Index
Next Thread
Print Thread
Go To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
In reply to Pat (I double-checked to make sure I'm not confusing him with someone else grin ):

“Its really a question of censorship on the forum, and which group gets to decide what's not allowed. We've had this discussion several times , and it always ends up that we decide censorship is not what we want...”

Pat, I don't see a post where anyone has called for 'censorship'. Several people commented on the content, language and propriety of the song posted by the OP.

One of Noel's comments was:

“I cannot agree with nor support the views your lyrics express.”

I see no desire to censor, merely a personal statement of opinion. In fact, Noel continues by saying:

“...it has every right to be posted here. ...”

He follows that by saying:

“...Lyrically, I don't think that PG Music's forums are the place for this song.”

Again; opinion. Then, he actually says:

“That's just my view, though. Ultimately, PG Music will make the decision.”

Again; no call for 'censorship'. Only a statement of opinion. I'm not aware of anyone notifying the mods. I know I certainly didn't. I abhor censorship.

“It is another situation in which two groups having opposing and irreconcileable opinions fight for control of the forum.”

I don't see anyone fighting for 'control' of the forum. I don't even see “two groups”; just individuals expressing an opinion on a song that was posted to invite comment and opinion.

“All comments/suggestions appreciated.”

When one posts a song about a 15 year old being seduced by his 32 year old teacher, one should expect controversy. I believe that was the actual intent of the OP.

“The most peaceable response when you don't like a post or a song, is to skip over it.”

Obviously, my responses were the least 'peaceable' of all. Certainly not as peaceable as those who commented on the “grey area” and “relativity” and the definition of “prepubescent”. It is just this sort or moral ambiguity that I find reprehensible, and if someone posts such controversial material, I believe that I have the right, and indeed the responsibility, to comment on it.

I am no 'Puritan', though I do confess to being a gasp....”Christian”; so yes, my views are informed by my belief system. I never have and never will attempt to impose my beliefs on anyone. I could care less what transpires between two consenting adults. I do, however, draw the line at the exploitation of children, whatever the arbitrary age of majority, and reserve my right to comment on it.

Just my opinion; no more valid than anyone else's.

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Quote:
Pat, I don't see a post where anyone has called for 'censorship'. Several people commented on the content, language and propriety of the song posted by the OP.

You're right, there hasn't been an explicit request for censorship... but when the main points of a discussion pertain to ideology and what's appropriate in the forum, it's generally done to set boundaries. And in a text-based community, boundaries are enforced by rules that censor whatever form of communication has been deemed unacceptable by the most influential group.

The difference between a fight and a discussion is that discussion has a point.

If your point is that the post shouldn't be allowed, then we ARE talking about censorship, we just haven't said it aloud yet.

If your point is that you don't like it but he has a right to post it, one post would have accomplished that. (and I think it is good to do that, BTW)

Maybe I'm wrong here, and this is just one of those healthy expressions of different points of view. If so, then take what I said as yet another opinion.

FWIW, if we HAD to take sides, I would be on your side. The whole point of my post is to avoid polarizing the forum over ideology.

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
“You're right, there hasn't been an explicit request for censorship... but when the main points of a discussion pertain to ideology and what's appropriate in the forum, it's generally done to set boundaries. And in a text-based community, boundaries are enforced by rules that censor whatever form of communication has been deemed unacceptable by the most influential group.”

So in the absence of an “explicit” request for censorship, you choose to invent one to satisfy your desire to be hall monitor? Knock yourself out, man.

In future, I will keep my opinions to myself. Problem solved.

User Showcase
Expert
Expert
No, I wanna be the hall monitor! Over at JPF, I deleted a song that had an old guy (~50) professing his love to a young girl (~16) and was trying to get together with her even though "everyone said it was wrong". It was just too dang creepy and perverted. Yup, censorship!

This song is different. It is about a past event from the "victim's" viewpoint. However, I don't feel any connection with the writer or the older lover. Therefore I am not invested in either one of them and my overall reaction to the song is sort of "OK, how's the music?" Doesn't do much for me either, so I cut it off.

Now at bandcamp: Crows Say Vee-Eh @ bandcamp or soundcloud: Kevin @ soundcloud
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Quote:
.. a song about a 15 year old being seduced by his 32 year old teacher ..

I guess I missed the 'teacher' part.

Oh, wait, I didn't ..
It said it was summer. Not a time to be meeting a teacher.

It does say "she would meet me after class'. Anybody can meet me after class .. it means the writer went to class, not the other party. It infers after school. (note, the fact it was summer and after class was one of the story's weak points)

It also repeats "I’ll be your teacher and your sister
and your lover and your mother"
I didn't assume any of them were literal or we'd be having an incest discussion too.

If it were a teacher, you are right; there is a whole different aspect (covered by law by the way).

I only posted originally to make a point that true pedophilia usually isn't used when it is a 15 yr old, but the discussion has taken a lot of interesting turns.

Believe me, I'm not on the side that opposes your point of view, I simply don't see the lyrics saying what you say they are saying. Just how I read it.

Make your sound your own!
.. I do not work here, but the benefits are still awesome
User Showcase
Journeyman
Journeyman
As far as I can see there are no sides going on here. I wish people would stop using the term.

All that has happened is some thought the lyrics were about a particular theme and others thought they weren't. Period! And that perhaps some posts were a bit of an over-reaction.

NO-ONE as far as I can see anyway, is even suggesting that paedophilia should be somehow condoned!!!!

So please, there are no sides going on here, so nobody needs to choose a captain or play the "party politics" wink

User Showcase
L
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
L
Hmmm! Disturbing. Maybe not advocating a crime but certainly on the fringe.

Though your lyrics allude to a "she" I can't help but think "she" is more like Lola in the song from the Kinks.

User Showcase
L
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
L
Hmmm! Disturbing. Maybe not advocating a crime but certainly on the fringe.

Though your lyrics allude to a "she" I can't help but think "she" is more like Lola in the song from the Kinks.

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
This ones not for me.
The BIAB part is fine, its the subject matter.
Ian

Old Guys Rule.The older I get,the better I was!
BB2023 ULTRA, 1013, Win 7 and 10

ALL TRACKS - https://app.box.com/s/501rnzrbadng1elvi45hbf7y08kl5oxp
SOUNDCLOUD-tracks using BB-
http://soundcloud.com/sixchannel
Videos-
https://youtube.com/user/Sixchannel1
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Update Your PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 Today!

Add updated printing options, enhanced tracks settings, smoother use of MGU and SGU (BB files) within PowerTracks, and more with the latest PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 update!

Learn more about this free update for PowerTracks Pro Audio & download it at www.pgmusic.com/support_windows_pt.htm#2024_5

The Newest RealBand 2024 Update is Here!

The newest RealBand 2024 Build 5 update is now available!

Download and install this to your RealBand 2024 for updated print options, streamlined loading and saving of .SGU & MGU (BB) files, and to add a number of program adjustments that address user-reported bugs and concerns.

This free update is available to all RealBand 2024 users. To learn more about this update and download it, head to www.pgmusic.com/support.realband.htm#20245

The Band-in-a-Box® Flash Drive Backup Option

Today (April 5) is National Flash Drive Day!

Did you know... not only can you download your Band-in-a-Box® Pro, MegaPAK, or PlusPAK purchase - you can also choose to add a flash drive backup copy with the installation files for only $15? It even comes with a Band-in-a-Box® keychain!

For the larger Band-in-a-Box® packages (UltraPAK, UltraPAK+, Audiophile Edition), the hard drive backup copy is available for only $25. This will include a preinstalled and ready to use program, along with your installation files.

Backup copies are offered during the checkout process on our website.

Already purchased your e-delivery version, and now you wish you had a backup copy? It's not too late! If your purchase was for the current version of Band-in-a-Box®, you can still reach out to our team directly to place your backup copy order!

Note: the Band-in-a-Box® keychain is only included with flash drive backup copies, and cannot be purchased separately.

Handy flash drive tip: Always try plugging in a USB device the wrong way first? If your flash drive (or other USB plug) doesn't have a symbol to indicate which way is up, look for the side with a seam on the metal connector (it only has a line across one side) - that's the side that either faces down or to the left, depending on your port placement.

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows® Today!

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows for free with build 1111!

With this update, there's more control when saving images from the Print Preview window, we've added defaults to the MultiPicker for sorting and font size, updated printing options, updated RealTracks and other content, and addressed user-reported issues with the StylePicker, MIDI Soloists, key signature changes, and more!

Learn more about this free update for Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/support_windowsupdates.htm#1111

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 Review: 4.75 out of 5 Stars!

If you're looking for a in-depth review of the newest Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows version, you'll definitely find it with Sound-Guy's latest review, Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows Review: Incredible new capabilities to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs.

A few excerpts:
"The Tracks view is possibly the single most powerful addition in 2024 and opens up a new way to edit and generate accompaniments. Combined with the new MultiPicker Library Window, it makes BIAB nearly perfect as an 'intelligent' composer/arranger program."

"MIDI SuperTracks partial generation showing six variations – each time the section is generated it can be instantly auditioned, re-generated or backed out to a previous generation – and you can do this with any track type. This is MAJOR! This takes musical experimentation and honing an arrangement to a new level, and faster than ever."

"Band in a Box continues to be an expansive musical tool-set for both novice and experienced musicians to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs, as well as an extensive educational resource. It is huge, with hundreds of functions, more than any one person is likely to ever use. Yet, so is any DAW that I have used. BIAB can do some things that no DAW does, and this year BIAB has more DAW-like functions than ever."

Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,577
Posts734,609
Members38,497
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
DerFlex, xabialonso259@gmai, Tony1234, trustedmedications, MAJORKEY
38,496 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 194