 1930's to 1960's as I drove to work each day and I can only assume I picked up that word from those songs.
In my mind it described perfectly my manic way of driving blush up the M4 motorway as I drove to see my parents! Hence "I got the M4 Boogaloo".

Other than that I have no idea!

Alyn

My story

#220711 - 11/10/13 05:11 PM [User Showcase] Re: One for Alyn: DREAMSVILLE [Re: dani48]
aleck rand Offline
Expert

Dani my pal!

I just knew I would get you with that headline ...

Dean

PG Music News
Let's Hear Your Band-in-a-Box® Songs!

Working on your first song in Band-in-a-Box®? Or maybe you've built up a great collection of songs... Make sure to share them to the User Showcase Forum where other program users post their original songs too! Receive feedback, build your audience, and connect with other enthusiastic program users - you'll be happy you did!

While you're there, make sure to listen to some of the other great songs posted!

Band-in-a-Box® Country Music Add-ons!

Happy International Country Music Day!!!

You might not think of Band-in-a-Box® as a country music making machine, but you'd be surprised... there are OVER 850 Country RealTracks available!

See (hear?) the Country songs created by Band-in-a-Box® users when you check out the Band-in-a-Box® Radio playlists Country/EZ Listening/Folk 1 and Country/EZ Listening/Folk 2.

Feeling inspired to create your own Country song in Band-in-a-Box®? Pop into the RealTracks Picker and create your own custom country band by filtering for "Country" or choose an existing Country style within the StylePicker Window by choosing a "Country" Filter String (from the drop down menu).

Band-in-a-Box® 2020 French for Mac is Here!

Band-in-a-Box® 2020 apporte plus de 50 nouvelles fonctionnalités ! Des améliorations ont été apportées aux RealTracks (RealTracks vocales au son plus doux, Epaississement des RealTracks, fonctions RealTracks "Trouver un Subs" et Multiriffs). La majorité des RealDrums dispose maintenant de RealCharts (avec une notation Drums précise). Le nouveau navigateur d'artistes RealTracks permet la recherche d'informations/bios/liens/listes sur artistes RealTracks. Le nouveau navigateur de fonctions permet à l'utilisateur nouveau ou "tête en l'air" de trouver et d'utiliser facilement la plupart des fonctionnalités/raccourcis/documents à partir d'une seule fenêtre. L'égalisation du tempo permet de changer un morceau rubato enregistré en un tempo fixe. L'étirement audio temps/pitch a été amélioré (Elastique inclus). Il y a des améliorations un peu partout dans le SongPicker, les Intros automatiques avec Basse/drums ou drums seuls, l'extension du nombre de titres avec + 3.400 titres nouveaux, MusicXML, la guitare avec vues "gaucher" et "élève", la fonction glisser-déposer, l'affichage multi-fenêtres de l'Assistant Accord Audio et bien plus encore !

ACHAT / MISE À JOUR, & TÉLÉCHARGEMENT MAINTENANT!

Get Inspired with the Band-in-a-Box® Title Generator!

There can be many triggers that could inspire you to write a song... but what if you're wanting to write a song, and are having trouble finding the inspiration you need?

Jump start your creativity using the Title Generator feature in Band-in-a-Box®.

I love this feature - it delivers some beautiful results!

To access this feature:

Mac: select Edit | Chords | Auto-Generate Song Title menu command (control+shift+S). The song title will appear in the Title window! Repeat the Auto-Generate Song Title command until the program comes up with a suitable title for your song. Band-in-a-Box® will keep generating new titles for as long as it takes to get the right one.

Windows: click on the "Generate Title" button within the main screen of the program and you can choose to "auto-generate" a song title which will appear right in the Title field of your song, or for a more varied selection choose to "generate multiple titles" and you'll be taken to the Title Generator window, which can generate a list of 50 song titles for you!

I've just done this, and won't bother list all 50 here - but the "top 10" I've chosen from my generated list are:
Eloquent Laugh
Statuesque Luck
Considering a Rainbow
Brief Fling, Acknowledged
Something for a Sandpiper
Happy Runaround
Cheatin' Skies
Then Came a Rose
The Mention of My Love
Eternal Raincheck

Give it a try!

The resource for this feature can also be edited, allowing you to customize the results.
(to do this, review the file TITL1.TXT within the BB Data folder.)

Band-in-a-Box® - Loops-with-Style PAK Video Tutorial

Wondering how to use the Loops-with-Style PAKs in your songs?

Check out our latest video, where we explain installing Loops-with-Style PAKs, locating the content within the proram, and how to use them in either in Band-in-a-Box® or in other DAWs - Watch the video...

Learn about the Styles included, applying the Loops, how the Loops will work with your song settings, using these Loops in other DAWs, and more!

Note: this video was made using the Windows version, however the steps are the same for Mac.

Share Your Love for Band-in-a-Box®!

Want everyone to know how much you enjoy Band-in-a-Box? Submit a Video Testimonial today, and when we share it on our website and YouTube channel, we'll send you a FREE Band-in-a-Box® UltraPAK hard drive!

Check out some of the great Video Testimonials we've already received here.

For more information on this offer, click here.

Band-in-a-Box® 2020 German for Mac is Here!

Es gibt über 50 neue Funktionen in Band-in-a-Box® 2020! Es gibt Verbesserungen der RealTracks (weicher klingende Vokal RealTracks, RealTracks Verdickung, "Find-a-Sub" RealTracks und MultiRiffs). Die meisten RealDrums haben jetzt RealCharts (mit genauer Drum-Notation). Es gibt einen neuen RealTracks-Künstler-Browser, um Infos/Bios/Links/Listen von RealTracks zu allen Künstlern zu finden. Ein neuer Feature-Browser ermöglicht es dem neuen oder "vergesslichen" Benutzer, die meisten Features/Hotkeys/Dokumente von einem einzigen Fenster aus leicht zu finden und zu benutzen. Die Funktion Tempoausgleich ermöglicht es, einen aufgenommenen Rubato-Song in ein festes Tempo zu ändern. Verbesserte Audio-Zeit/Tonhöhen-Dehnung (Elastique) enthalten. Es gibt SongPicker-Verbesserungen, Auto-Intros für Bass/Drums oder nur Drums, 3.400 zusätzliche Titel, MusicXML-Verbesserungen, "Linkshänder"- und "Studentensicht"-Gitarre, Ziehen & Ablegen -Verbesserungen, Audio-Akkord-Wizard mit mehreren Fenstern und mehr!

KAUF/UPGRADE, & DOWNLOAD JETZT!

Forum Stats
32858 Members
68 Forums
66171 Topics
561924 Posts

Max Online: 2537 @ 01/19/20 07:09 AM
Newest Members
Dale Hamm, MikeHannigan, chemistsworld, Durgaprasad, deirdreflint

32858 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
eddie1261 168