Next Thread
Print Thread
Go To
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Recording, Mixing, Performance and Production
Veteran
OP Online Content
Veteran
Considering the number of DAWs available nowadays (including RealBand), I wonder which are the user's favorites (which could include RealBand).

Would users care to tell us about what product they use, and why?
E.g.
- Availability of VST's,
- Price,
- Value for money,
- Ease of Workflow,
- Capability, Features
- etc etc

Also, how much DAW work gets done in RealBand before moving to your 'other' favorite DAW, if any.

Thanks for your input.

VideoTrack

Last edited by VideoTrack; 01/23/14 08:35 PM.

BIAB & RB2024 Win.(Audiophile), Sonar Platinum, Cakewalk by Bandlab, Izotope Prod.Bundle, Roland RD-1000, Synthogy Ivory, Kontakt, Focusrite 18i20, KetronSD2, NS40M Monitors, Pioneer Active Monitors, AKG K271 Studio H'phones
Veteran
Online Content
Veteran
SONAR.

Because I learned it first (when it was Cakewalk Pro Audio) and because it does everything I need a DAW to do.

BIAB 2024 Win Audiophile. Software: Studio One 6.5 Pro, Swam horns, Acoustica-7, Notion 6; Win 11 Home. Hardware: Intel i9, 32 Gb; Roland Integra-7, Presonus Studio 192, Presonus Faderport 8, Royer 121, Adam Sub8 & Neumann 120 monitors
Veteran
Veteran
I use Sonar X1 essentials as my DAW.

I have been using Sonar since the days of Calkwalk Pro.... before VST's

I start my projects in BB as my writing tool. Then I open the project in Real Band and render all the tracks I plan to use plus the extras, into wave and import them into Sonar. I add more tracks by going back to RB as needed, and I don't hesitate to delete tracks that don't fit the song.

I work in Sonar because I am very familiar with it's most important functions and I like the way I can work in it efficiently.
Cost of Sonar X1 was low, and since I did a cross grade from Music Creator, I saved a bunch.

To be honest, I have not used RB as a DAW because I like the way Sonar does what it does.

You can find my music at:
www.herbhartley.com
Add nothing that adds nothing to the music.
You can make excuses or you can make progress but not both.

The magic you are looking for is in the work you are avoiding.
Veteran
Veteran
I am another Sonar user. I started with Cakewalk when it was Pro Audio thus I have been with this DAW a very long time.

I will try to answer your questions individually.

1- availability of VST’s – not a problem as there are thousands of third party VST’s and VSTi’s available – some are free.

2+3 – price and value for money – that depends on what the buyer is looking for – the best buy DAW based on this criteria is RB – it’s free – Note that I do not upgrade my DAW every year – my last version of Sonar I had for 5-6 years so you have to include things like update costs in your evaluation.

4- ease of workflow – I believe that comes with familiarity of your DAW – I can work very rapidly in Sonar wear as I come to a grinding halt in RB because of this.

5- capability/feature – I work mostly in MIDI and Cakewalk’s products have been the leader in this field for a long time – Sonar X3d also excels in audio production also.

In another thread about changing DAWs I posted something like this: If you have a favorite DAW then use that DAW. However if you don’t then use RB. You already have it and it will probably do everything you need it to do. If you run into something that you need to do in RB but can’t then and only then should you start looking for another DAW.

Me, it's not about how many times you fail, it's about how many times you get back up.
Cop, that's not how field sobriety tests work.

64 bit Win 10 Pro, the latest BiaB/RB, Roland Octa-Capture audio interface, a ton of software/hardware
Veteran
Online Content
Veteran
In that other thread (or one of the many on this subject over the years) I recommended the same as Mario, that if I didn't already know another DAW, I would surely learn RealBand.

Regardless, remember that RealBand has at least one function no other DAW can offer: it can regenerate part of a track from a BIAB song.

BIAB 2024 Win Audiophile. Software: Studio One 6.5 Pro, Swam horns, Acoustica-7, Notion 6; Win 11 Home. Hardware: Intel i9, 32 Gb; Roland Integra-7, Presonus Studio 192, Presonus Faderport 8, Royer 121, Adam Sub8 & Neumann 120 monitors
R
Veteran
Veteran
R
I use RB because it is the easiest to move over from BiaB. Also i have to admit, i usually just start there. it does just about everything i need now. If and i say if i need some feature it does not do, or not well anyway, i use Studio one by Presonus. I got it free with my interface, and did the Black friday upgrade and it is a very nice and stable package.

I believe that there is very little that RB can do. the only real problems i see are the inability to use timing lock VSTis like jamstix to the fullest, but that is about all. anything others can do it can do. Maybe a little different but still possible. One area i like in Studio one is the comping feature. RB does not have that, but you can work around by just recording different takes on separate tracks, then use the node automation to play the parts you want, then export the results to a wave file and import back in and it is done.

I like the simplicity of RB, and the ability to keep tweaking till you got what you want then to me any lack of features is offset by the effort to move it and get it all hammered out in another DAW. Once i get the basic tracks down, work out solos, and such, a sax here, a banjo there, a fiddle in a few bars, i have it 90% done. Just to much work to change at that point.

Lenovo Win 10 16 gig ram, Mac mini with 16 gig of ram, BiaB 2022, Realband, Harrison Mixbus 32c version 9.1324, Melodyne 5 editor, Presonus Audiobox 1818VSL, Presonus control app, Komplete 49 key controller.
Expert
Expert
Sonar X2....

I've grown up with Cakewalk beginning in 1993 or so with Cakewalk 3.0 (midi only)
I'm familiar with the company, work flow of the program and have never felt a need to change.
Cakewalk has always worked well for me.

IMO...all DAW software has it's place as it's a matter of personal work flow preference.

Carry on....

Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: VideoTrack
Considering the number of DAWs available nowadays (including RealBand), I wonder which are the user's favorites (which could include RealBand).

Would users care to tell us about what product they use, and why?

Propellerhead Reason. It is a complete DAW, plus has the coolest interface imaginable, and is the baddest soft synth going. I say a lot about this below--probably more than most people want to read. If you are really interested in a different approach to what we do, you owe it to yourself to go to the company site to see what Propellerhead has to say about it.

Quote:
- Availability of VST's,

Reason does not support VSTs--which is kind of odd, considering they developed the Rewire protocol with Steinberg. Instead they use what are called Refills, which are proprietary sound libraries, and recently opened up what was a closed environment to outside developers with what are called Rack Extensions (REs). REs emulate instruments, effects, mixers, and other useful devices in software.

Quote:
- Price,

Currently on special for $399 USD with some attractive extras. I think it's usually $450, less as an upgrade.

Quote:
- Value for money,

Hard to gauge because there is so much bang for the buck, but for me a no-brainer. Essentially you get a DAW with a rack full of as many virtual sampled and synthesized instruments and effects as your PC will handle. It lets you sample your own stuff, too, quickly and easily.

[quote- Ease of Workflow, [/quote]

Reason is as simple or as complex as you want to make it. It's noob friendly, yet has more depth than I can describe, simply because I don't understand all of it myself. It's way deep. BUT, a beginner can get up and running more easily than with any other DAW I've tried, which includes several versions of Cakewalk, Cubase, Nuendo, Sonar, and others.

Quote:
- Capability, Features - etc etc

The interface is the biggest deal. It looks like the equipment you are emulating, right down to being able to see the back of the Rack and manually route virtual cables, then work knobs, sliders, and switches on the front panel.

Unlimited tracks. Unlimited virtual instruments. Unlimited effects. Microscopic editing capability. MIDI control (up to 4,096 channels with Rewire 2). A highly supportive community (though not as friendly as this one), great customer support, and a highly responsive development team. Think of Reason as the Mac of DAWs; there are rarely any bugs, even in major releases, and those get fixed almost instantly. It's very, very stable.

I recently bought a third-party Refill called Fairlight Platinum. It's the sound set of a Fairlight CMI as well as a couple of other classic 80s-era synths. The instruments would have cost well over $100,000; the Refill was less than $100. Not all deals are that good, but I don't know anyone who gives that kind of value in VSTs or any other format.

I could go on, but words fail. Even the website falls short. You really have to see it in action. An almost fully functional demo is available that lets you create and save complete productions; you have to pay to be able to recall them.

Quote:
Also, how much DAW work gets done in RealBand before moving to your 'other' favorite DAW, if any.

I've only ever poked a stick at RB. My workflow has been to sketch things out in BIAB, then port them over to Reason for revoicing and heavy augmentation. This predates Real Tracks/Drums, though. At the very least I will definitely be working on the drums in RB until I am ready to move a song into Reason. Also, when I started, Reason wasn't a DAW, only a soft synth, so I had to use three pieces of software--BIAB, Reason, and a Rewire-capable DAW. Now I can just use the two.

I could go on forever, but we all have other things to do. Thanks for asking.

R.

Quote:
Thanks for your input.

VideoTrack

Last edited by Ryszard; 01/24/14 11:17 AM.

"My primary musical instrument is the personal computer."
R
Veteran
Veteran
R
VideoTrack,

Your first criteria, really only has meaning with DAW software that does not support VSTs. There aren't that many.

I can only think of these off the top of my head:

1. PreSonus Studio one ARTIST version - only allows you to use it's own plugins
2. Reason (see Richard's comments above)
3. GarageBand - all Apple stuff have their own plugin format, but I think you can use VST/VSTi in Logic through a 'wrapper'. But I have no experience with this.

Other than those, most other software that calls itself a DAW allows use of VST and VSTi. There are a few small limitations of RB's implementation of VST/VSTi regarding use of the project tempo inside of the VST/VSTi, but nothing that is a showstopper.

Your other questions are entirely subjective. What I would recommend you do is decide what YOU think is important from a feature-set standpoint, and then comparison shop. Ease of workflow is one of the most contentious topics because it is so entirely dependent on subjective criteria.

For example, I use a program called Tracktion - and I love the workflow in it because it throws out pre-conceived notions of how DAW should work, and works more like a signal flow diagram - which really appeals to my engineer/nerd side. It seems like most people that are used to fake mixers on screen and so forth hate Tracktion. That's just one case and point.

Richard mentions Reason, which takes an equipment rack and patch-cord view of the DAW world and for folks that love poking around with equipment racks, it fits their thinking hand-in-glove. I really don't care for it myself, but many love it. A whole bunch of the electronic music from the late 90's and early 2000's came from Reason users and experts.

What features are you looking for:

Autoaccompaniment?
Scoring of music?
Pattern based song structure and or sequencing?
Combining music with video?
etc. etc. etc.

It's really impossible to answer your questions, without your goals stated up front. For some of the goals listed above, you probably already know, there is no other choice than PG products - plain and simple.

-Scott

J
Veteran
Veteran
J
I am still quite the newbie; I have really only experienced two DAWs, Reaper and RealBand but I'm happy to share my views. I use BIAB to generate backing tracks for some of my songs. I have tried to use RealBand a few times and have decided it will never be my DAW but it just might become a useful tool in my workflow between BIAB and Reaper! I use Reaper for all of my mixing and mastering.

I love that Reaper is modern and current and frequently updated with a dedicated community. I love that it is available in 64 bit as that is certainly the future if not the present! My rule when starting to use new software is don't start with something that is already in decline like 32 bit.

I love that Reaper sports a modern design. I know some folks will say GUI doesn't matter but in fact it matters very much. If software is easy to use and even fun to use you will be more productive with it. If it is cumbersome and out of date I'm not interested!

I was unaware that there are DAWs out there that do not support VST! Glad Reaper does and in fact I would never consider a DAW that did not. Not sure why anyone would choose to be VST-less! smile

You truly cannot beat Reaper's price. It is free to try and if you decide to buy it is $60! The trial is 100% functional with no expiration so you can use it with 100% of its features for free as long as you want to make up your mind if it is for you.

Reaper has no copy protection nonsense either. So you do not have to worry about it phoning home or about running out of activations.

I found in Reaper things work like you expect...when you right-click something it reacts normal for today's software standards. Simple things but they really make a huge difference in the usability of the software. For example when you mouse over a control in Reaper the mouse scroll wheel becomes active and you can use it to adjust that parameter. Simply brilliant!

I mentioned before there is a huge online Reaper community...seems much larger and more active than the RealBand community here. I really do not know how large it is though.

There is an accurate and up-to-date user guide for Reaper! And loads of resources included and a ton more available to download. There are GUI themes and templates and user extensions. Just an amazing amount of stuff designed to make the DAW even better. And they provide an open SDK in case you wish to write your own extensions.

The only way I could ever see me leaving Reaper is if I took my music to the next level and needed to be more compatible with professional studios as it seems Pro Tools is the DAW of choice for the vast majority.

As a final comment, I strongly disagree with the advice sometimes given around here that "because you got RealBand for 'free' when you bought BIAB you should use and learn it first". My advice is to check out your options. Who wants to spend a bunch of time learning a DAW that won't do what you want or be fun and easy to use? Not me! So do a little research and see which ones have the features you want. Download demos and test them out yourself on a basic project. As I mentioned before Reaper has a fully functional trial that you can produce music with with no restrictions! So why wouldn't you give yourself the choice? laugh

Veteran
Veteran
JohnJohnJohn I agree with you about the GUI and workflow, 64 bit, non MS conforming right clicks and VSTi’s. I also support you informing others about your DAW, However I will respectfully but strongly disagree about new users not using or at least trying RB.

Because of the above mentioned idiosyncrasies I, and it sounds like you also, dislike RB. But just because we don’t like it doesn’t mean someone else wont like it. There are a number of people here would really like RB.

Just my thoughts – peace.

Me, it's not about how many times you fail, it's about how many times you get back up.

64 bit Win 10 Pro, the latest BiaB/RB, Roland Octa-Capture audio interface, a ton of software/hardware
Veteran
Veteran
I'll split my answer into MIDI and .WAV. I think that's why the Cakewalk users here don't use RealBand as much. Cakewalk appears to have stronger MIDI capabilities.

I like RealBand for creating my new tracks in MIDI. As a matter of fact I don't use BIAB too much either. I use the BIAB-like attributes of RealBand to layout tempos/key/chords/etc and put out a simple rhythm section. I then MIDI record remaining instruments and fine tune edit the MIDI notes to clean up timing.

I then convert each track to .WAV and use in Adobe Audition. As I mentioned in another thread I started out in Cool Edit Pro years ago and didn't use much in MIDI. I've stayed with it over the years as it progressed over to Audition. I love this as a .WAV editor simply for the hard core .WAV editing it can do (I'm a .WAV tweaker!). I also like the multitracker abilities of Audition. I'll also add any instruments here that aren't MIDI like vocals/guitar. And as mentioned above, you use what you know. I've been using this software off and on for 15 years and am still running 1.5 (No need to upgrade to the latest here either).

Steve

BIAB/RB 2022, Pro Tools 2020, Korg N5, JBL LSR 4328 Powered Monitors, AKG/Shure Mics.
PC: Win11 PRO, 4 TB M2 SSD, 2 TB HD, 128 GB Memory
Veteran
Veteran
Hi Trevor,

I use Reaper these days. It is everything that JohnJohnJohn has said.

Prior to Reaper, I was a Cakewalk user for many years. I loved the program but I stopped using it with Sonar Home Studio 7 because changes occurred that I didn't appreciate. I found that documentation for Sonar was sometimes difficult to follow. Sonar has changed a great deal since Home Studio 7 and I have no idea what it does these days.

Reaper is an incredibly comprehensive program. It also has some amazing documentation that comes with it as well as extra documentation that can be purchased for very reasonable prices.

What I like best about Reaper ...

1. I worked through the examples in the documentation to develop an understanding of the program. (I still only scratch the surface of what it can do!)

2. There are a huge number of free plugins that come with the program.

3. I love the Reatune plugin because my singing would sound lousy without it. I have Melodyne but I still keep on going back to Reatune (it uses the same pitch-shifting algorithms as BIAB/RB).

4. Loop recording is very easy to set up and run. I like to record 6 - 8 vocal tracks and then I compile a track from the best bits of those.

5. I also use Multiriff in Realband to generate multiple instances of a particular Realtrack and I then load them into Reaper and compile a master instrumental track from them.

6. Compiling a track so that it sounds good is easy in Reaper because of auto-crossfade and snap to grid.

7. I particularly like using the "split at prior zero crossing" because it reduces click sounds that can occur when editing.

8. I find the stretch and compress for specified audio regions incredibly powerful and very useful. For example, if I sing a preposition too early and it sounds too stressed, it's very easy in Reaper to 'stretch' the word before the preposition and to 'compress' the preposition so that it sounds conversational while keeping the overall timing of the lyric intact.

9. When I split a track in Reaper, each individual split section has it's own envelope controls that will adjust the wave-form. This can be used in conjunction with envelopes to achieve some outstanding sound adjustments.

10. Each split section can also host its own FX.

11. With Reaper it's also possible to set up a track so that different ranges of frequency can be channeled to individual effect tracks.

I suspect that what I use of the program is well less that 10% but it's all that I need to make my music.

Regards,
Noel

Last edited by Noel96; 01/25/14 01:18 PM.

MY SONGS...
Audiophile BIAB 2024
J
Veteran
Veteran
J
Originally Posted By: MarioD
However I will respectfully but strongly disagree about new users not using or at least trying RB.

Mario, you and I are in complete agreement! I never said they should not try out RealBand...I just said they are shortchanging themselves if that is the only DAW they try initially just because it was included for "free"! My minimum recommendation would be to install RealBand and Reaper and try both of those.

I don't mean to offend the RealBand fans here but Reaper was designed from the ground up to be a modern DAW to compete with the likes of industry standards like Pro Tools. I seriously doubt there are any folks out in the music world who would choose RealBand just based on its DAW features!

So, if you choose it because it integrates nicely with BIAB that is a great reason! But if you are not planning to use that tight integration with BIAB you should probably consider more serious DAWs.

Last edited by JohnJohnJohn; 01/24/14 07:46 PM.
J
Veteran
Veteran
J
Originally Posted By: Noel96
Hi Trevor,

I use Reaper these days. It is everything that JohnJohnJohn has said.

Prior to Reaper, I was a Cakewalk user for many years. I loved the program but I stopped using it with Sonar Home Studio 7 because changes occurred that I didn't appreciate. I found that documentation for Sonar was sometimes difficult to follow. Sonar has changed a great deal since Home Studio 7 and I have no idea what it does these days.

Reaper is an incredibly comprehensive program. It also has some amazing documentation that comes with it as well as extra documentation that can be purchased for very reasonable prices.

What I like best about Reaper ...

1. I worked through the examples in the documentation to develop an understanding of the program. (I still only scratch the surface of what it can do!)

2. There are a huge number of free plugins that come with the program.

3. I love the Reatune plugin because my singing would sound lousy without it. I have Melodyne but I still keep on going back to Reatune (it uses the same pitch-shifting algorithms as BIAB/RB).

4. Loop recording is very easy to set up and run. I like to record 6 - 8 vocal tracks and then I compile a track from the best bits of those.

5. I also use Multiriff in Realband to generate multiple instances of a particular Realtrack and I then compile a master instrumental track from them.

6. Compiling a track so that it sounds good is easy in Reaper because of auto-crossfade and snap to grid.

7. I particularly like using the "split at prior zero crossing" because it reduces click sounds that can occur when editing.

8. I find the stretch and compress for specified audio regions incredibly powerful and very useful. For example, if I sing a preposition too early and it sounds too stressed, it's very easy in Reaper to 'stretch' the word before the preposition and to 'compress' the preposition so that it sounds conversational while keeping the overall timing of the lyric intact.

9. When I split a track in Reaper, each individual split section has it's own envelope controls that will adjust the wave-form. This can be used in conjunction with envelopes to achieve some outstanding sound adjustments.

10. Each split section can also host its own FX.

11. With Reaper it's also possible to set up a track so that different ranges of frequency can be channeled to individual effect tracks.

I suspect that what I use of the program is well less that 10% but it's all that I need to make my music.

Regards,
Noel

I wish I lived closer to you Noel! I'd pay to sit with you and pick your brain about Reaper. I already love Reaper but you just listed several things I had no idea it could do! This is part of what I love about this DAW is how deep and wide it is!

Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: JohnJohnJohn
However I will respectfully but strongly disagree about new users not using or at least trying RB.

Mario, you and I are in complete agreement! I never said they should not try out RealBand...I just said they are shortchanging themselves if that is the only DAW they try initially just because it was included for "free"! My minimum recommendation would be to install RealBand and Reaper and try both of those.

I don't mean to offend the RealBand fans here but Reaper was designed from the ground up to be a modern DAW to compete with the likes of industry standards like Pro Tools. I seriously doubt there are any folks out in the music world who would choose RealBand just based on its DAW features!

So, if you choose it because it integrates nicely with BIAB that is a great reason! But if you are not planning to use that tight integration with BIAB you should probably consider more serious DAWs.

Yes we are in complete agreement, sorry for the confusion.

If I may add to your message I would say don’t limit yourself to just RB and Reaper. Why not try all the demos of all the DAWs and see which one fits your workflow best?

Arguing over a DAW is like arguing over a car! My Chevy is better than your Ford! DAWs are like cars in that some are Cadillacs and some are Vegas. What you drive/use is your choice only! Personally give me a muscle car/DAW any day!

J
Veteran
Veteran
J
Originally Posted By: JohnJohnJohn

Yes we are in complete agreement, sorry for the confusion.

If I may add to your message I would say don’t limit yourself to just RB and Reaper. Why not try all the demos of all the DAWs and see which one fits your workflow best?

Arguing over a DAW is like arguing over a car! My Chevy is better than your Ford! DAWs are like cars in that some are Cadillacs and some are Vegas. What you drive/use is your choice only! Personally give me a muscle car/DAW any day!

I most certainly agree with you! For me it came down to what was I basically familiar with and what was the cost. Because I had already invested in BIAB I knew RealBand was an option but I also was a little familiar with Reaper and knew that one would cost me only $60 to use. So I didn't bother demoing more expensive options.

However, if money was no object I would probably have chosen Pro Tools simply because of the professional studio connection. Alas, it cost too much for me to justify.

Now my next step is to learn a lot more about Reaper and then learn how best to work RealBand in between BIAB and Reaper to get the most benefit of all my tools!

Veteran
OP Online Content
Veteran
Originally Posted By: rockstar_not
VideoTrack,

Your other questions are entirely subjective. What I would recommend you do is decide what YOU think is important from a feature-set standpoint, and then comparison shop. Ease of workflow is one of the most contentious topics because it is so entirely dependent on subjective criteria.

It's really impossible to answer your questions, without your goals stated up front. For some of the goals listed above, you probably already know, there is no other choice than PG products - plain and simple.

-Scott

Hi Scott
Thanks for the detailed response, it's appreciated, but perhaps you misunderstood my post. I didn't actually ask for a product recommendation for me, I merely asked what others were using, and why.

Certainly I wasn't looking for a suggestion or buying advice on what product I should be purchase.

I agree that more information would be required from me, if i were to ask somebody to accurately tailor a recommended solution specific for my needs.

Sorry if this created confusion.

Cheers
Trevor

BIAB & RB2024 Win.(Audiophile), Sonar Platinum, Cakewalk by Bandlab, Izotope Prod.Bundle, Roland RD-1000, Synthogy Ivory, Kontakt, Focusrite 18i20, KetronSD2, NS40M Monitors, Pioneer Active Monitors, AKG K271 Studio H'phones
M
Mac Offline
Veteran
Veteran
M
It is very esy to succumb to the notion that there might be another DAW software out there that will somehow make your audio creations more bettuh.

IME it is a wild goose chase that will only serve to chew up more time before achieving the goal of recording good stuff.

Love the one yer with.

Once you have exhausted its capabilities, you'll know so much more about the thing that it will be easy to pick a replacement.

--Mac

Expert
Expert
Originally Posted By: Mac
It is very easy to succumb to the notion that there might be another DAW software out there that will somehow make your audio creations more bettuh.

Song writing DAW myth #1. smile

Carry on...

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Band-in-a-Box® 2024 Review: 4.75 out of 5 Stars!

If you're looking for a in-depth review of the newest Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows version, you'll definitely find it with Sound-Guy's latest review, Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows Review: Incredible new capabilities to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs.

A few excerpts:
"The Tracks view is possibly the single most powerful addition in 2024 and opens up a new way to edit and generate accompaniments. Combined with the new MultiPicker Library Window, it makes BIAB nearly perfect as an 'intelligent' composer/arranger program."

"MIDI SuperTracks partial generation showing six variations – each time the section is generated it can be instantly auditioned, re-generated or backed out to a previous generation – and you can do this with any track type. This is MAJOR! This takes musical experimentation and honing an arrangement to a new level, and faster than ever."

"Band in a Box continues to be an expansive musical tool-set for both novice and experienced musicians to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs, as well as an extensive educational resource. It is huge, with hundreds of functions, more than any one person is likely to ever use. Yet, so is any DAW that I have used. BIAB can do some things that no DAW does, and this year BIAB has more DAW-like functions than ever."

Happy Easter! Holiday Hours...

2024 is well underway - it's already Easter Weekend!

Our Customer Service hours this weekend are:

Friday, March 29: 8-4
Saturday, March 30: 8-4
Sunday, March 31: closed

Regular hours resume Monday, April 1st - no joke!

Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Video: Volume Automation in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created a video to help you learn more about the Volume Automation options in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows.

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Volume Automation

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#volume-automation

Video: Audio Input Monitoring with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created this short video to explain Audio Input Monitoring within Band-in-a-Box® 2024, and included some tips & troubleshooting details too!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Audio Input Monitoring

3:17: Tips
5:10: Troubleshooting

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#audio-input-monitoring

Video: Enhanced Melodists in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®!

We've enhanced the Melodists feature included in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows!

Access the Melodist feature by pressing F7 in the program to open the new MultiPicker Library and locate the [Melodist] tab.

You can now generate a melody on any track in the program - very handy! Plus, you select how much of the melody you want generated - specify a range, or apply it to the whole track.

See the Melodist in action with our video, Band-in-a-Box® 2024: The Melodist Window.

Learn even more about the enhancements to the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024upgrade/chapter3.htm#enhanced-melodist

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,398
Posts732,546
Members38,442
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
danielsk, Mark Morgan, zagrajbarke, Ernest J, Izzy
38,442 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 199