Go To
Recording, Mixing, Performance and Production
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Hey Guys/Gals,

I was just reading this article at the recording revolution
http://therecordingrevolution.com/2012/03/30/what-are-your-go-to-plugins/

And I thought it would be interesting to see what folks here consider their top 5 "go to" plugs - the ones you reach for first and use to get your mix 90% there. Not talking about the 10% where you hunt for something <grin> I'm specifically talking about your top five core "go to" ones you pick first and feel most comfortable using:

1. EQ
2. Compressor
3. Reverb
4. Delay
5. Saturation (or whatever is your # five)

For me,

1. EQ - think I'm gonna like the one in Reaper best when I get used to it, before that Easy Q or T Racks.

2. Compressor blank (favs in T3).

3. Reverb - My TC M30 but I'd like something besides just "halls". Reaverb with the "impulses" is hard to get my head around yet.

4. Delay - blank - (used the one in T3).

5. Saturation - blank - maybe Ozone....

Anyway, hope you'll all chime in with your "go to" plugins.

So many plugins so little time. LOL!

Thanks,

Josie

Veteran
Veteran
For the first four functions listed, Ozone 5.

BIAB 2024 Win Audiophile. Software: Studio One 6.5 Pro, Swam horns, Acoustica-7, Notion 6; Win 11 Home. Hardware: Intel i9, 32 Gb; Roland Integra-7, Presonus Studio 192, Presonus Faderport 8, Royer 121, Adam Sub8 & Neumann 120 monitors
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
That's interesting Matt. I've had Ozone 4 for awhile now but on the old computer I could only use one instance. So I'm just now delving into using it on several individual tracks. I'm not crazy about the reverb in Ozone 4 - I've heard it's better in version 5. I really should upgrade next time they offer me a good deal. Thanks so much for sharing!

Veteran
Veteran
I like Ozone to master a stereo .WAV file. If you like to apply effects on multiple channels in a mix, you should get Alloy instead. From the makers of Ozone, it's "Ozone light" as far as using computer resources.

BIAB 2024 Win Audiophile. Software: Studio One 6.5 Pro, Swam horns, Acoustica-7, Notion 6; Win 11 Home. Hardware: Intel i9, 32 Gb; Roland Integra-7, Presonus Studio 192, Presonus Faderport 8, Royer 121, Adam Sub8 & Neumann 120 monitors
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Oh, I should've been more clear. I was asking about top 5 "go to" plugins for mixing tracks - not final mixdown or mastering.

I tried the demo of Alloy and I know lots of people love it but I didn't feel it was for me. Maybe I'll give it another look.

Josie

R
Veteran
Veteran
R
1. EQ - High Pass filter in Tracktion. I do very little EQ work other than cutting out the low end that doesn't need to be there.
2. Compressor - Tractkion stereo compressor
3. Ariesverb by Ariescode. 2nd place goes to Glaceverb
4. Bionic Delay by interruptor
5. Final Mix

Veteran
Veteran
Hi Josie,

Since I bought Ozone and Nectar, I've found that I don't use too much in the way of plugins because those programs have pretty much what I need.

That being said ...

1. For EQ, I really like the versatility of Reapers EQ.

2. ReaComp is also a great compressor. I don't compress too often but, when I do, I use one of the presets and then modify it to suit my need. I also like simplicity of the the "Classic Compressor" from Kjaerhus Audio (it's free). It's a great little unit.

3. Reverb: I have two buses set up - one with a short reverb and the other with a longer reverb. These are part of my beginning template. Like you, I use TC M 30. I like the PG Music reverb too. Unfortunately, Reaper doesn't show the PG Music presets so I load the reverb onto a track in Realband and then have a listen to the different presets. When I find one I like, I use the snipping tool to capture a picture of the settings and then I duplicate those settings in Reaper.

4. ReaTune is a must for me. My voice doesn't always sing in tune so I manually touch up the wonky notes using the tuning plugin that comes with Reaper.

Other than the above, it's all Ozone and Nectar.

Hope this gives some insight,
Noel

MY SONGS...
Audiophile BIAB 2024
Expert
Expert
Sonar has many, many, stock plugins, including some built into the track on the Pro-Channel. And I just bought the IK Multimedia T-RackS 3 Classic suite for mastering on a budget, but am using some of its modules on tracks too.

Anyway, I tend to reach for these first....

1. Pro-Channel QuadCurve EQ
2. Pro-Channel PC76 Compessor
3. Sonitus fx Gate
4. Cakewalk Breverb 2
5. Cakewalk VX-64 Vocal Strip (EQ, Comp, De-ess, etc.)

Veteran
Veteran
For me it's:

1. Ozone

2. Cakewalk Studioverb 2 ( I too do not like the Ozone reverb)

3. Sheppi Spatial

4. Cakewalk paraQ & Sonitus EQ. Depending on the instrument

5. ARC (note) this is not exactly a plug to use for making things sound better in the mix, actually it kind of does the opposite.... it's really designed to ensure the room's sound characteristics do not influence the mix in a negative way. Kind of like an anti-plug.

Not in any particular order, but that is the main plugs I use for just about everything I do.

Depending on the project, I may or may not have all of them in a given project. I kind of had to stretch to find the ones in the list because often I don't have 5 different ones in a project. I keep it simple, and if you have good sonically balanced tracks often the need to use a plug is minimal.

Last edited by Guitarhacker; 01/27/14 06:05 AM.

You can find my music at:
www.herbhartley.com
Add nothing that adds nothing to the music.
You can make excuses or you can make progress but not both.

The magic you are looking for is in the work you are avoiding.
Veteran
Veteran
The SONAR mentions remind me that I have used Boost-11 with success as a limiter, and Tube Saturation to add 'warmth'.

P
Veteran
Veteran
P
Sundance whenever you have a plug in where you can only use one instance of it. Mute all your other instruments and then turn just that track into a wave file with the plugin under a new name, for example save Vocal as Vocal 2 just incase you want to go back later and revamp. This also helps if you find yourself getting into a lot of CPU usage. Take and get the tracks the way you want them to sound, then make a new audio file. You can then take all of your plugins for that track off and free up cpu. This is not as much of a problem as it used to be, but for those that still hear the clicks of an over powered CPU. This is a great work around. As I said before just always make sure to save the new file under a new name, always keep the original unaltered just in case. I hope this helps.

My Tunes

Psalm 57:7 My heart, O God, is steadfast, my heart is steadfast; I will sing and make music.
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Thanks Robert, With the new computer I no longer have that issue but I appreciate the tip. I just switched DAWs and in a little flux over my preferred top 5 for mixing but it's interesting what others have settled on. BTW, you didn't mention your top 5. smile

Thanks Scott, Noel, Olemon, and Herb.

Josie

P
Veteran
Veteran
P
My top 5 Plugins

5. Waves Truverb (for Reverb)
4. Waves Renaissance Eq (For correction and High Pass/Low Pass)
3. Waves Renaissance Compressor for lite mastering before main mastering plug in
2. Izone4 Main Mastering
1. Waves RVOX for vocal (LOVE IT!!)

I could also put at 5. Waves Renaissance Reverb and the free reverb Ambience as I bounce between them and Truverb. Lately have been using the ambience for an insert on the individual tracks and really like the sound of it. I then make and FX channel and add the Waves verbs as needed.
at 4 I could also mention the eq that comes with my Cubase Le4 as I use it for a High Pass and a High shelf on all of the individual instruments
at 2 I some times use Waves Ultramaximizer for mastering
at 1 I sometimes use Waves Loudness for my vocals, but RVOX is my favorite compressor of them all, I have never heard in the box a better vocal compressor and it is so simple to set up!

My Tunes

Psalm 57:7 My heart, O God, is steadfast, my heart is steadfast; I will sing and make music.
M
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
M
This sounds interesting. I hope someday to learn enough to have a clue about what all this means.

Thanks a bunch for all you guys sharing all you know. For a new guy like me, it gives me a window into what's in store throughout my learning process. It's all about the journey!

I read a lot of post to learn and I have to say - this group is the kindest and most willing to help I have ever seen. Even though I am new, no one ever "talks down" to my newbie questions.

Where do you get these plugins?

Veteran
Veteran
These plugins are mostly third-party add-ons, made by individual companies, so you'll have to hunt. A few, like Waves, are a suite of many plugins. There there are some like Ozone by Izotope that is one plugin that offers a suite of functions.

Many of these have demos you can download and try. They will be crippled in some way but you can hear how they sound. I've included a link to the one I use primarily (Ozone) and you'll see buttons for "Buy/Try" in the upper right. The demo works fully for 10 days. http://www.izotope.com/products/audio/ozone/

Tip: use in moderation.

G
Veteran
Veteran
G
Best prices I've gotten for plugins are from Audiodeluxe.com

Veteran
Veteran
There are many decent free ones out there.

Off the top of my head, Top 5 freebies conforming to list requirements of original post.

1. EQ - Depending on need, may include ReaEQ (icluded in Reapers ReaPlug package I believe), PG 10 Band, or even an oldie called A0EQ

2. Compressor - The compressor from same Reaper plugin set is nice, so are Classic Compressor and PGDynamics and PPeakLimit and TripleComp and ..

3. Reverb - Ambience (not just because it is free, this is a go to for me many times) PGReverb, Classic Reverb

4. Delay - Probably Classic delay would be first freebie I'd look for, but many other good ones are out there. I don't find myself needing one that often to really have a 'go to'. Kinda wondered why this one was listed.

5. Saturation (or whatever is your # five) - For me number 5 may be something like stereo imaging or metering .. actually PGRTA is an oft overlooked metering tool. It tells you a lot about levels and EQ at a glance so I'll go with that.

Make your sound your own!
.. I do not work here, but the benefits are still awesome
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Band-in-a-Box® 2024 Review: 4.75 out of 5 Stars!

If you're looking for a in-depth review of the newest Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows version, you'll definitely find it with Sound-Guy's latest review, Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows Review: Incredible new capabilities to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs.

A few excerpts:
"The Tracks view is possibly the single most powerful addition in 2024 and opens up a new way to edit and generate accompaniments. Combined with the new MultiPicker Library Window, it makes BIAB nearly perfect as an 'intelligent' composer/arranger program."

"MIDI SuperTracks partial generation showing six variations – each time the section is generated it can be instantly auditioned, re-generated or backed out to a previous generation – and you can do this with any track type. This is MAJOR! This takes musical experimentation and honing an arrangement to a new level, and faster than ever."

"Band in a Box continues to be an expansive musical tool-set for both novice and experienced musicians to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs, as well as an extensive educational resource. It is huge, with hundreds of functions, more than any one person is likely to ever use. Yet, so is any DAW that I have used. BIAB can do some things that no DAW does, and this year BIAB has more DAW-like functions than ever."

Happy Easter! Holiday Hours...

2024 is well underway - it's already Easter Weekend!

Our Customer Service hours this weekend are:

Friday, March 29: 8-4
Saturday, March 30: 8-4
Sunday, March 31: closed

Regular hours resume Monday, April 1st - no joke!

Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Video: Volume Automation in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created a video to help you learn more about the Volume Automation options in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows.

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Volume Automation

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#volume-automation

Video: Audio Input Monitoring with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created this short video to explain Audio Input Monitoring within Band-in-a-Box® 2024, and included some tips & troubleshooting details too!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Audio Input Monitoring

3:17: Tips
5:10: Troubleshooting

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#audio-input-monitoring

Video: Enhanced Melodists in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®!

We've enhanced the Melodists feature included in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows!

Access the Melodist feature by pressing F7 in the program to open the new MultiPicker Library and locate the [Melodist] tab.

You can now generate a melody on any track in the program - very handy! Plus, you select how much of the melody you want generated - specify a range, or apply it to the whole track.

See the Melodist in action with our video, Band-in-a-Box® 2024: The Melodist Window.

Learn even more about the enhancements to the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024upgrade/chapter3.htm#enhanced-melodist

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,397
Posts732,526
Members38,442
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
danielsk, Mark Morgan, zagrajbarke, Ernest J, Izzy
38,442 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 197