You need to be logged in to post
Options
Index
#220288 - 11/06/13 06:21 PM [User Showcase] One for Alyn: DREAMSVILLE
aleck rand Offline
Expert

My British mate Alyn asked about how one goes about making a tune like THE MOONTRANE. I promised to post something about this, alerting him by using his name in the post.

Alyn, I realized too late that BIAB cannot handle a tune like MOONTRANE and, except for RealTracks percussion, it wasn't used at all! The sound you just heard was me slapping my forehead.

In this case, BIAB's unique strength - entering chord symbols as input - turns out to be an essential weakness. The only fake book version of MOONTRANE that I know of has incorrect chord changes. No surprise there. And even capable musicians blunder around on this one. Case in point: Listen to 0:41-0:46 of this performance of MOONTRANE on YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cnGPJRXOyjQ&feature=related

Ouch!

So what do you do when you don't have the chords to enter into BIAB? Well, you go back to the original recording and try to "hear" the changes directly off the record. That may or may not be easy. With MOONTRANE, not.

So I decided to post a tune that I suspect you'll like - I think it's Henry Mancini's most gorgeous creation - and send the technical details of how to "trick" BIAB into producing the voicings you want to the Tips and Tricks Forum.

I hope all Forum members enjoy DREAMSVILLE https://soundcloud.com/aleckrand/dreamsville

Dean Clark (aka Aleck Rand)
Sweetwater Creation Station. BIAB 2018, Mixcraft 8 Pro Studio, Izotope Nektar 2, Ozone 8, KEYBOARDS: Kurzweil Artis 7, Crumar MOJO, Hammond XK-3, BASSES (fretted & fretless by Ibanez, LTD, Warwick. GUITARS by Guild, Gretsch, Ibanez, Eastwood (12 string)

#220315 - 11/06/13 09:11 PM [User Showcase] Re: One for Alyn: DREAMSVILLE [Re: aleck rand]
Loc: Florida
floyd jane Offline
Veteran

Loc: Florida
Aleck(Dean),

This is stunningly beautiful. My favorite of anything you've ever presented here. Both the bass and guitar playing exude emotion. When I first saw it, I thought ooohh that's kind of long... then I enjoyed every second of it.

Cool. Jazzy. A pleasure.

floyd

#220323 - 11/06/13 10:31 PM [User Showcase] Re: One for Alyn: DREAMSVILLE [Re: aleck rand]
Loc: Florida, USA
cubanpete Offline
Expert

Loc: Florida, USA
Wow!

#220324 - 11/06/13 11:02 PM [User Showcase] Re: One for Alyn: DREAMSVILLE [Re: aleck rand]
Loc: Sacramento, California
dcuny Offline
Veteran

Loc: Sacramento, California
Nice!

I'd actually picked JABB with the hopes that I'd be able to coax some cool Mancini sounds from that library, but no such luck. frown But I hope someday to get a bit closer to that magic sound.

Anyway, very cool.

Vocal control, you say. Never heard of it. Is that some kind of ProTools thing?

#220350 - 11/07/13 07:49 AM [User Showcase] Re: One for Alyn: DREAMSVILLE [Re: aleck rand]
Guitarhacker Offline
Veteran

I enjoyed that mellow musical excursion into jazz.

Add nothing that adds nothing to the music.

As the sword chooses the warrior, so too, the song chooses the writer.

#220352 - 11/07/13 07:54 AM [User Showcase] Re: One for Alyn: DREAMSVILLE [Re: aleck rand]
Loc: wales
gibson Offline
Veteran

Dean (Aleck)

WOW that's beautiful.
I just sat at the ending and stared at the screen, silence was the only way to fully appreciate that. And then I almost expected the tumultuous applause to start laugh

Thank you

Alyn

My story

#220356 - 11/07/13 09:22 AM [User Showcase] Re: One for Alyn: DREAMSVILLE [Re: aleck rand]
Loc: New York
rsdean Offline
Veteran

Loc: New York
This is excellent all around!

Bob

#220361 - 11/07/13 10:20 AM [User Showcase] Re: One for Alyn: DREAMSVILLE [Re: aleck rand]
Loc: Karlsruhe, Germany
boehm Offline
Veteran

Loc: Karlsruhe, Germany
Hi Dean,

very, very beautiful.

Guenter

#220452 - 11/08/13 06:50 AM [User Showcase] Re: One for Alyn: DREAMSVILLE [Re: aleck rand]
Loc: Helsinki, Finland
dani48 Offline
Veteran

Hi, Dean !

That bass goes right thru my head
from ear to ear ! wow !!:))
I can hear that everything is
okay again !:))

Cheers
Dani

#220493 - 11/08/13 04:24 PM [User Showcase] Re: One for Alyn: DREAMSVILLE [Re: floyd jane]
aleck rand Offline
Expert

I agree with you Floyd. It's my favorite too. And thank you for listening and commenting so favorably.

Dean

#220495 - 11/08/13 04:31 PM [User Showcase] Re: One for Alyn: DREAMSVILLE [Re: gibson]
aleck rand Offline
Expert

Hi Alyn,

I'm so glad you liked DREAMSVILLE. Of course, the stunning complements make my day. Sometime you'll have to explain why they call it the M4 Boogaloo. I know what the M4 is, but what about the Boogaloo part?

Dean

#220580 - 11/09/13 04:22 PM [User Showcase] Re: One for Alyn: DREAMSVILLE [Re: dani48]
aleck rand Offline
Expert

Hi Dani,

I wonder if this name rings a bell: Phineas Gage. He was, I believe, a railroad worker on the job when an explosive charge caused a piece of iron pipe to strike his jaw, enter his brain and emerge from the other side of his skull. And there it remained as doctors studied him intensively. At first, Gage appeared to have suffered no ill effects, but eventually (the pipe had damaged his frontal lobes) he begin acting erratically, making bad decisions, etc.

Now, you might wonder why I am telling you this story. Well, it's this quote of yours:
Originally Posted By: dani48
That bass goes right thru my head
from ear to ear ! wow !!:))

I'm just glad that you mean that figuratively, my friend. Otherwise, it would be an amazing new take on the story of Phineas Gage. I can see the headlines now:

................MAN SURVIVES FRETLESS BASS THROUGH SKULL
............,,,,...........Doctors marvel. Only effect appears to be .............................................................................,,,,,,,,,....''''''.................
...........................''........[
a deepening of the voice by several octaves

And, of course, thank you so much for the generous compliments.

Dean

#220582 - 11/09/13 04:35 PM [User Showcase] Re: One for Alyn: DREAMSVILLE [Re: aleck rand]
dani48 Offline
Veteran

Hi, Dean !

Please, help me ! I have laughed
so that my belly turns inside out .......:))
I can imagine the guy with the bass
through his ears................huh....
and the only consequence is a deepening
of the voice by several octaves......:)))
I think we have accidentally invented the real
treatment for guys who want to go deeper ?:))

Cheers
Daniel

Edited by dani48 (11/10/13 06:16 AM)

#220583 - 11/09/13 04:49 PM [User Showcase] Re: One for Alyn: DREAMSVILLE [Re: cubanpete]
aleck rand Offline
Expert

Pete,

That one word comment makes my day. Thanks pal.

Dean (Aleck)

#220614 - 11/10/13 04:42 AM [User Showcase] Re: One for Alyn: DREAMSVILLE [Re: aleck rand]
gibson Offline
Veteran

Dean,
I wrote a poem in 1985/6 which eventually became a song about my move from London to South Wales.
At that time I was listening to "non mainstream" songs, on cassettes in the car, from the 1930's to 1960's as I drove to work each day and I can only assume I picked up that word from those songs.
In my mind it described perfectly my manic way of driving blush up the M4 motorway as I drove to see my parents! Hence "I got the M4 Boogaloo".

Other than that I have no idea!

Alyn

My story

#220711 - 11/10/13 05:11 PM [User Showcase] Re: One for Alyn: DREAMSVILLE [Re: dani48]
aleck rand Offline
Expert

Dani my pal!

I just knew I would get you with that headline ...

Dean

PG Music News
RealBand® Works Great in Windows® 11!

Here's an introductory look at RealBand® running on the preview version of Windows® 11!

Watch the video.

Customers LOVE Band-in-a-Box® 2021!

Check out some of the latest Band-in-a-Box® feedback we've received:

"There's a saying 'Give a man a fish, feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish, feed him for a lifetime.' That's exactly what my friend did in 1990. He taught me how to use BIAB and I've used it hundreds of time to do arraignment and to jam with any style band."

"Love BIAB. I use it daily. Their support is great too!"

"RealTracks are amazing!!! I use BIAB for backtracks in my solo act... Still using the basic package and it's all need..."

"I have used Band in A Box for many years. If it would have been around when I was young, I would have been a much better musician. I use it for all my songs I have written and recorded. With Band In A Box I can sit in my room and sound like a whole band without having to put up with them!"

"If you know something about music and take the time to learn the program, you can make it do some amazing things. It is a great help to songwriters who want to demo their song without paying for studio time. It makes changes and tweaks much easier as well."

"Been using it for so many years. It's a great tool. The instruments that I don't have or play make up the void and it saves so much time. I use this program for every song I write."

"Great tool for the songwriter!"

"An essential part of my studio! I write songs on piano, but I'm not a pianist by a long way. BIAB is like having a roomful of session players in your studio, and just the simple act of taking your basic idea and hearing a skilled pianist play it presents so many new ideas and options you hadn't thought of."

"Powerful, easy to use, inexpensive and they even split the modest payments up if you want. No complaints. Lots of satisfaction."

"I added a steel guitar to a fully produced original. He followed every change like he was in the studio reading the chart. Fascinating technology!"

"I have used it to make backing tracks for six CD's with about 12 songs on each. They make a great gift!"

"It's simply a necessity - buy it now - the staff and support do a great job as well!"

"A great tool for us songwriters!"

"I LOVE Band-in-a-Box!"

"I see it as a very worthwhile investment. In fact, from initial purchase about 8 years ago, using the backing tracks I have made, my income from that investment has returned over 5,000% on the investment!"

continued...

Do you have something to say about Band-in-a-Box®? Post your own thoughts for Windows or Mac version today!

Band-in-a-Box® - Boxing Clever - Sound on Sound #TBT

Did you know that Band-in-a-Box® is more than 30 years old? I stumbled across this 1990 magazine article explaining the relatively new program, and think it's an enjoyable read for any Band-in-a-Box user - it really shows that we are always listening to user feedback when developing our program!

Read the article: Boxing Clever: Band-In-A-Box Software

A few of my favorite statements:

"The intention of PG Music's Band-In-A-Box package is to couple that speed and convenience with the improved flexibility of the personal computer. Versions are available for the Atari ST, Mac, and PC compatibles. Have the programmers succeeded? And can they rid themselves of the stigma of the auto-accompaniment section? Given the above state of affairs, the first hurdle that the program has to overcome is one of acceptance and, frankly, a name like 'Band-In-A-Box' is a bad start."

(I think our name was a great start!)

"The final results are, to say the least, impressive. Band-In-A-Box achieves something that most hardwired auto-accompaniment sections have never been able to do - inject a degree of feel into the music. It really does sound more human than so many of the computer generated pieces I've heard."

"...I'm quite convinced that PG Music will have a winner on their hands. This is one piece of software that you can get more out of than you put in."

#TipTuesday Convert RealDrums to MIDI!

Did you know that you can convert RealDrums to MIDI?

VintageGibson shared this tip to our Tips & Tricks forum, which is a great place to look for program tips from other Band-in-a-Box users!

Read this handy trick.

Have a program tip or trick of your own? Share it on our Tips & Tricks forum today!

Band-in-a-Box® 2021 Italian for Mac is Here!

Abbiamo lavorato tanto e abbiamo aggiunto 80 nuove funzionalità e una straordinaria collezione di nuovi contenuti, tra cui 202 RealTracks, nuovi RealStyles, SuperTracks MIDI, Studi Strumentali, Performance degli Artisti, Bonus RealDrums "Singoli", trascrizioni RealDrums, MultiStyles PAK 1, Xtra Styles PAKs 10 e 11, e altro ancora!

Pacchetti | Nuove Caratteristiche

Export / Print a List of Selected Styles (Band-in-a-Box®)

Did you know that you can export a list of your Styles from Band-in-a-Box®?

Head to this forum post in our "Tips & Tricks" forum, where VideoTrack shares another handy tip for Band-in-a-Box® users!

Band-in-a-Box® Chord List Resource

Ever wonder which chords are supported in Band-in-a-Box®? Access the information from the Help file in the program, or read through the list with our Online Manual!

Chord List - Mac Online Manual
Chord List - Windows Online Manual

Review the other Reference topcs while you're there - with explanations of the different menus and the Keystroke Commands (Hot Keys), you'll definitely learn something new!

Forum Stats
34902 Members
66 Forums
70913 Topics
614304 Posts

Max Online: 2537 @ 01/19/20 07:09 AM
Newest Members
MuchHustle, Fiddlecat, cebodorr1, emeraldopia, jojo34

34902 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
swingbabymix 218
VideoTrack 214