Print Thread
Go To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#226134 12/06/13 11:04 AM
User Showcase
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
One of the great things about BIAB is finding ways to change/improve an old song.
I had always performed this one as a mid-tempo "country pop ditty".
Kind of on the "lighter" side.
As I was looking for an electric guitar for the chorus, I began auditioning different tracks.
I often try dozens, looking for the right thing.
Often, listening to tracks whose name would indicate "no way" will that work...
Something about the StoneZ Honky guitars caught my attention for this...
...which sent the song in a whole new direction.
And gave it new life (for me)...

So, let's rock a little...

RealTracks in song: 995:Bass, Electric, HardRockLA Ev 120
RealTracks in style: ~496:Guitar, Electric, Rhythm StoneZ Honky 1 Ev 120
RealTracks in style: ~502:Guitar, Electric, Rhythm StoneZ Honky 2 Ev 120
RealTracks in song: 861:Guitar, Electric, Rhythm HardRockWaltzSustainHeld Ev 140
RealTracks in song: 1726:Piano, Acoustic, Rhythm HonkyTonkJohn Ev 120
RealTracks in style: 1563:Piano, Acoustic, Rhythm BritBluesInvasionJohn Ev 120
RealTracks in song: 1171:Guitar, Electric, Soloist RockUpbeatBrent Ev 140
RealDrums in style: RockClassicBritEv^1-a:Snare, Closed HiHat , b:Snare, Ride Bell

THIS LOVE THING

it doesn't come with a money-back guarantee
there's no happily-ever-after warranty
it doesn't come with instructions
or incantations to recite
but i think i've finally got this love thing right

i don't know how to fix my car when it breaks
some people make a lot of money, but i don't know what that takes
i can't dance the rhumba
i ain't much in a fight
but i think i've finally got this love thing right

(chorus)
i've got this love thing right
it didn't happen overnight
i've had my share of falls
before i fell for you
but now i've got this love thing right
swear i'm gonna hold on tight
girl, you're living proof
i've got this love thing right

i catch my breath every time you step through that door
you're just what they made forever for
i've got rainbows every morning
i sing to full moons every night
i think i've finally got this love thing right

repeat chorus

Crank it! Comments encouraged...

floyd

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Excellent rocking tune. Guitars are excellent. Excelleing singing as well

Scott Collingwood
https://soundcloud.com/scottt709
https://soundcloud.com/spiritlevel-ca
https://www.youtube.com/@SpiritLevel-ge3hm/
User Showcase
ROG Offline
Veteran
Veteran
Hey Floyd, What a great start to the weekend!

A fabulous track of what I would call "Fairground Music". I could just imagine listening to this whilst riding the Roller Coaster or Speedway. I swear I could smell the hot-dogs while listening to it.

But Floyd, where was the guitar solo - the sort that makes your ears bleed?

All the technical stuff was, of course, perfect.

ROG.

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
I cranked it and my ears are still bleeding!!
So, looking at the tracks used, us Brits have still got some Rock left in us, have we??!!
lol!!
What a brill Rocker!
I agree with Rog - give Brent his head in a solo break. I THINK my monitors can stand it!!
ACE !!!
cheers
ian

Old Guys Rule.The older I get,the better I was!
BB2023 ULTRA, 1013, Win 7 and 10

ALL TRACKS - https://app.box.com/s/501rnzrbadng1elvi45hbf7y08kl5oxp
SOUNDCLOUD-tracks using BB-
http://soundcloud.com/sixchannel
Videos-
https://youtube.com/user/Sixchannel1
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Floyd have you been sneaking down to the roadhouse again to let yo bad self rocker come out and play.... LOL!

Seriously, cool job using those Honky tracks. I agree with ROG. Gives it a cut loose good time feel.

Party on.

Josie

PS. +1 on the solo.

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Hey Floyd, Now my headphones are smokin. You are a first class songwriter. I like the interesting chord choices in the chorus. The lyrics are great as usual. You are such a natural singer. It always sounds effortless and you can hear the fun in your voice. I listened earlier but did not have the time to comment. The first thing I was going to say was where is the solo? It is short enough so there is room time wise. I am very glad that the others also noticed this. Then i started thinking of a lot of great songs that don't have an instrumental break, so I guess it is just a preference. Now I will stick my nose in where it doesn't belong. The guitar on the right side in the beginning is too loud. It throws the balance off. When the piano comes in on the right and the guitar backs off it balances back out. Maybe the pan is too far right,it doesn't sound like the left guitar is panned all the way left. Could be my blown out sense of hearing also. I hope my comments don't take away from a great effort. I can't imagine this tune in any other style. Another Great Floyd Jane Production! Rock on, Tom

User Showcase
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Scott - thanks for the listen and nice comments.

ROG - So the mix is okay on the Tannoy's? I was trying to get it as "rockin'" as possible... As I mentioned this had always been a "pop ditty" kind of thing and didn't lend itself to a lead really. And that is how I set it up when I put the chords into BIAB. It started out with easy drums and acoustic guitars. It wasn't until I hit the StoneZ guitar that Mr. Hyde appeared. I then found a style that used that guitar which brought in different drums and piano.. And I just went on from there. If it had started as the rocker it turned into, I would have probably added a lead section.... Now that I think about it, I should have gotten hold of Tommy and see if he'd do like he did on "Bad Enough"...

Ian - thanks! (see response to ROG regarding missing lead smile )

Josie - I do seem to be rockin' out a bit more these days... was never able to do that before (myself) - "the band" has a lot of things up their sleeves!!! Thanks for the listen!

User Showcase
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Tom - no one ever has to worry about stickin' their nose in... I welcome it... I re-mixed - brought the guitar down a touch (not much - it's rock-n-roll!) and slide it over some...

If you happen back by, let me know how that sits...

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Hi, Floyd !

It is darn obvious you got that love thing right !:)) (lol) !
I loved to hear you get that love thing right !:))

Cheers
Dani

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
floyd, that's the thang. it sits better at 2 o'clock than 5. And thanks again for your help on that other song. Tom

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Hi Floyd,

this really rocks!
Like your lyrics, vocals and harmony.
I enjoyed listening to this one as I did to your others.

Guenter

User Showcase
Expert
Expert
Very Stones Floyd. Your vocals are goodly strong. Good rocking.

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
"i've got rainbows every morning
i sing to full moons every night"

In a pre-digital world I envision you late at night in your music room immersed up to your ears in in reams of paper -- each one containing one or more lyric gems than I'll create in a life time.

As far as the vocal, production and arrangement goes I could just cut and paste my comments from ALL of your previous posts. They are consistently superior.

User Showcase
Expert
Expert
well you got the Stones-thing right that's for sure

"I had always performed this one as a mid-tempo "country pop ditty"." I think can imagine the song this way, strumming on an acoustic guitar.

I especially like how you drop out instruments in the last verse, and also the "power" reverb brick wall outro

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Yeah man!

Not only do you have the love thing right, you also have the song-writing thing right, thr lyrics-crafting thing right, the mixing and mastering thing right, the singing-performing thing right, and the PR part right!

You are the whole package, the consummate music-making pro!

And you're still a nice guy, too!!

LOVE THING O METER
wrong_________/_RIGHT!

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Great work Floyd. lesson to self "be more creative with my choice of real tracks"". Thanks for that lesson!

LyricLab A.I assisted chords and lyric app. Export lyrics and import directly into Band-in-a-Box 2024.
https://lyriclab.net
Play-along with songs you know and love, download SGU files
https://playiit.com/
User Showcase
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Tom - forget to say before... thanks for all those nice things you said.. and for taking the time to address issues in the mix...

Dani - thanks for the listen...

User Showcase
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Guenter - appreciate it.

Richard - thanks for dropping by...

Bud - thanks, man...

Lawrence - glad you found some things to like here..

User Showcase
Expert
Expert
You really got it crankin' on this one Floyd. Brilliant lyrics (my favorite: it doesn't come with instructions
or incantations to recite.
but i think i've finally got this love thing right.)

And that dead stop ending. Damn, that'll put you through the windshield alright.

Dean

User Showcase
Journeyman
Journeyman
Floyd,

I'll just 2nd what's already been said. Another excellent effort all around!

We keep saying this... But isn't BIAB the coolest songwriting tool ever! cool

Greg

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Band-in-a-Box® 2024 Review: 4.75 out of 5 Stars!

If you're looking for a in-depth review of the newest Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows version, you'll definitely find it with Sound-Guy's latest review, Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows Review: Incredible new capabilities to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs.

A few excerpts:
"The Tracks view is possibly the single most powerful addition in 2024 and opens up a new way to edit and generate accompaniments. Combined with the new MultiPicker Library Window, it makes BIAB nearly perfect as an 'intelligent' composer/arranger program."

"MIDI SuperTracks partial generation showing six variations – each time the section is generated it can be instantly auditioned, re-generated or backed out to a previous generation – and you can do this with any track type. This is MAJOR! This takes musical experimentation and honing an arrangement to a new level, and faster than ever."

"Band in a Box continues to be an expansive musical tool-set for both novice and experienced musicians to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs, as well as an extensive educational resource. It is huge, with hundreds of functions, more than any one person is likely to ever use. Yet, so is any DAW that I have used. BIAB can do some things that no DAW does, and this year BIAB has more DAW-like functions than ever."

Happy Easter! Holiday Hours...

2024 is well underway - it's already Easter Weekend!

Our Customer Service hours this weekend are:

Friday, March 29: 8-4
Saturday, March 30: 8-4
Sunday, March 31: closed

Regular hours resume Monday, April 1st - no joke!

Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Video: Volume Automation in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created a video to help you learn more about the Volume Automation options in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows.

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Volume Automation

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#volume-automation

Video: Audio Input Monitoring with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created this short video to explain Audio Input Monitoring within Band-in-a-Box® 2024, and included some tips & troubleshooting details too!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Audio Input Monitoring

3:17: Tips
5:10: Troubleshooting

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#audio-input-monitoring

Video: Enhanced Melodists in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®!

We've enhanced the Melodists feature included in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows!

Access the Melodist feature by pressing F7 in the program to open the new MultiPicker Library and locate the [Melodist] tab.

You can now generate a melody on any track in the program - very handy! Plus, you select how much of the melody you want generated - specify a range, or apply it to the whole track.

See the Melodist in action with our video, Band-in-a-Box® 2024: The Melodist Window.

Learn even more about the enhancements to the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024upgrade/chapter3.htm#enhanced-melodist

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,396
Posts732,514
Members38,442
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
danielsk, Mark Morgan, zagrajbarke, Ernest J, Izzy
38,442 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 195