Next Thread
Print Thread
Go To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Very cool, Aleck. Later, Ray

Asus Q500A i7 Win 10 64 bit 8GB ram 750 HD 15.5" touch screen, BIAB 2017, Casio PX 5s, Xw P1, Center Point Stereo SS V3 and EWI 4000s.
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Aleck, Great B3 solo that you played, also your usual stellar guitar work. I am currently reading a book by Peter Erskine of Weather Report and he talks a lot about Elvin

Jones, so I struggled a little to hear the drums. i know how you feel about going back to fix the mix . I am the same way. I like to keep moving on to the next one. Great

Job I enjoyed it. Tom

tommyad #221973 11/21/13 09:59 AM
User Showcase
Expert
OP Offline
Expert
Hey Tommy,

Thanks so much for your kind words. Yeh, the drums should have been louder, but evidently we see eye-to-eye on the endless mix process. After bustin' my chops on this difficult tune (trying to hear the changes off Larry Young's original recording - not easy), trying a thousand times to get that B3 solo nailed, etc. There's only so much energy left. And then you gotta mix and mix? Oh, man ...

Thanks again pal

Dean

raymb1 #221976 11/21/13 10:01 AM
User Showcase
Expert
OP Offline
Expert
Hey Ray,

I've noticed you're a man of few words, but every one counts. Getting two complements from you on one tune ... now that really means something to me.

Thanks, man

Dean

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Hi Aleck ;-{)
Just dropped by to see if I could get the hang of this Jazz Thing. Nah!Too many notes in each bar - lol!!
That B3 solo was awesome and what a great sound too. I guess the solo guitar break is you also?
I have to admit it - yes, I did enjoy this. A bit. OK, OK, quite a bit. OK, OK,OK - a LOT!!!! Will that do?
I know what you mean by endless remixing. I can hear stuff of mine from before and think "Shall I, Shall,nt I?" but I have to move on or I'd never get anything new done.
Excellent sound file even if the drummer is playing in another room! lol!!(joke)
cheers
Ian

Old Guys Rule.The older I get,the better I was!
BB2023 ULTRA, 1013, Win 7 and 10

ALL TRACKS - https://app.box.com/s/501rnzrbadng1elvi45hbf7y08kl5oxp
SOUNDCLOUD-tracks using BB-
http://soundcloud.com/sixchannel
Videos-
https://youtube.com/user/Sixchannel1
SpaceDog #222139 11/22/13 05:49 PM
User Showcase
Expert
OP Offline
Expert
Hi Spacedog and Videotrack,

You have my profound thanks fellas - and I regret being so late to respond. I never thought this tune would fly on the Forum. No way. But, unlike my other "boat anchors," this one didn't sink out of sight in a day. It's still hangin' round!
Amazing.

Thanks again

Dean Clark (aka Aleck Rand)

User Showcase
Expert
OP Offline
Expert
Hi Ian,

Well, well, well. I may be winning over a few converts. I got a big kick out of your favorable review, and appreciate it very much.

Dean

User Showcase
K
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
K
Aleck,

I would have thought that now that we have Mike LeDonne tracks in BIAB, nobody would every post themselves playing the B3. I'm glad that I was wrong, because you absolutely killed it! The entire track was awesome. There is nothing better in the world than guitar and B3 together (maybe peanut butter and chocolate?) and the horn head made for a swing-gasm when the organ trio kicked in.

I loved every minute of it. Great sound.

Ken

Learning To Play Jazz Piano After Age 50+
http://kenblog05.blogspot.com
kenbiab #222171 11/23/13 06:22 AM
User Showcase
Expert
OP Offline
Expert
Hey Ken,

Your comments make my day and I'm also glad that you brought up Mike and the B3 RealTracks. I have used them successfully, for example, in https://soundcloud.com/aleckrand/close-your-eyes and https://soundcloud.com/aleckrand/sonny. You may want to check these out to hear Mike's comping and soloing. He's the real deal alright.

But when I tried the B3 RealTracks in MOONTRANE the results were - how to describe it - let's say: incoherent, at best. The changes come too quickly and have few of the orthodox transitions.

The moral: BIAB/RealBand is an amazing feat of imagination and computer science prowess. But, at this stage, it isn't Deep Blue or whatever succeeded IBM's chess-playing program. It wouldn't survive the Turing Test, although it might hang on for a while with simple tunes. But MOONTRANE would defeat it. Who knows about the future?

But, in a more important sense, BIAB/RealBand is much better than Deep Blue, which relies only on refrigerator-sized CPUs and brute combinatorial force.

Instead, BIAB/RB is a kind of symbiotic weld of musician to machine. The better you are, the better BIAB does. And the better BIAB does - with voicings and sounds that you might not think of - the better you do. You learn from it. Of course, there are programs in other fields for which the same thing holds. But I can't think of anything else remotely like it in music.

Thanks again for your compliments.

User Showcase
K
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
K
Originally Posted By: aleck rand

The moral: BIAB/RealBand is an amazing feat of imagination and computer science prowess. But, at this stage, it isn't Deep Blue or whatever succeeded IBM's chess-playing program. It wouldn't survive the Turing Test, although it might hang on for a while with simple tunes. But MOONTRANE would defeat it. Who knows about the future?

I know what you mean. For me it fails the Turing test when I want the solo to cleave close to the melody, or come back and quote a little piece of the melody. Since it can't really do that, I'm sometimes forced to pull out a guitar and do those parts myself.

But I could swear that on some songs, like Steve Nelson on vibes soloing to All The Things You Are, that the chords are so recognizable they assume that is the song and just generate the solo with that assumption. That one definitely passes the Turing test IMO.

Ken

Learning To Play Jazz Piano After Age 50+
http://kenblog05.blogspot.com
kenbiab #222448 11/24/13 07:35 PM
User Showcase
Expert
OP Offline
Expert
Ken,

You're the first one I ever heard mention Mike LeDonne or Steve Nelson. As you know, Mike is one of the B3 monsters of the day (along with Joey, Dr. Lonnie, and a few others), and Steve and Joe Locke come in a photo finish as best vibes player. Your comments on BIAB/RB and the Turing Test now prompt me to marvel at how PG Music was able to corral these and other powerhouse players to create the RealTracks.

Yeh, you're right about the TT. BIAB/RB could hang around for quite a while - you're example of All The Things You Are - before someone asks the question that brings forth the response, "Ah, yes, now we know which one is the computer."

But, I suspect that before too long, something like BIAB/RB will be able to handle tunes like we've mentioned and hang around still longer ... and longer ...

Scary, man.

Dean

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: aleck rand

.....The better you are, the better BIAB does. And the better BIAB does, the better you do.....

Ya know, Dean, that would make a great strapline statement for PG Music. smile
cheers
Ian

Old Guys Rule.The older I get,the better I was!
BB2023 ULTRA, 1013, Win 7 and 10

ALL TRACKS - https://app.box.com/s/501rnzrbadng1elvi45hbf7y08kl5oxp
SOUNDCLOUD-tracks using BB-
http://soundcloud.com/sixchannel
Videos-
https://youtube.com/user/Sixchannel1
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Band-in-a-Box® 2024 Review: 4.75 out of 5 Stars!

If you're looking for a in-depth review of the newest Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows version, you'll definitely find it with Sound-Guy's latest review, Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows Review: Incredible new capabilities to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs.

A few excerpts:
"The Tracks view is possibly the single most powerful addition in 2024 and opens up a new way to edit and generate accompaniments. Combined with the new MultiPicker Library Window, it makes BIAB nearly perfect as an 'intelligent' composer/arranger program."

"MIDI SuperTracks partial generation showing six variations – each time the section is generated it can be instantly auditioned, re-generated or backed out to a previous generation – and you can do this with any track type. This is MAJOR! This takes musical experimentation and honing an arrangement to a new level, and faster than ever."

"Band in a Box continues to be an expansive musical tool-set for both novice and experienced musicians to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs, as well as an extensive educational resource. It is huge, with hundreds of functions, more than any one person is likely to ever use. Yet, so is any DAW that I have used. BIAB can do some things that no DAW does, and this year BIAB has more DAW-like functions than ever."

Happy Easter! Holiday Hours...

2024 is well underway - it's already Easter Weekend!

Our Customer Service hours this weekend are:

Friday, March 29: 8-4
Saturday, March 30: 8-4
Sunday, March 31: closed

Regular hours resume Monday, April 1st - no joke!

Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Video: Volume Automation in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created a video to help you learn more about the Volume Automation options in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows.

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Volume Automation

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#volume-automation

Video: Audio Input Monitoring with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created this short video to explain Audio Input Monitoring within Band-in-a-Box® 2024, and included some tips & troubleshooting details too!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Audio Input Monitoring

3:17: Tips
5:10: Troubleshooting

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#audio-input-monitoring

Video: Enhanced Melodists in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®!

We've enhanced the Melodists feature included in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows!

Access the Melodist feature by pressing F7 in the program to open the new MultiPicker Library and locate the [Melodist] tab.

You can now generate a melody on any track in the program - very handy! Plus, you select how much of the melody you want generated - specify a range, or apply it to the whole track.

See the Melodist in action with our video, Band-in-a-Box® 2024: The Melodist Window.

Learn even more about the enhancements to the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024upgrade/chapter3.htm#enhanced-melodist

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,401
Posts732,562
Members38,444
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
Descoward, danielsk, Mark Morgan, zagrajbarke, Ernest J
38,443 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 200