You need to be logged in to post
Options
Index
#220779 - 11/11/13 08:53 AM [User Showcase] Something To Die For (Thanks to the Veterans)
Guitarhacker Offline
Veteran

Something to Die For .................written in 2009 by Herb Hartley & Patricia Bishop

for the veterans who gave some or all for our freedoms. I salute you.

http://soundclick.com/share.cfm?id=7870761

Thanks

Edited by Guitarhacker (11/11/13 08:54 AM)

Add nothing that adds nothing to the music

#220784 - 11/11/13 09:26 AM [User Showcase] Re: Something To Die For (Thanks to the Veterans) [Re: Guitarhacker]
Loc: Woodstock, NY
rsdean Offline
Veteran

Loc: Woodstock, NY
Herb,

Great job - very good song and story. Thanks for posting.

Bob

#220799 - 11/11/13 11:28 AM [User Showcase] Re: Something To Die For (Thanks to the Veterans) [Re: Guitarhacker]
Loc: Edmonton, Ab, Canada
Scott C Offline
Veteran

Loc: Edmonton, Ab, Canada
Perfect for today

#220802 - 11/11/13 11:40 AM [User Showcase] Re: Something To Die For (Thanks to the Veterans) [Re: Guitarhacker]
Loc: Karlsruhe, Germany
boehm Offline
Veteran

Loc: Karlsruhe, Germany
Hi Herb,

good story and good song.
You played the steel, didn't you?

Guenter

#220810 - 11/11/13 12:34 PM [User Showcase] Re: Something To Die For (Thanks to the Veterans) [Re: Guitarhacker]
Guitarhacker Offline
Veteran

Thanks.....

I'd have to look back at the project file to see what I'm playing exactly, but I'm 100% sure it wasn't the steel.... most likely only the acoustic guitar and vocals.

I know the steel, bass, drums, and dobro are real band tracks.

#220822 - 11/11/13 02:30 PM [User Showcase] Re: Something To Die For (Thanks to the Veterans) [Re: Guitarhacker]
Loc: Helsinki, Finland
dani48 Offline
Veteran

Loc: Helsinki, Finland
Well, Herb !

I can connect with all
your sentiments and values
although I am a city boy !
Very nice song, professionally
produced !:))

Cheers
Dani

#220829 - 11/11/13 04:06 PM [User Showcase] Re: Something To Die For (Thanks to the Veterans) [Re: Guitarhacker]
Loc: Florida
floyd jane Offline
Veteran

Herb,

A good write. A lot of nice chunks of imagery. A very positive message.
Up until the point that you killed him off. That's unfortunate. It was being so positive - and could have continued being. Just an opinion, of course.

floyd

#220834 - 11/11/13 04:48 PM [User Showcase] Re: Something To Die For (Thanks to the Veterans) [Re: Guitarhacker]
Loc: Mississippi Gulf Coast
Danny C. Offline
Veteran

Loc: Mississippi Gulf Coast
Salute!

The More You Drink The Better I Sound

#220843 - 11/11/13 05:25 PM [User Showcase] Re: Something To Die For (Thanks to the Veterans) [Re: Guitarhacker]
tommyad Offline
Veteran

Herb, Perfect song for today and a great way to give thanks to all those in uniform that serve our country. Thanks to them and to you. Tom

#220846 - 11/11/13 05:49 PM [User Showcase] Re: Something To Die For (Thanks to the Veterans) [Re: Guitarhacker]
Loc: Sacramento, California
dcuny Offline
Veteran

Loc: Sacramento, California
Hi, Herb.

Well written and produced - the craft in how the story built comes through.

But... For me, the death seemed disconnected from the dreams that were "to die for", which was a bit jarring. Despite the final chorus, it felt like a senseless death in the desert, not someone fighting for dreams.

Maybe that's the nature of the beast - it's a tough write, and you're done a nice job of it.

Vocal control, you say. Never heard of it. Is that some kind of ProTools thing?

#220877 - 11/11/13 11:24 PM [User Showcase] Re: Something To Die For (Thanks to the Veterans) [Re: Guitarhacker]
Sundance Offline
Veteran

Herb,

Such a bittersweet song. Sudden death is unfortunately the sad reality of too many of our brave young men/women fighting for those dreams.

Nice song in honor of our vets. Good production too.

#220905 - 11/12/13 04:03 AM [User Showcase] Re: Something To Die For (Thanks to the Veterans) [Re: Guitarhacker]
Loc: South Africa
JoanneCooper Offline
Veteran

Loc: South Africa
Great production and vocal Herb

#220925 - 11/12/13 08:59 AM [User Showcase] Re: Something To Die For (Thanks to the Veterans) [Re: Guitarhacker]
Guitarhacker Offline
Veteran

A little behind the scenes on the writing of this.

Yeah... we really did go round and round debating that whole "kill him off" in the end thing.... It wasn't an easy decision to make.

You may have heard me talk about bridges in songs in other discussions here..... stating that they need to add some new perspective or viewpoint to the song....or they are essentially useless.

This song is a perfect example of what a bridge in a song is for....what it's supposed to do. Up to the point where the bridge starts, the song has you thinking one way...with the major chords in the music and the imagery in the lyrics of the good old days...life is good.... everything has happy endings....

Then comes the minor chords and the plot twist in the bridge.... it now puts the entire song in a slightly different perspective. Until the last line, you're not exactly sure he died, although you suspect it. And then the last line does confirm it. It switched the song from light to a bit darker with just a few words.

While we did debate that in the writing.... we went back and forth at least 8 times on this lyric, we decided to show that war is hell and people die for the things they believe in.... so the title/hook went from the cultural expression which is used lightly.... that dress is.... "to die for" to the beliefs and people we love are "something to die for"....

Much of the lyric ideas did come from my past.... Pat contributed some of the better lines in the song as well.... The one that stands out is "memories made forever, of one more day together" .. yeah that was Pat's line.

Anyway... thanks to all who listened to this song....

#220935 - 11/12/13 10:07 AM [User Showcase] Re: Something To Die For (Thanks to the Veterans) [Re: Guitarhacker]
Loc: GA USA
Janice & Bud Offline
Veteran

Loc: GA USA
Nice reminder that Nov 11 is not just a holiday. If not for these sacrifices we wouldn't be on this great forum today.

Edited by Janice & Bud (11/12/13 10:08 AM)

Check out our BiaB SoundCloud songs!
J&B YouTube Sampler
J&B Website
Our album "All Over The Map" is on Apple Music, Spotify and others.

#221479 - 11/16/13 04:52 PM [User Showcase] Re: Something To Die For (Thanks to the Veterans) [Re: Guitarhacker]
gruverider Offline
Expert

I don't get to log in and listen as often as I'd like but I'm glad I looked back at page two and found this one!

Much enjoyed...

#221629 - 11/18/13 03:23 PM [User Showcase] Re: Something To Die For (Thanks to the Veterans) [Re: Guitarhacker]
Loc: Maryland
SpaceDog Offline
Expert

Loc: Maryland
Herb,
Thanks for writing and posting such a wonderful song and tribute to our vets. As are several folks on the forum, I'm served my time in uniform. It warms my heart to hear people express their patriotism.
I wrote a song on Veteran's Day this year but don't have it done yet. I post it as soon as I'm able.
Anyway, Thanks for sharing such a well written and performed song.
Sincerely,
SD

#221715 - 11/19/13 10:35 AM [User Showcase] Re: Something To Die For (Thanks to the Veterans) [Re: Guitarhacker]
Guitarhacker Offline
Veteran

Thanks....

PG Music News
Notation Enhancements in Band-in-a-Box® 2019

Band-in-a-Box® 2019 for Windows was released in December 2018, and included many new features and enhancements - like the enhancements we made to our Notation window!

These include:
-Pressing the space bar plays the song from the current location.
-Double-clicking on the Standard mode Notation window (or on the time line in Editable or Staff Roll mode) plays the song from the current time location.
-The right-click menu in the Editable or Staff Roll mode Notation window has an option to change the current beat resolution. Previously, the only way to do this was to right-click on the time line.
-Clicking close to a stave line will put a note on the stave line instead of between stave lines. Previously, you had to click extremely close to a stave line to insert a note on it.
-In the Notation Windows Options dialog, the clefs split point asterisk indicates that C5* is middle C.
-The clefs split point can be set by the spin controls.
-You can quickly enter forced accidentals from the right-click menu.
-A new track type (Drums) is available for the Melody and Soloist tracks.
-Holding down the Ctrl key and pressing the zoom in/out buttons results in finest possible incremental adjustment in size.
-There's a keystroke entry mode -the "N" mode, which lets you enter a melody entirely using keystrokes. The keystrokes are N to enter a note, up/down cursor to change its pitch, and left/right cursor to move the time line.
-A new button in the Print Options dialog lets you quickly print a "chords only" fake sheet. You can also access this from the right-click menu on the Chord Sheet.
-You can now edit any track in the Event List Editor. When the dialog opens, it will show you the MIDI data in the current notation track.

There's detailed information on our 2019 notation enhancements here: Band-in-a-Box® 2019 New Feature - Notation Enhancements

Jump to the Notation topic in our Band-in-a-Box® 2019 new features video.

Band-in-a-Box® Drum Features!

Today is National Drummer Day!
(not to be confused with National Hug a Drummer Day, which is October 10th)

Band-in-a-Box® is a great resource for drummers! Practice with an on-demand back-up band, learn from the Pro's with RealDrums notation (RealCharts, new with version 2019), MIDI drums notation, or play in the Drum Kit Window!

Not a drummer? Add drums to your Band-in-a-Box® project with RealDrums! Whether you're looking for Bluegrass, Blues, Bossa, Country, Dance, Dixieland, Folk, Funk, HipHop, Jazz, Latin, Metal, Pop, RnB, Rock, Soul, Techno, Traditional, Waltz, or World (and variations within) - you'll definitely find what you're looking for in our RealDrums library - there are over 500 available!

Band-in-a-Box® 2019 for Mac Build 315 Update Available!

Attention Band-in-a-Box® 2019 for Mac users - a new FREE patch update (build 315) is available!
Review details and download here

Summary of changes for build 315 (Nov 15, 2019):

Fixed: Exporting MusicXML files was not working.
Fixed: When using "Auto-Hand split Piano track" feature, exported MIDI files contain wrong note durations on the Piano track.
Fixed: Note-based lyrics were not included when exporting MIDI files.
Fixed: User should be prompted to save their song when exiting, if they had added or removed plugins.
Fixed: The Record Audio dialog always says “Track type is Stereo” even if the track type is mono.
Fixed: The [Audio Options…] button in the Record Audio dialog was launching the Audio Devices dialog instead of the Audio Settings dialog.
Fixed: Loops dialog title bar displays wrong track name.
Fixed: Large patch map files are not completely loaded (were limited to 1985 patches).
Fixed: Notation context menu > Edit Section Text… did not do anything.
Fixed: Notation context menu > Insert Section Text… did not do anything.

My Favorite Things - Nudge Chords in Band-in-a-Box®

Love this time saving feature.

Ever fill in the chordsheet fully or for part of song, and then discover you want to add or take away an extra beat or more somewhere in the chordsheet.

Nudge chords (melody) from the Edit Menu is your friend here, the dialog will give you all the options either to remove or add beats where its needed.

Love it.
-musiclover

To learn more about this feature, read the "Advanced Chord Entry and Editing Features" topic when you click here.

Band-in-a-Box® Video Testimonial & Demo - Rodney Gene Junior

Band-in-a-Box® endorsing artist Rodney Gene Junior has shared his latest User Testimonial and Demo with us, and we LOVE it! Not only does Rodney share with the viewer his enthusiasm for our program, he also shares a few examples of how he uses Band-in-a-Box® too - make sure you check it out!

Band-in-a-Box® 2019 Testimonial Video - Peter Torpey

Check out our latest Band-in-a-Box video testimonial, which takes using the program to a whole new level! Peter Torpey is a long time program user who has developed a way to work with the program, even though he's visually impaired - and he wants to make sure that others can too!
Click here to watch!

Learn more about Peter here.

View all our video testimonials here.

Want to make your own Testimonial? We'd love to see it! There's information on our Video Testimonials offer here.

Band-in-a-Box® 2019 for Mac Upgrade & Full Manuals Available!
Forum Stats
30429 Members
62 Forums
60684 Topics
513484 Posts

Max Online: 2434 @ 11/14/17 12:37 AM
Newest Members
YamahaTyros1, BReed, Lorenzo Uke, JediMercer, Ignacio_Jazz

30429 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
VideoTrack 196
Noel96 175