Print Thread
Go To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
User Showcase
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Cold Reality

A few weeks ago I wrote a quick little ditty mainly for Janice to play around with some rock vocal chops. Her brother plays in a blues/rock band and she’s a fan of Johnny Winter’s Texas Blues style so she’s heard a lot of this style. The tune being a straight ahead 12 bar blues so she just “riff sang” this over one take. i.e., didn’t spend any time trying to create a specific melody. Often with her those first "sound check" takes are where she has the most fun.

Several days later I heard Tom’s (tommyad) Hurricane Blues and got to thinking about his fine blues playing…..so we contacted him and he graciously agreed to play on the tune.

We opted to each create our own mix and see how things evolved. The more we communicated the closer the mixes came….but ultimately we all three decided on Tom's mix as it was more gritty and seemed to better fit the harder edgy groove we were looking for. We’ve recorded a lot of blues tunes but they were more of the acoustic or softer electric feel with a more intimate vocal (as a friend said). However Janice wanted to rock out a bit (actually our first rock effort)….and I think she did!

Vocal: Janice via Rodes NT1/Blue Icicle USB
Lead Guitar: Check in with Tom!
RealTracks in song: 386:Bass, Electric, Blues Chuck Sw 102
RealTracks in song: 1591:Piano, Acoustic, Rhythm TexasBluesRockShuffle Sw 130
RealTracks in song: 654:Guitar, Electric, Rhythm TexasBoogieShuffle Sw 140
RealTracks in song: 651:Guitar, Electric, Rhythm TexasBoogie Sw 140
RealDrums: RealDrums in Song: NashvilleShuffle^13-a:Snare, HiHat , b:Snare, Ride

Comments of any persuasion are welcomed! Thanks for listening. Rock on….

Cold Reality

Turn yourself  around and head in a new direction
Point yourself towards a brand new direction 
Find a place that's a little closer to redemption 

Sometimes all you need is to move on
Pick up the pieces and move on
Smell a proverbial rose, kick back in a new dawn

Quit all that worrying about tomorrow
Stop all your fretting over tomorrow
There's some things you'll just never know

Gotta stop 'em from messing up your dreams
nobody oughta mess round with your dreams
Set yourself free from their petty schemes

It seems your friends are letting you be
Yeah everybody’s decided to leave you be 
You don't need another dose of their cold reality 

Last edited by Janice & Bud; 02/01/14 05:17 PM.
User Showcase
Expert
Expert
Ha! Love it. 'Moo, ooo, ooo, ooo, ooove on' Sweet!

Terrific work people. Dang.

(I need to get in on some of this collaboration.)

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
"...Smell a proverbial rose..."

First Blues I ever heard with such an esoteric phrase in it. Could this be a new genre? “Blues Literati”? wink

Let me see....Bluegrass....Blues......seems a likely progression. You guys booked down at the roadhouse?

Janice wailed on this one. Nice playing by Tommy too! Love it.

Regards,

Bob

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Hi Janice & Bud,

nice that Janice goes on rocking.
Great voice.
And Tommy: great guitar and tight mix.
Thoroughly enjoyed it.

Guenter

boehm #238172 02/01/14 12:26 PM
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Rock on indeed!!
Great vocal, Janice and that Tom bloke isnt too bad on the axe either.
Got me right in the mood for tonights Gig.
Gotta Fly!
Ian

Old Guys Rule.The older I get,the better I was!
BB2023 ULTRA, 1013, Win 7 and 10

ALL TRACKS - https://app.box.com/s/501rnzrbadng1elvi45hbf7y08kl5oxp
SOUNDCLOUD-tracks using BB-
http://soundcloud.com/sixchannel
Videos-
https://youtube.com/user/Sixchannel1
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
I never heard the word MOVE sung with so many syllables before.. but I LIKED it!

Y'all sound better than most of the music on my MP3 player!

We need to find a commercial outlet for the talent on this forum... seems a shame to hog it all for ourselves when the whole world would like it too...

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Another knockout number. Janice's vocal delivers a fantastic blues feel, together with beautiful clean phonetics.

No need to add anything about the arrangement. It's perfect...

BIAB & RB2024 Win.(Audiophile), Sonar Platinum, Cakewalk by Bandlab, Izotope Prod.Bundle, Roland RD-1000, Synthogy Ivory, Kontakt, Focusrite 18i20, KetronSD2, NS40M Monitors, Pioneer Active Monitors, AKG K271 Studio H'phones
User Showcase
Apprentice
Apprentice
Nice project, glad to see folks can work together and not have to worry about a bill.

That in your face sound blew my hair out of style:)

Keep on Rockin in the Free World!

DA...

Hp Z Workstation - Akai MPK 49 - Intimate Headphone Listening http://soundcloud.com/digital-angel
User Showcase
Expert
Expert
sooo sweet! great colab!!!

definite Patsy Cline vibe in the vocals here!

much enjoyed!

User Showcase
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted By: olemon
Ha! Love it. 'Moo, ooo, ooo, ooo, ooove on' Sweet!
Terrific work people. Dang.
(I need to get in on some of this collaboration.)

Thanks! That phrase just happened. It surprised both of us....

Originally Posted By: 90 dB
"...Smell a proverbial rose..."

First Blues I ever heard with such an esoteric phrase in it. Could this be a new genre? “Blues Literati”? wink
Let me see....Bluegrass....Blues......seems a likely progression. You guys booked down at the roadhouse?
Janice wailed on this one. Nice playing by Tommy too! Love it.
Regards,

Bob

"blues literati?" That's a good un!! I can see all those blues guys sitting around outside the coffee house discussing the latest esoterica.....glad you liked it.

Originally Posted By: boehm
Hi Janice & Bud,
nice that Janice goes on rocking.
Great voice.
And Tommy: great guitar and tight mix.
Thoroughly enjoyed it.
Guenter

Thanks Guenter. We always appreciate your comments!

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Sounds like ya'll had a blast doing this and it was every bit as fun to listen to Janice and Tommy cutting loose.

Sounds great.

Josie

User Showcase
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted By: sixchannel
Rock on indeed!!
Great vocal, Janice and that Tom bloke isnt too bad on the axe either.
Got me right in the mood for tonights Gig.
Gotta Fly!
Ian

Thanks Ian. Hope that mood groove lasted!

Originally Posted By: Pat Marr
I never heard the word MOVE sung with so many syllables before.. but I LIKED it!

Y'all sound better than most of the music on my MP3 player!

We need to find a commercial outlet for the talent on this forum... seems a shame to hog it all for ourselves when the whole world would like it too...

Thanks Pat for those kind words. It's great to see you around again. Yeah she worked that word over quite well. I never know how she's gonna sing something until we turn the mic on....and never does she!

Last edited by Janice & Bud; 02/01/14 08:18 PM.
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Holy Smokes...

Is this hot or what? And down right sweet!!!!!!!!!!!!

Great vocals by Janice! Di is the same way in that her first take is almost always the best. You got some vocal chops, lady!

Tom, you be wailing, man! Roadhouse Blues and Swing Blues are my faves and this rocks the house down. Sweet licks and great tone.

And Bud, that lyric says everything it needs to and more.

Kudos to all concerned! Super great tune and performance! Best to you..

Al & Di

BIAB 2022 Ultra Plus-all StylePaks*Win10*8GB DDR4*I5-6th Gen*AT 2035 Mic*Peavey Nashville 112 Amp*Ibanez ART120 Electric/Washburn D200S Acoustic*Stromberg Monterey Jazz Guitar

Loops: https://aldavidmusic.wixsite.com/bestmusicloops

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Janice, Bud and Tom,

Now THAT's the music I like.

Janice's voice is excellent, as usual. As I typed that she sang "set your self free-ee" YEH
First takes can be the best, with a good singer, as the vocal calisthenics are then spontaneous, as in "set yourself free"

and YEH Tom CAN rock, beautiful guitar work, beautiful. *shakes hand* The hands off fret slide at the end is a great way to end a rockin' song.

And I do wish I had a more extensive vocabulary blush to do that song justice.

EXCELLENT

Alyn

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: VideoTrack
Another knockout number. Janice's vocal delivers a fantastic blues feel, together with beautiful clean phonetics.

Been said!

LyricLab A.I assisted chords and lyric app. Export lyrics and import directly into Band-in-a-Box 2024.
https://lyriclab.net
Play-along with songs you know and love, download SGU files
https://playiit.com/
User Showcase
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted By: VideoTrack

Thanks! I thought she got the blues thing going and then with Tom's guitar it started cookin'

Originally Posted By: Digital Angel
Nice project, glad to see folks can work together and not have to worry about a bill.

That in your face sound blew my hair out of style:)

Keep on Rockin in the Free World!

DA...

Thanks! Tom's mix was the big reason for your hair getting blown.....

Originally Posted By: gruverider
sooo sweet! great colab!!!

definite Patsy Cline vibe in the vocals here!

much enjoyed!

Thanks Lawrence!

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
To all, Major fun here. What a blast to be able to work with two of the most creative and talented people I've met in a while. Thanks to everyone for the wonderful comments about the song. It was a privilege to be asked to work with Bud and Janice and to be able to get to know them a little better with regards to our personal lives. They both are extremely easy to work with and we managed to stay focused and on the same page throughout the process. Don't be surprised if we do another one. Thanks again to all our forum friends for checking this one out, we all three appreciate it. Tom

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Hi, Janice & Bud & Tommy !

Little late as ususal
as I mostly spend the
weekends far away from my
computer !:)) .....
I liked your bluesy rock
really very much:))
It is easy to hear that
the feeling is right and
everyone´s having a good time,
so did I :))

Cheers
Dani

Last edited by dani48; 02/02/14 03:37 PM.
User Showcase
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted By: Sundance
Sounds like ya'll had a blast doing this and it was every bit as fun to listen to Janice and Tommy cutting loose.
Sounds great.
Josie

Yes it was fun! And Tommy sho nailed it. Thanks

Originally Posted By: Al-David
Holy Smokes...

Is this hot or what? And down right sweet!!!!!!!!!!!!

Great vocals by Janice! Di is the same way in that her first take is almost always the best. You got some vocal chops, lady!

Tom, you be wailing, man! Roadhouse Blues and Swing Blues are my faves and this rocks the house down. Sweet licks and great tone.

And Bud, that lyric says everything it needs to and more.

Kudos to all concerned! Super great tune and performance! Best to you..

Al & Di

Thank y'all! Those are some generous and kind remarks. Cool to hear that Di is a "first take lady" also. I think it was Roy Acuff that said you lose a little something each time after that first take....although it might improve technically I guess.

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Janice, Bud, Tom...

Stellar!

"Find a place that's a little closer to redemption"

"You don't need another dose of their cold reality"

What great lines!

Everything about this is, well... excellent. The tracks are terrific. The mix is top-notch - pro. Tom, I can't imagine the lead guitars being done ANY better - bar none! In the pocket!

Janice - you know you are one of my favorite singers - and you just keep proving you are comfortable no matter the genre.. Awesome vocal!

All three of ya... HOW in the world do you expect to top THIS!!!???

floyd

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Band-in-a-Box® 2024 Review: 4.75 out of 5 Stars!

If you're looking for a in-depth review of the newest Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows version, you'll definitely find it with Sound-Guy's latest review, Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows Review: Incredible new capabilities to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs.

A few excerpts:
"The Tracks view is possibly the single most powerful addition in 2024 and opens up a new way to edit and generate accompaniments. Combined with the new MultiPicker Library Window, it makes BIAB nearly perfect as an 'intelligent' composer/arranger program."

"MIDI SuperTracks partial generation showing six variations – each time the section is generated it can be instantly auditioned, re-generated or backed out to a previous generation – and you can do this with any track type. This is MAJOR! This takes musical experimentation and honing an arrangement to a new level, and faster than ever."

"Band in a Box continues to be an expansive musical tool-set for both novice and experienced musicians to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs, as well as an extensive educational resource. It is huge, with hundreds of functions, more than any one person is likely to ever use. Yet, so is any DAW that I have used. BIAB can do some things that no DAW does, and this year BIAB has more DAW-like functions than ever."

Happy Easter! Holiday Hours...

2024 is well underway - it's already Easter Weekend!

Our Customer Service hours this weekend are:

Friday, March 29: 8-4
Saturday, March 30: 8-4
Sunday, March 31: closed

Regular hours resume Monday, April 1st - no joke!

Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Video: Volume Automation in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created a video to help you learn more about the Volume Automation options in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows.

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Volume Automation

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#volume-automation

Video: Audio Input Monitoring with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created this short video to explain Audio Input Monitoring within Band-in-a-Box® 2024, and included some tips & troubleshooting details too!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Audio Input Monitoring

3:17: Tips
5:10: Troubleshooting

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#audio-input-monitoring

Video: Enhanced Melodists in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®!

We've enhanced the Melodists feature included in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows!

Access the Melodist feature by pressing F7 in the program to open the new MultiPicker Library and locate the [Melodist] tab.

You can now generate a melody on any track in the program - very handy! Plus, you select how much of the melody you want generated - specify a range, or apply it to the whole track.

See the Melodist in action with our video, Band-in-a-Box® 2024: The Melodist Window.

Learn even more about the enhancements to the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024upgrade/chapter3.htm#enhanced-melodist

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,399
Posts732,550
Members38,442
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
danielsk, Mark Morgan, zagrajbarke, Ernest J, Izzy
38,442 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 199