Index
Next Thread
Print Thread
Go To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Off-Topic
Apprentice
Apprentice
Sounds to me like you have a pretty good handle on the elements - one of the hugest keys is the one you've already discovered; namely, turn down the gain! Once you have that, you have the secret Now don't tell anyone

I do try to give advice, though because of the specific nature of what I do with guitar I'm going to be giving advice based on analogue stuff, not modellers. In your current situation, that might not be very helpful for you. I do know, having had them, that Bassmans are great with pedals Maybe it's time you started using that thing again!

As for the presets, I looked through the list, and not having the device myself I'd guess the Boogie preset is likely early-santana; as for Gilmour, probably one of the fuzz lead or strat-stack settings I'm just guessing, of course.

If you ever need anyone to listen to the guitar tracks, lemme know. I'm always willing to give some commentary, and I'm sure I can be nice

Finding your own voice is a very brave thing to do. Clearly I chickened out and chose a path where I wouldn't have to, but it sounds like you have the right idea. Don't be afraid to experiment! You might find that your voice sort of sneaks up on you

-----
Do you love the Floyd as much as I do? If so, click away the moments that make up the dull day: www.canadianpinkfloyd.com
Off-Topic
Ryszard Offline OP
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Quote:

The roland V-guitar stuff is simply amazing. I find it too complicated for my tastes, to be honest.

rocky,

It's not actually that complex; it's just that you have to get at everything--and there is a lot of it--through that tiny little interface. There's a bit of freeware, the V-Editor (currently at v. 0.51), that brings everything to the PC monitor, where you can manipulate each piece in the chain as if it were before you. ('Course, all the FX look like Roland stomp boxes, but hey . . .)

R.

"My primary musical instrument is the personal computer."
Off-Topic
Ryszard Offline OP
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Quote:

I do try to give advice, though because of the specific nature of what I do with guitar I'm going to be giving advice based on analogue stuff, not modellers.

Josh,

The thing about emulators that most folks don't seem to get is that it might as well be the real thing--right down, sometimes, to amp noise and hum. Sometimes more real; I created a patch I call "HyperStrat". It's an idealized clean Strat with chorus, reminiscent of Craig Chaquico's acoustic sound.

Keep giving your advice; it's all valuable and valid.

R.

Off-Topic
Apprentice
Apprentice
Thanks, R I don't have anything personal against modelers - I simply don't have any use for them currently. That being said, I have ordered one of those nice Line 6 keyboard/interface thingies for jotting down song ideas at home, so pretty soon I'll probably be asking you for advice It's a fact that every year the technology gets better and better. As far as guitar playing mumbo-jumbo goes, I just don't "feel" it with modelers yet... But in time, I'm sure they'll figure that out and then I won't have to haul hundreds of pounds of gear everywhere I go ha ha.

And don't even talk to me about hum That is my personal nightmare (strat + a billion effects + multiple old amps = noise noise noise!). If they keep hum out of the models I'm happy!

-----
Do you love the Floyd as much as I do? If so, click away the moments that make up the dull day: www.canadianpinkfloyd.com
Off-Topic
Ryszard Offline OP
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Quote:

And don't even talk to me about hum That is my personal nightmare (strat + a billion effects + multiple old amps = noise noise noise!). If they keep hum out of the models I'm happy!

I still have an Ibanez NS-10 noise reduction stomp box. I used to use it on the Ibanez; now I use it on my Wish "Hyper" bass, with its low-end EMG "Select" (ha!) single-coil pickup. Enough with the having to stand facing just north of east (or just south of west) to minimize the buzz, already.

R.

Off-Topic
Apprentice
Apprentice
Oh, I've tried pretty much every stomp box. My next plan is to get my tech to put FX loops in my amps, and then get a nice rack-mount of some description. Onward and upward!

Funny about standing a certain way - I played a gig in Vancouver once where it appeared that the street-car wires running right beside the stage were causing problems. I had to orient myself _very_ precisely. Definitely a day where I wished I had humbuckers.

-----
Off-Topic
M
Mac Offline
Veteran
Veteran
M
Quote:

As far as describing sound using regular old english words, Ryszard, I say go for it. Guitarists will know what you mean, and I don't think you can get it across any other way. I hate to disagree with Mac, but when someone tells me they want a "warm" guitar sound, I know pretty much exactly what they mean - sure, they might need to clarify a bit, but I know how to get in the ballpark. If you've been playing guitar for 40 years, you probably know too

Ah, but you SUPPORT what I said most definitely.

That last sentence says it all. You are able to interpret "warm" into the technical parts of the thing that you KNOW will translate to that, and it is due to those 40 years of experience.

Still, different guitarists will have something different to say (and do, equipment and signal-chain wise) when confronted with the "warm" request. Me, first thing is to get on the neck pickup. I have a good friend who can play "warm" on the bridge pickup, though, and that's due mostly to his abilities, which started at fast chickin' pickin' and branched out from there. I once joked to Stu that every guitar looked like a Telecaster to him. He retorted that every Tele looked like a Jazzbox to me. If you know what I mean and I think Josh do.

I turn 58 this September, darn, let's count 'em up, lessee, I was about 12 when I seriously started workin' out on the gutstring, by the end of that year I had my first electric plank. 'Twas a Sears & Roebuck Danelectro with the amp-in-the-case...

--Mac

Off-Topic
Expert
Expert
Not that it will help but for electric guitar I find the Line 6 amp is a real doozy.

My website to hear my stuff-

http://www.edbulmer.com/

guitar player, vocalist, sailor
Off-Topic
R
Veteran
Veteran
R
Quote:

Quote:

The roland V-guitar stuff is simply amazing. I find it too complicated for my tastes, to be honest.

rocky,

It's not actually that complex; it's just that you have to get at everything--and there is a lot of it--through that tiny little interface. There's a bit of freeware, the V-Editor (currently at v. 0.51), that brings everything to the PC monitor, where you can manipulate each piece in the chain as if it were before you. ('Course, all the FX look like Roland stomp boxes, but hey . . .)

R.

Maybe we are talking about two different boxes. I'm talking about a Roland V-Guitar box and a Godin that has the midi pickups built in. I don't know what model it was that he had. It's a table-top device, not a foot pedal thing. Glen has his mounted on a stocky cymbal stand.

The V-Guitar interface let's you move pickup locations along the length of the string, change pickup types, change tuning, etc. besides what you would expect with an amp simulator. Glen didn't show me the PC interface.

The number of parameters that you can change is mind boggling. It was incredibly fun auditioning the presets, but I didn't have time to study it in detail. It was WAY too tempting to just mess around. I fell into this 'just playing around' mode with soft synths several years ago.

Shoot, just the air controller (I don't know what Roland calls it) was way too fun to mess around with. The thing where you can wave your hand over the light controller and use it as a modulator, that was fun to play with.

We were going to practice something - pick a song and learn it, but we ended up just auditioning presets and patches that Glen had made. Pretty soon, it was time for me to go home for the night. Like a moth to the flame, that kind of thing with so many parms is too tempting to me to just play with instead of play.

-Scott

Off-Topic
Ryszard Offline OP
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Awwww, so you have to play with it. Poor baby! *g*

I have the VG-88 floor unit; he has the newer VG-99 rack/tabletop/mic stand form. Yeah, it's a guitar emulator--not just amps and FX. You can mix and match body types and pickups, create bodies and pickup placements that don't exist in the real world, create altered tunings which you can change at a touch, pan stereo strings, blah blah blah. There's nothing else like it.

The -88 will accept up to eight external switches or pedals in addition to the two onboard; his likely will, too. The -99 has a built-in pitch-to-MIDI converter, though, and mine doesn't. Just one more thing.

The air thingie is called the D-Beam, an infrared sensor built into the V-Synth and I guess other things, too. A friend of mine has one. He often sets up behind me when we play. I'll turn around and see him waving his right hand in the air and think he's conducting, until I connect it with the modulation that's happening. It's fraffly kewl.

R.

Off-Topic
M
Mac Offline
Veteran
Veteran
M
He can hook up MIDI controller pedal switches to the '99 if he so chooses, many live performers and studio cats do.

--Mac

Off-Topic
Ryszard Offline OP
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Quote:

The V-Guitar interface let's you move pickup locations along the length of the string, change pickup types, change tuning, etc. besides what you would expect with an amp simulator. Glen didn't show me the PC interface.

The number of parameters that you can change is mind boggling. It was incredibly fun auditioning the presets, but I didn't have time to study it in detail. It was WAY too tempting to just mess around. I fell into this 'just playing around' mode with soft synths several years ago.

rsn,

Have your friend look for the V-Editor ver 0.51. It's a graphic interface that lets you SEE most of what goes on inside the VG. For instance, I found several FX chains in which the noise suppressor was in the wrong place, so I moved it to the end where it belonged.

It's old PC freeware, it's a little flaky--mine crashes when I try to save sysex files, but it syncs and saves individual patches fine--but just looking at individual patches on your monitor gives a better understanding of what's going on inside that Black Box.

I had a little trouble getting it (I had to sign up on a board where the moderator never responded; I think someone here sent it to me in the end) so I can email it if either of you likes. It requires MIDI I/O to save, load, and synchronize.

R.

Off-Topic
Apprentice
Apprentice
The noise suppressor is intended to be used in Front of the signal chain to clean up input noise. Putting it on the back will work if you've overused gain and distortion settings and created noise BUT if you've used time oriented effects such as reverb and delay you will effectively cut off their tails muy pronto.

I don't have a midi pickup but I wouldn't think they are noisy. Are they noisy? If not then the noise comes from the amp and distortions you are building. Many presets have noise because they're overdone for the marketing guys. Learn to develop your own by starting from scratch and you'll be much further ahead in the art.

DTuna
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
User Video: Next-Level AI Music Editing with ACE Studio and Band-in-a-Box®

The Bob Doyle Media YouTube channel is known for demonstrating how you can creatively incorporate AI into your projects - from your song projects to avatar building to face swapping, and more!

His latest video, Next-Level AI Music Editing with ACE Studio and Band-in-a-Box, he explains in detail how you can use the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box with ACE Studio. Follow along as he goes from "nothing" to "something" with his Band-in-a-Box MIDI Melodist track, using ACE Studio to turn it into a vocal track (or tracks, you'll see) by adding lyrics for those notes that will trigger some amazing AI vocals!

Watch: Next-Level AI Music Editing with ACE Studio and Band-in-a-Box

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 German for Windows is Here!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 für Windows Deutsch ist verfügbar!

Wir waren fleißig und haben über 50 neue Funktionen und eine erstaunliche Sammlung neuer Inhalte hinzugefügt, darunter 222 RealTracks, neue RealStyles, MIDI SuperTracks, Instrumental Studies, "Songs with Vocals" Artist Performance Sets, abspielbare RealTracks Set 3, abspielbare RealDrums Set 2, zwei neue Sets von "RealDrums Stems", XPro Styles PAK 6, Xtra Styles PAK 17 und mehr!

Paket | Was ist Neu

Update Your PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 Today!

Add updated printing options, enhanced tracks settings, smoother use of MGU and SGU (BB files) within PowerTracks, and more with the latest PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 update!

Learn more about this free update for PowerTracks Pro Audio & download it at www.pgmusic.com/support_windows_pt.htm#2024_5

The Newest RealBand 2024 Update is Here!

The newest RealBand 2024 Build 5 update is now available!

Download and install this to your RealBand 2024 for updated print options, streamlined loading and saving of .SGU & MGU (BB) files, and to add a number of program adjustments that address user-reported bugs and concerns.

This free update is available to all RealBand 2024 users. To learn more about this update and download it, head to www.pgmusic.com/support.realband.htm#20245

The Band-in-a-Box® Flash Drive Backup Option

Today (April 5) is National Flash Drive Day!

Did you know... not only can you download your Band-in-a-Box® Pro, MegaPAK, or PlusPAK purchase - you can also choose to add a flash drive backup copy with the installation files for only $15? It even comes with a Band-in-a-Box® keychain!

For the larger Band-in-a-Box® packages (UltraPAK, UltraPAK+, Audiophile Edition), the hard drive backup copy is available for only $25. This will include a preinstalled and ready to use program, along with your installation files.

Backup copies are offered during the checkout process on our website.

Already purchased your e-delivery version, and now you wish you had a backup copy? It's not too late! If your purchase was for the current version of Band-in-a-Box®, you can still reach out to our team directly to place your backup copy order!

Note: the Band-in-a-Box® keychain is only included with flash drive backup copies, and cannot be purchased separately.

Handy flash drive tip: Always try plugging in a USB device the wrong way first? If your flash drive (or other USB plug) doesn't have a symbol to indicate which way is up, look for the side with a seam on the metal connector (it only has a line across one side) - that's the side that either faces down or to the left, depending on your port placement.

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows® Today!

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows for free with build 1111!

With this update, there's more control when saving images from the Print Preview window, we've added defaults to the MultiPicker for sorting and font size, updated printing options, updated RealTracks and other content, and addressed user-reported issues with the StylePicker, MIDI Soloists, key signature changes, and more!

Learn more about this free update for Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/support_windowsupdates.htm#1111

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 Review: 4.75 out of 5 Stars!

If you're looking for a in-depth review of the newest Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows version, you'll definitely find it with Sound-Guy's latest review, Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows Review: Incredible new capabilities to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs.

A few excerpts:
"The Tracks view is possibly the single most powerful addition in 2024 and opens up a new way to edit and generate accompaniments. Combined with the new MultiPicker Library Window, it makes BIAB nearly perfect as an 'intelligent' composer/arranger program."

"MIDI SuperTracks partial generation showing six variations – each time the section is generated it can be instantly auditioned, re-generated or backed out to a previous generation – and you can do this with any track type. This is MAJOR! This takes musical experimentation and honing an arrangement to a new level, and faster than ever."

"Band in a Box continues to be an expansive musical tool-set for both novice and experienced musicians to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs, as well as an extensive educational resource. It is huge, with hundreds of functions, more than any one person is likely to ever use. Yet, so is any DAW that I have used. BIAB can do some things that no DAW does, and this year BIAB has more DAW-like functions than ever."

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,631
Posts735,243
Members38,521
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
SYOTR, Bpnsrinu, DanyLevy, vasilich, maxrob61
38,520 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 185