Next Thread
Print Thread
Go To
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Band-in-a-Box for Windows
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: malevans
.. and I have to disagree with your assumption that 'The vast majority of users (90% maybe?)use one of the basic GM synths.'

Easy to say Mal, but do you have any evidence to support that theory?

All I see are the same few folks on this forum chiming in whenever the 64 bit topic comes up which is frequently. Look at this thread. Where is the flood of people who agree with you? There's a few, that's it.

Now, I do agree with the concept that from a pure marketing and simply looking like Biab is a current piece of software pov they should go 64 bit. You haven't been able to buy a new 32 bit system for several years now, all new computers being sold are 64 bit. The problem is you're not gaining any functionality aside from the high end VST and ram usage thing. Peter asked you if there would be anything else that going 64 bit would improve and you have no answer for that one. It's just VST/ram usage.

This takes us back to my original point. There's not enough users who care about that to make the investment worth it. The time and effort involved would be huge for a small company like PGM and they're not seeing a decent ROI.

Bob

Biab/RB latest build, Win 11 Pro, Ryzen 5 5600 G, 512 Gig SSD, 16 Gigs Ram, Steinberg UR22 MkII, Roland Sonic Cell, Kurzweil PC3, Hammond SK1, Korg PA3XPro, Garritan JABB, Hypercanvas, Sampletank 3, more.
J
Journeyman
Journeyman
J
Originally Posted By: PeterGannon
So far every request for 64 bit is to use 64 bit plugins. If we add support for using 64 bit plugins within our 32 bit program, via a wrapper solution, are there any other advantages for BiaB to be 64 bit?

jBridge should work (most of the time) for this already, as it works both ways. This is from their site:

"Using inter-process communication mechanisms, it aims to make it possible to run 32bit plugins in 64bit hosts, 64bit plugins in 32bit hosts, or even bridging 32bit plugins to 32bit hosts, allowing to overcome the memory limitations of a single 32bit process, in this last case."

The only problem is it doesn't run all 64 bit vstis equally well, based on what I've been reading.

My vote goes for maintaining the current version and fixing it's problems, but then again, all my vstis are 32 bit anyways lol. smile

Journeyman
Journeyman
Originally Posted By: jazzmammal
[quote=malevans]...Biab is a current piece of software pov they should go 64 bit. You haven't been able to buy a new 32 bit system for several years now, all new computers being sold are 64 bit. The problem is you're not gaining any functionality aside from the high end VST and ram usage thing. ...
This takes us back to my original point. There's not enough users who care about that to make the investment worth it. The time and effort involved would be huge for a small company like PGM ...
Bob

Hi Bob,
I appreciate your reply and the conciliatory way in which it was presented. I think your assumptions are basically correct.
However, the reality is there might not be enough users who care, because potential new users do care about VST/ram usage.
I doubt that too many new users would be enticed by the prospect of Coyote WT being their go to instrument of choice. People buying 64 bit new PC's with 32gig ram, high end in audio interfaces, are wanting much more than what's on offer. Yes, you can polish it in a DAW, but once you get used to good sound you usually don't go back to the ordinary. People want to load both 32 and 64 bit Vst's, to achieve sounds equivalent to what is the acceptable norm these days, because times have moved on.
I agree, it's probably an issue of cost that has hindered real development of BIAB, it's uniqueness is what keeps it afloat. However, I'm not sure the next generation of users will be as sympathetic to its short comings.
Col
ps. I've upgraded for the Real Tracks and Super Midi and will do the same next update, I'm thankful for any improvements, BIAB is a great program, I've been enjoying it for around 20 yrs, but it could be so much better.

WIN 10, BIAB WIN2022, Studio One 5, Audient iD4
R
Veteran
Veteran
R
I think a lot of this is realy fussin about nothin"

Really BiaB is not a full on DAW program, and really only runs what 6 tracks at a time tops. I don't think anyone will run out of ram on that regard.

PG includes a nice Sampletank program, and my Kontakt is both 32 and 64 bit, as is my sampletank, and most of my plugs load both version, and then the 32 bit can run in BiaB and the 64 bit version in whatever DAW needs it.

I bet that someday it will evolve that way. but it is a very powerful and useful program as it stands.

Lenovo Win 10 16 gig ram, Mac mini with 16 gig of ram, BiaB 2022, Realband, Harrison Mixbus 32c version 9.1324, Melodyne 5 editor, Presonus Audiobox 1818VSL, Presonus control app, Komplete 49 key controller.
Journeyman
OP Offline
Journeyman
I have been using jBridge since its inception.

It's great for loading 32 bit to 64 bit but do you really think that loading 64 bit in to BB would work.

Imagine loading ... let's say LA, strings, Vienna Grand, Trillian Bass, AGM Martin Guitar, Superior Drummer and Omnisphere Choirs.

NOW PRESS PLAY.

Did it work?

Mal
Journeyman
OP Offline
Journeyman
I'm using 24 gig ram and no way will that work.

It does work in a 64 bit DAW beautifully, with no latency issues whatsoever.

Last edited by malevans; 12/02/13 02:57 PM.

Mal
R
Veteran
Veteran
R
yeah i see what you mean on that side of it. Are you using BiaB as a live performance tool? I ask cause if you are I can really see your point. I don't i use RB, and that allows me to bounce down to audio files and mix the song file from that point and it saves a lot of power that way.

Lenovo Win 10 16 gig ram, Mac mini with 16 gig of ram, BiaB 2022, Realband, Harrison Mixbus 32c version 9.1324, Melodyne 5 editor, Presonus Audiobox 1818VSL, Presonus control app, Komplete 49 key controller.
Journeyman
Journeyman
Originally Posted By: Robh
I think a lot of this is realy fussin about nothin"

No, I don't think it is.
Just like asking for greater VST support as opposed to Dxi wasn't "fussin about nothing".
VST3 and beyond is where things seem to be heading at the moment, which is based on 64 bit technology.
Col

R
Veteran
Veteran
R
Touche' gotcha. I guess VSTi is still not fully implemented as far as it could be either.

I guess this is the reason so many of us still have cutting edge DAW software to compliment BiaB. To me it is a creation tool not a finishing tool, like a saw and hammer not a sander.

Hmmm Biab and Rb for that matter has come a long way so far. I bet it keeps going and we will see some of this addressed.

What one of us needs the other does not, so i guess we can't have it all just yet. But it is not wrong to ask. I certainly ask for some stuff in another post, so your wants and needs are just as important as anyones. Keep asking that is why we have what we do have. the PG folks do want to put out a great product.

Thanks for that little piece of clarity for me.

Journeyman
OP Offline
Journeyman
..... but that is just it Robh.

It is a creation tool BUT it could also be a finishing tool. Just imagine doing the whole thing in BB only.

No ... I only use BB to write material. My live gigging is very rare these days and then only vocal and guitar. I love writing material though.

Mal
R
Veteran
Veteran
R
Mal i think there is where yours and a few other frustration begins. There are some that want to finish a project in BiaB, but i do not think that was ever the intent of the program. It never was a DAW in the strictest since. It has always been marketed as auto-generation/accompaniment program. A creation tool, and a learning tool. That is why they build first Powertracks, and now RealBand. They are DAW software packages. Where one can take a BiaB creation and polish it up. RB is still young, and will grow hopefully, but for now if you want big time finishing tool you have to go to a deeper DAW package.

A good indication i am right on this is the fact that BiaB Mac still has no RB, and folks there are suggested to port over to something like garageband for finish creations.

Sure you can finish in BiaB, but that is like competing in the indy 500 in a stock corvette, fast yes, but not compared to a formula one car.

I certainly understand your views, and see what you are asking. But i believe you have a very long wait for what you want, if ever.

Our good friend Zero Zero has asked for a couple years now to blend BiaB and RB. IMHO he is missing the big picture here, and maybe you are as well. (maybe i am for that matter, it wouldn't be the first time) RB is that blend! A true DAW with the creation tools of BiaB added and True DAW features like FX busses, automation (now somewhat) Multiple tracks, and much more.

There is where your growth focus should be. If you want world class DAW tools from PG ask them to be added to RB. Not only does it blend the feature set of BiaB and Powertracks, it seamlessly opens BiaB files with out drop and drag. Just save, close BiaB, and open RB, open the file and it is all there ready to polish to your hearts content.

I appreciate your dialog, and i hope you do so in return. Regards, Rob

M
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
M
Had to chime in as I found myself smiling at the "to-and-fro"...interesting thread to me as this is a very representative "customer - supplier" conversation. (I'm a Boeing systems integration project manager, work with "demanding" customers every day, and have to facilitate trade-offs between suppliers and customers constantly).

The "Customer" knows what s/he wants (needs?)- and almost always represent a value-add to other customers as well.

But the supplier has many customers with an evergrowing list of requirements ("needs").

Given available resource (cost) and a yearly (or bi-yearly) schedule constraint (e.g. 1-to-2 releases/year), the supplier must prioritize "features" to develop and deliver (scope) to deliver the maximum cost/benefit (revenue, margin) needed to first survive, and, ideally, grow.

Bottom line: I am purchasing the "EverythingPak" after working with Biab2013 though I really, really would prefer a BiaB that was x64, Windows 7, way better GUI, much stronger stylemaking (pattern creation) and "Mixing" capabilities.

Why? Because it's a tool that is one of several that aids and abets creation. Motif with its Performances, Arpeggiation and Pattern creation functionality; Reason with its toolkits and Cubase with its great production-oriented tools.

Biab is not likely to ever be the "one ring that rules them all" - so what? Like the growing MIDI Superstyles, like the RealTracks with Notation; really dislike several aspects of it. So I don't use it for that.

Cheers, love the forum and the passion.

Last edited by MotleyFool; 12/02/13 07:03 PM.

Cheers, Mike.

BiaB 2022 UltraPak, Cubase Pro 11, Ableton Live 11, NI Komplete 13 Ultimate.
Yamaha P515, Yamaha MODX6, Yamaha Tyros 5, Komplete Kontrol S49 MKII, Maschine MKII.
Windows 10 Pro, i7, 32GB RAM, 3TB SSD.
Veteran
Veteran
I work at a CPA firm so I'm a profit and loss business type in addition to being a musician.

This boils down to a business decision. I still have not seen any evidence at all to suggest that there is a significant portion of the user base who cares one whit about this.

Imagine the meeting:

One side of the table is PG, a VP and the Director of Marketing. On the other side of the table are the software developers.

Question for the developers: How much will it cost to rewrite the entire program to 64 bit?

Answer: A lot.

Question to the Director of Marketing: Do you see enough additional sales in the next three years to justify that expenditure?

Answer: I don't know or, our surveys show probably not.

Question: So why should we spend this inordinate amount of money considering if we can't recoup it plus make a profit we might go out of business?

This is pure speculation and touches on the inner workings of the company that none of us know anything about so lets stop spending Peters money and enjoy what we have now.

Bob

Biab/RB latest build, Win 11 Pro, Ryzen 5 5600 G, 512 Gig SSD, 16 Gigs Ram, Steinberg UR22 MkII, Roland Sonic Cell, Kurzweil PC3, Hammond SK1, Korg PA3XPro, Garritan JABB, Hypercanvas, Sampletank 3, more.
Veteran
Veteran
Hi Rob, I do not have the ‘finishing in BiaB’ frustrations as maybe a few others however I am a proponent for 64 bit BiaB. Whatever BiaB does I hope that they never combine BiaB and RB. BiaB is not a finishing product.

My frustration is with not having the ability to use my really good sounding 64 bit VSTis. As an example take say a string ensemble, piano or pad part using Sampletank. Now take the same track(s) and play them with MS’s internal sound chip. They sound lousy don’t they. That is the type, although not quite that bad, of thing I experience when going from BiaB to my 64 bit VSTis. Sampletank is 5-6 years old and newer VSTis sound much better, however they require a lot more ram. I hope I explained this good enough.

The world is moving or has moved to 64 bit. Every music software company that I know of is moving or has moved to 64 bit with the exception of PGMusic. I pray that they are not limiting their potential customer base by staying with 32 bit. I say that as I have had a couple of discussions with people who will not even look at a 32 bit program regardless how good that program may be.

Me, it's not about how many times you fail, it's about how many times you get back up.
Cop, that's not how field sobriety tests work.

64 bit Win 10 Pro, the latest BiaB/RB, Roland Octa-Capture audio interface, a ton of software/hardware
R
Veteran
Veteran
R
Mario that is a very fair evaluation on your part, and i really understand it. I would be happy to see 64 bit development for those very reasons. I also agree never take BiaB in the direction of a main stream DFAW workstation. It was never meat to be that. I think Mal is on this page as well from what i read. He seems to use it for creation and wants better VSTi's

That has been at root one for a while, the jamstix issue is now bleeding over to the 64 bit conversation. VSTi tech in this program is behind the times for sure.

But please do not try to turn BiaB into cubase, or sonar, those programs have enough issue on there own imagine adding generation tools to that mess.

Just refine Rb with a few more real cool tools, and more stability, and touch up the new look BiaB and add more RTs RDs, SMT, and such.

I can't wait to dive into user tracks, and synth vocalist.

Veteran
Veteran
The number of posters in the BIAB forum is very small compared to the number of BIAB users. There are thousands of users out there. Many of them who probably use BIAB like I do, for accompaniment on gigs and who could care less whether BIAB is 64 bit. I do many solo gigs and BIAB makes me sound like a trio. If BIAB goes to 64 bit then I'm happy for you. Meanwhile, BIAB, as is, functions just fine for me. As I mentioned in another post, can't wait for the Ron Carter and Lewis Nash Real Tracks. Later, Ray

Asus Q500A i7 Win 10 64 bit 8GB ram 750 HD 15.5" touch screen, BIAB 2017, Casio PX 5s, Xw P1, Center Point Stereo SS V3 and EWI 4000s.
Journeyman
OP Offline
Journeyman
It is a great debate guys and i'm still frustrated at some responses. Cough, cough.

Maybe some business models never get off the ground because of caution. They will always remain middle of the road.

I tried finishing a project in RB. It didn't happen. It never could happen. Not as a 32 bit software program. It crashed constantly. It is buggy now and always has been.

If RB went 64 bit then it only seems logical to include BB. I feel sure most would concur.

As an artist I hope my creative and perceptive responses guide me to new and diverse chains of thought, ultimately, to a better and more fulfilling end product. I am an Artist. That is, I paint, draw etc. I'm also a singer, songwriter. Not bragging, I just am. I taught and lectured for 25 years and left because I felt I was falling in to an administrative role as a Department Head and was not giving enough to my students. The education system was being cluster ****** by incompetent politicians.

Now I just enjoy being creative ............ but I always am thankful for those tools that make the exploration easier.

That isn't selfishness on my part because my students always kept in touch. At least I hope it didn't come across that way. wink

Mal
Journeyman
OP Offline
Journeyman
@raymb1 .... A 64 bit version might make you sound like a full orchestra. smile

Mal
Veteran
Veteran
LOL Any more than having bass and drums would make me feel like I had a karaoke machine. I could have used BIAB back in the disco days when I had a six piece band, to beef up the horn parts. Now-a-days, having bass and drums is enough for me. Makes a solo gig go by quickly. Later, Ray

Last edited by raymb1; 12/02/13 08:54 PM.

Asus Q500A i7 Win 10 64 bit 8GB ram 750 HD 15.5" touch screen, BIAB 2017, Casio PX 5s, Xw P1, Center Point Stereo SS V3 and EWI 4000s.
Journeyman
Journeyman
First up, sorry for the long post.
However, here are some posts from "regulars" back in 2009.
_____________________________________________________________________________________

1) Most VStis will work, there are a few with timing issue that do not work inside RB, and BiaB. But i would bet Kontact will work, but it might suffer from the difficultlies that bandstand has. I had better sucess with sampletank.

2) I hope you don`t mind me saying that when BIAB was first developed it was built round the creative AWE soundcard and it even had a AWE editor within the software so really BIAB still runs the best with a GM based sound card or a GM based softsynth and now the GM based SD2 hardware module

You can use any of these modern samplers or Romplersor what ever they may be called but the work level increases so much its not worth it i have just been trying for the past week to get Kontact 2 with garrin BB&JB to work and i have had not a lot of luck it will play the backing tracks ok but will not play the melody and the soloist tracks with out problems if you have the patiece and the time you may get it to work ok but i got fed up and packed it in

it is so simple with a GM based sounds that you just load your tune and press play and then the next and so on with Kontact you have to set each tune up every time which to me is a pain and to me the SD2 is better sounding then most if you don`t have the ability to program these new software programs like Kontact to make them sound better then the SD2.
_____________________________________________________________________________________

Arent't you glad PG Music didn't take the, "there's nothing wrong with it... we don't need it... 64 bit will never fly... costs to much.. yada yada..", approach a few years ago. Just imagine what you'd be stuck with today.
Things move on, well good things do, that's how they get to be good.
Col

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Update Your PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 Today!

Add updated printing options, enhanced tracks settings, smoother use of MGU and SGU (BB files) within PowerTracks, and more with the latest PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 update!

Learn more about this free update for PowerTracks Pro Audio & download it at www.pgmusic.com/support_windows_pt.htm#2024_5

The Newest RealBand 2024 Update is Here!

The newest RealBand 2024 Build 5 update is now available!

Download and install this to your RealBand 2024 for updated print options, streamlined loading and saving of .SGU & MGU (BB) files, and to add a number of program adjustments that address user-reported bugs and concerns.

This free update is available to all RealBand 2024 users. To learn more about this update and download it, head to www.pgmusic.com/support.realband.htm#20245

The Band-in-a-Box® Flash Drive Backup Option

Today (April 5) is National Flash Drive Day!

Did you know... not only can you download your Band-in-a-Box® Pro, MegaPAK, or PlusPAK purchase - you can also choose to add a flash drive backup copy with the installation files for only $15? It even comes with a Band-in-a-Box® keychain!

For the larger Band-in-a-Box® packages (UltraPAK, UltraPAK+, Audiophile Edition), the hard drive backup copy is available for only $25. This will include a preinstalled and ready to use program, along with your installation files.

Backup copies are offered during the checkout process on our website.

Already purchased your e-delivery version, and now you wish you had a backup copy? It's not too late! If your purchase was for the current version of Band-in-a-Box®, you can still reach out to our team directly to place your backup copy order!

Note: the Band-in-a-Box® keychain is only included with flash drive backup copies, and cannot be purchased separately.

Handy flash drive tip: Always try plugging in a USB device the wrong way first? If your flash drive (or other USB plug) doesn't have a symbol to indicate which way is up, look for the side with a seam on the metal connector (it only has a line across one side) - that's the side that either faces down or to the left, depending on your port placement.

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows® Today!

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows for free with build 1111!

With this update, there's more control when saving images from the Print Preview window, we've added defaults to the MultiPicker for sorting and font size, updated printing options, updated RealTracks and other content, and addressed user-reported issues with the StylePicker, MIDI Soloists, key signature changes, and more!

Learn more about this free update for Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/support_windowsupdates.htm#1111

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 Review: 4.75 out of 5 Stars!

If you're looking for a in-depth review of the newest Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows version, you'll definitely find it with Sound-Guy's latest review, Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows Review: Incredible new capabilities to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs.

A few excerpts:
"The Tracks view is possibly the single most powerful addition in 2024 and opens up a new way to edit and generate accompaniments. Combined with the new MultiPicker Library Window, it makes BIAB nearly perfect as an 'intelligent' composer/arranger program."

"MIDI SuperTracks partial generation showing six variations – each time the section is generated it can be instantly auditioned, re-generated or backed out to a previous generation – and you can do this with any track type. This is MAJOR! This takes musical experimentation and honing an arrangement to a new level, and faster than ever."

"Band in a Box continues to be an expansive musical tool-set for both novice and experienced musicians to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs, as well as an extensive educational resource. It is huge, with hundreds of functions, more than any one person is likely to ever use. Yet, so is any DAW that I have used. BIAB can do some things that no DAW does, and this year BIAB has more DAW-like functions than ever."

Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,563
Posts734,440
Members38,492
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
VIPBET사설토토, GlebeGreg, michel vermeulen, Mikanh132, ABE
38,491 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 185