Index
Next Thread
Print Thread
Go To
Off-Topic
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran

A student brought this to class today. Seems a very good unit for 7US. Small unit with a big bright, animated display. Turns green when you are on pitch.

Musedo Tuner

Have any of you tried this? Is it as good as it seems?

Flatfoot sez: Call me when 'Talent-in-a-Box' is ready to ship! -- [8{>

Got some tunes on You Tube:
http://www.youtube.com/user/flatfoot50
My BiaB lesson site:
http://jdwolfe0.wixsite.com/learnbiab
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
I have Fender- and Korg-brand tuners similar to that for which I paid $20. I wouldn't expect much in the way of durability, but at that price I'd snatch 'em up and take good care.

HTH,

R.

"My primary musical instrument is the personal computer."
Off-Topic
R
Veteran
Veteran
R
flatfoot, if you ever go to NAMM, in one of the basement halls, you can pick up shedloads of these type of tuners for about 5 bux each - even though I believe you aren't supposed to transact on the floor of NAMM.

Off-Topic
M
Mac Offline
Veteran
Veteran
M
Today's Digital Tuners are like the Digital Watch - at first the technology was rather expensive but soon enough the wonders of modern manufacturing techniques have resulted in them being both prolific and inexpensive. But still very accurate, this due to the quartz circuit timing.

Not uncommon to find a digital tuner inside the Goodie Bag of freebies handed out at conventions, etc. these days.

As to whether or not a specified brand or model is a "good deal" in the sense of it being a long-lasting and robust piece of gear, well, that is going to be much like the aforementioned Digital Watch situation. Some may last and last, others may not.

But for the prices they are going for, who cares?

At 5 to 7 dollar mark, one can pick up TWO of the doggone things and still spend far less money than a single clampon digital tuner would have set ou back just a few short years ago, clamp one on each of two guitars and still have double redundancy in case one of 'em does not perform.

--Mac

Off-Topic
Veteran
Online Happy
Veteran
I have a standalone tuner and also a built in one on my crafter guitar.

When I tune with them and then play an arpeggio over a chord I still notice some strings a little out, so I do a little manual adjustment.

I certainly don't consider myself to have a great ear or anything like that, but it seems tuning with these tuners is not as simple as it seems according to this article.

http://www.endino.com/archive/tuningnightmares.html

Musiclover

Musiclover

My music https://www.youtube.com/user/donegalprideofall

Windows 10 (64bit) M-Audio Fast Track Pro, Band in a Box 2024, Cubase 13, Cakewalk and far too many VST plugins that I probably don't need or will ever use smile
Off-Topic
R
Veteran
Veteran
R
One brand that I now avoid - due to poor mechanical design and the logic of their low battery indicator being too-little-too-late is SNARK.

Mine hasn't broken yet, but I know far too many folks that bought theirs and the little arm that holds the ball of the ball/socket joint, or the socket itself has broken.

Mine, it stops working on vibration pickup mode, before the low battery indiciator goes into action. So, I was doing a quick pre-gig check that there was battery life there, and then in the gig - no way to tune (and where I play, the HVAC and lighting changes during the 'set' do mess with tuning of my cheap bass - so mid-set tuning is necessary).

Fortunately, the gig location bought a Zoom B3 bass amp sim/multi-FX which has a totally usable tuner built in, and I don't have to rely on the Snark any longer. It has made it's way to 'use only if nothing else is available' status.

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
I prefer the old skool tuners.

I have a Conn Strobe.... I used to set it on my guitar amp, and left it plugged into the line level out of the amp. That baby is the industry standard and was used for decades to tune anything and everything.....

I now have it in my studio and also have a few el-cheapo tuners that I have picked up along the way which have built in mics and they are fairly accurate for most work I do.

You can find my music at:
www.herbhartley.com
Add nothing that adds nothing to the music.
You can make excuses or you can make progress but not both.

The magic you are looking for is in the work you are avoiding.
Off-Topic
M
Mac Offline
Veteran
Veteran
M
The Tuner should be used as visual feedback to train the ears.

Once the ears can hear the beats, the tuner is superflous, you'll find that you not only no longer need it, you can even reach up and adjust a string that goes out as needed, while playing.

The human ear and the gray matter that is connected to it is an amazing test instrument in and of itself. One can even get to the point where they can perform intonation adjustments at the bridge using nothing other than the ear - and be "spot on" every time.

I realize that such is not for everybody, those who are inclined should investigate it, though. Training the ear to know exact intonation not only comes in handy for tuning the instrument, such can make a world of difference in Performance as well. Each note of the Tempered Scale soon becomes familiar like an old friend.

Those who have been using tuners of ANY type, stroboscopic or digital, may be surprised by how well that visual feedback has already trained their hearing, BTW. I've had students put the tuner away for awhile and most of them find out what they can really hear when tuning their guitars only then.

With the guitar, one can also feel the Beats between two notes that are supposed to be the same note, but are a few cycles "off" of each other, in the back of the neck as modulated pulsing. Feel it, then work towards hearing it.

In the Physicist's world, the science of matching two frequencies exactly is called, "Zero Beating" for a reason.

--Mac

Off-Topic
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
>>>...The human ear and the gray matter that is connected to it is an amazing test instrument in and of itself...>>>

Amen to that. The tuner is useful as a reference, a starting point for a lesson on hearing intervals. Once one has arrived at ones destination, the map is no longer needed.

My BiaB lesson site:
Off-Topic
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
On quick inspection, the Musedo seems to be of better-than-average build quality. A pair of batteries for my Intelli-tune costs almost the same as a whole new Musedo, so i will be picking up a couple...

My BiaB lesson site:
Off-Topic
L
Veteran
Veteran
L

I always use a tuner.
I have a Snark and it works fine if you take care of it.
I've played with too many musicians who claim they can tune by ear, who really should use a tuner.

Just sayin'.

LLOYD S

Off-Topic
M
Mac Offline
Veteran
Veteran
M
Gee, I wonder how all those pianos and cathedral organs managed to get tuned perfectly for several hundred years without electronic tuners?

How do all those members of orchestras and philharmonic orchestras manage to perfectly tune their instruments without each having an electronic tuner?

Did Andres Segovia need a Stroboconn?

Chet Atkins?

Didn't realize that encouraging folks to pursue excellence would be interpreted as being snarky. But I should have predicted it, come to think about it.

Maybe you need to find some better musicians to play with.

--Mac

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Quote:
Maybe you need to find some better musicians to play with.

Mac,

I’ve played with some pretty good musicians over the years and a couple of them come to mind who were proud of their ability to tune to standard pitch by ear.

One of them was a blind musician that can be heard on my signature link. The other was an award winning guitarist. Whenever either one of them would get up to take a leak during a jam session I would grab their mando/guitar and tune it with a tuner.

They were ALWAYS off by a little bit. No doubt there are people who can tune to perfect pitch by ear, but they are few and far between. Most of the people who think they can are simply getting close, but their efforts won't stand up to an electronic tuner.

Off-Topic
M
Mac Offline
Veteran
Veteran
M
The first successful electronic instrument tuner was invented and patented by Conn in or around 1936 IIRC.

We have quite the compendium of recorded musics in which we can hear perfect tuning examples throughout.

I can't recall ever witnessing the late Joe Pass using an electronic tuner, as one example out of probably hundreds, if not thousands.

That does not mean that one should not own or use a tuner.

All I do is try to encourage everybody to use the tuner as a method to better train the hearing abilities along those lines.

I don't like depending on "crutches" exclusively, but I also firmly believe that there is indeed a time and a place for everything, including the electronic tuner. For example, if confronted with a huge arena, likely a good idea to plug directly into that tuner...

--Mac

Off-Topic
M
Mac Offline
Veteran
Veteran
M
Here is a paraphrase of a story that the late Joe Pass told onstage at one of his solo concerts (paraphrased).

A stage technician was onhand when a young rock guitarist showed up to set up his equipment for the show later that evening.

The young fellow spent about a half hour or more facing his amplifier stack with his guitar plugged into an electronic tuner, grimacing, turning tuners and watching the dials spin.

When the rock star finally got down from the stage, the old stage hand said to him, "I couldn't help but notice how long you spent in tuning your guitar. You know, Andres Segovia was here awhile back and he only spent about twenty seconds tuning his guitar."

And the kid said, "Well maybe he don't give a $hit!"

grin

--Mac

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
I'm perfectly capable of tuning by ear. However, I may use a tuner because (a) I don't want to be heard tuning from stage, (b) it may be too loud to hear myself even if I didn't care about being heard, and (c) I play a Strat-style guitar with a whammy bar, meaning the string tension is interactive. It's just faster to use the tool.

"My primary musical instrument is the personal computer."
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Mac,

If you'll notice, I didn't say it couldn't be done.

But if Joe Pass were still with us, I'd put a $100 bill down that his tuning wouldn't stand up to an electronic tuner.

By the way, Joe is one of favorite guitarists.

Off-Topic
M
Mac Offline
Veteran
Veteran
M
Zero Beat is Zero Beats, man.

Off-Topic
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
The electronic tuner is only a reference. I use an electronic tuner for speed, especially when I am in a session with other players who will not stop long enough for me to tune by ear. Also handy in noisy environments.

Tuning electronically is good for making sure I am at A440, but it is always approximate. Tuning by ear takes a minute longer, and the job of tuning will always be incomplete without it.

For instance, I will adjust my B string one way for Bluegrass, when we play in G a lot, and differently for blues with lots of songs in E. Different again for playing jazz in flat keys and closed fingerings.

I would expect Joe Pass to use a different standard for what he does than the one I would use for folk music in open-chord tunings.

Last edited by flatfoot; 02/01/14 07:00 PM.

My BiaB lesson site:
Off-Topic
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
I also make slight corrections on sustained single notes with my left hand as I play. I though everybody did.

Last edited by flatfoot; 02/01/14 09:23 PM.

My BiaB lesson site:
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Update Your PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 Today!

Add updated printing options, enhanced tracks settings, smoother use of MGU and SGU (BB files) within PowerTracks, and more with the latest PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 update!

Learn more about this free update for PowerTracks Pro Audio & download it at www.pgmusic.com/support_windows_pt.htm#2024_5

The Newest RealBand 2024 Update is Here!

The newest RealBand 2024 Build 5 update is now available!

Download and install this to your RealBand 2024 for updated print options, streamlined loading and saving of .SGU & MGU (BB) files, and to add a number of program adjustments that address user-reported bugs and concerns.

This free update is available to all RealBand 2024 users. To learn more about this update and download it, head to www.pgmusic.com/support.realband.htm#20245

The Band-in-a-Box® Flash Drive Backup Option

Today (April 5) is National Flash Drive Day!

Did you know... not only can you download your Band-in-a-Box® Pro, MegaPAK, or PlusPAK purchase - you can also choose to add a flash drive backup copy with the installation files for only $15? It even comes with a Band-in-a-Box® keychain!

For the larger Band-in-a-Box® packages (UltraPAK, UltraPAK+, Audiophile Edition), the hard drive backup copy is available for only $25. This will include a preinstalled and ready to use program, along with your installation files.

Backup copies are offered during the checkout process on our website.

Already purchased your e-delivery version, and now you wish you had a backup copy? It's not too late! If your purchase was for the current version of Band-in-a-Box®, you can still reach out to our team directly to place your backup copy order!

Note: the Band-in-a-Box® keychain is only included with flash drive backup copies, and cannot be purchased separately.

Handy flash drive tip: Always try plugging in a USB device the wrong way first? If your flash drive (or other USB plug) doesn't have a symbol to indicate which way is up, look for the side with a seam on the metal connector (it only has a line across one side) - that's the side that either faces down or to the left, depending on your port placement.

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows® Today!

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows for free with build 1111!

With this update, there's more control when saving images from the Print Preview window, we've added defaults to the MultiPicker for sorting and font size, updated printing options, updated RealTracks and other content, and addressed user-reported issues with the StylePicker, MIDI Soloists, key signature changes, and more!

Learn more about this free update for Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/support_windowsupdates.htm#1111

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 Review: 4.75 out of 5 Stars!

If you're looking for a in-depth review of the newest Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows version, you'll definitely find it with Sound-Guy's latest review, Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows Review: Incredible new capabilities to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs.

A few excerpts:
"The Tracks view is possibly the single most powerful addition in 2024 and opens up a new way to edit and generate accompaniments. Combined with the new MultiPicker Library Window, it makes BIAB nearly perfect as an 'intelligent' composer/arranger program."

"MIDI SuperTracks partial generation showing six variations – each time the section is generated it can be instantly auditioned, re-generated or backed out to a previous generation – and you can do this with any track type. This is MAJOR! This takes musical experimentation and honing an arrangement to a new level, and faster than ever."

"Band in a Box continues to be an expansive musical tool-set for both novice and experienced musicians to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs, as well as an extensive educational resource. It is huge, with hundreds of functions, more than any one person is likely to ever use. Yet, so is any DAW that I have used. BIAB can do some things that no DAW does, and this year BIAB has more DAW-like functions than ever."

Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,582
Posts734,689
Members38,499
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
Tusar Sarkar, RTW, wtsy365, DerFlex, xabialonso259@gmai
38,499 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 200