Index
Next Thread
Print Thread
Go To
User Showcase
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
It's not a new subject by any means. But this is our take on it. Just about everything has been written about at one time or another. All you can do is tell the same stories in your own voice.

The vocal is a little too forward...I need to move it back a bit. I think the drums are a bit too loud for this genre. Also, this was recorded before we got our good AT 2035 mic. This was recorded on a $39.95 Peavey mic. But Di's voice sounds good on a tin can connected to a string. Her voice is so danged sultry!

As soon as I can locate them, I'll post the BIAB tracks we used. We're two computers down the road since this was recorded and it's a bit messy keep up with everything. We did this on BIAB 2011.5

Okay...I just found the BIAB tracks we used:

Style is _POPFAST.STY (Fast Pop w Dreamy ElGt (165 RS))
Tempo 66 bpm

Real Tracks Solo: ~ Sax,Ten,Sol JazzBallad Sw60 (750)
RealTracks in style: ~~518:Bass, Electric, Pop HalfNotes Ev 085
RealTracks in song: ~904:Piano, Electric, Rhythm SmoothCool Sw16 075
RealTracks in song: ~939:Guitar, Electric, Rhythm JazzBalladFreeComp Sw 060
RealTracks in style: ~~367:Guitar, Electric, Background Dreamy Ev 065
RealTracks in song: ~491:Sax, Alto, Jazz Ballad Sw 085 (Bluesy)
RealDrums in Style: NashvilleEven8^8-HiHatO,Ride

http://soundclick.com/share.cfm?id=11220232

Forever And A Day

© 2011 Alan D. David, BMI / Diana Bowers, BMI

8-BAR INTRO

(v1)
If nothing else I promise you, you won’t ever hear me say goodbye
I can’t imagine one day without you, I wouldn’t even want to try

CHORUS
You are the answer for every time I prayed, in darkness you light my way
No, I don’t think I would make it without you
I’ll love you forever and a day

(v2)
You’re lips so tender, your smile always soft, you make the darkest days so bright
You are the reason, I wake every morning, cause with you everything is right

INSTRUMENTAL VERSE

CHORUS
You are the answer for every time I prayed, in darkness you light my way
No, I don’t think I would make it without you
I’ll love you forever and a day

(v3)
Don’t ever doubt my love for you, I’ll show you just how much in every way
Eternity is just the beginning, I’ll love you Dear, forever and a day
I’ll love you Dear, forever and a day

Last edited by Al-David; 01/04/14 08:40 PM. Reason: Added BIAB info

BIAB 2022 Ultra Plus-all StylePaks*Win10*8GB DDR4*I5-6th Gen*AT 2035 Mic*Peavey Nashville 112 Amp*Ibanez ART120 Electric/Washburn D200S Acoustic*Stromberg Monterey Jazz Guitar

Loops: https://aldavidmusic.wixsite.com/bestmusicloops

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Alan and Di...

So much to like about this. Nice, simple lyrics that say just the right thing - not an easy thing to do...

The instrumentation is just what it needs to be.

Di - beautiful vocal - heart-felt.

And you're right... the one problem is the drums. Usually I'm telling people to "turn 'em up".. but not here... these should have been brushes... that would be the icing on this beautiful cake....

Enjoyed it.

floyd

User Showcase
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Floyd...

You're right...some Smooth Jazz brushes would have been perfect. Will go back in a few days and redo it.

I, too, like the drums a little louder than most people do. But it in this case, less is almost too much. We're delighted you like everything else about it. I wish I had half her singing voice.

Thanks again. We really appreciate your support and always astute suggestions! Best you, my friend...

Al & Di

BIAB 2022 Ultra Plus-all StylePaks*Win10*8GB DDR4*I5-6th Gen*AT 2035 Mic*Peavey Nashville 112 Amp*Ibanez ART120 Electric/Washburn D200S Acoustic*Stromberg Monterey Jazz Guitar

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Al and Di,

What a beautifully simple song and I agree with Floyd that brushes would be perfect for this.

I do like Di's tremolo on the high notes, must try that myself.

I thoroughly enjoyed that.

I use a Peavey i cheapo mic on occasions myself, instead of my Rode NT2, just for "that different effect". The peavey is usually a doorstop or paper weight LOL

Alyn

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Beautiful song. Well sung and well played

Scott Collingwood
https://soundcloud.com/scottt709
https://soundcloud.com/spiritlevel-ca
https://www.youtube.com/@SpiritLevel-ge3hm/
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Alan & Di, I like the song. The instrumentation and vocals are fine. Di's vocals fit that style of music perfectly.

I agree on the comment above about using brush style on the drums.

One other thing that I noticed in the first 10 seconds is a bigger issue for me. You have mixed swing styles with even styles. I heard this in the music and looked at the list of tracks and confirmed it. It's pretty hard to make the 2 differences work together in the same song. When I was first getting started in BB/RB I would simply pop tracks in without checking their EV or SW status. Now, that is one of the first things I look at when choosing tracks. I want them all in the same groove.

The problem this creates goes to the groove and the feel of the song.... the listener wants to either be feeling it "even" or "swinging" but there is that conflict happening in the music, with the drums, bass and one guitar playing an even groove pattern and sax, piano and the other guitar guitar swinging that groove.

The singer is also conflicted..... does she sing it even or swing it? It sounds to me like she's leaning towards the swing side..... and I think (personal opinion) that this should be an easy swing....

Great song. Good job on the recording..... I'd like to see the drums brushed and everything swinging.

You can find my music at:
www.herbhartley.com
Add nothing that adds nothing to the music.
You can make excuses or you can make progress but not both.

The magic you are looking for is in the work you are avoiding.
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Enjoyed your vocal Di, thought the mic sounded good on your voice. Every word and all the nuances nice and clear. Alan, Brushes and a more swing feel yeah - cool but it was a nice listen regardless.

Josie

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Hi Di and Al,

beautiful song, great voice.
Comments on drums and groove are just nits.

Guenter

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Wow, Di! Was it Di or Memorex? I hear Ella in your vox. Beautifully sung, dear little lady. Enough to give this old Irishman goosebumps big time. Perhaps "sultry" is the correct word.

More please?

As Alyn (aka Gibson) said:

Quote:
I do like Di's tremolo on the high notes, must try that myself.

That was a nice touch, Di.

User Showcase
Expert
Expert
Di and Al,
Very nice work. I really enjoyed listening. Looking forward to hearing more.
SD

User Showcase
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
HI TO EVERYONE...

THANK YOU ALL FOR YOUR VERY KIND WORDS. ALAN TOLD ME YOU FOLKS WERE THE VERY NICEST OF PEOPLE. I CAN SEE WHY HE SAYS THAT. AND THERE IS SO MUCH EXCEPTIONAL TALENT HERE AT THE PG MUSIC FORUMS. I APPRECIATE EVERTYTHING EACH OF HAS HAD TOSAY ABOUT MY VOICE.

I'M HOPING ALAN WILL POST SOME OF HIS WONDERFUL GUITAR WORK SOON. HE HAS WRITTEN AND RECORDED SOME BEAUTIFUL ACOUSTIC INSTRUMENTALS AND SOME VERY NICE SONGS ON THE ELCTRIC GUITAR.

PLEASE EXCUSE ALL CAPS BUT I HAVE SEVERE ARTHRITIS AND FIBROMYALGIA. I CANNOT REACH THE "SHIFT' KEY EASILY OR WITHOUT PAIN. I DON'T MEAN TO SHOUT!

THANK YOU AGIAN. GOD BLESS!

DI (DIANA DAVID)

User Showcase
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Hi, Al here this time.

All your comments about the improvements we could make are spot on. We'll be addressing those in the near future and will repost with all swing background, brushes instead of sticks and the vocal buried a little deeper in the music.

Please know that Di and I are appreciative of constructive criticism/helpful suggestions and view them as avenues top improvement, not slams on our work. So, by all means, never hesitate to offer your honest opinions. We may not always employ the suggestions but will give each and every one due consideration and use those that we think best improve our music. Thanks again to everyone for your kindness and help!

We're a couple of old farts having a ball with our music! I played professionally for 40+ years. Di never has performed professionally and has been singing seriously for only 6 or 7 years.

Best to everyone...

Al & Di

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Let's see, OK I'm sitting front row center just a few steps off of the dance floor sipping my Jack Daniel's Old Fashion just digging the mellow tones.

Great Job!

Later,

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Hi, Al & Di !

This was a very enjoyable
tune with outstanding vocals !
Congrats to both of you and
Di for her great vocal !:))

Cheers
Dani

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Simple yes but not mundane. Perfect balance to support a cool, mellow and heartfelt vocal. I don't think the vocal is too far forward but then a lot of folks think I mix the vocal out a bit too much. Hard not to do when you have a good vocalist smile

I'd comment on the mic but honestly I have trouble telling the difference amongst our low end and high end mics from the perspective of quality. To me decent mics have their own characteristics and I try to choose the one that goes with the singer.

FWIW, I've struggled trying to mix ev and sw feel Realtracks. I find that if I have all sw rhythm tracks then I can find the occasional ev solo that works and vs. However, if I mix ev and sw rhythm tracks I can sense that subtle "tug" going on amongst them. Some might not notice but I played bass for 40 years and may be more affected by it. Dunno.

Regardless, we enjoyed this and look forward to more.

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Al and Di, Nice work. The vocal is very good as is the writing, the arrangement and the mix. I agree with the above statements regarding brushes and the swing feel. Hope to hear it again if you get back to it. Tom

User Showcase
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Danny,

Just one JD? Ha! I can see the Lounge Lizards making the rounds every time I listen to Di sing this one. We talked about it this morning and we're going to try to redo it sometime this month. When we get it done, I'll post a link to it.

We have another one we're going to redo called "The Best Thing I Do For Me". I have the BIAB tracks for it but not her original vocal track. She's going to redo the vocal and I'm going to take another look at the BIAB tracks. We have it posted on Soundclick but the vocal is ahead of the music. It's particularly noticeable in one part where the vocal is syncopated to a musical riff.

Anyway, thanks so much for the kind words. Get a second JD...it's on us!

User Showcase
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
HI Dani...

Thank you so very much. We always look forward to your comments. We're having near Finnish weather here in Nashville...extreme cold! Thanks again!

User Showcase
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Janice & Bud...

Thanks for the listen and the warm comments! "Simple but not mudane"...that's exactly what we were striving for with this one. Thanks for the vote of confidence on that one. As a picker and not a singer for so many years, I never could tell one mic from another unless there was an extreme difference. I've come to have a little better ear for that over the past 10 years or so. I can't listen and tell you the brand or model, but I can usually tell if it's a nice condenser mic or not. Di sounds good with just about any mic but I need all the help I can get. A condenser mic gives my thin voice fullness and "air". I don't have a good singing voice...my voice is thin and so is my range. I need all the help I can get!

As I told a few other folks, we will repost this once we redo it. I, too, tend to put the vocal a little more forward in the mic than most folks...as I do the drums. But on this one, I think moving it back just a touch would balance the whole thing a little better.

Thanks for your constant kind words and encouragement. We do appreciate that so much!

User Showcase
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
HI Tom...

Thanks for the listen and very nice comments. We will be reposting this in a couple of weeks or so. We've written a number of these old Lounge Jazz numbers. It's such a perfect for Di's voice and it's a genre we like. And we'll be addressing the percussions and backing instruments. Thanks again!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Band-in-a-Box® 2024 Review: 4.75 out of 5 Stars!

If you're looking for a in-depth review of the newest Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows version, you'll definitely find it with Sound-Guy's latest review, Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows Review: Incredible new capabilities to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs.

A few excerpts:
"The Tracks view is possibly the single most powerful addition in 2024 and opens up a new way to edit and generate accompaniments. Combined with the new MultiPicker Library Window, it makes BIAB nearly perfect as an 'intelligent' composer/arranger program."

"MIDI SuperTracks partial generation showing six variations – each time the section is generated it can be instantly auditioned, re-generated or backed out to a previous generation – and you can do this with any track type. This is MAJOR! This takes musical experimentation and honing an arrangement to a new level, and faster than ever."

"Band in a Box continues to be an expansive musical tool-set for both novice and experienced musicians to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs, as well as an extensive educational resource. It is huge, with hundreds of functions, more than any one person is likely to ever use. Yet, so is any DAW that I have used. BIAB can do some things that no DAW does, and this year BIAB has more DAW-like functions than ever."

Happy Easter! Holiday Hours...

2024 is well underway - it's already Easter Weekend!

Our Customer Service hours this weekend are:

Friday, March 29: 8-4
Saturday, March 30: 8-4
Sunday, March 31: closed

Regular hours resume Monday, April 1st - no joke!

Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Video: Volume Automation in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created a video to help you learn more about the Volume Automation options in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows.

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Volume Automation

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#volume-automation

Video: Audio Input Monitoring with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created this short video to explain Audio Input Monitoring within Band-in-a-Box® 2024, and included some tips & troubleshooting details too!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Audio Input Monitoring

3:17: Tips
5:10: Troubleshooting

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#audio-input-monitoring

Video: Enhanced Melodists in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®!

We've enhanced the Melodists feature included in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows!

Access the Melodist feature by pressing F7 in the program to open the new MultiPicker Library and locate the [Melodist] tab.

You can now generate a melody on any track in the program - very handy! Plus, you select how much of the melody you want generated - specify a range, or apply it to the whole track.

See the Melodist in action with our video, Band-in-a-Box® 2024: The Melodist Window.

Learn even more about the enhancements to the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024upgrade/chapter3.htm#enhanced-melodist

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,396
Posts732,510
Members38,442
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
danielsk, Mark Morgan, zagrajbarke, Ernest J, Izzy
38,442 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 195