Next Thread
Print Thread
Go To
Recording, Mixing, Performance and Production
Apprentice
OP Offline
Apprentice
Okay, all you smart people,
I recently switched my Presonus Audio Interface with with Focusrite Saffire Pro 24. While I think I'm going to like it, there is some weird with headphone connection. I can hear the track (RealTrack) through the headphones. As a test, I laid down a vocal track that I hear during playback through the headphones. What I can't hear is my voice through the headphones as I record. I am using a Sterling ST69 condenser mic that is self-powered. I am running a cable from the mic into its power box and then another cable out of the power box into the audio interface (left channel). I can tell from the mixer lights that audio is being picked up, but I can't hear it, doggoneit, and it's making me nuts!! The BIAB audio driver is set to Focusrite. Lastly, I have read the Focusrite manual over and over, but just don't get this. If anyone is even vaguely familiar with this, I would appreciate your help. Thank you.
Carolyne

Expert
Expert
I may be little help but will throw this out.

Is there a recording 'input select' button that needs to be enabled on your interface (or mixer) for that track?

Based on your description that's all I can come up with but the simplest of possibilities should be illuminated first.

Good luck....

Last edited by chulaivet1966; 11/23/13 02:26 PM.
Apprentice
OP Offline
Apprentice
Thanks Chulaivet,
But no. The only input line is lit to denote it is working, which is substantiated by the fact I don' have any trouble recording. But, thanks for trying. I know it's going to end up being something so simple that I'm going to feel like a complete idiot.

M
Mac Offline
Veteran
Veteran
M
Hi Carolyne,

Have you checked the User Guide, pp 16 and 19 about setting up the MONITOR and traced things to make sure you are directing the Monitoring properly?

http://d3se566zfvnmhf.cloudfront.net/sit...repro24eng1.pdf

--Mac

R
Veteran
Veteran
R
Carolyne,

I know my way around lots of different audio/midi interfaces. In my opinion, the mixer application that comes with the Saffire Pro is one of the most difficult to use in the industry.

Because of my employment, I had access to one of these free of charge for as long as I wanted to use it, when my firewire laptop was still breathing.

I wasted probably 3 evenings of 2-3 hours each trying to make that Saffire Pro 24 (we have the 'DSP' version) work for my very simple setup at home and I failed. Very simply, record one or two channels at a time, while monitoring said signal through phones. Never got that to work reliably; meaning - that monitor section is quite complicated and I thought I had saved a working setup, only to come back the next night and no-can-do. Wasted another bunch of time trying to get it to work all the while the muse is off on a smoke-break. After the 3rd night of the same frustration, I was done. Took it back to work.

If it is any consolation to you, I actually make walking around money as a hired gun audio guy and I've seen my way around plenty of mixing applications for all kinds of live sound and with home recording audio interfaces. I'm the kind of person that downloads manuals BEFORE I buy or use equipment.

There must be something so obvious about the device that it doesn't require addressing in the manual that I missed. The device has great reviews at Sweetwater, however none of the reviewers seem to be doing what you are attempting and what I attempted.

Sound-on-Sound's brief review points to a gripe with the control software, which is reviewed in detail on the Liquid Saffire 56 review in Sound-on-Sound as counterintuitive (agreed). http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/may09/articles/liquidsaffire56.htm

I realize that this doesn't help much, but perhaps it offers a bit of kindred soul consolation. Where did you buy the unit? Sweetwater have particularly helpful tech support. In the reviews are several folks who have given praise and given their full names. I have on one occasion tracked down a particularly savvy Sweetwater reviewer that provided their full name and city of residence and chatted about the guitar I recently purchased from Sweetwater before I made my purchase.

I wish you the best - here's hoping that you have more success than I did.

Apprentice
OP Offline
Apprentice
To Mac: Yes, I read the manual, all of it... over and over, but it's not sinking in. Somewhat complicated to my little brain. My RealTrack tracks don't seem to coincide with their Mix tracks, probably because of the way BIAB uses the first 9 tracks, but at this point I'm not sure what I don't even know. What I do know, is when I get this figured out, it is going to be something because the sound that I'm getting with this product is amazing! Everything appears to be working, I just can't hear it until after the fact, thereby contributing to the recorded vocals to be flat.

Apprentice
OP Offline
Apprentice
Rockstar_not,
Well that makes me feel better, slightly...but kind of a bummer as I'm in the middle of a song. I have an email in to the company that is based in London but they don't make accessibility all that easy. The product is rated high, so there must be someone in the US who has had success using it. Guess I'll have to wait until Monday.
Thanks to all,
Carolyne

T
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
T
Carolyne,

I have a Pro24 DSP. I also just bought a Scarlett 18i20.

The key thing to learn about using these preamps is the MixControl software. And yes, it takes a while to "get it". I had three days to learn it, and up until the night before my live session (10 channels of live audio), I was still figuring it out, so I know it's tricky. I am far from mastering it, but once you start to, you find that it is pretty powerful as you can set up a variety of monitor mixes on various tabs to quickly change what to monitor at the headphones or monitor outputs. Don't give up. This is a good piece of hardware!

It's all about signal routing through MixControl. You have to choose what inputs to the Pro24 you want to monitor, and where you want to send them.

Also,note that I think MixControl defaults to stereo pairs (two channels with one panned hard left and the other panned hard right). You might have to select "Loop Back" depending upon what you are doing.

Watching some tutorials helped me a bit, but I did have to contact Focusrite support (the chat line helped me resolve my clock issues) to get past a stumbling block.

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=saffire+mix+control+tutorial&sm=3

In the end, we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends." -Martin Luther King Jr.
B
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
B
"It's all about signal routing through MixControl. You have to choose what inputs to the Pro24 you want to monitor, and where you want to send them."

Go to focusrite.com. At the top of home page click on support then answerbase on the dropdown. search for "Saffire Mix Control Tutorial part 1:creating mixes. At the bottom of the tutorial are links to two more tutorials.These cover all three sections of the mix control. Hint:once you set up your mixes you can name them and save the file in mix control. One click will open and setup your mix.Agreed that it's a learning curve,but worth it. The pro24DSP is rock solid for me with asio drivers.Focusrite is excellent at keeping drivers updated.
Bobby

R
Veteran
Veteran
R
I know Focusrite makes a really nice interface, but from what i have observed the software is a nightmare. I set up my Presonus in 5 minutes and i can monitor the vocals and mix from the get go with no hassles and no fuss. Kind of reminds me of the old appet software from the E-Mu stuff a while back.

Lenovo Win 10 16 gig ram, Mac mini with 16 gig of ram, BiaB 2022, Realband, Harrison Mixbus 32c version 9.1324, Melodyne 5 editor, Presonus Audiobox 1818VSL, Presonus control app, Komplete 49 key controller.
T
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
T
Robh,

Dunno about the E-Mu software...funny thing about Focusrite's MixControl is that it all makes sense after you get it. At which point, I was asking myself, what was the big deal? I think it's just because it gives you so many options that it is a bit intimidating at first (e.g. two separate headphones mixes)....

I like the Presonus stuff. That StudioOne software looks mighty tempting, except I already am using Multitrackstudio ProPlus, which I like more every day, and the PGMusic software, of course....

In the end, we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends." -Martin Luther King Jr.
R
Veteran
Veteran
R
tmon, i have Multitrackstudio pro plus as well, and have always had good results with it. There is a few things that i do not like. I wish it had true comping, and and i never liked having to duplicate the synths for each track. Even though it does not load it up CPU wise it is more steps. I also like the modern look to many of the features of DAWs like studio one and sonar. I sometime miss the simplicity of MTS. It is always there when i need it. I love how seemless SD1 is with my interface.

Lenovo Win 10 16 gig ram, Mac mini with 16 gig of ram, BiaB 2022, Realband, Harrison Mixbus 32c version 9.1324, Melodyne 5 editor, Presonus Audiobox 1818VSL, Presonus control app, Komplete 49 key controller.
R
Veteran
Veteran
R
Carolyne, it looks like you have some help here with the mix control software.

R
Veteran
Veteran
R
Because of a potential great local Craigslist deal - I'm seriously considering a Scarlett 8i6 - mix control software notwithstanding.

To TMON and Bobby, I've sent you both PM to see if you might, in a pinch, be able to help me out with the device.

I'm finally giving up on my Tascam US-800, going to sell it to a guy with a Mac Intel lappy for which it will be a killer deal. It works fine with my son's Mac lappy.

I do have one question for those of you with Focusrite devices:

Is there a way to use the device as a simple mixer, that is, do you have to route audio through the mix control software, or can you use it standalone, and monitor different sets of inputs?

For example, about 1/2 the time I'm using an audio interface, I'm using it as a simple low-channel count mixer - computer off.

ch 1&2, output from either my Guitar multi-fx, or my Casio keyboard. Ch 3&4 output from my iPhone. I use this for rehearsal purposes, playing along with youtube vids. Very convenient.

Not a show-stopper if I can't do this, but I've sort of gotten used to this way of working.

T
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
T

R
Veteran
Veteran
R
Presonus VSL my friend, it gives you the full suite of live effects to use at zero latency.

M
Mac Offline
Veteran
Veteran
M
Originally Posted By: Robh
Presonus VSL my friend, it gives you the full suite of live effects to use at zero latency.

Absolutely.

Can't imagine why anyone would choose not to install.

--Mac

R
Veteran
Veteran
R
Here's my current shopping list:

Phonic Firefly 808 Universal (Check out Craig Anderton's review on this thing on Harmony Central)
Akai EIE Pro
Presonus 44 VSL or higher channel count
Focusrite 8i6 or higher channel count (missed the deal by 1/2 hour!)
Avid Fast Track ultra 8R
Avid Fast Track C600
Anything MOTU Hybrid

Main thing to notice here is I'm looking for 4+ channels of analog inputs, assignable/controllable, USB 2.0 spec.

I've never actually recorded 4+ channels at a time - but I've gotten used to having the high channel counts with the TASCAM - when it works, for rehearsing (like using a mixer basically) with backing tracks from my phone or mp3 player, with keys at the ready or my Zoom G5 guitar effects at the ready.

Yes, I could use a mixer for this, but I like the direct connect aspect without having to go through a mixer. I like to keep as few things with power supplies in the signal chain as possible.

R
Veteran
Veteran
R
knowing what i know now i am really glad I bought the PreSonus audiobox. The VSL is really cool. Reverb, Delay, Compression, Limiting, Noise Gate, filter, and EQ all under the Fat channel on each input, and on the main out. at very ultra low latency. I used all that on my StreetJelly show the other day, and i was really happy with the comments, but also super happy with what i had in the phones.

Add to that Free Studio one artist, and that is a great deal. The artist version of Studio one is prices at $99. The only limitation is that is does not allow third party plug ins, but the one that come bundled are really good. and for $99 you can upgrade to Producer. (i got black friday upgrade for $49) The comping, and ARA is worth the price of admission. If you have Melodyne it is seamless in Studio one.

R
Veteran
Veteran
R
Well, because of about an hour of consulting I did with a somewhat local pro-audio vendor on use of binaural recording for recording headphone output, I got a really nice accommodation on a Focusrite Scarlett 18i8.

I was almost totally in the 44VSL camp, but then I sold my TASCAM US-800 for more than I paid for it (thank you eBay - really helps to take nice photos and crop appropriately) but the 18i8 has so much 'future' capability compared to the 44VSL. Also, Mike Rivers did a great, nerd-friendly review of the 18i8, and his description of the Mix Control applet inspired confidence.

http://mikeriversaudio.files.wordpress.com/2013/12/focusrite_scarlett_18i8_review.pdf

So I will be quickly in the 'sort out Mix Control' software camp. I hope to have it sorted by the end of the month, as I will again be doing the February Album Writing Month challenge this year, and I need to be able to record while monitoring over phones, monitor speakers off.

I hope that I can be like tmon and Bobby with the Mix Control and say 'big deal' as well, in the VERY near future.

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Update Your PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 Today!

Add updated printing options, enhanced tracks settings, smoother use of MGU and SGU (BB files) within PowerTracks, and more with the latest PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 update!

Learn more about this free update for PowerTracks Pro Audio & download it at www.pgmusic.com/support_windows_pt.htm#2024_5

The Newest RealBand 2024 Update is Here!

The newest RealBand 2024 Build 5 update is now available!

Download and install this to your RealBand 2024 for updated print options, streamlined loading and saving of .SGU & MGU (BB) files, and to add a number of program adjustments that address user-reported bugs and concerns.

This free update is available to all RealBand 2024 users. To learn more about this update and download it, head to www.pgmusic.com/support.realband.htm#20245

The Band-in-a-Box® Flash Drive Backup Option

Today (April 5) is National Flash Drive Day!

Did you know... not only can you download your Band-in-a-Box® Pro, MegaPAK, or PlusPAK purchase - you can also choose to add a flash drive backup copy with the installation files for only $15? It even comes with a Band-in-a-Box® keychain!

For the larger Band-in-a-Box® packages (UltraPAK, UltraPAK+, Audiophile Edition), the hard drive backup copy is available for only $25. This will include a preinstalled and ready to use program, along with your installation files.

Backup copies are offered during the checkout process on our website.

Already purchased your e-delivery version, and now you wish you had a backup copy? It's not too late! If your purchase was for the current version of Band-in-a-Box®, you can still reach out to our team directly to place your backup copy order!

Note: the Band-in-a-Box® keychain is only included with flash drive backup copies, and cannot be purchased separately.

Handy flash drive tip: Always try plugging in a USB device the wrong way first? If your flash drive (or other USB plug) doesn't have a symbol to indicate which way is up, look for the side with a seam on the metal connector (it only has a line across one side) - that's the side that either faces down or to the left, depending on your port placement.

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows® Today!

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows for free with build 1111!

With this update, there's more control when saving images from the Print Preview window, we've added defaults to the MultiPicker for sorting and font size, updated printing options, updated RealTracks and other content, and addressed user-reported issues with the StylePicker, MIDI Soloists, key signature changes, and more!

Learn more about this free update for Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/support_windowsupdates.htm#1111

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 Review: 4.75 out of 5 Stars!

If you're looking for a in-depth review of the newest Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows version, you'll definitely find it with Sound-Guy's latest review, Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows Review: Incredible new capabilities to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs.

A few excerpts:
"The Tracks view is possibly the single most powerful addition in 2024 and opens up a new way to edit and generate accompaniments. Combined with the new MultiPicker Library Window, it makes BIAB nearly perfect as an 'intelligent' composer/arranger program."

"MIDI SuperTracks partial generation showing six variations – each time the section is generated it can be instantly auditioned, re-generated or backed out to a previous generation – and you can do this with any track type. This is MAJOR! This takes musical experimentation and honing an arrangement to a new level, and faster than ever."

"Band in a Box continues to be an expansive musical tool-set for both novice and experienced musicians to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs, as well as an extensive educational resource. It is huge, with hundreds of functions, more than any one person is likely to ever use. Yet, so is any DAW that I have used. BIAB can do some things that no DAW does, and this year BIAB has more DAW-like functions than ever."

Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,612
Posts735,083
Members38,515
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
TonyInManchester, jslynbrrs01, amdwilsns01, Juan Jose, BroDon
38,515 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 185