Print Thread
Go To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#236022 01/19/14 05:58 PM
User Showcase
Expert
OP Offline
Expert
It was new years day 2008. Me and my girlfriend at the time, she was the inspiration for this song, were in the kitchen making gumbo. I had recently been to see Walt Wilkins at Gruene Hall and while there I noticed all the women were in a semi-circle by the stage and mesmerized by Walt. He had a full brown beard, golden hair just past his shoulders and deep blue eyes.

I started pacing and was restless so I grabbed a pen and my guitar and this song flowed out. All of the artists in the song are Texas song writers.

[Link no longer valid]

Another Apostle (1-1-2008)

My girlfriend is looking for another apostle
It’s the ones that look like Jesus turn her on
A guitar, a beard, hair down to just about here
Ray Wylie and Walt Wilkins and so on

She drags me to their concerts, she says she loves the music
I think there’s something else going on
She says I should believe her, it’s just americana fever
But it’s the ones that look like Jesus turn her on
The ones that look like Jesus turn her on

And when I get her home I know I can’t go wrong
I sing the words to her favorite Hays Carll song
It ain’t hard to excite her ‘cause she’s thinking about Bob Schneider
It’s the ones that look like Jesus turn her on

(Chorus)

So I bought this here guitar and I learned to hum a tune
And I writ me up an americana song
And I’m studying on that beard, growing my hair down to my rear
Hope there’s some in this bar I can turn on!

BIAB
1164 Celtic acoustic guitar, 598 acoustic guitar, nashtrain drums, 379 Bass, 411 electric guitar, 1727 Piano, background fiddle, solo fiddle, solo peddle steel

Last edited by Andrew - PG Music; 09/02/20 09:04 AM.
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Great stuff! I can see this going down a storm on a gig, it's so infectious and the wry lyric hook draws you in. Very enjoyable!

John

Songs web site
YouTube Channel
BIAB 2019
Cakewalk by BandLab
Studio One 4
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Grooveman,

Love this one! My toes are a tappin'.

Regards,

Bob

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Hi Lawrence,

great lyrics. A toe tapping production and
good vocals.

Guenter

User Showcase
Expert
Expert
Gruvey,
Great tune! Very visual. I can just imagine the video.
SD

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Another cool one man. Love the way the instrumentation draws you in along with like John mentioned "the wry lyric," And, yep, we know all those guys. This style is right in our wheelhouse. Great stuff!

Hey, have you heard Hayes Carll's "She left me for Jesus" It's a hoot.

Last edited by Janice & Bud; 01/20/14 05:43 PM.
Skyline #236202 01/20/14 04:32 PM
User Showcase
Expert
OP Offline
Expert
John, while I have only played this one live with vocal and acoustic guitar it still rocks the gig!

Bob, glad you like it

Guenter, thank you for the kind words

Spacedog, I'm happy it struck you visually

Janice and Bud, Almost as soon as I wrote this song people began to ask me about Carll's tune lol!

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Lawrence,

Top-Notch. All your stuff is good and this tops 'em all.

Excellent writing. Lyric and melody. Outstanding production - every instrument loud and proud and crystal clear - and nestled in perfectly. Builds beautifully. Excellent vocal to top it all off.

Great mix. Not a hair out of place...

floyd

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Gruverider...

Is this a killer song or what??!! Like John said...infectious! terrific write and a great production. Loved everything about it!!!! Thanks for another great listen!

Al & Di

BIAB 2022 Ultra Plus-all StylePaks*Win10*8GB DDR4*I5-6th Gen*AT 2035 Mic*Peavey Nashville 112 Amp*Ibanez ART120 Electric/Washburn D200S Acoustic*Stromberg Monterey Jazz Guitar

Loops: https://aldavidmusic.wixsite.com/bestmusicloops

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Hi Lawrence!

Now that's what I call music with a capital 'M' for magnificent!

Writing a song at such a lively tempo is a challenge because the notes disappear so quickly and the song is over with in next to know time. To make it travel for 2:50 is a huge credit to your writing skills and to your arranging expertise. The production on this is one of the best I've heard on the forum.

Whichever way I come at it, this is one heck of an entertaining song and so incredibly well put together. I'm surprised it's not on the radio or is it?

Regards,
Noel

MY SONGS...
Audiophile BIAB 2024
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Hi Lawrence
These three lines are a total peach!
"And when I get her home I know I can’t go wrong
I sing the words to her favorite Hays Carll song
It ain’t hard to excite her ‘cause she’s thinking about Bob Schneider"

Wonderful stuff!

LyricLab A.I assisted chords and lyric app. Export lyrics and import directly into Band-in-a-Box 2024.
https://lyriclab.net
Play-along with songs you know and love, download SGU files
https://playiit.com/
User Showcase
S
S
Super Job Man. I really like the breaks with just vocals and guitar with the band joining in. Also Like the lyrics and imagery.

User Showcase
J
Journeyman
Journeyman
J
This is a very good song. Lyrics are well crafted and you did a nice job of using RTs.

I like it.

John

User Showcase
Expert
OP Offline
Expert
floyd, you have taught me quite a bit about mixing with your feedback and introducing me to Izotope so if the mixes are getting better, I thank you

Al&Di, thanks for taking a listen and glad you enjoyed it

Noel96, thank you, but no it's not on the radio. I swear I don't know how that's done. When I spoke with our local radio manager awhile back he told me he gets hundreds of CD's a week and just tosses them in the garbage.

User Showcase
Expert
OP Offline
Expert
JosieC, It was great fun to write this song and yes those lines tickle me the most. I think my best work comes from that place where I let go of my ego and look for the truth.

Slowbeat, thanks for listening, I played around with the arrangement a bit before settling on this version.

jphillips, thank you for listening. The drums, bass, and electric guitar along with the piano are part of a style and fit the song right away

User Showcase
Expert
Expert
Americana fever!!!!! Dude, this is sweet, fun, original. Terrific tune. Nice voice too, perfect for this song.

Enjoyed it, that's for sure.

User Showcase
Expert
OP Offline
Expert
olemon, thanks for the comments and glad you enjoyed it

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Great song with some very entertaining lyrics!

Your vocal was top notch and your backing tracks matched perfectly. Outstanding mix also.

Ps – I have a beard and long hair that is about 4” past my collar so you might want to giver her my name wink

Me, it's not about how many times you fail, it's about how many times you get back up.
Cop, that's not how field sobriety tests work.

64 bit Win 10 Pro, the latest BiaB/RB, Roland Octa-Capture audio interface, a ton of software/hardware
User Showcase
Expert
OP Offline
Expert
MarioD, Done.

but you're gonna' regret it! lol!

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Lawrence, Love it, Love it, Love it! Fantastic vocal. Very well written. Super editing and mix. Going for another listen. Definitely my favorite of yours. Tom

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Band-in-a-Box® 2024 Review: 4.75 out of 5 Stars!

If you're looking for a in-depth review of the newest Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows version, you'll definitely find it with Sound-Guy's latest review, Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows Review: Incredible new capabilities to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs.

A few excerpts:
"The Tracks view is possibly the single most powerful addition in 2024 and opens up a new way to edit and generate accompaniments. Combined with the new MultiPicker Library Window, it makes BIAB nearly perfect as an 'intelligent' composer/arranger program."

"MIDI SuperTracks partial generation showing six variations – each time the section is generated it can be instantly auditioned, re-generated or backed out to a previous generation – and you can do this with any track type. This is MAJOR! This takes musical experimentation and honing an arrangement to a new level, and faster than ever."

"Band in a Box continues to be an expansive musical tool-set for both novice and experienced musicians to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs, as well as an extensive educational resource. It is huge, with hundreds of functions, more than any one person is likely to ever use. Yet, so is any DAW that I have used. BIAB can do some things that no DAW does, and this year BIAB has more DAW-like functions than ever."

Happy Easter! Holiday Hours...

2024 is well underway - it's already Easter Weekend!

Our Customer Service hours this weekend are:

Friday, March 29: 8-4
Saturday, March 30: 8-4
Sunday, March 31: closed

Regular hours resume Monday, April 1st - no joke!

Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Video: Volume Automation in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created a video to help you learn more about the Volume Automation options in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows.

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Volume Automation

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#volume-automation

Video: Audio Input Monitoring with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created this short video to explain Audio Input Monitoring within Band-in-a-Box® 2024, and included some tips & troubleshooting details too!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Audio Input Monitoring

3:17: Tips
5:10: Troubleshooting

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#audio-input-monitoring

Video: Enhanced Melodists in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®!

We've enhanced the Melodists feature included in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows!

Access the Melodist feature by pressing F7 in the program to open the new MultiPicker Library and locate the [Melodist] tab.

You can now generate a melody on any track in the program - very handy! Plus, you select how much of the melody you want generated - specify a range, or apply it to the whole track.

See the Melodist in action with our video, Band-in-a-Box® 2024: The Melodist Window.

Learn even more about the enhancements to the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024upgrade/chapter3.htm#enhanced-melodist

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,398
Posts732,549
Members38,442
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
danielsk, Mark Morgan, zagrajbarke, Ernest J, Izzy
38,442 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 199