Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
You need to be logged in to post
Options
Index
#222066 - 11/22/13 08:59 AM [User Showcase] Written - (w/ Janice Merritt)
Loc: Florida
floyd jane Offline
Veteran

Make your way across the sawdust floor. Grab a bar stool. Order a beer.
You'll need it to cry in....

A bit ago, Tom posted a "cry in your beer song". Some of us love 'em.
It reminded me about a song I "had in the drawer" from quite some time ago.
There were a few things about it that I didn't like, so I had tossed it aside.
I pulled it out and did a little rewrite...

Then I asked Janice if she would join me on it.
Thankfully, she agreed... it was exactly what it needed.

A Great Big THANK YOU to Janice Merritt for singing with me on this!!!
(and one to Bud for sitting behind the console. And for helping me understand the dynamics of a recorded acoustic bass.
It was essential to getting the mix to work).

Hope you enjoy it. Comments encouraged...

WRITTEN

i'm all messed up
my world's been shattered
when you found a new life
mine was torn in two
i can't use a heart
so broken and battered
so you keep the pieces
they all still belong to you

(chorus)
your name is written
on my very soul
marked so deeply
and it may never let go
there's a picture of you
on the tiniest part
your name is written
on every piece of my broken heart

repeat chorus

your name is written
on every piece of my broken heart

Here are the RealTracks:
RealTracks in song: ~1121:Bass, Acoustic, CountryWaltz Sw 085
RealTracks in song: ~1126:Pedal Steel, Rhythm CountryWaltz Sw 085
RealTracks in song: ~2053:Guitar, Acoustic, Fingerpicking CountryWaltzBrent Sw 085
RealTracks in song: ~822:Guitar, Acoustic, Fingerpicking Country Waltz Sw 085
RealTracks in song: 1883:Piano, Acoustic, Soloist Country12-8John Sw 065
RealDrums in style: NashClassicWaltzSw^1-a:SideStick, HiHat , b:Snare, HiHat

Have at it.

floyd

#222152 - 11/23/13 03:23 AM [User Showcase] Re: Written - (w/ Janice Merritt) [Re: floyd jane]
Loc: South Africa
JoanneCooper Offline
Veteran

Loc: South Africa
Great work as usual Floyd and Janice. The vocals are superb. The simplicity of the lyrics is a wonderful lesson in song writing. Well done!

Edited by JosieC (11/23/13 03:24 AM)

#222165 - 11/23/13 06:41 AM [User Showcase] Re: Written - (w/ Janice Merritt) [Re: floyd jane]
Loc: Australia
Noel96 Offline
Veteran

Loc: Australia
Hey floyd,

In all honesty, I don't think music gets any better than what you, Janice and Bud have put together here. This is beautiful; a sensitive and emotion-packed journey through the turmoil of heartbreak. Your composition is outstanding and Janice's and your performances sparkle with sincerity. I'm not fully sure what Bud has done but the mix makes the song shine brilliantly!

The last two phrases of the chorus are incredibly powerful and perfectly placed to maximise the feeling of grief and loss that your lead character is experiencing. Also, the repetition of the chorus without any more verse-based development is a masterstroke. My observation, from studying many lyrics, is that repetition pretty much always adds dynamite to words when they are already a tinderbox of emotions. That's definitely the case here!

I absolutely love your beginning without an introduction. It's incredibly effective. I once went to a seminar with Grammy award winning producer Stephen Webber (a professor at Berklee College) who said that one of the most powerful ways that any singer can begin a song is to launch straight into it without any form of introduction, musical or spoken, that preempts what the song is about. I agree with him. Elvis Presley did it with a number of his most successful works. The one that springs to mind as I write is (link below) ...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T1Ond-OwgU8

Dolly Parton also showed how effective this arranging/performance technique can be in (link below) ...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vMQWYxPsGqw

What's today's lesson for me? Hmm ... there are a number of them. I think the lesson that sits at the top list is that when one drops the tempo way back, it's not necessary to use all that many words to create a superb song. The catch with this, though, is that it's a double-edged sword. Because so few words are used in the lyrics, the spotlight is on every word and each one has to function to perfection.

Absolutely wonderful stuff!

All the best,
Noel

#222173 - 11/23/13 08:31 AM [User Showcase] Re: Written - (w/ Janice Merritt) [Re: floyd jane]
Guitarhacker Offline
Veteran

Cool tune and good job. I like the writing job that was done on this.

This is reminiscent of the Jones/Wynette ... Twitty/Lynn duets from the golden age of real country music.

Harmonies are dead on sweet, the style is spot on 60's broken heart country.... it could have easily been a top 10 hit for any of the big stars of that bygone era.

Loved the "tinkling" sound of the piano in the break

The meter in the chorus stuck out a bit to me.... where the words kinda rush when everything else before that is much slower and measured....on every piece of my broken heart... I might would have simply stated "on my broken heart" since that would keep the meter the same. Of course, that's simply MHO....

Nice work.

Add nothing that adds nothing to the music

#222174 - 11/23/13 08:32 AM [User Showcase] Re: Written - (w/ Janice Merritt) [Re: floyd jane]
tommyad Offline
Veteran

floyd, Bud and Janice, Now that's what I'm talking about. floyd, well sung and a nice concise write. The piano works well. Bud great job on the mix, everything sits where it

should. And Janice, you have the golden pipes. I can only say that your voice has an effect on me that few others have. I think your vocals are outstanding. OK guys I will

have to pick up a twelver on the way home and crack a cold one for another listen. Tom

#222199 - 11/23/13 10:33 AM [User Showcase] Re: Written - (w/ Janice Merritt) [Re: floyd jane]
Loc: Karlsruhe, Germany
boehm Offline
Veteran

Loc: Karlsruhe, Germany
Hi Floyd and Janice,

Great work as usual.
Wonderful vocals and a tasteful use of RTs.

Guenter

#222207 - 11/23/13 11:13 AM [User Showcase] Re: Written - (w/ Janice Merritt) [Re: floyd jane]
Sundance Offline
Veteran

It's a beautiful track. Love the tinkling piano too. Voices are great together.

The main thing that I might change is the rushed line by removing the word "broken" which is already established in the verse. I think "written on every piece of my heart" would sing much better. jmo

Also, I'd try to get the harmony coming in on all those first on's in the chorus. I know that's tough and a minor nit but it's a little obvious on a true duet song since the harmony is so tight everywhere else. jmo

Another one to be proud of. The three of you make a great team.

#222216 - 11/23/13 12:02 PM [User Showcase] Re: Written - (w/ Janice Merritt) [Re: floyd jane]
Loc: wales
gibson Offline
Veteran

Loc: wales
WOW what a vocal performance!!!

I like the "rushed" last line of the chorus "on every piece of my broken heart" as, to me, it adds the necessary tension to a sad, sad song.I try to use that vehicle in my songs also.

Everything else is perfect, harmonies, mix etc.You 3 fit together well!

As Herb (guitarhacker) said the song is from the golden age of real country music.

Alyn

#222222 - 11/23/13 12:31 PM [User Showcase] Re: Written - (w/ Janice Merritt) [Re: floyd jane]
Loc: Helsinki, Finland
dani48 Offline
Veteran

Loc: Helsinki, Finland
Hi, Floyd & Janice !

Solid as always as pros are
on the go !:)) I Particularly
liked the seamless vocals sung
by you two !:)) My best regards
to all involved !:))

Cheers
Dani

#222223 - 11/23/13 12:31 PM [User Showcase] Re: Written - (w/ Janice Merritt) [Re: floyd jane]
Loc: GA USA
Janice & Bud Offline
Veteran

Loc: GA USA
Hey Folks, Janice looks forward to responding to the kind comments....but in the interim I want to point out that floyd did the mixing and production on this not me! All I did "behind the console" was engineer Janice's vocal and as a bass player offer a few simple suggestions regarding the acoustic bass. Floyd did a great job on the mix -- particularly if you've ever listened to any of the classics of this country sub-genre. Thanks all!
J&B Website

#222280 - 11/23/13 05:56 PM [User Showcase] Re: Written - (w/ Janice Merritt) [Re: JoanneCooper]
floyd jane Offline
Veteran

Originally Posted By: JosieC
Great work as usual Floyd and Janice. The vocals are superb. The simplicity of the lyrics is a wonderful lesson in song writing. Well done!

Joanne - to the rescue - thanks... yea, I've pretty pleased with the simplicity of the lyric - that still conveys so much...

#222284 - 11/23/13 06:08 PM [User Showcase] Re: Written - (w/ Janice Merritt) [Re: Noel96]
floyd jane Offline
Veteran

Originally Posted By: Noel96
Hey floyd,

In all honesty, I don't think music gets any better than what you, Janice and Bud have put together here. This is beautiful; a sensitive and emotion-packed journey through the turmoil of heartbreak. Your composition is outstanding and Janice's and your performances sparkle with sincerity.

Noel - thank you. You do say the nicest things.

The last two phrases of the chorus are incredibly powerful and perfectly placed to maximise the feeling of grief and loss that your lead character is experiencing. Also, the repetition of the chorus without any more verse-based development is a masterstroke. My observation, from studying many lyrics, is that repetition pretty much always adds dynamite to words when they are already a tinderbox of emotions. That's definitely the case here!

The song was basically "built" for that line. After the verse and chorus, I felt like I had said all I wanted to say... and repeating the chorus seemed like all there was left to do.

I absolutely love your beginning without an introduction. It's incredibly effective.

It was the first thing that came to mind - and that's usually the best way to leave it.

... it's not necessary to use all that many words to create a superb song. The catch with this, though, is that it's a double-edged sword. Because so few words are used in the lyrics, the spotlight is on every word and each one has to function to perfection.

Appreciate that you notice that...

Thanks Noel - I so enjoy your comments.

#222286 - 11/23/13 06:39 PM [User Showcase] Re: Written - (w/ Janice Merritt) [Re: floyd jane]
Loc: York, England
ROG Offline
Veteran

Loc: York, England
A beautiful song and almost faultless in every respect.

Right up to the highest standard that we've come to expect from your work and the addition of Janice's voice is just the icing on the cake.

Did I say ALMOST faultless? Well, I have to agree with Josie - I'd have liked the harmony on the start of the lines, but yes, that's being really picky!

An absolute classic of the genre.

ROG.

#222287 - 11/23/13 06:51 PM [User Showcase] Re: Written - (w/ Janice Merritt) [Re: Guitarhacker]
floyd jane Offline
Veteran

Originally Posted By: Guitarhacker
Cool tune and good job. I like the writing job that was done on this.

Thanks Herb. Appreciate that.

This is reminiscent of the Jones/Wynette ... Twitty/Lynn duets from the golden age of real country music.

Harmonies are dead on sweet, the style is spot on 60's broken heart country.... it could have easily been a top 10 hit for any of the big stars of that bygone era.

Pretty much what we were after. Or actually, the more "updated" feel of Vince Gill and Patty Lovelace. It certainly helps having someone like Janice to sing with...

The meter in the chorus stuck out a bit to me.... where the words kinda rush when everything else before that is much slower and measured....on every piece of my broken heart... I might would have simply stated "on my broken heart" since that would keep the meter the same. Of course, that's simply MHO....

As I told Noel, the song was built for that last line of the chorus. And I tried a lot of different ways to make that work. In the end, I decided that the difference was actually a good fit. One of those things that, in time..becomes "the way it was done"...

#222290 - 11/23/13 07:10 PM [User Showcase] Re: Written - (w/ Janice Merritt) [Re: tommyad]
floyd jane Offline
Veteran

Originally Posted By: tommyad
floyd, Bud and Janice, Now that's what I'm talking about. floyd, well sung and a nice concise write. The piano works well. Bud great job on the mix, everything sits where it should. And Janice, you have the golden pipes. I can only say that your voice has an effect on me that few others have. I think your vocals are outstanding. OK guys I will have to pick up a twelver on the way home and crack a cold one for another listen. Tom

Tom - thanks for all of that. I knew you would appreciate this one. That girl can sing! can't she??? Save one of those for me! - I would like to share a beer with you one day...

#222291 - 11/23/13 07:11 PM [User Showcase] Re: Written - (w/ Janice Merritt) [Re: boehm]
floyd jane Offline
Veteran

Originally Posted By: boehm
Hi Floyd and Janice,

Great work as usual.
Wonderful vocals and a tasteful use of RTs.

Guenter

Thanks Guenter.

#222293 - 11/23/13 07:16 PM [User Showcase] Re: Written - (w/ Janice Merritt) [Re: Sundance]
floyd jane Offline
Veteran

Originally Posted By: Sundance
It's a beautiful track. Love the tinkling piano too. Voices are great together.

The main thing that I might change is the rushed line by removing the word "broken" which is already established in the verse. I think "written on every piece of my heart" would sing much better. jmo

Like I told Herb, I did struggle with that. It is one of the reasons that it "went in the drawer" for so long. But in the end, that line had to STAY... it is what the song was written for. And (as Alyn states later) it adds a tension...

Also, I'd try to get the harmony coming in on all those first on's in the chorus. I know that's tough and a minor nit but it's a little obvious on a true duet song since the harmony is so tight everywhere else. jmo

I have remixed the song to include those. ROG agreed with your sentiment, so I figured I'd give it a go...

Another one to be proud of. The three of you make a great team.

Thanks Josie.

#222296 - 11/23/13 08:28 PM [User Showcase] Re: Written - (w/ Janice Merritt) [Re: floyd jane]
Loc: Woodstock, NY
rsdean Offline
Veteran

Loc: Woodstock, NY
Floyd,

I like everything about this - great job!

Bob

#222300 - 11/23/13 08:54 PM [User Showcase] Re: Written - (w/ Janice Merritt) [Re: gibson]
floyd jane Offline
Veteran

Originally Posted By: gibson
WOW what a vocal performance!!!

Appreciate that, Alyn, as I'm sure Janice will...

I like the "rushed" last line of the chorus "on every piece of my broken heart" as, to me, it adds the necessary tension to a sad, sad song.I try to use that vehicle in my songs also.

I agree! That's why I left that the way it was. I knew it would be perceived that way - and decided that worked to my advantage. There are many songs that on first listen, I'll think "hmmm... I don't know..." - and over time it becomes a definitive part of that song.

Everything else is perfect, harmonies, mix etc.You 3 fit together well!

As Herb (guitarhacker) said the song is from the golden age of real country music.

Again, thanks...

#222301 - 11/23/13 08:55 PM [User Showcase] Re: Written - (w/ Janice Merritt) [Re: dani48]
floyd jane Offline
Veteran

Originally Posted By: dani48
Hi, Floyd & Janice !

Solid as always as pros are
on the go !:)) I Particularly
liked the seamless vocals sung
by you two !:)) My best regards
to all involved !:))

Cheers
Dani

Thanks Dani.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

PG Music News
Video: Band-in-a-Box® 2019 for Windows® New Features!

Our "Band-in-a-Box® 2019 for Windows®! New Features, RealTracks, and other content!" video is now ready! Get to know all about the newest features in Band-in-a-Box® 2019: Click here to watch...

We have listed a table of contents for this video, you'll see it within the YouTube video description, or by visiting this forum post.

RealBand 2019 - A New Look!

Have you opened up your RealBand 2019 yet? You may notice that we've given it a fresh new look! In fact, there are now 3 different looks to RealBand.

See for yourself! Within the program, visit Options | Icon Set and choose from: Classic, Modern 1, or Modern 2.

Band-in-a-Box® 2019 for Windows - Choosing to Run 64-bit or 32-bit

We heard you! With the release of Band-in-a-Box® 2019 for Windows we've included the BRAND NEW 64-bit version of Band-in-a-Box®, which works well with the latest plugins and 64-bit OS features! Because not everyone has a 64-bit computer, we include both the 64-bit and 32-bit versions with your purchase - you choose which one to use!

By default, when you install your Band-in-a-Box® 2019 for Windows the 32-bit version will run.

The steps to run the 64-bit version are simple! Just head to your "bb" folder and choose the "bbw64" icon - you'll notice that the Band-in-a-Box® "splash screen" will state "64-bit" as the program opens.
(and if you open the 32-bit version, the "splash screen" will state "32-bit")

Still not certain which version you're running? Within the program, go to Help | About Band-in-a-Box - it'll either state:

Band-in-a-Box® for Windows
Version 2019 (604)
<--- the number in brackets is the build number - this will change as new patch updates are released
64 bit application

or:

Band-in-a-Box® for Windows
Version 2019 (604)
<--- the number in brackets is the build number - this will change as new patch updates are released
32 bit application

We hope everyone who can is enjoying their Band-in-a-Box® 2019 64-bit version for Windows!

NEW! Style-style-style Additions and Enhancements in Band-in-a-Box® 2019 for Windows!

With over 64 new features and enhancements in Band-in-a-Box® 2019, we've made sure to add to, enhance, and update some of the Style features within the program: StylePicker, StyleMaker, and Song Titles browser within the StylePicker!

StylePicker Enhancements:
-If the style list needs rebuild, it tells you that within the StylePicker, instead of a message that requires a response.
-The rebuild is faster than before by 75%. It takes 1/4 of the time now.
-While the style list is being rebuilt, you can see the progress inside the StylePicker.
-The style list can be filtered by a specific RealTracks/RealDrums/MIDI SuperTracks or RealTracks/MIDI SuperTracks in a certain number range.
-You can filter the style list by a specific Xtra Styles PAK.
-The dialog to select an Xtra Styles PAK has a button to take you to the PG Music website that shows information about Xtra Styles PAKs.
-The StylePicker can list all styles (including N/A styles) in the default display.
-The Set number display is improved, including sort by type and Xtra styles.

StyleMaker Improvements:

-The new MIDI velocity offset allows you to make styles with altered loudness for MIDI tracks.
-Styles can be saved with information like a memo, examples, genres, and more, which will be displayed in the StylePicker.
-You can import information from another style. This is useful when you are making a similar style.
-A style can have a huge number of RealTracks (up to 70!) because the StyleMaker now supports RealTracks multi/medley feature, which allows a single track to have up to 10 simultaneous playing of RealTracks.

Song Titles Browser Enhancement

-We’ve added 300 more song titles including requests from users, so there are now over 10,600 titles.
-The chord density filter is available, and it’s also displayed in the memo.
-The chord complexity filter is available.

Review all the new features of Band-in-a-Box® 2019 here.

NEW! Traditional Celtic Tunes with Artist Performance Set 9: Celtic Flute with Geoff Kelly

Purchase Band-in-a-Box® 2019 for Windows during our special (which ends December 31st), and you can add the 49-PAK to your order for just $49!

Among the great Add-ons included in the 49-PAK is our Artist Performance Set 9: Celtic Flute with Geoff Kelly, which includes 18 traditional Celtic tunes! You'll find beautifully performed songs like Boys of Bluehill, The Cliffs of Moher, Harvest Home, Rolling in the Rye Glass, and more!

The Celtic RealTracks backing up performances by Geoff Kelly sound amazing, and so do the duets with previous Artist Performance musician Daniel Lapp (on fiddle)! Listen to all the demos for these Artists Performances near the bottom of our Bonus PAKs page, here.

Here's a taste: Demo: Rolling in the Rye Grass

The Band-in-a-Box® 2019 for Windows Bonus PAKs!

Purchase Band-in-a-Box® 2019 for Windows during our special (which ends December 31st), and you'll receive a FREE Bonus PAK overflowing with great Add-ons, including MIDI SuperTracks Set 28: Pop Basses with 6 MIDI SuperTracks, 21 RealDrums Transcriptions, 120 guitar licks and riffs in Instrumental Studies 7: Brent Mason 12-key CountryPop Guitar Licks, and 15 new MIDI Styles!

Or, upgrade it to the 49-PAK for just $49 and you'll add 40 UNRELEASED RealTracks, 10 "Low Man" & Re-amped "12-Key" Metal/Thrash Electric Guitar RealTracks, 6 more MIDI SuperTracks with Set 29: More Organ, Piano & Accordion, 120 more guitar licks and riffs with Instrumental Studies 8: Brent Mason 12-key Train-Beat Licks, 15 more MIDI Styles, and Artist Performance Set 9: Celtic Flute with Geoff Kelly!

Watch the video highlighting our 49-PAK here, or listen to demos and learn more here.

Free Bonus PAK Contents:
-Look Ma! More MIDI 1
-21 RealDrums Transcriptions
-MIDI SuperTracks Set 28: Pop Basses
-Instrumental Studies 7: Brent Mason 12-key CountryPop Guitar Licks

2019 49-PAK Contents:
-40 Bonus RealTracks!
-10 "Low Man" and Re-amped "12-Key" Metal/Thrash Electric Guitar RealTracks
-Artist Performance Set 9: Celtic Flute with Geoff Kelly
-Instrumental Studies 8: Brent Mason 12-key Train-Beat Licks
-Look Ma! More MIDI 2
-MIDI SuperTracks Set 29: More Organ, Piano & Accordion

Video - Band-in-a-Box® 2019 - Everything You Need to Know in Under 6 Minutes!

Get to know the new Band-in-a-Box® 2019 for Windows with our Band-in-a-Box® 2019 - Everything You Need to Know in Under 6 Minutes! video: Click here to watch...

Forum Stats
28406 Members
58 Forums
55136 Topics
459179 Posts

Max Online: 2434 @ 11/14/17 12:37 AM
Newest Members
ecnal, Jurassic, Derek Deatherage, poyol247, otcpub

28405 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
Matt Finley 330
Pipeline 308