You need to be logged in to post
Options
Index
#231758 - 12/30/13 04:23 PM [User Showcase] The Heavens Proclaim (Original Song)
Loc: United Kingdom
Paul Haynes Offline
Journeyman

Well there are so many good songs going up by others that I would like to join in the fun. This is my 2nd original song. Enjoy.

https://soundcloud.com/devonbiker/the-heavens-proclaim

Made with...
Lots of hours of trial n error
A less than perfect singer
Deep pockets
Band in a Box
Ezdrummer, EZkeys, EZmix
Studio One Pro

I'm on a journey so this song may improve as I get better, but for now it's not a bad start.

#231801 - 12/30/13 07:16 PM [User Showcase] Re: The Heavens Proclaim (Original Song) [Re: Paul Haynes]
Loc: Edmonton, Ab, Canada
Scott C Offline
Veteran

Loc: Edmonton, Ab, Canada
Very enjoyable song. That it had a bit of a latin feel at the first. Excellent singing as well

#231833 - 12/30/13 10:40 PM [User Showcase] Re: The Heavens Proclaim (Original Song) [Re: Paul Haynes]
Loc: Alabama, USA
Al-David Offline
Veteran

Hi Paul...

We really enjoyed this one. That powerful kickoff with the percussions was great! We think that this is a really terrific Contemporary Christian song. It's strong musically and the lyric is current and well-written. That hint of Latin is perfect.

A tip of the hat from us for a job well done!

Loops: https://aldavidmusic.wixsite.com/bestmusicloops

#231862 - 12/31/13 03:26 AM [User Showcase] Re: The Heavens Proclaim (Original Song) [Re: Paul Haynes]
Paul Haynes Offline
Journeyman

Thanks Al-David & Scott709 I do appreciate your kind comments especially from people who are much further down the road than I am.

I just listened to that song on my iPhone & iPad. Wow not so good, vocals seem a bit shaky and somewhat raw. It's hard to mix for all the varieties of speakers people will listen on and maintain a good overall sound. Anyone else include listening through a mobile device when mixing?

Edited by PaulH (12/31/13 03:34 AM)

#231867 - 12/31/13 04:57 AM [User Showcase] Re: The Heavens Proclaim (Original Song) [Re: Paul Haynes]
Loc: Helsinki, Finland
dani48 Offline
Veteran

Loc: Helsinki, Finland
Hi, Paul !:))

A very nice tune
excellently performed !:))
You have a good voice Paul !:))

Cheers
Dani

#231886 - 12/31/13 07:58 AM [User Showcase] Re: The Heavens Proclaim (Original Song) [Re: Paul Haynes]
Loc: Florida
tommyad Offline
Veteran

Loc: Florida
Paul, The vocal is very good. I like the song and the production is also very good. Nice job. i liked the delay on the vocal at 3:10. The congas are just right for this one. Good Job! Tom

#231907 - 12/31/13 09:41 AM [User Showcase] Re: The Heavens Proclaim (Original Song) [Re: Paul Haynes]
Loc: New Jersey
robsmusic Offline
Journeyman

Loc: New Jersey
Nice! I like the feel of the rhythm.
Song has a strong gospel message.

If you don't mind, I noticed one place that the lyric might improve. Verse 1 and verse 2 seem to be saying the same thing. A rewrite of one of those verses might make the song stronger, but I'm no expert! smile

I like the bass and conga breakdown at the end.

#231909 - 12/31/13 09:50 AM [User Showcase] Re: The Heavens Proclaim (Original Song) [Re: Paul Haynes]
Guitarhacker Offline
Veteran

Originally Posted By: PaulH

I just listened to that song on my iPhone & iPad. Wow not so good, vocals seem a bit shaky and somewhat raw. It's hard to mix for all the varieties of speakers people will listen on and maintain a good overall sound. Anyone else include listening through a mobile device when mixing?

Nice song....

Don't beat yourself up. As I listened I didn't hear those things on the first pass. I listen on cheap speakers as most people will be doing.

Shakey vocals are easy to fix by concentrating on the task at hand when singing. With multitrack and punch in/out, that is an easy fix. Also.... check out Melodyne Editor (or essentials) for "fixing" those vocals. I use ME on all my vocal tracks and those of the singers on my music. Even a really excellent vocal take can use some fixing. ME lets you literally take the shake out of the vocals...and a whole lot more.

Mixing for all the speakers..... nope.... don't even try. Just get a good mix that is solid and let the chips fall where they may for the others. Use some decent studio reference monitors, learn the way they sound by playing some commercially recorded music similar to your music on them, and mix accordingly. Get ARC. Automatic Room Correction software by IK Multimedia. http://www.ikmultimedia.com/products/arc/ it will do wonders for your mixing once you set it up and get it calibrated to your room. It compensates for the deficiencies in the room and lets you hear a more accurate rendering of the music. I know some folks who use it religiously and they produce some of the best home studio mixes I've heard.

I listen all the time to mobile players. I mix and export to my MP3 player and listen to the music as I go through my day at work..... I can pick out the nits that I missed in the studio. Things start to bug me and I listen closer, go back to the studio and listen there and make fixes. Generally I don't have EQ issues, but mistakes and timing issues, yup, or just a word or phrase that should be different..... or song structure sounds wrong.... that stuff only comes by listening. Cans and buds let you hear things that you might miss on the speakers.... so yeah, be sure to listen in several different ways.... but trust the monitors.

I like the song.... good job.

Add nothing that adds nothing to the music

#231916 - 12/31/13 10:11 AM [User Showcase] Re: The Heavens Proclaim (Original Song) [Re: robsmusic]
Paul Haynes Offline
Journeyman

Originally Posted By: robsmusic
If you don't mind, I noticed one place that the lyric might improve. Verse 1 and verse 2 seem to be saying the same thing. A rewrite of one of those verses might make the song stronger, but I'm no expert! smile

Hi Robsmusic

Thanks for your comments. Just to give some background on the song. I modelled it on Psalm 19 & Romans 1. I wanted to keep as faithful to scripture as possible. It was a song I created in Garage Band on my iPad then which ultimately lead to Band in a Box (although it sounds alittle different now) smile

Psalm 19 (NLT)
1 The heavens proclaim the glory of God.
The skies display his craftsmanship.
2 Day after day they continue to speak;
night after night they make him known.
3 They speak without a sound or word;
their voice is never heard.
4 Yet their message has gone throughout the earth,
and their words to all the world.

Romans 1 (NLT)
19 They know the truth about God because he has made it obvious to them.
20 For ever since the world was created, people have seen the earth and sky. Through everything God made, they can clearly see his invisible qualities- his eternal power and divine nature. So they have no excuse for not knowing God.

Edited by PaulH (12/31/13 10:12 AM)

#231929 - 12/31/13 10:57 AM [User Showcase] Re: The Heavens Proclaim (Original Song) [Re: Paul Haynes]
Paul Haynes Offline
Journeyman

Thanks Guitarhacker

I do use Melodyne Editor and yes it's excellent. When I said shaky vocals I didnt mean quivering but just alittle raw sounding. Thats cause of the speakers on the mobile devices because it sounds nice on my computer. It just made me realise how different music can sound and alot of people will listen from their devices rather sat in front of some nice speakers. In fact my vocals just seemed to dominate the mix on my iphone with the music coming in distant 2nd.

All my songs at the moment are mixed on my headphones/Hi Fi until I get a pair of (probably) KRK RP8 G3.

#231930 - 12/31/13 10:58 AM [User Showcase] Re: The Heavens Proclaim (Original Song) [Re: Paul Haynes]
Paul Haynes Offline
Journeyman

I wish there was a "like" button next to each post cause I don't want to be rude and miss thanking people for their comments. Thanks to all who posted, I've read them all. I'm now considering my next song.

Edited by PaulH (12/31/13 10:59 AM)

#235431 - 01/16/14 09:20 AM [User Showcase] Re: The Heavens Proclaim (Original Song) [Re: Paul Haynes]
Paul Haynes Offline
Journeyman

Hi folk!

I've been testing my new KRK VXT 6 monitors. Went to check some out last Friday which was a 5 hour trip all round. VXT's are clearly better than the KRK RP range. Couldnt help myself and bought them. Wanted to try out the VXT8's but the shop didn't have any plus they were more than I could afford and bigger. My desk is quite cramped now!!

I had a go remixing The Heaven's Proclaim song, just a tweak here and there. I think the remix is slightly tighter. I can here the difference and I thought I'd post up an A/B comparison and see what you all though? I have some fret buzz on my acoustic guitar on the track (noticeable mostly on the intro), hardly noticeable cause I brought the volume down lower that I really wanted in order to hide it. Need to re-record it again! Of course there's always the chance people will say the original is better but the little I've used the VXT's I can say the flat clear response does help when mixing.

This is my playlist on SoundCloud and you will see the song duplicated for the purpose of the A/B comparison.

https://soundcloud.com/devonbiker/sets/pauls-songs

Edited by PaulH (01/16/14 09:26 AM)

#235435 - 01/16/14 09:40 AM [User Showcase] Re: The Heavens Proclaim (Original Song) [Re: Paul Haynes]
olemon Offline
Journeyman

It's a wonderful start! The vocal is perfectly placed I think. Good song!!

Quote:
Well there are so many good songs going up

...and you just posted one.

Btw, that looks just like my studio, except yours is cleaner, better organized, and with better gear. Actually, that doesn't look like my studio at all:)

Edited by olemon (01/16/14 09:42 AM)
https://soundcloud.com/scott-h-olson

#235497 - 01/16/14 04:32 PM [User Showcase] Re: The Heavens Proclaim (Original Song) [Re: Paul Haynes]
Al-David Offline
Veteran

Back for another listen...still loving it!

Loops: https://aldavidmusic.wixsite.com/bestmusicloops

#235583 - 01/17/14 07:10 AM [User Showcase] Re: The Heavens Proclaim (Original Song) [Re: Al-David]
Paul Haynes Offline
Journeyman

I only posted this up again because I had asked in another thread which were the best monitors to look out for? Monitors do take some getting use to but great for mixing.

Edited by PaulH (01/17/14 07:11 AM)

#235586 - 01/17/14 07:18 AM [User Showcase] Re: The Heavens Proclaim (Original Song) [Re: olemon]
Paul Haynes Offline
Journeyman

Originally Posted By: olemon
Btw, that looks just like my studio, except yours is cleaner, better organized, and with better gear. Actually, that doesn't look like my studio at all:)

Funny! But I can't brag, most of the time my desk is in a mess - ask my wife! But I'm trying to keep it tidy now that I've cleared it. smile

Edited by PaulH (01/17/14 07:19 AM)

PG Music News
Notation Enhancements in Band-in-a-Box® 2019 for Windows!

There are Notation Enhancements in the NEW Band-in-a-Box® 2019 for Windows! These include:
•A new button in the Print Options dialog which lets you quickly print a "chords only" fake sheet. You can also access this from the right-click menu on the chord sheet.
•A new track type (Drums) is now available for The Melody and Soloist tracks.
•Clicking close to a stave line will put a note on the stave line instead of between stave lines. (Previously, you had to click extremely close to a stave line to insert a note on The line.)
•Double-clicking on the Standard mode Notation window (or on the time line in Editable or Staff Roll mode) plays the song from the current time location. Previously, it played the song from the beginning of the current bar.
•Holding down the [Ctrl] key and pressing the zoom in/out buttons results in finest possible incremental adjustment in size.
•In The Notation Windows Options dialog, The clefs split point asterisk indicates that C5* is middle C.
•Pressing The space bar plays the song from the current time location, not the current bar.
•The clefs split point can be set by the spin controls.
•The right-click menu in the Editable or Staff Roll mode Notation window has an option to change the current beat resolution. Previously, the only way to do this was to right-click on the time line.
•There's a keystroke entry notation mode - the 'N' mode, which lets you enter a melody entirely using keystrokes. The keystrokes are N to enter a note, up/down cursor to change its pitch, and left/right cursor to move the time line.
•You can now edit any track in the Event List Editor. When The dialog opens, it will show you the MIDI data in the current Notation track.
•You can quickly enter forced accidentals from the right-click menu.

We talk about these new features within our Band-in-a-Box® 2019 for Windows®! New Features, RealTracks, and other content! video:
25:45 - New Features: Easy Entering of Notation with the 'N' Key
36:48 - Change Beat Resolution From the Right-Click Menu
37:15 - Easier Entry of Notes on Lines
37:42 - Asterisk to Indicate Middle C on & Spin Controls
37:53 - Force Accidental from the Right-Click Menu
38:01 - Edit Any Track in the Event List
38:09 - Keystroke Note Entry Mode 'N' for Faster Note Entry
38:28 - Print Chords Only Fake Sheet
38:32 - More Control of Notation Size

Rather read about it?
-Band-in-a-Box® 2019 for Windows® Upgrade Manual
-New Feature Summary - Notation Enhancements

The New Band-in-a-Box® 2019 for Windows SongPicker!

With Band-in-a-Box® 2019, the SongPicker has been redesigned!
-The completely redesigned window shows information for up to 50,000 songs.
-The song list build is much faster. Approximately 150 songs get added per second.
-A progress bar will appear if the song list build takes longer than 3 seconds.
-You can see the chord progression for the selected song in the list. You can copy and paste it to a text file.
-Many filters are available. You can filter the list by subfolders, genre, feel, time signature, style, songs with melody, soloist, lyrics, key signature, tempo range, and the year of file dates.
-You can search songs that have similar chord progressions and/or melody fragments.
-Hotkey! ss+enter opens the SongPicker, ss2+enter opens the Recently Played Songs, etc.

Learn more about the updates with our New Features Video - we've made it easy to find the section you'll need:
2:55 - New Feature: Redesigned SongPicker
21:58 - New Features: SongPicker Enhancements
41:10 - Now Over 10,600 Titles in SongPicker

You can also read all about the new SongPicker within our Online Band-in-a-Box® 2019 for Windows® Upgrade Manual.

RealBand 2019 Online and PDF Manuals Available!

Visit our Online Manuals support page for access to the latest RealBand 2019 for Windows program manuals!

RealBand 2019 for Windows User's Guide: Online Manual | PDF Download
RealBand 2019 for Windows New Features Guide: Online Manual | PDF Download

RealBand 2019 is included in every purchase of Band-in-a-Box® 2019 for Windows! We're having a SALE on Band-in-a-Box® 2019 Upgrade purchases until December 31, 2018 - save over 40% when you purchase your Band-in-a-Box® 2019 for Windows Upgrade! Check out our Band-in-a-Box® packages page for all the purchase options available

Band-in-a-Box® 2019 Online and PDF Manuals Available!

Visit our Online Manuals support page for access to the latest Band-in-a-Box® 2019 for Windows program manuals!

Band-in-a-Box® 2019 for Windows User's Guide: Online Manual | PDF Download
Band-in-a-Box® 2019 for Windows Upgrade Manual: Online Manual | PDF Download

Don't forget.... We're having a SALE on Band-in-a-Box® 2019 Upgrade purchases until December 31, 2018 - save over 40% when you purchase your Band-in-a-Box® 2019 for Windows Upgrade! Check out our Band-in-a-Box® packages page for all the purchase options available

Band-in-a-Box® 2019 on a USB 3.0 Hard Drive - Speed Thrills!

We're excited to say that all Band-in-a-Box® 2019 for Windows UltraPAK and UltraPAK+ orders now ship on a USB 3.0 hard drive!

What does this mean? Faster hard drive transfer rates will enhance the program operations (faster time to generate tracks, reduced audio artifacts) and offer faster transfer speeds (typically up to 3x faster)!

It's a great time to order your UltraPAK or UltraPAK+ Upgrade... they're ON SALE until December 31st!

Video: Band-in-a-Box® 2019 for Windows® New Features!

Our "Band-in-a-Box® 2019 for Windows®! New Features, RealTracks, and other content!" video is now ready! Get to know all about the newest features in Band-in-a-Box® 2019: Click here to watch...

We have listed a table of contents for this video, you'll see it within the YouTube video description, or by visiting this forum post.

RealBand 2019 - A New Look!

Have you opened up your RealBand 2019 yet? You may notice that we've given it a fresh new look! In fact, there are now 3 different looks to RealBand.

See for yourself! Within the program, visit Options | Icon Set and choose from: Classic, Modern 1, or Modern 2.

Forum Stats
28455 Members
58 Forums
55292 Topics
460656 Posts

Max Online: 2434 @ 11/14/17 12:37 AM
Newest Members
Masaladosa, jonny1, rikkyj, tbeach, Andrew DeGaust

28455 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
Matt Finley 366
Pipeline 342