You need to be logged in to post
Options
Index
#228542 - 12/15/13 09:30 PM [User Showcase] My Tune Sadieita - as a demo
Frankp Offline
Apprentice

This recording was done as a demo for my band mates when I was in a Latin band. The band liked it but things broke up before we ever got a chance to use it.

I used BIAB, MIDI written in Sibelius and me playing the guitar parts. As this is a demo, I didn't spend any time "sculpting" the midi, rather it was just notation dumped into my DAW

Flute - all midi
Vibes, some midi, some BIAB
Congas, All BIAB
Guitar, all me
Drums, a little midi, mostly BIAB
Bass, some midi, some BIAB

My favorite part is the Tutti section around 3:30

https://app.box.com/s/g3pbaq46x1lc8f05v0gh

Some tunes from me and my collaborator: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCvGqM6ktMW5ltTnyit1KWPg/videos

Band-in-a-Box Ultrapak 2019, Windows 10, Reaper, Behringer u-phoria UMC404HD, Kali LP-8

#228583 - 12/16/13 01:37 AM [User Showcase] Re: My Tune Sadieita - as a demo [Re: Frankp]
Loc: Melbourne, Australia
VideoTrack Offline
Veteran

Loc: Melbourne, Australia
Wow Frank!

I really like that, nice smooth build at the start, really clean guitar, and nice timing on the unison's with both guitar and bass.

What synth did you use for the flute, and did you use a breath controller at all?

Any more where that came from? I could listen all day!
BIAB & RB2021(Audiophile), SonarPlatinum, Izotope Prod.Bundle, Roland RD-1000, Synthogy Ivory, Kontakt, Focusrite 18i20, KetronSD2, NS40M StudioMonitors, Pioneer Active Monitors, AKG K271 Studio H'phones

#228590 - 12/16/13 01:58 AM [User Showcase] Re: My Tune Sadieita - as a demo [Re: Frankp]
Loc: Australia
Noel96 Offline
Veteran

Loc: Australia
Hi Frank,

This is great!

I love the chord progression that starts at 2:08.

Did you use any Realtracks with this? From what I read above, it sounds likes it's all midi and you playing guitar. If that's the case, the midi is incredibly realistic. You must have a pretty awesome soft synth!

This is definitely a composition to be proud of.

All the best,
Noel

#228604 - 12/16/13 05:17 AM [User Showcase] Re: My Tune Sadieita - as a demo [Re: Frankp]
Loc: Helsinki, Finland
dani48 Offline
Veteran

Loc: Helsinki, Finland
Hi, Frank !

I share what Noel has said about this tune !:))
and I liked your guitar playing very much too !!!:))

Cheers and Merry Xmas
Dani

#228632 - 12/16/13 08:14 AM [User Showcase] Re: My Tune Sadieita - as a demo [Re: Frankp]
Loc: Edmonton, Ab, Canada
Scott C Online   content
Veteran

Loc: Edmonton, Ab, Canada
Very enjoyable listen. Nice guitar work. Thanks for sharing

#228651 - 12/16/13 09:53 AM [User Showcase] Re: My Tune Sadieita - as a demo [Re: Frankp]
Loc: Canyon Lake, TX
Steve Young Offline
Expert

Loc: Canyon Lake, TX
Hi Frank,

+1. Nice, enjoyable listen.

Steve

#228686 - 12/16/13 12:40 PM [User Showcase] Re: My Tune Sadieita - as a demo [Re: Frankp]
Loc: Karlsruhe, Germany
boehm Offline
Veteran

Loc: Karlsruhe, Germany
Hi Frank,

just great throughout.
Merry Christmas

Guenter

#228687 - 12/16/13 01:03 PM [User Showcase] Re: My Tune Sadieita - as a demo [Re: Frankp]
Loc: Florida
tommyad Offline
Veteran

Frank, Great playing. Nice Production and great chord progression. Outstanding work. Tom

#228710 - 12/16/13 03:36 PM [User Showcase] Re: My Tune Sadieita - as a demo [Re: Frankp]
floyd jane Offline
Veteran

Frank,

Terrific instrumental! It just wraps you up and takes you away...

The mix is tasty. Everything in the perfect place - everyone plays a vital part. Your guitar work fit seamlessly.

Could not believe when it finished - it was 5 minutes... felt like 2 - THAT is an accomplishment.

Excellent.

floyd

#228946 - 12/17/13 11:28 AM [User Showcase] Re: My Tune Sadieita - as a demo [Re: Frankp]
Loc: GA USA
Janice & Bud Offline
Veteran

Loc: GA USA
I can't add anything to the above comments -- just a big PLUS ONE regarding all of them. Fine playing and a cool progression just holds you there.

#229038 - 12/17/13 06:12 PM [User Showcase] Re: My Tune Sadieita - as a demo [Re: Frankp]
Frankp Offline
Apprentice

Hi All, I really appreciate the kind and encouraging comments. This really a great community, isn't it?

To some questions:

@ videotrack:

- The flute (as is the bass) is from a softsynth called Dimension pro.
- You ask of any other tunes... Here's one I posted on this forum http://www.pgmusic.com/forums/ubbthreads...4964#Post214964

@ Noel

Yes I used realtracks, I recorded this a while ago but took a look this morning...
- Drums, all real tracks.
- Bass, mostly real tracks except where I needed specific lines which were notated and played by softsynths.
- Congas, all real tracks.
- Vibes, mostly real tracks except where I needed specific parts which were notated and played by softsynths.
- Guitars, I played those.

- Yes, for me this was very much a "composition". I started with notation. I only brought to the studio musician rhythm section, (BIAB), at the end of the process.

Thanks again all for listening.

Edited by Frankp (12/17/13 06:13 PM)

Some tunes from me and my collaborator: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCvGqM6ktMW5ltTnyit1KWPg/videos

Band-in-a-Box Ultrapak 2019, Windows 10, Reaper, Behringer u-phoria UMC404HD, Kali LP-8

#229528 - 12/19/13 10:45 AM [User Showcase] Re: My Tune Sadieita - as a demo [Re: Frankp]
aleck rand Offline
Expert

Frankp,

Just terrific - you're the real deal, man. Latin Jazz on the BIAB User's Forum?? Unheard of.

So I'm gonna help out. Latin Jazz is one of my absolute favorites (along with hard bop - the BlueNote/Prestige recordings of the 60's, and lately I've been starting to like some "Smooth Jazz" - even though most of these tunes run on one chord). I notice you going a little "outside" in your solo and few guitarists have figured out how to do that.

Impressive.

Aleck Rand (aka Dean Clark)
Sweetwater Creation Station. BIAB 2018, Mixcraft 8 Pro Studio, Izotope Nektar 2, Ozone 8, KEYBOARDS: Kurzweil Artis 7, Crumar MOJO, Hammond XK-3, BASSES (fretted & fretless by Ibanez, LTD, Warwick. GUITARS by Guild, Gretsch, Ibanez, Eastwood (12 string)

#229594 - 12/19/13 03:18 PM [User Showcase] Re: My Tune Sadieita - as a demo [Re: Frankp]
Loc: Florida, USA
cubanpete Offline
Expert

Loc: Florida, USA
Aha! Loved it! Nice and almost seamless fusion between Rts and midi. Liked the drum brakes towards the minute four, very neat.

Mike B.

#229614 - 12/19/13 04:38 PM [User Showcase] Re: My Tune Sadieita - as a demo [Re: Frankp]
Guitarhacker Offline
Veteran

Nice mixing of the synths and BB tracks.

Enjoyed it.

I started to really get into the bossa beats and other latin grooves when I first got BB.

Add nothing that adds nothing to the music.

As the sword chooses the warrior, so too, the song chooses the writer.

#231746 - 12/30/13 04:09 PM [User Showcase] Re: My Tune Sadieita - as a demo [Re: floyd jane]
Loc: Originally Missouri ... Now Al...
Al-David Offline
Veteran

Loc: Originally Missouri ... Now Al...
Originally Posted By: floyd jane
Frank,

Terrific instrumental! It just wraps you up and takes you away...

The mix is tasty. Everything in the perfect place - everyone plays a vital part. Your guitar work fit seamlessly.

Could not believe when it finished - it was 5 minutes... felt like 2 - THAT is an accomplishment.

Excellent.

floyd

I think Floyd said it all. I don't know what I could add to that. 'Cept maybe the twinning of the guitar and flute. that was a super fantastic listen. We love Latin Jazz and this is a classic cut. I've run out of superlatives. *I'll just say that Di and I totally loved it...awesome piece!

Al & Di

Loops: https://aldavidmusic.wixsite.com/bestmusicloops

#231765 - 12/30/13 04:42 PM [User Showcase] Re: My Tune Sadieita - as a demo [Re: Frankp]
Loc: United Kingdom
Paul Haynes Offline
Journeyman

Loc: United Kingdom
Great recording, has a real pro sound to it. Well done.

#231911 - 12/31/13 09:56 AM [User Showcase] Re: My Tune Sadieita - as a demo [Re: Frankp]
Loc: New Jersey
robsmusic Offline
Journeyman

Loc: New Jersey
I like this composition a lot!
Nice bossa sound.
What does the title mean? Is that a person's name?

#264265 - 10/03/14 12:40 AM [User Showcase] Re: My Tune Sadieita - as a demo [Re: Frankp]
Loc: Iceland
Icelander Offline
Veteran

Loc: Iceland
Latin Jazz is one of my top favourite things, and you sure capture it well. And that manipulation of real versus midi throughout is just....

#264324 - 10/03/14 02:11 PM [User Showcase] Re: My Tune Sadieita - as a demo [Re: Frankp]
Loc: Davis, CA
Greg Johnson Offline
Veteran

Loc: Davis, CA
Great stuff!! Really cool feel, and KILLER guitar! Great track. Great work all around!! Take care. Greg

PG Music News
RealBand® Works Great in Windows® 11!

Here's an introductory look at RealBand® running on the preview version of Windows® 11!

Watch the video.

Customers LOVE Band-in-a-Box® 2021!

Check out some of the latest Band-in-a-Box® feedback we've received:

"There's a saying 'Give a man a fish, feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish, feed him for a lifetime.' That's exactly what my friend did in 1990. He taught me how to use BIAB and I've used it hundreds of time to do arraignment and to jam with any style band."

"Love BIAB. I use it daily. Their support is great too!"

"RealTracks are amazing!!! I use BIAB for backtracks in my solo act... Still using the basic package and it's all need..."

"I have used Band in A Box for many years. If it would have been around when I was young, I would have been a much better musician. I use it for all my songs I have written and recorded. With Band In A Box I can sit in my room and sound like a whole band without having to put up with them!"

"If you know something about music and take the time to learn the program, you can make it do some amazing things. It is a great help to songwriters who want to demo their song without paying for studio time. It makes changes and tweaks much easier as well."

"Been using it for so many years. It's a great tool. The instruments that I don't have or play make up the void and it saves so much time. I use this program for every song I write."

"Great tool for the songwriter!"

"An essential part of my studio! I write songs on piano, but I'm not a pianist by a long way. BIAB is like having a roomful of session players in your studio, and just the simple act of taking your basic idea and hearing a skilled pianist play it presents so many new ideas and options you hadn't thought of."

"Powerful, easy to use, inexpensive and they even split the modest payments up if you want. No complaints. Lots of satisfaction."

"I added a steel guitar to a fully produced original. He followed every change like he was in the studio reading the chart. Fascinating technology!"

"I have used it to make backing tracks for six CD's with about 12 songs on each. They make a great gift!"

"It's simply a necessity - buy it now - the staff and support do a great job as well!"

"A great tool for us songwriters!"

"I LOVE Band-in-a-Box!"

"I see it as a very worthwhile investment. In fact, from initial purchase about 8 years ago, using the backing tracks I have made, my income from that investment has returned over 5,000% on the investment!"

continued...

Do you have something to say about Band-in-a-Box®? Post your own thoughts for Windows or Mac version today!

Band-in-a-Box® - Boxing Clever - Sound on Sound #TBT

Did you know that Band-in-a-Box® is more than 30 years old? I stumbled across this 1990 magazine article explaining the relatively new program, and think it's an enjoyable read for any Band-in-a-Box user - it really shows that we are always listening to user feedback when developing our program!

Read the article: Boxing Clever: Band-In-A-Box Software

A few of my favorite statements:

"The intention of PG Music's Band-In-A-Box package is to couple that speed and convenience with the improved flexibility of the personal computer. Versions are available for the Atari ST, Mac, and PC compatibles. Have the programmers succeeded? And can they rid themselves of the stigma of the auto-accompaniment section? Given the above state of affairs, the first hurdle that the program has to overcome is one of acceptance and, frankly, a name like 'Band-In-A-Box' is a bad start."

(I think our name was a great start!)

"The final results are, to say the least, impressive. Band-In-A-Box achieves something that most hardwired auto-accompaniment sections have never been able to do - inject a degree of feel into the music. It really does sound more human than so many of the computer generated pieces I've heard."

"...I'm quite convinced that PG Music will have a winner on their hands. This is one piece of software that you can get more out of than you put in."

#TipTuesday Convert RealDrums to MIDI!

Did you know that you can convert RealDrums to MIDI?

VintageGibson shared this tip to our Tips & Tricks forum, which is a great place to look for program tips from other Band-in-a-Box users!

Read this handy trick.

Have a program tip or trick of your own? Share it on our Tips & Tricks forum today!

Band-in-a-Box® 2021 Italian for Mac is Here!

Abbiamo lavorato tanto e abbiamo aggiunto 80 nuove funzionalità e una straordinaria collezione di nuovi contenuti, tra cui 202 RealTracks, nuovi RealStyles, SuperTracks MIDI, Studi Strumentali, Performance degli Artisti, Bonus RealDrums "Singoli", trascrizioni RealDrums, MultiStyles PAK 1, Xtra Styles PAKs 10 e 11, e altro ancora!

Pacchetti | Nuove Caratteristiche

Export / Print a List of Selected Styles (Band-in-a-Box®)

Did you know that you can export a list of your Styles from Band-in-a-Box®?

Head to this forum post in our "Tips & Tricks" forum, where VideoTrack shares another handy tip for Band-in-a-Box® users!

Band-in-a-Box® Chord List Resource

Ever wonder which chords are supported in Band-in-a-Box®? Access the information from the Help file in the program, or read through the list with our Online Manual!

Chord List - Mac Online Manual
Chord List - Windows Online Manual

Review the other Reference topcs while you're there - with explanations of the different menus and the Keystroke Commands (Hot Keys), you'll definitely learn something new!

Forum Stats
34913 Members
66 Forums
70929 Topics
614543 Posts

Max Online: 2537 @ 01/19/20 07:09 AM
Newest Members
Frank Lennon, Roofus53, Didou59, Jief, SolarSystem

34912 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
swingbabymix 225
VideoTrack 223