Band-in-a-Box for Windows
N
newbert Offline OP
Apprentice
OP Offline
Apprentice
N
Originally Posted By: Larry Kehl
Try these simple things before you do any more installs/de-installs.

First is BIAB working? I'm not following thread on all the installs-uninstalls here so am confused on where you are at moment.

Assuming BIAB is working (get it working first)next question: is SampleTank working, independent of and EXTERNAL from BIAB. That is, run the "SampleTank 2.5.exe" from where ever that is (SHOULD be in C:\IK Multimedia\SampleTank 2.5 folder) and make sure it runs and is regsitered and no IK issues.

If and once BOTH of those things are working then go find TWO directories:

1. find the IK Multimedia subdirectory called "\Instruments" - WHERE EVER that is but should be on your C drive at C:\Program files (x86)\IK Multimeda given what you said above), and

2. find the \Band-in-a-box\ directory (which has the sub folders I listed before: Drums, Bass, Guitars, etc.). Now that directory could\ should be SOMEWHERE under your C:\Program Files (X86)\ somewhere if I followed your above statements correctly

Next, and for now COPY, do not move, the \Band-in-a-Box\ directory to the \Instruments\ folder from step 1.

Next RUN SampleTank, again external from BIAB, this time in the Sampletank GUI find and click on "PREFS" (middle right hand side small print).

Then click on "Browse" button and point to the Instruments directory from step 1. And also click and turn on the "Relist on Startup" - you can turn that off later after things have stabilized.

Now run BIAB and see if it can't find the Hi-Q sounds?

let us know what happens

Good Luck
Larry

Hi Larry. Thanks for trying to help me out. I'm also not clear on what I've installed now. Basically I had installed everything to the harddrive, and the Hi-Q files could not be found by Sampletank. It was suggested that I re-install over the existing installation, but this time leaving the Realtracks, etc on the USB hard drive. (I believe that this is the second option on the setup list.) I did this,but now I'm not clear where BIAB thinks the Realtracks are located (I never erased them from the laptop hard drive).

To answer your questions - Yes. BIAB works and Sampletank runs (externally), is registered and there is no IK issue.

I copied the files over exactly as you suggested and pointed Sampletank to them. ....and it still can't access the Hi-Q files.

I'm about ready to give up and start over fresh by deactivating/uninstalling BIAB completely. Then do a full reinstall to the hard drive putting everything in it's default locations.

If I do that, do I need to de-activate Sampletank too? (I'm concerned that I've already activated it a number of times and might be refused.) If so, how do I do that?

Thanks.

Kawai VPC1 MIDI Controller; Asus A53E Laptop running Windows 7 - 64 bit; BIAB 2017 UltraPlusPak (upgraded from 2014 EverythingPak), running from Laptop's Hard Drive.
Veteran
Veteran
I Did not install from USB HDD (x:\PGMusic\Installers\hi-q_instruments_sampletank_01-02.exe).

I ONLY used the downloaded "hi-q_instruments_sampletank_02.exe" installer

So maybe we are on to something??

Maybe the USB drive installer has corrupt .tgs files, or other errors, because if you look at posts seems like a few folks here are starting to trickle in Hi-q issues.

Also didn't actual sink in what you and Jazz and OP was saying about the "++" not found thing (because I don’t have/see that error I couldn't relate)

larry

Win10Pro,i9,64GB,2TBSSD+20TBHDDs,1080TI,BIAB'24,Scarlett18i8,Montage7,Fusion 8HD,QS8,Integra7,XV5080,QSR,SC-8850,SPLAT,FL21&others,Komp.14,IK suite&others, just a guitar player-AXE FX III &FM9T, FishmanTP, MIDIGuitar2, GK2/3'sw/GI20
Veteran
Veteran
you DO NOT need to uninstall SampleTank, this is NOT a ST issue.

I also don't think you need to uninstall BIAB either - stby a little while (this is starting to look like a HI-Q installer issue only)

Larry

Win10Pro,i9,64GB,2TBSSD+20TBHDDs,1080TI,BIAB'24,Scarlett18i8,Montage7,Fusion 8HD,QS8,Integra7,XV5080,QSR,SC-8850,SPLAT,FL21&others,Komp.14,IK suite&others, just a guitar player-AXE FX III &FM9T, FishmanTP, MIDIGuitar2, GK2/3'sw/GI20
M
Mac Offline
Veteran
Veteran
M
I Did not install from USB HDD (x:\PGMusic\Installers\hi-q_instruments_sampletank_01-02.exe).

I ONLY used the downloaded "hi-q_instruments_sampletank_02.exe" installer

So maybe we are on to something??

Nope. Somewhere up above, I mentioned that I, too was at first working off of the downloaded install.

It was not until this morning that I tried installing off of usb hard drive. Exact same results.

Quote:
Also didn't actual sink in what you and Jazz and OP was saying about the "++" not found thing (because I don’t have/see that error I couldn't relate)

larry

Yeah, that was apparent to me, which is why I took the bit of time to post the screenshot.

--Mac

Veteran
Veteran
well I'm stumped

It is not an issue with the USB hard disk drive installer for HI-Q "x:\PGMusic\Installers\hi-q_instruments_sampletank_01-02.exe" I just ran it

ALL it does is install the (.stw, .stip, .sth, and .sti files) to the \Band-in-a-Box\ sub-directory of where ever I tell it. It does NOT install the DX Setting folder or add any files to it!

And it's not the USB HDD "BB\DX Settings" folder or contents because I copied those files over mine and everything is good. I even INSTALLED them (using the custom install and selecting ONLY the option:

"Install and Register DX\VST plugins"

And then only the sub-item "SampletTank TGS files and presets"

Installing BIAB, in it's entirety, from my USB to trouble any further is pointless, since my USB now (and within two days of having it) reflects my DESKTOP files not the files as shipped (long story on how I do things). Most of the installs only COPY files from USB to desktop anyway and they all work (since from my working desktop) so no gain or insight from myself at least - sorry

This will end up being a TRIVIAL "fix" I know it.

But as a two data points - for whomever:

On my Win 7 64 Desktop, I have BB and IK stuff 100% installed on my D drive (as described in my not so useful posts). Everything works!

On my Win XP Laptop I have BB installed in a subdirectory of C:\ called Music "C:\Music\bb\..." and the SampleTank stuff is installed in the default C:\Program Files\IK Multimedia folder BUT all the instrument subfolders (I do mean all of them) are installed in actual ST executable folder (sloppy I know but that's me) so - the BIAB HI-Q "stuff" is in folder at:

C:\Program Files\IK Multimedia\SampleTank 2.5\Band-in-a-box\

And it all works there as well.

I will ponder some more (but I think I now need a Scotch)

Larry

Last edited by Larry Kehl; 12/14/13 01:50 PM.

Veteran
Veteran
Mac, Newbert, Jazz:

Dumb question:

Once you have SampleTank open from within BIAB, forget about this or that Hi-Q not being seen by BIAB, can you see, select, and PLAY the all HI-Q sounds directly? (the various sounds under the ST browser under Band-in-a-box (Bass or Piano or World or..)

Preferbly using the DXi instrument NOT the VSTi (but remember the DXi is a little "hinky" so may get a crash or two.

Last edited by Larry Kehl; 12/14/13 02:33 PM.

N
newbert Offline OP
Apprentice
OP Offline
Apprentice
N
Mac, Newbert, Jazz:

Dumb question:

Once you have SampleTank open from within BIAB, forget about this or that Hi-Q not being seen by BIAB, can you see, select, and PLAY the all HI-Q sounds directly? (the various sounds under the ST browser under Band-in-a-box (Bass or Piano or World or..)

Preferbly using the DXi instrument NOT the VSTi (but remember the DXi is a little "hinky" so may get a crash or two.

Larry, I'm willing to try that out and report back, but I need a little guidance. -- First, how do you open the SampleTank interface from within BIAB? And then, exactly how do I try to play the Hi-Q sounds directly from within the interface?

I know how to open the ST interface by opening it externally, but I've never done it from inside BIAB. All I've ever done regarding Hi-Q files in BIAB is to use the command "Select Hi-Q MIDI Synth Patch...".

BTW - I don't think that the problem is with the Hi_Q installer on the USB drive. I installed BIAB2014 from the USB drive on both my desktop PC and my laptop PC (albeit to different drive letters). They work fine (assuming there are a total of 27 files?) on my desktop PC. But the laptop PC can't seem to access them. <shrug>

I'll hold off doing a total BIAB reinstall on the laptop as long as this thread continues to explore other solutions.

Thanks.

Kawai VPC1 MIDI Controller; Asus A53E Laptop running Windows 7 - 64 bit; BIAB 2017 UltraPlusPak (upgraded from 2014 EverythingPak), running from Laptop's Hard Drive.
Veteran
Veteran
Hi Bert,

Here's how to put Realtracks back to playing from the hard drive.

Go to Opt | Preferences and then select the 'Realtracks' button ( #1 - 3).

Now deactivate "Use a custom folder location" (#4) and then click on "Update" (#5). Exit using OK (not Cancel) and restart BIAB.

That should do the job.

If the above doesn't bring joy, simply activate the "Custom Folder" (#4), click on the folder that will appear where #6 is and then navigate to "d:\bb\Realtracks". Now click "OK" and then "Update". Exit using OK and restart BIAB.

Regards,
Noel

MY SONGS...
Audiophile BIAB 2024
Veteran
Veteran
Bert,

I've prepare some images and put them up to show you how to use Sampletank manually.

I'm posting this so that Mac and Larry will know that I'm working on it.

Back soon,
Noel

MY SONGS...
Audiophile BIAB 2024
N
newbert Offline OP
Apprentice
OP Offline
Apprentice
N
Interesting Discovery --- Have you seen this thread?: http://www.pgmusic.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=228205&gonew=1#UNREAD

It was suggested to start BIAB under "Run as Administrator", so I tried it. Staring BIAB that way , I get about four Hi-Q files that can be accessed. When I run BIAB "straight", I get none.

I don't get why this works for some files and not others. Never seen anything like it, but perhaps this provides a clue? Or just deepens the mystery.....

N
newbert Offline OP
Apprentice
OP Offline
Apprentice
N
Originally Posted By: Noel96
Bert,

I've prepare some images and put them up to show you how to use Sampletank manually.

I'm posting this so that Mac and Larry will know that I'm working on it.

Back soon,
Noel

Thanks, I'll keep an eye out for it.

Veteran
Veteran
Hi Bert,

Let's start from the top.

1. Double-check that you have your system set up for VST/DXi.

Click "Prefs" (#1). Select "MIDI Driver" (#2). Select "Microsoft GS Wave Table Synth" (#3) and activate the two checkboxes shown as #4.

2. Now click on button #5 in the image above.

The following will open (ignore that I have the Edirol VSC/DXi loaded as default - that's the orange and blue looking synth you partly see in the image).

Select "Default Synth" (#1). Click on the dropdown menu (#2) and Select "Coyote WT" (#3).

Once the above is done, you're synth setup should look like below.

I'll now continue in a separate post below. (This should make it easier to work through.)
Noel

MY SONGS...
Audiophile BIAB 2024
Veteran
Veteran
While we wait for Noel to post instructions with pics on how to open ST (pics always better than words) yes, I have seen that thread but I just assumed most folks ran everything as admin - I don't run my PC's any other way.

Not being admin causes way too many of these strange kinds of problems (can't write this or that, can't run this or that, and the not so hidden and sometimes not obvious results of this are programs that hang up, you get errors, crashes, lose work, …)

Life is too short to let MS, or the other "my way or highway" lemmings at "Appleway" think for me or try and be police for me.

there were similar issues last year (with first HI-Q set) but they were all fixed IIRC in simply moving the \Band-in-a-Box\ folder up, down or over one level (I don't remember) - this year seems a lot more "involved" for some reason

Another thread from last year

http://www.pgmusic.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=200806

Sums up nicely where/how these multiple ST files work (at least for me and the poster from last year) that's why when even Mac has issues with this, he's no novice on PC's, DAWS, PC sound, or BIAB I'm a little suspicious on where fault actually lies. That is, while it might be simple fix it might nto be an obvious one.

Last edited by Larry Kehl; 12/14/13 04:20 PM.

Veteran
Veteran
... continuing on ...

PREPARATION

1. Firstly, let's load a MIDI style that has a piano part on the Piano track.

Open up Stylepicker and select show "All styles"

Scroll down the list of styles in the Stylepicker window until you get to the MIDI style shown below.

Now load in the demo song for that style ...

... click ok and go back to the chord sheet.

SETTING SAMPLETANK TO THE 'PIANO' TRACK

Get to the VST/DXi window shown in my above post.

• Recap: to do that, it's Prefs | MIDI Driver and then click on the button number #5 in my previous post - this button should have "Coyote WT" as part of its title now.

When you've reached the Window that shows Coyote WT

(a) click on the Piano button (#1)
(b) select the dropdown menu (#2)
(c) select "<VSTi> Sampletank2.x" (#3)

It's also possible to select "<DXi> Sampletank2.x" as an alternative. Since Larry recommends the VSTi, let's use that. On my computer, it takes around 30 seconds to load.

(As a side note, I think if the DXi is selected, its sounds are saved when the song file is saved. I'm not sure about this, though, as I tend to use the synths in a DAW rather than BIAB)

Your synth window should now look like the below. Your color is probably red. I changed my color to green because it was easier on my eyes.

NOW LET'S CHECK INSTRUMENT PATHS

(a) On the right side of the Sampletank window, click on "PREFS" (#1).
(b) When the "Preferences" window opens, click on "Browse".
(c) Navigate to where the Sampletank instruments are filed (#3).

As you can see, all my instruments are in the folder "Program Files \ IK Multmedia \ Instruments". Since you have 64-bit operating system, you need to look in "c:\program files(86) \ IK Multimedia". The instruments may be under "Instruments" or they may be under "... \ IK Multimedia \ Sampletank 2.5 \ Instruments".

The thing is that wherever they are, you need to choose the directory that houses them all. For me, since all my files are in the "... Instruments" subfolder, that's the one I need to choose. I do not choose the "Band In A Box" subfolder.

Click OK and OK again.

SETTING AN INSTRUMENT ON THE PIANO TRACK

1. Since the Piano Track is set to MIDI channel 3, select MIDI Channel 3 in Sampletank by clicking on it.

2. Now click on the dropdown arrowhead (#2) for "Sampletank 2 Sounds" and then click on the dropdown arrowhead (#3) for Piano. Double click on one of the pianos. (I chose HQ Free Piano.)

3. The piano sound will then be loaded on MIDI channel 3 (as shown below)

4. Click on the red cross at the upper right corner of the VST/DXi window to close it.

5. Generate the song and let it play.

If you want to check whether or not Sampletank is working, Open the VST/DXi using #1 and #2 in the below image.

Click on the Piano button in the VSTi window and you should see volume movement under the "Level" column shown below.

Hope this helps!
Noel

MY SONGS...
Audiophile BIAB 2024
Veteran
Veteran
Noel

You're doing a great job with the how to pics here but wouldn't get wrapped around axel on styles, saving, editing, etc.

Just picking ONE sound at a time, on one part for one fixed non-changing channel, as boring as that is, until he/they have cycled though all 27 HI-Q sounds under the Band-in-a-Box folder.

Create the default BIAB song with a C chord in 4/4 time for JUST piano is good enough for this exercise.

This at least confirms and lets them know they have the HI-Q SOUNDS and THEY work, if the USER picks/inserts them "manually." It's just the "automagic -click and it gets inserted by BIAB" that needs worked on (by PG at this point).
Larry

Last edited by Larry Kehl; 12/14/13 05:01 PM.

Veteran
Veteran
Thanks, Larry. I appreciate the input.

MY SONGS...
Audiophile BIAB 2024
Veteran
Veteran
Once Newbert gets that much - he can then, in real time, click on the "Band-in-a-box" sub-folder (assuming he sees it and has done a refresh from ST "prefs" to ensure he sees it) in that right hand SampleTank instrument window/list and start "doubling clicking" each BIAB HI-Q sound

and as FYI Newbert - they WILL NOT SAY they say "Hi-q" in the list or when loaded into ST slot

Veteran
Veteran
No thank you! I could sit here and type words all day (that's why i never taught math - I can do it but teaching it requires a differnt skill set)

your 1,2,3, with clear concise words and pics is so much better

Now let's see what happens

BTW are all your HI-Q items working after this 2014 install?

Larry

Veteran
Veteran
Hi Larry,

I haven't yet checked all my Hi-Q instruments. I've noticed that some seem to be having problems with the Acoustic Piano. I'll have a bit of a play around later today and check my 2014 behaviour against the list of new Hi-Q instruments. I'll let you know.

Thanks for all your information in this thread. You've opened a door to things I didn't know. I appreciate it.

All the best,
Noel

MY SONGS...
Audiophile BIAB 2024
Veteran
Veteran
Bert,

LASTLY ...

If you need to remove Sampletank from the Piano track, simply go to the VST/DXi window ...

(a) Select Piano (#1)
(b) Click on the dropdown menu (#2)
(c) Select 'None' (#3)
(d) Click the red cross (upper right corner) to close the window.

Regards,
Noel

MY SONGS...
Audiophile BIAB 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Update Your PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 Today!

Add updated printing options, enhanced tracks settings, smoother use of MGU and SGU (BB files) within PowerTracks, and more with the latest PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 update!

Learn more about this free update for PowerTracks Pro Audio & download it at www.pgmusic.com/support_windows_pt.htm#2024_5

The Newest RealBand 2024 Update is Here!

The newest RealBand 2024 Build 5 update is now available!

Download and install this to your RealBand 2024 for updated print options, streamlined loading and saving of .SGU & MGU (BB) files, and to add a number of program adjustments that address user-reported bugs and concerns.

This free update is available to all RealBand 2024 users. To learn more about this update and download it, head to www.pgmusic.com/support.realband.htm#20245

The Band-in-a-Box® Flash Drive Backup Option

Today (April 5) is National Flash Drive Day!

Did you know... not only can you download your Band-in-a-Box® Pro, MegaPAK, or PlusPAK purchase - you can also choose to add a flash drive backup copy with the installation files for only $15? It even comes with a Band-in-a-Box® keychain!

For the larger Band-in-a-Box® packages (UltraPAK, UltraPAK+, Audiophile Edition), the hard drive backup copy is available for only $25. This will include a preinstalled and ready to use program, along with your installation files.

Backup copies are offered during the checkout process on our website.

Already purchased your e-delivery version, and now you wish you had a backup copy? It's not too late! If your purchase was for the current version of Band-in-a-Box®, you can still reach out to our team directly to place your backup copy order!

Note: the Band-in-a-Box® keychain is only included with flash drive backup copies, and cannot be purchased separately.

Handy flash drive tip: Always try plugging in a USB device the wrong way first? If your flash drive (or other USB plug) doesn't have a symbol to indicate which way is up, look for the side with a seam on the metal connector (it only has a line across one side) - that's the side that either faces down or to the left, depending on your port placement.

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows® Today!

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows for free with build 1111!

With this update, there's more control when saving images from the Print Preview window, we've added defaults to the MultiPicker for sorting and font size, updated printing options, updated RealTracks and other content, and addressed user-reported issues with the StylePicker, MIDI Soloists, key signature changes, and more!

Learn more about this free update for Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/support_windowsupdates.htm#1111

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 Review: 4.75 out of 5 Stars!

If you're looking for a in-depth review of the newest Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows version, you'll definitely find it with Sound-Guy's latest review, Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows Review: Incredible new capabilities to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs.

A few excerpts:
"The Tracks view is possibly the single most powerful addition in 2024 and opens up a new way to edit and generate accompaniments. Combined with the new MultiPicker Library Window, it makes BIAB nearly perfect as an 'intelligent' composer/arranger program."

"MIDI SuperTracks partial generation showing six variations – each time the section is generated it can be instantly auditioned, re-generated or backed out to a previous generation – and you can do this with any track type. This is MAJOR! This takes musical experimentation and honing an arrangement to a new level, and faster than ever."

"Band in a Box continues to be an expansive musical tool-set for both novice and experienced musicians to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs, as well as an extensive educational resource. It is huge, with hundreds of functions, more than any one person is likely to ever use. Yet, so is any DAW that I have used. BIAB can do some things that no DAW does, and this year BIAB has more DAW-like functions than ever."

Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,587
Posts734,746
Members38,500
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
Krystal Mcclain, Tusar Sarkar, RTW, wtsy365, DerFlex
38,500 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 191