Go To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
#235668 01/17/14 05:04 PM
Band-in-a-Box for Windows
Journeyman
OP Offline
Journeyman
Hi
I have a number of tunes In BIAB 14 where lyrics are carefully synced to the midi melody. Have tried the "Vocal Synth" with several of these but only achieved a sound that is somewhere between a cat and a muted trumpet. with no words. BIAB sent me to the synth's web site at www.sinsy.jp but couldn't figure out what to do next. I did hear some impressive demos though, would love to get it working. It (she) sings better than I do.
Help here would be greatly appreciated....Hank

M
Mac Offline
Veteran
Veteran
M
If those songs don't have the Note Based Lyrics but instead have the older lyrics that appear above the notation in Notation View, I don't think they will work with this feature.

You would have to first have a Melody entered on the Melody track that follows the lyrics, then enter the lyrics as Note Based in order to do it.

--Mac

Veteran
Veteran
Perhaps try to find and work with a real singer? Those synth things are generally pretty lousy.

You can find my music at:
www.herbhartley.com
Add nothing that adds nothing to the music.
You can make excuses or you can make progress but not both.

The magic you are looking for is in the work you are avoiding.
Journeyman
OP Offline
Journeyman
Hi Mac
When You mention note based lyrics, I presume you mean each word or syllable is placed according to the correct note. The lyrics I am using were entered this way.
Thanks for your reply....Hank

Veteran
Veteran
I hadn't tried it out before, but I get exactly the same results by using Vocal Synth - Auto Mode. The syllables all sound like "kih".

However, Vocal Synth - Manual Mode works OK. After creating the file, you can manually load it on the Sinsy site, then choose wav and save that for loading into BiaB.

-- David Cuny
My virtual singer development blog

Vocal control, you say. Never heard of it. Is that some kind of ProTools thing?
Veteran
Veteran

Dan, BIAB2024, SoundCloud Win11, i7(12thGen), 32GB, 1TB SSD(M.2 NVMe SSD), 2TB Libraries, 1 TB(WD-Black), 2TB SSD(M.2 NVMe SSD)Data, Motu Audio Express, Keystation 61, SL88 Studio, Reaper

M
Mac Offline
Veteran
Veteran
M
Also, there are two different vocalists listed, in my testing I found that the Chinese one did a much better job at the English lyrics than the Japanese one, YMMV.

Journeyman
OP Offline
Journeyman
I thank you all for suggestions
Jazzman, I have viewed the video but It's not working correctly for me. When I go to sinsy.jp and click where you choose file, a window headed "Choose file to upload" opens and every folder in my computer is listed there, so I have no idea what to do next....Hank

M
Mac Offline
Veteran
Veteran
M
You must locate the bb songfile you want her to sing, it must be .mgu type, and select it from there.

--Mac

DrDan #235877 01/19/14 02:32 AM
J
Veteran
Veteran
J

Wow! I listened to that and the generated vocals were...awful! smile What in the world would anyone use this for? It wasn't just that it sounded artificial...many of the words/syllables were not even remotely correct. And, because PG used that example as their demo I am assuming this is as good as the current technology gets?

Seriously, what would anyone use this for?

Last edited by JohnJohnJohn; 01/19/14 02:32 AM.
Expert
Expert
Hi All,

Take a listen to this and see what can be achieved (pity PGMusic can't replicate)

Vocal Synth

George

Windows 11 64 bit, Biab 2023 1006, Realband 2023 (1)
i7 Desktop Computer 16Gb Memory

Mac #235884 01/19/14 03:56 AM
Expert
Expert
Hi Mac, as i was Curious as a Cat, i tried all that, and guess what, LOL: ... it indeed sounded like one of our furred friends ... But if you can get something more out of it, you got me as i am curious again ! - F

Last edited by fiddler2007; 01/19/14 03:58 AM. Reason: correction
M
Mac Offline
Veteran
Veteran
M
The thing is in its infancy, who knows at this point in time if it will develop into something usable in production, or perhaps into something along the lines of a Special Effect sort of thing someday, as in the overuse/abuse of Autotune to get the Cher Effect was.

But consider that there are some folks who cannot speak or sing anymore, like our own good forum member Don, who just might be able to get enjoyment out of their songwriting and demos from the use of this feature.

So many on this forum only see Band in a Box as whatever it is that they themselves want to use it for, there's plenty of room for all the other stuff as well, if you don't like a particular feature, style, addon or command in the program, just don't use it. There are likely others who view that same thing as their "must have".

--Mac

R
Veteran
Online Content
Veteran
R
with a software version of TC helicon available here in BiaB why even try that. Just sign a very simple none vibrato basic vocal track, and generate a harmony and have it fill out separate tracks, and then mix and texture to taste.

Lenovo Win 10 16 gig ram, Mac mini with 16 gig of ram, BiaB 2022, Realband, Harrison Mixbus 32c version 9.1324, Melodyne 5 editor, Presonus Audiobox 1818VSL, Presonus control app, Komplete 49 key controller.
Journeyman
OP Offline
Journeyman
For those who question why anyone would want this vocal synth. When I'm playing one of my very rare gigs, I'm backing my vocalist along with my RB made backing tracks. At home I practice with the same backing tracks, substituting piano or guitar etc. where the vocalist would normally be. I just thought it would be nice to have a vocal at those times....Hank

PS That youtube demo is fantastic. thanks.

Mac #235961 01/19/14 02:07 PM
J
Veteran
Veteran
J
Originally Posted By: Mac
The thing is in its infancy, who knows at this point in time if it will develop into something usable in production, or perhaps into something along the lines of a Special Effect sort of thing someday, as in the overuse/abuse of Autotune to get the Cher Effect was.

But consider that there are some folks who cannot speak or sing anymore, like our own good forum member Don, who just might be able to get enjoyment out of their songwriting and demos from the use of this feature.

So many on this forum only see Band in a Box as whatever it is that they themselves want to use it for, there's plenty of room for all the other stuff as well, if you don't like a particular feature, style, addon or command in the program, just don't use it. There are likely others who view that same thing as their "must have".

--Mac

Yeah, I certainly appreciate that sort of use and I have heard computer generated voices that were reasonably accurate but still artificial sounding...these would be great for someone who cannot speak or sing. But that demo was terrible and many of the words were not even remotely correct. Why would anyone want something so bad? You could hit a garbage can lid with a stick and get closer on many of the words!

J
Veteran
Veteran
J
Originally Posted By: George Nelson
Hi All,

Take a listen to this and see what can be achieved (pity PGMusic can't replicate)

Vocal Synth

George

Thanks for the video...that one was a lot better. I wonder if they did a lot of work on that one though? Maybe the automatic stuff is just still a long ways off from getting the words right.

M
Mac Offline
Veteran
Veteran
M
During the beta testing I ran "Amazing Grace" thru Sinsy as a test.

First time through, using Note Based Lyrics "as written" got some pretty bizarre pronunciations.

"Ah - Mozz - in - Grauss" kind if thing,.

Rewriting the Lyrics such that the spelling forced Sinsy to sing the vowel sounds more properly, such that she did not confuse "Short a" for "Long A" and etc. helped a bit. "Ah Maze Ing Graess"...

--Mac

Veteran
Online Content
Veteran
I worked with some early speech synthesizers in the 70s, and we had to program words with exaggerated phonemes along the lines Mac just described. "Hello" sounded like a fast, clipped "HEElow". We had to type "Hay-uh-LOW-uh" to make it sound realistic.

BIAB 2024 Win Audiophile. Software: Studio One 6.5 Pro, Swam horns, Acoustica-7, Notion 6; Win 11 Home. Hardware: Intel i9, 32 Gb; Roland Integra-7, Presonus Studio 192, Presonus Faderport 8, Royer 121, Adam Sub8 & Neumann 120 monitors
Journeyman
OP Offline
Journeyman
Meanwhile, I'm still trying to get sinsy to speak (or sing) to me....Hank

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Band-in-a-Box® 2024 Review: 4.75 out of 5 Stars!

If you're looking for a in-depth review of the newest Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows version, you'll definitely find it with Sound-Guy's latest review, Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows Review: Incredible new capabilities to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs.

A few excerpts:
"The Tracks view is possibly the single most powerful addition in 2024 and opens up a new way to edit and generate accompaniments. Combined with the new MultiPicker Library Window, it makes BIAB nearly perfect as an 'intelligent' composer/arranger program."

"MIDI SuperTracks partial generation showing six variations – each time the section is generated it can be instantly auditioned, re-generated or backed out to a previous generation – and you can do this with any track type. This is MAJOR! This takes musical experimentation and honing an arrangement to a new level, and faster than ever."

"Band in a Box continues to be an expansive musical tool-set for both novice and experienced musicians to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs, as well as an extensive educational resource. It is huge, with hundreds of functions, more than any one person is likely to ever use. Yet, so is any DAW that I have used. BIAB can do some things that no DAW does, and this year BIAB has more DAW-like functions than ever."

Happy Easter! Holiday Hours...

2024 is well underway - it's already Easter Weekend!

Our Customer Service hours this weekend are:

Friday, March 29: 8-4
Saturday, March 30: 8-4
Sunday, March 31: closed

Regular hours resume Monday, April 1st - no joke!

Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Video: Volume Automation in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created a video to help you learn more about the Volume Automation options in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows.

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Volume Automation

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#volume-automation

Video: Audio Input Monitoring with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created this short video to explain Audio Input Monitoring within Band-in-a-Box® 2024, and included some tips & troubleshooting details too!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Audio Input Monitoring

3:17: Tips
5:10: Troubleshooting

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#audio-input-monitoring

Video: Enhanced Melodists in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®!

We've enhanced the Melodists feature included in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows!

Access the Melodist feature by pressing F7 in the program to open the new MultiPicker Library and locate the [Melodist] tab.

You can now generate a melody on any track in the program - very handy! Plus, you select how much of the melody you want generated - specify a range, or apply it to the whole track.

See the Melodist in action with our video, Band-in-a-Box® 2024: The Melodist Window.

Learn even more about the enhancements to the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024upgrade/chapter3.htm#enhanced-melodist

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,401
Posts732,563
Members38,444
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
Descoward, danielsk, Mark Morgan, zagrajbarke, Ernest J
38,443 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 200