Next Thread
Print Thread
Go To
Page 4 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Band-in-a-Box Wishlist
jhg Offline
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
This problem happens with some songs, not others. I can't figure out why. When I copy a chorus section with melody and lyrics in an unfolded song to a later part of the song and insert bars at destination, I get a window with the question: "There are existing melody notes/lyrics in the region that you are copying the melody to. Would you like to delete them?" Whether I answer yes, the "Copy From ...To" copies the melody to the new bars, but leaves the chords and lyrics blank. Also, why would it ask me if I want to delete existing melody notes and lyrics where I'm copying to when I select the option to paste to newly inserted bars?
To make it really complicated, if you answer the question-- "No, don't delete the melody notes or lyrics" then it doubles the words in the from location so you end up with a jumbled up mess for lyrics, but no lyrics in the to location.
If this doesn't happen to you, keep trying other songs. You will stumble on this if you write a lot of lyrics with Band in a Box. I called support about this a couple of versions ago and sent them my song example--- I got no resolution to this.
Please fix this. It will take some time to isolate the problem. I certainly can't figure out what's going on.

--- Jim

Band in a Box 2024 build 1109, Studio One 6.52, AMD 3900X, 32gb ram, Windows 10 Pro 22H2 64 bit, Behringer U-Phoria UMC1820, Yamaha CP33, TriplePlay midi controller

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCkzi0yL2slMhPVCxc9E9usA

Band-in-a-Box Wishlist
jhg Offline
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
I've learned a lot of chords from the Guitar Tutor in the guitar window. I like to practice chords in one position at a time, slowing the tempo down, then increase the tempo as I learn them. Yet BIAB does not let you constrain the chords to one position-- they jump all over the neck. I'd like to hang out in the 5th position or A chord, then move on to the 9th position, or the open position. Better would be to have a slider to let you adjust how many frets the chords move around from the center position you choose. I would usually select 2 frets on either side. Sometimes I would constrain it to stay at that one position where I want to practice.

--- Jim

Band in a Box 2024 build 1109, Studio One 6.52, AMD 3900X, 32gb ram, Windows 10 Pro 22H2 64 bit, Behringer U-Phoria UMC1820, Yamaha CP33, TriplePlay midi controller

Band-in-a-Box Wishlist
jhg Offline
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
The miditracks picker is a great new feature. Now I wish PGMusic will go back over their whole library of midi styles and update some parts that are really simplistic. Especially the bass, but also strings and drums. Sorry I don't have any examples right now, but this was one of the reasons for making realtracks. Sure the miditracks picker will save me a lot of time finding midi parts, but the main reason I pass them up and keep looking is because so many sound so quantized and mechanical.
Or how about making an embellisher to humanize the bass, drums, and strings? That would help, but I think a lot of the midi parts need to be re-done.

--- Jim

Band-in-a-Box Wishlist
P
Apprentice
Apprentice
P
TBH I've only read about 1/2 of this thread ... and I strongly concur with Norton's inciting insights.

But along with multiport midi and higher resolution, there is one feature that tops them all for me: a multichannel MIDI VSTi version.

Music Devlopments RapdidComposer (google it if you're interested) has just been updated to include a 128 track MIDI VSTi. The developer did it by himself evenings and weekends over a couple of months. This product uses 8 different instantiations of the MIDI VSTi plug ins to get it's 128 tracks ... but all using the same GUI by having tracks 1-16 go to the first instance, named ... you guessed it '1-16' ... and in the GUI tracks 17-32 go to the second GUI, etc.

Surely it wouldn't take the BIAB crew more than a few weeks to accomplish this with the number of tracks in BIAB?

The only reason I can imagine this hasn't been done is because it might be considered to conflict with the development of RealBand, as in 'keep it all in the family.'

In my opinion, this is shortsighted. There are thousands of BIAB users who are dedicated users of Cubase, Logic, ProTools, Sonar, etc., who are never going to go to RealBand as their primary DAW. Even more significantly, there are many times that many dedicated users of these other DAWs who would only be interested in buying BIAB, either as an included feature or separate product, if it were a multichannel MIDI VSTi.

Besides RapidComposer, Cognitone is shortly to release a MIDI VSTi. Simpler midi manipulation MIDI VSTi products like 7Aliens Catanya or SubarBytes TheSys or Consequence are already significant products in the general audio creation/ production market.

BIAB will miss a huge opportunity if they don't target this type of MIDI enhancement.

Prado

Band-in-a-Box Wishlist
J
Journeyman
Journeyman
J
1) Ability to globally adjust midi velocity of a midi track - not something that would set all velocities to a uniform level, but a window next to volume and pan in the UI that would add or subtract a certain amount to existing note velocities. Most modern sequencers have a window like this for midi tracks.

2) Access to more midi channels. RealTracks and harmonies now occupy a lot of midi channels and tracks. It would be nice to be able to load 5 or 6 RTs and still have access the full range of midi channels.

3) Thanks for adding the feature allowing the quick addition of a single midi part to a biab song. It would be really helpful if there were some quick way to audition that midi part before you load it into the song.

4) There are a lot of really nice midi parts and styles, but they are highly quantized. The humanize function in "Slide Tracks" is a good start, but I think we need a more powerful and effective way to randomize (humanize) note starts, durations and velocities in a musical way.

5) The ability to regenerate a single midi part like we can now for RealTracks

6) The ability to highlight a certain number of bars and have it regenerate. This would be helpful for midi and RealTracks.

Thanks for contuing to improve BIAB. It's a great program and getting better with each release.

John

Band-in-a-Box Wishlist
Expert
Expert
I would like the option to add a FX to a midi part when you have loaded a midi file into Band In a Box.

For example - if you load a midi file it usually ends up in the Melody track.
Clicking on the SEQ button then allows you to change an instrument, Volume etc.
I would like to be able to insert a FX on each individual instrument.

Best regards
George

Windows 11 64 bit, Biab 2023 1006, Realband 2023 (1)
i7 Desktop Computer 16Gb Memory

Band-in-a-Box Wishlist
J
Journeyman
Journeyman
J
It seems archaic now to save BIAB songs with .sgu and .mgu extensions.
When BIAB was midi only, it clearly indicated a song with a melody track. But now the melody track could just as easily have an RT.

Band-in-a-Box Wishlist
Veteran
Veteran
Quote:

I would like the option to add a FX to a midi part when you have loaded a midi file into Band In a Box.

For example - if you load a midi file it usually ends up in the Melody track.
Clicking on the SEQ button then allows you to change an instrument, Volume etc.
I would like to be able to insert a FX on each individual instrument.

Best regards
George

What you actually want, it sounds like, is assigning each part of an existing MIDI arrangement to individual BIAB instruments. And I think that's outside the range of things BIAB can do. Fortunately, it should be handled automatically in Real Band. And then you can assign FX to each individual instrument.

Best,
Tom Smith
Win10/64 • i7-8700K • 24 GB RAM
BIAB 2024 • Reaper 7 • Izotope MPS
AKG C1000S • IK iRig I/O Pro
Band-in-a-Box Wishlist
Veteran
Veteran
'Freezing' for measures and instruments, i.e. the ability to press Play and regenerate parts and then be able to freeze parts of that 'take' so that it isn't lost on the next Play/regenerate.

For example, I often like how an intro sounds, but would like to regenerate other parts of the song without losing that intro.

Songs web site
YouTube Channel
BIAB 2019
Cakewalk by BandLab
Studio One 4
Band-in-a-Box Wishlist
P
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
P
Is there a way to set up live auto-accompaniment where playing the base note will play a midi comp in the chosen style? I was sure this was already a feature in the program but I can't figure out how. If it is not a feature I am sure I am not the only one that would like to see it added.

Band-in-a-Box Wishlist
Veteran
Veteran
I posted a new wish for a "latin" or more specific a "salsa" style melodyst and soloist.

Music should be part of your life
http://www.soundclick.com/blackcatjazzcafeband
Band-in-a-Box Wishlist
J
Journeyman
Journeyman
J
Quote:

I posted a new wish for a "latin" or more specific a "salsa" style melodyst and soloist.

It would be nice to see many more styles and style subsets included in the melodists. I'd like to see a Country category with many more options that now exist. And I imagine many more styles could be added. I don't think the melodists have changed in quite some time. Thanks..

Band-in-a-Box Wishlist
Expert
Expert
It would be nice to improve the stylepicker to include All the styles present in BIAB, including the user styles.

Reach for excellence
Band-in-a-Box Wishlist
Expert
Expert
Real MIDI styles
For new MIDI styles, it would be nice to get Live MIDI styles, that means styles recorded live with MIDI instruments and with no or very few quantization, mainly for drums, piano, bass and guitar.

Reach for excellence
Band-in-a-Box Wishlist
Expert
Expert
Velocity Compressor/Expander
It would be useful to get a velocity compressor/expandor for any MIDI track. Feature could be applied on a selectable part of a track or on the whole track (parameters could be : from…to…, choice of the track#, velocity center value, velocity offset, level 0 to 100%). It would be used to add or reduce dynamics on MIDI tracks of a song. It's the equivalent of audio compressor/expander.

Reach for excellence
Band-in-a-Box Wishlist
Expert
Expert
ADVANCED HOLD CHORDS
For hold chords (on last bar of a section, or final hold chord for example), it would be nice to have the possibility to get an arpeggiated chord for an instrument, either piano or guitar, rather than a plain straight chord. This user option could be accessed via F5 key. For that, we can imagine, in the stylemaker, specific arpeggio hold chords for the piano and others for the guitar. It would add professionnal musicality to the BIAB performance.

Reach for excellence
Band-in-a-Box Wishlist
jhg Offline
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Quote:

This problem happens with some songs, not others. I can't figure out why. When I copy a chorus section with melody and lyrics in an unfolded song to a later part of the song and insert bars at destination, I get a window with the question: "There are existing melody notes/lyrics in the region that you are copying the melody to. Would you like to delete them?" Whether I answer yes, the "Copy From ...To" copies the melody to the new bars, but leaves the chords and lyrics blank. Also, why would it ask me if I want to delete existing melody notes and lyrics where I'm copying to when I select the option to paste to newly inserted bars?
To make it really complicated, if you answer the question-- "No, don't delete the melody notes or lyrics" then it doubles the words in the from location so you end up with a jumbled up mess for lyrics, but no lyrics in the to location.
If this doesn't happen to you, keep trying other songs. You will stumble on this if you write a lot of lyrics with Band in a Box. I called support about this a couple of versions ago and sent them my song example--- I got no resolution to this.
Please fix this. It will take some time to isolate the problem. I certainly can't figure out what's going on.

--- Jim

O.K., I found the problem-- I hope this saves someone some time. I was using the old method of copying a song section to another section of the song. (Select bars, then Edit/Copy From.. To..) With some songs, this caused the problem outlined in the above quote. Now, after reading page 114 of the BIAB 2012 User Manual, I use the new method for more consistent results. (<cntrl> drag a bar number to a later bar number) In the dialog that appears, click "Insert Bars at destination" and press OK. Again, two windows come up saying there are existing melody notes and lyrics in the destination point, and asks should I delete them. Answer YES to both questions. Now my song section copies with melody notes and lyrics intact the way I want them. The problem of existing melody notes and lyrics still comes up in some songs, but this method works every time.

Band-in-a-Box Wishlist
Expert
Expert
It would be great to bring back the MIDI chorus control in the main page of BIAB, as for the reverb control. Present way to manage the chorus settings is really not handy.

Reach for excellence
Band-in-a-Box Wishlist
S
S
How about a feature in Powertracks that allows you to adjust timing in individual tracks in real time? This could dial in the feel of the song.

Band-in-a-Box Wishlist
L
L
I would like a button, close to the play button, that sends mod wheel information 127 to every track, when the song is playing.

This is only a problem if you, like me, use the Melodist feature.

I like Garritans JABB. JABB uses mod wheel info for volume. (Yes, It's a feature not a bug.) However, BiaB (if you use the Melodist feature) creates mod wheel information on the melody track which are hard to take away. The event edit list does not show all information on channel 4 (which, I believe, is the melody track). Hence, when I listen to a song in BiaB through JABB I must manually adjust mod wheel information, in order to here the JABB notes. And if I pause the song, I have to manually adjust mod wheel information again.

Lennart Christianson

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To
Page 4 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Video: Volume Automation in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created a video to help you learn more about the Volume Automation options in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows.

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Volume Automation

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#volume-automation

Video: Audio Input Monitoring with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created this short video to explain Audio Input Monitoring within Band-in-a-Box® 2024, and included some tips & troubleshooting details too!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Audio Input Monitoring

3:17: Tips
5:10: Troubleshooting

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#audio-input-monitoring

Video: Enhanced Melodists in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®!

We've enhanced the Melodists feature included in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows!

Access the Melodist feature by pressing F7 in the program to open the new MultiPicker Library and locate the [Melodist] tab.

You can now generate a melody on any track in the program - very handy! Plus, you select how much of the melody you want generated - specify a range, or apply it to the whole track.

See the Melodist in action with our video, Band-in-a-Box® 2024: The Melodist Window.

Learn even more about the enhancements to the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024upgrade/chapter3.htm#enhanced-melodist

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Specifically for Reaper®

New with the DAW Plugin Version 6.0, released with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows: the Reaper® Panel!

This new panel offers built-in specific support for the Reaper® DAW API allowing direct transfer of Band-in-a-Box® files to/from Reaper® tracks!

When you run the Plugin from Reaper®, there is a panel to set the following options:
-BB Track(s) to send: This allows you to select the Plugin tracks that will be sent Reaper.
-Destination Reaper Track: This lets you select the destination Reaper track to receive media content from the Plugin.
-At Bar: You can select a bar in Reaper where the Plugin tracks should be placed.
-Start Below Selected Track: This allows you to place the Plugin tracks below the destination Reaper track.
-Overwrite Reaper Track: You can overwrite previous content on the destination Reaper track.
-Move to Project Folder: With this option, you can move the Plugin tracks to the Reaper project folder.
-Send Reaper Instructions Enable this option to send the Reaper Instructions instead of rendering audio tracks, which is faster.
-Render Audio & Instructions: Enable this option to generate audio files and the Reaper instructions.
-Send Tracks After Generating: This allows the Plugin to automatically send tracks to Reaper after generating.
-Send Audio for MIDI Track: Enable this option to send rendered audio for MIDI tracks.
-Send RealCharts with Audio: If this option is enabled, Enable this option to send RealCharts with audio.

Check out this video highlighting the new Reaper®-specific features: Band-in-a-Box® DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Specifically for Reaper®

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Video

The new Band-in-a-Box VST DAW Plugin Verion 6 adds over 20 new features!

Watch the new features video to learn more: Video: Band-in-a-Box® 2024 - DAW Plugin Version 6 New Features

We also list these new features at www.pgmusic.com/bbwin.plugin.htm.

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,391
Posts732,462
Members38,441
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
Ernest J, ingridguerci94, Izzy, BenChaz, Csofi
38,440 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 195