You need to be logged in to post
Options
Index
#236567 - 01/22/14 02:45 PM [User Showcase] Beauty For Ashes (Original Song)
Loc: United Kingdom
Paul Haynes Offline
Journeyman

Hello all,

Been working on my 3rd recording. WOW this one was a challenge! No matter how hard I tried I found it impossible to match my vocals to my last song. You would think I recorded my vocals on a completely different mic. Well lots of trial n error and it's as close as I can get it. When I have all my songs recorded I will add them to a new "project" in Studio One where I can attempt a proper MASTER but until then...

https://soundcloud.com/devonbiker/beautyforashes

#236572 - 01/22/14 03:04 PM [User Showcase] Re: Beauty For Ashes (Original Song) [Re: Paul Haynes]
Loc: WEST MIDLANDS, UK
sixchannel Offline
Expert

Hi Paul
On Soundcloud it says you wrote this in 1993!
Well worth waiting for. smile
Very well put together backing and the singing is excellent.
The whole things sounds nicely mastered and well balanced.
Thanks for posting - I enjoyed it very much.
cheers
ian

ALL TRACKS - https://app.box.com/s/501rnzrbadng1elvi45hbf7y08kl5oxp

SOUNDCLOUD UPDATED - tracks that were made entirely using BIAB -
http://soundcloud.com/sixchannel

#236574 - 01/22/14 03:19 PM [User Showcase] Re: Beauty For Ashes (Original Song) [Re: sixchannel]
Paul Haynes Offline
Journeyman

Originally Posted By: sixchannel
Hi Paul
On Soundcloud it says you wrote this in 1993!
Well worth waiting for. smile
Very well put together backing and the singing is excellent.
The whole things sounds nicely mastered and well balanced.
Thanks for posting - I enjoyed it very much.
cheers
ian

Hi Ian

Yes I wrote a bunch of songs back in the 90's and thats why I bought BIAB. I always wanted to record them but never had the means to do so. I sing and play guitar (Strum & Pick) so my biggest challenge has always been how to record a song with limited musical abilities - now a days we have so many resources and it's great fun putting something original together. A number of my songs do need a rewrite but I'm recording the best ones first. Thanks for your comments.

#236576 - 01/22/14 03:22 PM [User Showcase] Re: Beauty For Ashes (Original Song) [Re: Paul Haynes]
sixchannel Offline
Expert

Hi Paul
I thought it had a nice reminisce of "Woodstock" about the "feel" of the piece.
Lovely
Ian

ALL TRACKS - https://app.box.com/s/501rnzrbadng1elvi45hbf7y08kl5oxp

SOUNDCLOUD UPDATED - tracks that were made entirely using BIAB -
http://soundcloud.com/sixchannel

#236578 - 01/22/14 03:48 PM [User Showcase] Re: Beauty For Ashes (Original Song) [Re: Paul Haynes]
Loc: Hamlin NY
MarioD Online   content
Veteran

Loc: Hamlin NY
Paul, it sounds like you succeeded in mixing this one as it sounds great.

Good vocals, lyrics and backing tracks what more could you ask for?

Ps –loved the message!

64 bit Win 10 Pro - the latest BiaB and RB - Roland Octa-Capture audio interface - a ton of software and some hardware.

#236629 - 01/23/14 08:00 AM [User Showcase] Re: Beauty For Ashes (Original Song) [Re: Paul Haynes]
Loc: Florida
floyd jane Offline
Veteran

Loc: Florida
Paul,

The recording sounds very good. Good production and a good mix.
The vocal sounds good to me. Do you use one of the pre-existing FX Chains (vocal) in Studio One?

Thought that full harmonies on the chorus would work well for this song.

It would be helpful if you listed the tracks that you use. Is the tambourine from BIAB?

floyd

#236632 - 01/23/14 08:06 AM [User Showcase] Re: Beauty For Ashes (Original Song) [Re: Paul Haynes]
Guitarhacker Offline
Veteran

Nice work on bringing the old stuff into the modern age. I too have a bunch of old stuff that I have considered recording now with BB...... but when I play them, I think it's better to leave most of them in the ash heap of history.

That snare is bugging me. it stands out from the rest of the mix a bit too much. I like it, but it's a few db too loud.

Add nothing that adds nothing to the music

#236690 - 01/23/14 03:41 PM [User Showcase] Re: Beauty For Ashes (Original Song) [Re: Paul Haynes]
Loc: Kentucky
PgFantastic Offline
Veteran

Loc: Kentucky
Outstanding work, sounds great; Love it. Thanks for sharing!

Psalm 57:7 My heart, O God, is steadfast, my heart is steadfast; I will sing and make music.

#236713 - 01/23/14 05:02 PM [User Showcase] Re: Beauty For Ashes (Original Song) [Re: Paul Haynes]
Loc: Alabama, USA
Al-David Offline
Veteran

Loc: Alabama, USA
Hi Paul...

We really like this one! there's nothing wrong with your voice on this...nothing at all! You sound great! The arrangement is just right. We loved everything about this one. Good work!!!!

Al & Di

Loops: https://aldavidmusic.wixsite.com/bestmusicloops

#236796 - 01/24/14 07:38 AM [User Showcase] Re: Beauty For Ashes (Original Song) [Re: Paul Haynes]
olemon Offline
Journeyman

Really nice song and the levels on everything are just right. I'd say you've got it down. Keep 'em coming.
https://soundcloud.com/scott-h-olson

#236830 - 01/24/14 11:07 AM [User Showcase] Re: Beauty For Ashes (Original Song) [Re: sixchannel]
Paul Haynes Offline
Journeyman

Originally Posted By: sixchannel
Hi Paul
I thought it had a nice reminisce of "Woodstock" about the "feel" of the piece.
Lovely
Ian

Thanks Ian, I don't know Woodstock I'm afraid. I thought it had a feel of "Horse With No Name"?

Paul

#236831 - 01/24/14 11:17 AM [User Showcase] Re: Beauty For Ashes (Original Song) [Re: floyd jane]
Paul Haynes Offline
Journeyman

Originally Posted By: floyd jane
Paul,

The recording sounds very good. Good production and a good mix.
The vocal sounds good to me. Do you use one of the pre-existing FX Chains (vocal) in Studio One?

Thought that full harmonies on the chorus would work well for this song.

It would be helpful if you listed the tracks that you use. Is the tambourine from BIAB?

floyd

Thanks Floyd. Yes would love to have harmonies but I don't sing harmony and have no idea how to do it even in Melodyne despite looking on Youtube. The following pics show my Vocal settings in Studio One. Hope this helps

Edited by PaulH (01/24/14 11:19 AM)

#236832 - 01/24/14 11:24 AM [User Showcase] Re: Beauty For Ashes (Original Song) [Re: floyd jane]
Paul Haynes Offline
Journeyman

Originally Posted By: floyd jane

floyd

Drums - EZdrummer
Percussion - EZdrummer
Bass, Strings, Piano - BIAB (POWERPN.STY Praise&&WorshipPiano&&Synth)
Guitar - Takamine
Vocals - Rode K2
Mixed - Studio One Pro

Edited by PaulH (01/24/14 11:24 AM)

#236833 - 01/24/14 11:29 AM [User Showcase] Re: Beauty For Ashes (Original Song) [Re: Guitarhacker]
Paul Haynes Offline
Journeyman

Originally Posted By: Guitarhacker
That snare is bugging me. it stands out from the rest of the mix a bit too much. I like it, but it's a few db too loud.

Difficult one as it will sound differnt on other speakers. I've noticed that if my songs are played on speakers lacking bass they tend to sound tinny. I'm trying to go for a "live" sound and I do like nice clear drums. Thats why I bought EZdrummer because the drums in BIAB (to me) sound washed out alot of the time (lacking realistic sound), especially on drum fills as the cymbols can sound "compressed" plus I like having more control over drum styles, fills and endings.

I was listening to couple of my songs in the car the other day and thought the bass was too heavy on them despite mixing on KRK monitors. I think I need to add some kind of hi pass filter to cut out some of the low bass frequencies. Point taken though I doubt I have mixed them for the final time. Thanks for your comment, appreciated.

Edited by PaulH (01/24/14 11:35 AM)

#236835 - 01/24/14 11:31 AM [User Showcase] Re: Beauty For Ashes (Original Song) [Re: Paul Haynes]
Paul Haynes Offline
Journeyman

Thank you everyone for your comments, it feels safe to share your songs here in a friendly environment. I don't mind you critiquing my songs either if you think I could do anything better, either for this song or any future songs I do.

Near the end of the last chorus it sounds like I am singing with a cold. I wasnt, something has got lost in Melodyne I think. I have noticed Melodyne can add problems to your vocals as well as fix problems.

Edited by PaulH (01/24/14 11:38 AM)

#236905 - 01/24/14 07:17 PM [User Showcase] Re: Beauty For Ashes (Original Song) [Re: Paul Haynes]
Loc: GA USA
Janice & Bud Offline
Veteran

Loc: GA USA
I like the complete production, FWIW, I listened on my KRK studio monitors and it sounded like a clean mix with good stereo imaging. I like the vocal and agree with floyd that harmonies would really round it out. You got it going!

I noticed that you also use KRK's. I've found them to be the closest I've come to monitors that if I can nail it on them the song will tend to sound good on all my other listening options.

Check out our BiaB SoundCloud songs!
J&B YouTube Sampler
J&B Website
Our album "All Over The Map" is on Apple Music, Spotify and others.

#236919 - 01/24/14 08:55 PM [User Showcase] Re: Beauty For Ashes (Original Song) [Re: Paul Haynes]
Sundance Offline
Veteran

Enjoyed it Paul.

Here's a link to thread on creating harmonies. Might be useful for you.

http://www.pgmusic.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=199488#Post199488

Josie

PG Music News
Band-in-a-Box® 2019 for Mac Build 314 Update Available!

Attention Band-in-a-Box® 2019 for Mac users!!! A new free patch update is available, and can be downloaded here!

Summary of Changes for build 314:
Fixed: Video RealTracks would fail to render if using macOS Catalina.
Fixed: Command+Return should be the hot-key for Options | MIDI Patch Maps, etc. | Insert current MIDI chord.
Fixed: Window | Audio Chord Wizard menu item should say "Audio Chord Wizard (Legacy Standalone)", and should not be available for macOS Catalina 10.15 or higher.
Improved: Auditioning styles, RealTracks, and RealDrums will start demo playback faster for online demos.
Improved: Help video button added to the Audio Chord Wizard toolbar in the Audio Edit window.
Fixed: In the Audio Chord Wizard toolbar, the "Auto Marking" and "Auto Analysis" checkboxes did not update after undoing.
Fixed: Clicking the [Analyze] button in the Audio Chord Wizard toolbar should warn the user if no bar lines are set.
Fixed: Launching he Audio Chord Wizard causes button hints to not show in the Audio Edit window, and it is not possible to return to the chord sheet.
Fixed: When using the Audio Chord Wizard, sometimes the hour-glass mouse cursor does not go away after analyzing chords.
Fixed: Double-clicking on a song file in the Finder to open it while Band-in-a-Box is running might cause a "Save before closing?" dialog to get stuck behind the main window.

Holiday Hours - Monday, November 11th

Remembrance Day is Monday, November 11th. In recognition of this day, our hours will be:

Monday, November 11: Technical Support closed. Sales & Customer Service will be open from 8am - 4pm PST.

Our regular hours resume Tuesday, November 12. Review our hours and additional contact information at www.pgmusic.com/contact.htm

Band-in-a-Box® 2019 Testimonial Video - Peter Torpey

Check out our latest Band-in-a-Box video testimonial, which takes using the program to a whole new level! Peter Torpey is a long time program user who has developed a way to work with the program, even though he's visually impaired - and he wants to make sure that others can too!
Click here to watch!

Learn more about Peter here.

View all our video testimonials here.

Want to make your own Testimonial? We'd love to see it! There's information on our Video Testimonials offer here.

Band-in-a-Box® 2019 for Mac Upgrade & Full Manuals Available!
Happy National Saxophone Day!

Today's the day we say "Happy Birthday" to Adolphe Sax, the creator of the Saxophone!
(Adolphe was born November 6, 1814 - 32 years later he patended his saxophone creation!)

We have 35 different RealTracks Sets available for Band-in-a-Box® that include Saxophone RealTracks !

RealTracks Set 304: Blues Shuffle Horn Section
RealTracks Set 294: Big Band "Crooner Shout" Soloist!
RealTracks Set 266: Jazz & Funk Potpourri
RealTracks Set 265: Crooner Ballad Big Band!
RealTracks Set 264: Crooner Bossa Big Band!
RealTracks Set 244: Jazz Background Horns with Jack Stafford
RealTracks Set 236: Cocktail Jazz Horns!
RealTracks Set 220: Flute and Saxes with Jack Stafford
RealTracks Set 217: Jazz Pollwinners 8 – Jazz Waltz Sax Solos
RealTracks Set 216: Jazz Pollwinners 7 – Swingin' Sax & Guitar Soloing
RealTracks Set 215: Jazz Pollwinners 6 – Sax & Guitar Soloing, Ballads & Bossas
RealTracks Set 209: Rockin' Blues Baritone Sax with Gary Smulyan
RealTracks Set 207: Funky Horns
RealTracks Set 194: Jazz Pollwinners 1: Great Saxes: Phil Woods & Gary
RealTracks Set 189: Blues Baritone Sax with Gary Smulyan
RealTracks Set 188: Slow Background Pop Horn Section
RealTracks Set 183: Country Soloists: Sax and More!
RealTracks Set 176: R&B Horns
RealTracks Set 175: Texas Blues-Rock: Smokin' Blues Sax
RealTracks Set 160: Jazz-Funk Movin'
RealTracks Set 145: Jazz-Funk Breezy
RealTracks Set 127: Groovin' Jazz Funk
RealTracks Set 91: Smooth Jazz - Sax Soloing
RealTracks Set 58: Jazz and Pop Waltzes
RealTracks Set 57: Jazz Swing, Laid Back
RealTracks Set 55: Fast Bebop Jazz
RealTracks Set 54: Slow Jazz Ballad
RealTracks Set 52: Fast Samba
RealTracks Set 51: Slow Bossas and More
RealTracks Set 32: Blues
RealTracks Set 19: Jazz Ballad
RealTracks Set 17: Bossa
RealTracks Set 15: Mainstream Swing
RealTracks Set 13: Older Jazz Swing Soloists
RealTracks Set 7: Acoustic Jazz Bass and Rock Sax

Which one is your favorite?

Check our our Saxophonist programs for Windows:
The Jazz Saxophonist
The Rock Saxophonist

Our Band-in-a-Box® 2019 for Mac Special Ends October 31st

Our Band-in-a-Box® 2019 for Mac special ENDS TODAY!!!
Order before 11:59PM PDT to save UP TO 50% when you purchase your Band-in-a-Box® 2019 for Mac Upgrade... and receive a FREE Bonus PAK full of great Add-ons!

It's a GREAT time to order your upgrade to Band-in-a-Box 2019 for Mac, which is compatible with the just-released macOS Catalina - upgrades start at just $49!

We've packed our Free Bonus PAK & 49-PAK with some amazing Add-ons! The Free Bonus PAK is automatically included with most Band-in-a-Box® for Mac 2019 packages, but for more even more Add-ons (including 40 Unreleased RealTracks) upgrade it to the 2019 49-PAK for only $49. You can see the full lists of items in each package, and listen to demos here.

Check out our Band-in-a-Box® packages page for all the purchase options available.

The Band-in-a-Box® 2019 for Mac Bonus PAKs Are Almost Gone!

Purchase Band-in-a-Box® 2019 for Mac during our special (which ends October 31st), and you'll receive a FREE Bonus PAK overflowing with great Add-ons, including MIDI SuperTracks Set 28: Pop Basses with 6 MIDI SuperTracks, 21 RealDrums Transcriptions, 120 guitar licks and riffs in Instrumental Studies 7: Brent Mason 12-key CountryPop Guitar Licks, and 15 new MIDI Styles!

Free Bonus PAK Contents:
-Look Ma! More MIDI 1
-21 RealDrums Transcriptions
-MIDI SuperTracks Set 28: Pop Basses
-Instrumental Studies 7: Brent Mason 12-key CountryPop Guitar Licks

HURRY! OUR SPECIAL ENDS OCTOBER 31st!

Forum Stats
30387 Members
62 Forums
60578 Topics
512198 Posts

Max Online: 2434 @ 11/14/17 12:37 AM