Index
Next Thread
Print Thread
Go To
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
Band-in-a-Box for Windows
Apprentice
Apprentice
Is there a discount for existing PC 2009 Users to move to Mac platform?
I didn't notice an offer?

BIAB 2010.5 Build 20
Logic Studio 10.3.1
MOTU UltraLite-mk3
Sierra 10.12.4
Mac Mini 7.1 Intel Core i7 3 GHz, Memory 16GB
M
Mac Offline
Veteran
Veteran
M
Quote:

Is there a discount for existing PC 2009 Users to move to Mac platform?
I didn't notice an offer?

Yes. Click on this sentence to view the Crossgrade pricing list (scroll down).

--Mac

Apprentice
Apprentice
Glad you pointed that out Mac!
Thank you.
You still da man!

BIAB 2010.5 Build 20
Logic Studio 10.3.1
MOTU UltraLite-mk3
Sierra 10.12.4
Mac Mini 7.1 Intel Core i7 3 GHz, Memory 16GB
M
Mac Offline
Veteran
Veteran
M
Thank forum user Blake, who passed that info onto me.

Glad you got it sorted,

--Mac

E
Apprentice
Apprentice
E
Thank you Peter for this new Mac Version. I have been using it for the last few days and it runs really well on my dual mac. The real tracks are fantastic and provides great inspiration for creativity.

I can recommend this new version to all those out there who have Macs. YOu can import the audio tracks into Garageband and Logic for further mastering and also adding other parts. It gives a really professional mix.

Thanks again
enjfb

Enthusiast
Enthusiast
My goodness it's nice to finally get this! The program sounds so much better with real drum tracks. I'm waiting for my hard disk to get all the files.

Has anybody run the entire program from the PG Music external hard disk?

Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Quote:

Funny, I have zero issues with PC's...The day I hear that the Mac version runs twice as fast, has all the features and sounds better I'll go find part time work to buy one, maybe. Until then my 2 xp and 1 vista systems have zero issues except the Vista system won't run vsc Dxi. Oh well. Runs the Ketron and Jv1010 without problems...And if I get a Mac do I have to save for a BMW and downtown Toronto condo on the waterfront with a villa in France? You can buy a good enough PC netbook runs fast with 160 meg hd and xp for just under 200 bucks canuck. Must be giving them away in the U(ndeveloped) S(outhern) A(rea).

Ha! I used to say the same thing - that PC's were fine and I had no issues....well, except for "x" which happened once, but wasn't so bad, and "y" which happened twice, but then I figured out how to avoid it, and "z"...you get the idea.

I would say that the differences between Mac computers and PC's are over-hyped, perhaps greatly so. The PC's I've owned have accomplished the vast majority of tasks I've assigned them without serious problems, and the quality of audio, visual, software, etc., vis-a-vis the price equates to a tremendous value. And it ain't like Macs don't have problems - my brand new iMac I bought 15 months ago had a bad hard disk and crashed about a month into ownership, and I lost some stuff in the process. But having owned 2 Macs now for almost 2 years, I can say categorically they are better computers.

They are more stable; there are noticeably fewer slow downs and breakdowns of the operating system. Installed software works better - again, judging by the smoothness of operation, the number of spontaneous crashes, etc. As for security, I am sure the day will come when the hacker guys start attacking Macs, but for now, in this department, it ain't even close. In my office, a large corporation in New Jersey with a large IT department and a first class firewall and security set up, I and a coworker have had to have our PCs sanitized multiple times for spyware/malware issues. This has never happened on my home iMac computers, which I believe are probably less firewall protected.

Apple Computer gets a bit carried away with their marketing pitches, their retail store staff tend to be rather condescending (although terminally hip, that's for sure), and they are over-priced, but there is no doubt in my mind they have the better product.

As time goes by, the difference becomes more evident, and the more you realize it's nice to have a computer that you don't have to "debug" every few weeks for some mysterious problem. You only notice this after owning the Mac. Whether it's worth the difference in price is a question we all must answer for ourselves, but just as my brother of modest income spends more for Toyota and Honda autos in order to get the reliability advantage, so do I think Macs are definitely "worth it."

I say the same thing about PCs that you do about Macs: when the day comes when I can get a PC that is as powerful, functional, and worry free as my Mac, I'll switch back.

Last edited by 86general; 05/27/09 03:20 PM.
86general #23915 05/29/09 11:27 AM
S
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
S
First of all, let me say it's wonderful to finally have this in hand! Kudos to the Mac team at PG Music for finally making it happen!

A couple of things make me wonder if they pushed a little too fast, however.

The Audio Chord Wizard doesn't work: can't launch from within BIAB and the stand-alone version, while it recognises chords fine, will not export them to BIAB. A patch is due in a couple of weeks, but I thought the most basic beta testing would have caught this.

The style picker is much improved in terms of layout, but has the same bug that the 2006 version had (odd, if this is a "complete rewrite"). After previewing a number of styles without exiting the dialog, the font suddenly switches to 9-point Geneva (Arial?). Cosmetic, true, but it shouldn't do this. Also the Cancel button still does not restore the original style - it effectively works the same as the OK button. Not helpful.

The manual I got with my upgrade order is essentially an extensive addendum to the original 2006 manual. The program is now big and complex enough that a whole new manual is in order, so that all the information I need is in one place.

Finally, while I was moving all my zillions of styles over from 2006, I inadvertently renamed a few of the style database files as .LS3, with the result that BIAB tried to read them and update its style DB. Being unable to parse them (they weren't really .LS3 files) it simply crashed. Some error-checking and a message would be nice.

Stephanie
StephanieM #23916 05/29/09 06:12 PM
PG Music Staff
OP Offline
PG Music Staff
Hi Stephanie,

>>> Kudos to PG Music for making it happen

Thanks!

Audio Chord Wizard is a standalone version, and will be updated to the version that sends the chords to Band-in-a-Box within 1-2 weeks.

Stylepicker - we can't duplicate an issue like that (font changing after a buch of previews), please let me know a way to duplicate it. For example, I previewed 10 styles, and didn't see it.

Manual- yes, it is a 70 page 2009 upgrade manual that describes the new features, on top of the previous manual which describes the full (previous) version. We are working on an integrated manual, but aren't holding up the program for that.

Have Fun!
Peter Gannon
PG Music Inc.
PeterGannon #23917 05/30/09 09:42 AM
G
G
Huzzah! Been waiting for this for a long time!

Bummer about the Intel requirement, though I totally understand it. But it does mean that the upgrade will have to wait a while for me to get the money to replace my Powerbook as well as upgrade the software..... :-(

Geoff

Geoff Allen #23918 05/30/09 06:36 PM
E
Journeyman
Journeyman
E
A couple of issues.

First off, the Space bar doesn't always stop a song. I found that I had to quit the program a couple of times because the space bar and mouse didn't stop stuff.

Second, the installer puts the Real Drums into /Drums, but the program is looking for it in /drums.......which is a problem.

Third, are we going to get real VST/AU support in the program?

Fourth.....how come the great ear trainer isn't in the Mac version. That is a great teaching tool......and it seems like it would be easy to include.

Other than that, this version is great......I can now ditch my Boot Camp partition and Parallels and finally run Band in a Box properly. I hope this sells well for you guys!

Musician, Polymath, Google Jedi, Apple Master, Windows Wrangler and Digital Wizard. High ratings in Nerd-fu & Geek-fu.

M1 Mac Mini, MacBook Pro Touchbar 15", Intel 27" iMac, M1 Mac Mini
https://musician.social/@ericdano
ericdano #23919 05/30/09 06:38 PM
E
Journeyman
Journeyman
E
Oh, one more thing. How come the "Open Song by Title" doesn't thread through subdirectories? I saw that the limit has been bumped to like 25K items, but all in ONE folder and no subdirectories???

Musician, Polymath, Google Jedi, Apple Master, Windows Wrangler and Digital Wizard. High ratings in Nerd-fu & Geek-fu.

M1 Mac Mini, MacBook Pro Touchbar 15", Intel 27" iMac, M1 Mac Mini
https://musician.social/@ericdano
PeterGannon #23920 05/31/09 04:11 AM
J
J
Quote:

Audio Chord Wizard is a standalone version, and will be updated to the version that sends the chords to Band-in-a-Box within 1-2 weeks.

Hi Peter!

My initial impression is that this 2009 for Mac, with RealTracks & RealDrums for Mac is a SERIOUS step, make that, 'leap' forward from your original program. I've stayed with you and upgraded the software pretty regularly since its release. What year was that?

I remember calling tech support many years ago, and you were it!

I've only tried it for a couple hours, and have noticed a couple small problems, one with a RealDrum track disappearing, and this other one, with ACW not exporting to Biab. I'm sure you're working on all the issues, and I will post in separate topics about the RealDrum problem, or any others I encounter if I can't work them out for myself.

This ACW is a wonderful concept, and I would have upgraded even without it. I know with new releases there are going to be bugs.

Do you have a way of informing me when a fix is available?

Thank you,

jbmando

S
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
S
Peter, I can't tell you how happy I am... and impressed. The development is outstanding. I write software on a regular basis, in quite a few languages (C#.NET, C++.NET, ANSI C, C++, JAVA, PERL, Objective-C and even a few vendor proprietary languages) so I feel pretty justified in saying that I know the effort behind this release. For all the critics, let me remind folks that writing software is extremely akin to making music. Same thrill, same foibles. You and your company are a rare breed, both in music and in the software industry. I deal with enterprise class vendors (CA, Sun, MS, Oracle, etc.) and I know of NO software company (big or small) that puts as much effort into patches and support. Match that with your attention to the subject matter (uh... music) and I'm astounded that you can do both.

Oh, and I'm stoked that I can finally run the latest features natively in my MacBook Pro. I've been running 2008 and 2009 for Windows under a Fusion Windows XP session (actually better performance than BootCamp) and the juggling act has been an interference with the creative juices; but not as much as going back to the Mac v12. This update is very worth it for me.

A thousand times, Thank You!

Sean Onion

K
K
I was also disappointed to find that the Chord Wizard is not working properly since this was marketed as one of it's primary features. And a complete manual with video support totally dedicated to the 2009 Mac version would be great. I went through the supplied videos, but since it focuses on the PC version, it is very confusing. I also have a question about the lyric window. Is that scheduled to be improved at all? I wanted to use BIAB for live gigs using the lyric window but it is so small you can't enter all the lyrics for some songs. I seem to remember my old PC version having a huge lyric window that was really legible. I also notice that often after completing a song with RealStyles, my RealDrums drop out permanently, even though they are listed in the style. Will that be fixed in the new patch (by the way, when is that coming out?)

T
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
T
Great job Peter & team. Finally we get an upgrade for MAC users !!

Just a few niggles I wanted to pass on.

I upgraded via the download method.

The installer package does not allow to custom intall the real drums and tracks to a location I would prefer. Manually moving obviously works after pointing the preferences to libraries new location.
I have fully explored the real drums/tracks yet, but I did not notice any piano tracks under the listings? Did I miss them? One of the realtracks installers ( I think it was for sets 7-9) has a subject line as sets 1-3?

Questions:
When the full manual is complete, how are they going to distributed?

Is there a old/new key command listing ?

T

F
Expert
Expert
F
You can install RTs and RDs to custom locations but it was a bit confusing at first. You can to set the new path with each dmg file you install. I forgot once and had to manually move some RDs.

Yes, the RDs disappear when you open a song. For now I just load a style with RDs when I start a session and hit play. Once the drums sound I load in a song and that seems to work.

I have had my MacBook Pro freeze up completely twice since installing the program. This is highly unusual for the machine. I am not certain BiaB is causing it but it didn't appear until after the install. The mouse freezes and then I must shutdown the MacBook completely.

I look forward to the first patch and a MAC-centric manual. The Mac BiaB seems to use the Intel chip more efficiently and more powerfully than the PC version. And I am pleasantly suprised by the Apple DLS synth sounds.

Finally, I would suggest that when BiaB users of either platform post a problem on the forum that they now specifiy whether they are using a PC or a MAC. Perhaps put PC or MAC in the subject line.

Fred

Last edited by fgrittner; 06/02/09 11:32 AM.
PG Music Staff
PG Music Staff
Hello Tonio,

Thank you.

Quote:

The installer package does not allow to custom intall the real drums and tracks to a location I would prefer.

To do this, click the Customize button on the Installation Type screen. That will toggle you to Custom Install mode, where you can choose any location to install the RealTracks and RealDrums. But actually, if installing all the sets at once, some users may find it easier to do what you suggested - install everything to the default location then manually move the RealTracks and Drums folders afterwards.

Either way is fine, as long as you end up with all your RealTracks in the one RealTracks folder, and all your RealDrums in one Drums folder. If you seem to be missing some RealTracks when viewed in Band-in-a-Box (e.g. some show up as N/A), you might try a quick search on your HD for "RealTracks" in "filename" to check that you don't accidentally have more than one RealTracks folder.

There can be some variation with how the Mac Installer application displays the Customize button on different versions of the OS. If it doesn't seem to appear on your computer, please let us know your exact OS (10.x.x).

Quote:

One of the realtracks installers ( I think it was for sets 7-9) has a subject line as sets 1-3?

This was probably just a typo in one of the readme's. I couldn't find it (RealTracks 7-9 doesn't have that problem in my testing), so maybe it was already fixed. Please let us know if you can verify which package that was in.

Andrew
PG Music Inc.
PG Music Staff
OP Offline
PG Music Staff
kkrekeler, I haven't noticed any problem like that (realdrums sometimes dropping out, requiring regneration of the song), please let me know if you can duplicate it, ideally with one of our demo songs, so we are talking about the same file.

Have Fun!
Peter Gannon
PG Music Inc.
J
J
Hi Peter,

I'm just checking out BiaB 2009 and watching the video's. I a bit puzzled are some features not in the Mac version available? For instance, I can't get the loop function to work, can't find lead sheets like the one in de video and I can't play note by note using the control key (or any other key). Please tell me, is this: clumsiness, not in this version or just hard to find in the interface?

Cheers,
Joris

Last edited by JorisFun; 06/02/09 02:57 PM.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Update Your PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 Today!

Add updated printing options, enhanced tracks settings, smoother use of MGU and SGU (BB files) within PowerTracks, and more with the latest PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 update!

Learn more about this free update for PowerTracks Pro Audio & download it at www.pgmusic.com/support_windows_pt.htm#2024_5

The Newest RealBand 2024 Update is Here!

The newest RealBand 2024 Build 5 update is now available!

Download and install this to your RealBand 2024 for updated print options, streamlined loading and saving of .SGU & MGU (BB) files, and to add a number of program adjustments that address user-reported bugs and concerns.

This free update is available to all RealBand 2024 users. To learn more about this update and download it, head to www.pgmusic.com/support.realband.htm#20245

The Band-in-a-Box® Flash Drive Backup Option

Today (April 5) is National Flash Drive Day!

Did you know... not only can you download your Band-in-a-Box® Pro, MegaPAK, or PlusPAK purchase - you can also choose to add a flash drive backup copy with the installation files for only $15? It even comes with a Band-in-a-Box® keychain!

For the larger Band-in-a-Box® packages (UltraPAK, UltraPAK+, Audiophile Edition), the hard drive backup copy is available for only $25. This will include a preinstalled and ready to use program, along with your installation files.

Backup copies are offered during the checkout process on our website.

Already purchased your e-delivery version, and now you wish you had a backup copy? It's not too late! If your purchase was for the current version of Band-in-a-Box®, you can still reach out to our team directly to place your backup copy order!

Note: the Band-in-a-Box® keychain is only included with flash drive backup copies, and cannot be purchased separately.

Handy flash drive tip: Always try plugging in a USB device the wrong way first? If your flash drive (or other USB plug) doesn't have a symbol to indicate which way is up, look for the side with a seam on the metal connector (it only has a line across one side) - that's the side that either faces down or to the left, depending on your port placement.

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows® Today!

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows for free with build 1111!

With this update, there's more control when saving images from the Print Preview window, we've added defaults to the MultiPicker for sorting and font size, updated printing options, updated RealTracks and other content, and addressed user-reported issues with the StylePicker, MIDI Soloists, key signature changes, and more!

Learn more about this free update for Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/support_windowsupdates.htm#1111

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 Review: 4.75 out of 5 Stars!

If you're looking for a in-depth review of the newest Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows version, you'll definitely find it with Sound-Guy's latest review, Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows Review: Incredible new capabilities to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs.

A few excerpts:
"The Tracks view is possibly the single most powerful addition in 2024 and opens up a new way to edit and generate accompaniments. Combined with the new MultiPicker Library Window, it makes BIAB nearly perfect as an 'intelligent' composer/arranger program."

"MIDI SuperTracks partial generation showing six variations – each time the section is generated it can be instantly auditioned, re-generated or backed out to a previous generation – and you can do this with any track type. This is MAJOR! This takes musical experimentation and honing an arrangement to a new level, and faster than ever."

"Band in a Box continues to be an expansive musical tool-set for both novice and experienced musicians to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs, as well as an extensive educational resource. It is huge, with hundreds of functions, more than any one person is likely to ever use. Yet, so is any DAW that I have used. BIAB can do some things that no DAW does, and this year BIAB has more DAW-like functions than ever."

Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,587
Posts734,735
Members38,500
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
Krystal Mcclain, Tusar Sarkar, RTW, wtsy365, DerFlex
38,500 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 193