Page 1 of 2 1 2
#234199 01/10/14 06:42 PM
Add-ons and UserTracks for Band-in-a-Box
W
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
W
For Real instruments that have Real Charts, is there some way to extract the complete MIDI files that correspond with each audio file?

To clarify, if I load one of the audio files (for a real track instrument) into my DAW I can play it from beginning to end audibly. However, I would also like to see the corresponding Real Chart from beginning to end. Not just those sections that might be generated by BIAB to match the current song's chord progression.

Alternatively, is there a way to force BIAB to generate a track that will match any given RT audio file from beginning to end so that the corresponding MIDI track could then be dragged into a DAW?

Am I trying to look into Pandora's Box here or might we be able to do this without unearthing closely guarded PGM secrets? smile

Bob

Veteran
Veteran
Bob,

It can be done. What version of BIAB do you have?

Sometimes the notation files do not parallel the RT note for note. This is because they are transcribed after the RT was was created at the PG Music studios (at least as far as I understand). For the faster and more complicated tracks, the discrepancies tend to be more noticeable. That being said, the notation provided is a very good representation.

Regards,
Noel

MY SONGS...
Audiophile BIAB 2024
Veteran
Veteran
I did some of the transcriptions in the early years of RealTracks. I do not know if the process (which is proprietary) has changed since then, but I can tell you my transcription sounded dead on when played along with the RealTrack. However, my MIDI transcription had none of the nuances characteristic of the instrument.

BIAB 2024 Win Audiophile. Software: Studio One 6.5 Pro, Swam horns, Acoustica-7, Notion 6; Win 11 Home. Hardware: Intel i9, 32 Gb; Roland Integra-7, Presonus Studio 192, Presonus Faderport 8, Royer 121, Adam Sub8 & Neumann 120 monitors
W
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
W
Thanks for the response guys. I'm not really expecting a perfect match but naturally the closer the better. However, regardless of how well or how poorly they match the audio, I really would like to be able to extract the RC MIDI files.

Quote:

I have BIAB 2014, Build 380.

Could one of you please outline the procedure to extract the corresponding RC MIDI file for each audio file.

Thanks in advance,

Bob

S
Expert
Expert
S
Go to Options > Preferences > RealTracks and Tick "Save RealCharts in Midi Files. Go to File > Make a Standard Midi File.
The track needs to have RealCharts, if it is green with an underline it should, also in the the realtrack picker window there is a Chart column that will say if it has a Chart.
is is easy to access in RealBand http://www.pgmusic.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=182571#Post182571

W
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
W
Thanks solidrock but, I don't see how this gets me the RC for any specific audio file. I know how to get BIAB to generate the RC MIDI file for any given track it has created within a song but I want to get the chart associated with a given audio file in the RT folders.

For example, let's just take one specific file:
bb\RealTracks\Fiddle, SoloistWesternSwingAndy Sw165\fi0791.wma

For my installation, fi0791.wma is the very first audio file under the Fiddle... folder.

Now, how do I instruct BIAB to output the MIDI file associated with this RT audio file? Such a chart should depict approximately what the artist played when the fi0791.wma file was recorded.

What I want to do is to be able to choose any such audio file under the Real Tracks folder and obtain the corresponding RC MIDI file. Is there a way to do that and, if so, what is the procedure?

BTW I'm not using Real Band so I would prefer to do this with BIAB and/or my DAW.

Thanks again for any help,

Bob

S
Expert
Expert
S
Sorry, yes I see, I wanted the same some time back and still do, but I think Peter said there is no associated midi file for the RT, that the RC information was embedded in the program it's self. Maybe it should be suggested again in the wishlist ? I know if you get RealDrums from http://www.realdrumsforbiab.com/ they come with the associated midi file. If they could do this with the RealTracks and RealDrums it would be very helpful, sorry I could not help.

Bob...

W
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
W
Thanks solidrock.

OK Noel96,

Quote:
Bob,

Since you said it can be done, could you outline the procedure for us?

Thanks

Veteran
Veteran
Hi Bob,

Not a problem. In 2014 it's easier than it's ever been.

Load in the Realtrack that you are interested in. When the Realtrack is loaded, it must have a line under the name. See the below image. This line says that this RT has a notation file associated with it.

In the above image, the RT on the Piano track has notation associated with it (it is underlined) while RT on the Bass slot does not have notation. (This means that what I describe below will work for the the Piano track RT but not the Bass one.)

When the track is loaded. Generate the song. There's no need for it to play through.

Now simply left-click on the Piano Track and drag it across to the MID quadrant of the Drop Station.

Once it's done, right-click on the Drop Station and you can choose to go to the folder that it's stored in.

Hope this helps,
Noel

MY SONGS...
Audiophile BIAB 2024
S
Expert
Expert
S
The only way you can do it at the moment is set tempo to 165 and drop the fi0791.wma in, Ctrl+A to highlight the whole track, go up to Audio menu > Pitch to Midi Convert, it gets it close but you have to play with the settings, you can redo a section by just highlighting that section only. It would be so much easier if they just convert the RC data to a midi file for each RT (fi0791.mid, fi0792.mid.....).

W
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
W
Hi Noel96,

Thanks for your response but we must be having a communication problem. When you say 'generate your song' it sounds to me like you think I want the chart that matches the audio BIAB cobbles together for a specific song and RT instrument. But, what I want is the chart for the various audio files recorded by the Artists. Such as for the fi0791.wma file.

How do you propose I enter a song that will cause BIAB to generate the same audio as contained in the fi0791 file from beginning to end. That would be the key to doing it all right but how would I make such a song? For any given chord progression that I enter, BIAB is going to cobble together segments of fi0791, fi0792, ... according to its programmed strategy. I think it likely that the strategy will include some random phrase selections among other things so I don't know how to force BIAB to choose all the segments in a given file like fi0791 in unbroken order. I agree that if we could make BIAB do that, then it would be a simple matter to drag out the MIDI chart for that matching audio track.

If you know of some way to create such a song whose audio will match a given RT audio file, please describe your procedure.

Hi solidrock,

Your suggestion sounds a little more along the lines that will be needed to do this. I don't know if it will work or not, have you tried this? I expect to have a little block of time later today so I'll try something along these lines and get back with you.

Meanwhile, if anyone else knows some clever way to extract the MIDI chart info from the bt1 files, please chime in.

God Bless,

Bob

Veteran
Veteran
Hi Bob,

Yes, I misinterpreted you post. Sorry about that. I can't help with what you're after.

Regards,
Noel

MY SONGS...
Audiophile BIAB 2024
Veteran
Veteran
Bob, I agree with Noel. The method to produce RealTracks and charts is proprietary and is unknown to users. I don't know how to do what you want.

BIAB 2024 Win Audiophile. Software: Studio One 6.5 Pro, Swam horns, Acoustica-7, Notion 6; Win 11 Home. Hardware: Intel i9, 32 Gb; Roland Integra-7, Presonus Studio 192, Presonus Faderport 8, Royer 121, Adam Sub8 & Neumann 120 monitors
W
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
W
Originally Posted By: Matt Finley
Bob, I agree with Noel. The method to produce RealTracks and charts is proprietary and is unknown to users. I don't know how to do what you want.

Thanks guys, I was afraid that might be the situation. Which is why I included

Quote:
Am I trying to look into Pandora's Box here or might we be able to do this without unearthing closely guarded PGM secrets?

in my original post.

God Bless,

Bob

S
Expert
Expert
S
The best way that I tried was below in RealBand, that got it very close when I played the midi back along with the the original RT, you will just have to try that and see if is good enough for what you want.

"The only way you can do it at the moment is set tempo to 165 and drop the fi0791.wma in, Ctrl+A to highlight the whole track, go up to Audio menu > Pitch to Midi Convert, it gets it close but you have to play with the settings, you can redo a section by just highlighting that section only. It would be so much easier if they just convert the RC data to a midi file for each RT (fi0791.mid, fi0792.mid.....)."

S
Expert
Expert
S
Originally Posted By: Matt Finley

Quote:
Am I trying to look into Pandora's Box here or might we be able to do this without unearthing closely guarded PGM secrets?

I don't think it has to do with that, look at midi super tracks, I think they just haven't thought of doing it nor got around to doing it. As I said put it again in the wishlist.

W
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
W
Hi solidrock,

I'm sorry that I haven't gotten around to your suggestion yet but I've been kind of overloaded today smile

Now that I read your post more carefully, I see that you are suggesting using RB's pitch to MIDI converter. Presently at least I'm not using RB but I would imagine that I could do the same thing with Melodyne so when I get a little breather, I'll try that. However, I was kind of hoping there would be some easy way to extract it. After all the MIDI file or its equivalent must live somewhere.

Regarding adding this request the wishlist, I'm a newbie here so I'm not familiar with that department yet smile but if you already did that, could you point me to what you posted?

Anyway, thanks to everyone for your kind responses.

Bob

S
Expert
Expert
S
Melodyne was not as good I don't think, but if you have it give it a go.
It was way back so I did another, who knows a miracle might happen:
http://www.pgmusic.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=postlist&Board=34&page=1

W
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
W
That is indeed surprising because generally speaking Melodyne is very good. If the audio to MIDI converter in RB is that good maybe I should fire up RB smile

BTW I cast my vote for your Wishlist post. Hope others will join in.

Rejoice,

Bob

Hi Bob,
If you are using sonar X3 or Cubase Daws load the wma file into the daw. Open the pitch correction screen and select pitch to midi. That will generate a midi file from the wave file. I use this when I want to correct some of the playing of the solo/melody instruments that sometimes play funny notes.

Regards

Willie

W
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
W
Thanks 3rdststudio,

I don't have Sonar or Cubase (I'm using Reaper). But, I do have
several other pitch to midi converters, and, Melodyne Studio (with pitch bend and envelope output) probably does the best job overall. Melodyne Editor plugin is not as good.

However, your suggested method is essentially the same as solidrock's. Namely use some kind of pitch to midi converter. But, I would like to be able to extract the BIAB MIDI chart files directly some way.

Let's hope PGM adds this capablility some day.

Rejoice,

Bob

W
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
W
Hi Willie,

Thanks for your suggestion. I don't have Sonar or Cubase (I'm using Reaper). However, I do have several Pitch to MIDI converters besides RB and Melodyne. However, I have found that Melodyne Studio does the best overall job (when used with Pitch Bend and Envelope). Melodyne Editor is not as good because it lacks the PB and Env options.

While using a Pitch to MIDI converter with a lot of post editing can more or less do the job, I was hoping that there was a more direct way to simply extract the full MIDI Chart associated with each audio file.

Let's hope that PGM will add this option in a future release.

Rejoice,

Bob

W
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
W
Something seems to be wrong with the forum. I've tried three times now to post a Reply but it just vanishes after I 'Submit' it.

Oh Dear! Two of them just popped up when I did this quick post.

Please forgive the redundant posts frown

Last edited by Wonderfulbob; 02/06/14 11:49 AM.
Veteran
Online Content
Veteran
Originally Posted By: Wonderfulbob
Something seems to be wrong with the forum. I've tried three times now to post a Reply but it just vanishes after I 'Submit' it.

Oh Dear! Two of them just popped up when I did this quick post.

Please forgive the redundant posts frown

Don't feel bad Bob. That exact same thing you describe has happened to me - more than once.

BIAB & RB2024 Win.(Audiophile), Sonar Platinum, Cakewalk by Bandlab, Izotope Prod.Bundle, Roland RD-1000, Synthogy Ivory, Kontakt, Focusrite 18i20, KetronSD2, NS40M Monitors, Pioneer Active Monitors, AKG K271 Studio H'phones
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Video: Volume Automation in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created a video to help you learn more about the Volume Automation options in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows.

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Volume Automation

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#volume-automation

Video: Audio Input Monitoring with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created this short video to explain Audio Input Monitoring within Band-in-a-Box® 2024, and included some tips & troubleshooting details too!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Audio Input Monitoring

3:17: Tips
5:10: Troubleshooting

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#audio-input-monitoring

Video: Enhanced Melodists in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®!

We've enhanced the Melodists feature included in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows!

Access the Melodist feature by pressing F7 in the program to open the new MultiPicker Library and locate the [Melodist] tab.

You can now generate a melody on any track in the program - very handy! Plus, you select how much of the melody you want generated - specify a range, or apply it to the whole track.

See the Melodist in action with our video, Band-in-a-Box® 2024: The Melodist Window.

Learn even more about the enhancements to the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024upgrade/chapter3.htm#enhanced-melodist

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Specifically for Reaper®

New with the DAW Plugin Version 6.0, released with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows: the Reaper® Panel!

This new panel offers built-in specific support for the Reaper® DAW API allowing direct transfer of Band-in-a-Box® files to/from Reaper® tracks!

When you run the Plugin from Reaper®, there is a panel to set the following options:
-BB Track(s) to send: This allows you to select the Plugin tracks that will be sent Reaper.
-Destination Reaper Track: This lets you select the destination Reaper track to receive media content from the Plugin.
-At Bar: You can select a bar in Reaper where the Plugin tracks should be placed.
-Start Below Selected Track: This allows you to place the Plugin tracks below the destination Reaper track.
-Overwrite Reaper Track: You can overwrite previous content on the destination Reaper track.
-Move to Project Folder: With this option, you can move the Plugin tracks to the Reaper project folder.
-Send Reaper Instructions Enable this option to send the Reaper Instructions instead of rendering audio tracks, which is faster.
-Render Audio & Instructions: Enable this option to generate audio files and the Reaper instructions.
-Send Tracks After Generating: This allows the Plugin to automatically send tracks to Reaper after generating.
-Send Audio for MIDI Track: Enable this option to send rendered audio for MIDI tracks.
-Send RealCharts with Audio: If this option is enabled, Enable this option to send RealCharts with audio.

Check out this video highlighting the new Reaper®-specific features: Band-in-a-Box® DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Specifically for Reaper®

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Video

The new Band-in-a-Box VST DAW Plugin Verion 6 adds over 20 new features!

Watch the new features video to learn more: Video: Band-in-a-Box® 2024 - DAW Plugin Version 6 New Features

We also list these new features at www.pgmusic.com/bbwin.plugin.htm.

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,390
Posts732,451
Members38,441
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
Ernest J, ingridguerci94, Izzy, BenChaz, Csofi
38,440 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 195