Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
You need to be logged in to post
Options
Index
#240165 - 02/16/14 04:28 PM [User Showcase] Little Cabin Up On Big Stone Lake
olemon Offline
Journeyman

No perfection here...just messing around with a mix and decided to share.

http://soundclick.com/share.cfm?id=12688209

The cabin is still in the family, 50 yrs old this summer. I was there in August and came back determined to finish this song. Had most of the chorus for a long time. There's an acoustic version on Soundcloud. You can hear the aquarium water pump in the background on that one.

Little Cabin Up On Big Stone Lake

By Scott H. Olson
Copyright © 2013

I don’t recall the year
Grandpa bought the land
But I remember to this day
How it felt to stand

On that solid ground
By that rocky shore
The colors and the sounds
Grandma waving from the door

Of that little cabin up on Big Stone Lake
I see it in my mind
A little piece of heaven in the corner of the state
You could leave the world behind
Down the hill, in the still, of the cottonwoods
Treasured memories await
There will always be a path for me to take
To that little cabin up on Big Stone Lake

Strong hearts, steady hands
Out of love built with pride
It stood through every storm
On the bank, South Dakota side

Walleyes in the spring
Mallards in the fall
The summers in between
Tell their stories on the walls

Of that little cabin up on Big Stone Lake
I see it in my mind
A little piece of heaven in the corner of the state
It’s not hard to find
Down the hill, in the still, of the cottonwoods
Treasured memories await
There will always be a path for me to take
To that little cabin up on Big Stone Lake

****** Song Summary *************
Title: Untitled Song
Style is BIG+.STY (Aggressive Country Rock+)

RealTracks in song: ~592:Bass,
665:Guitar, Acoustic, Rhythm SouthernRock Ev 085 (B:Strum)
1608:Guitar, High-Strung Acoustic, Rhythm Pop16ths Ev16 110
1947:Mandolin, Rhythm PopModernGrooveAndy Ev16 075
RealDrums NashvilleEven8^6-a:Snare, HiHat , b:Snare, HiHat Open

Edited by olemon (02/16/14 07:37 PM)
https://soundcloud.com/scott-h-olson

#240175 - 02/16/14 06:48 PM [User Showcase] Re: Little Cabin Up On Big Stone Lake [Re: olemon]
Loc: Edmonton, Ab, Canada
Scott C Offline
Veteran

Loc: Edmonton, Ab, Canada
Very nice song. Excellent vocal

#240192 - 02/16/14 07:32 PM [User Showcase] Re: Little Cabin Up On Big Stone Lake [Re: olemon]
Loc: Canyon Lake, TX
Steve Young Offline
Expert

Loc: Canyon Lake, TX
That's some pretty nice "messing around" there. Nice voice, and nice song. Great sentiments.

Steve

#240283 - 02/17/14 09:42 AM [User Showcase] Re: Little Cabin Up On Big Stone Lake [Re: olemon]
Loc: Florida
tommyad Offline
Veteran

Scott, This is very well sung. The real tracks sound just right. Very nice song. I enjoyed it. Tom

#240325 - 02/17/14 12:01 PM [User Showcase] Re: Little Cabin Up On Big Stone Lake [Re: tommyad]
Loc: Karlsruhe, Germany
boehm Offline
Veteran

Loc: Karlsruhe, Germany
Hi Scott,
Originally Posted By: tommyad
This is very well sung. The real tracks sound just right. Very nice song. I enjoyed it.

So did I.

Guenter

#240379 - 02/17/14 03:37 PM [User Showcase] Re: Little Cabin Up On Big Stone Lake [Re: olemon]
floyd jane Offline
Veteran

Scott,

Nice one. Just the right grouping of instruments for the song.
"Walleyes in the spring
Mallards in the fall
The summers in between"
... nice imagery... And a well written chorus.

Terrific vocal.

floyd

#240386 - 02/17/14 03:53 PM [User Showcase] Re: Little Cabin Up On Big Stone Lake [Re: olemon]
Loc: Kentucky
PgFantastic Offline
Veteran

Loc: Kentucky
I want to just mess around with a mix, very well done; thanks for sharing! Excellent lyrics, and performance!

Psalm 57:7 My heart, O God, is steadfast, my heart is steadfast; I will sing and make music.

#240387 - 02/17/14 03:55 PM [User Showcase] Re: Little Cabin Up On Big Stone Lake [Re: olemon]
Guitarhacker Offline
Veteran

I like story songs that take you back.... good job.

Add nothing that adds nothing to the music

#240487 - 02/18/14 09:08 AM [User Showcase] Re: Little Cabin Up On Big Stone Lake [Re: olemon]
Loc: GA USA
Janice & Bud Offline
Veteran

Loc: GA USA
Vivid imagery -- which is IMO essential to this type of song. These songs of cherished memories are one of my favorites...sad that we so rarely hear them nowadays. It all works. Thanks for sharing!
J&B Website

#240511 - 02/18/14 01:31 PM [User Showcase] Re: Little Cabin Up On Big Stone Lake [Re: olemon]
olemon Offline
Journeyman

Scott, Steve, Tommy, Guenter, Robert, Floyd, Herb, Janice & Bud,

Thanks for the listen and for those generous comments:) I had resolved not to post another song until it was as good as I could make it...well, I may have fallen off the wagon before I got on, so thanks for overlooking the bad notes:)

I'm very happy you found the story and the lyrics meaningful. This one is a bit personal, as I was writing it for my folks, siblings, cousins, aunts and uncles. I was hoping to give them a couple of images that would key their memories, and then they could fill in their own stories. My Grandparents are gone now, but if there's a heaven, there's a lake cabin there, and that's where they are too. Take care.

#240517 - 02/18/14 02:16 PM [User Showcase] Re: Little Cabin Up On Big Stone Lake [Re: olemon]
Loc: South Africa
JoanneCooper Offline
Veteran

Loc: South Africa
Hi Scott
I enjoyed that very much. As mentioned already the lyrics are full of images which make it easy for us to picture the little cabin. Well done

#240520 - 02/18/14 03:27 PM [User Showcase] Re: Little Cabin Up On Big Stone Lake [Re: JoanneCooper]
Loc: Oklahoma, USA
Don Gaynor Offline
Veteran

Scott, what a stunning voice/vocal. As others have already said, the imagery you have painted in words is so beautiful. I could visualize both the cabin and the lake.

I was fortunate enough to have such a picturesque spot at my Aunt Bessie's (Elizabeth's) farm in the Minnesota "Nort' Woods." Your story has breathed new life into my childhood memories. Thank you.

This one goes directly into my "Keeper" folder. I'm ready for your next offering.

Very well done all around.

Btw, our beloved Macster would say: "Don't point out your mistakes. They don't exist until they're spotted." Also, Chet Atkins is oft quoted as saying: "All of my mistakes are intentional!"

#240538 - 02/18/14 06:02 PM [User Showcase] Re: Little Cabin Up On Big Stone Lake [Re: Don Gaynor]
Don Gaynor Offline
Veteran

I took the liberty of forwarding the SoundClick link to Hayley Oliver who was recently nominated Best Country Female Vocalist In Britain by BCMA. I don't know if the lyrics will withstand a gender change but if anyone could add to the mix, Hayley certainly could. She loved your song, btw.

We'll see what develops.

#240539 - 02/18/14 06:13 PM [User Showcase] Re: Little Cabin Up On Big Stone Lake [Re: olemon]
Loc: Helsinki, Finland
dani48 Offline
Veteran

Loc: Helsinki, Finland
Hi, Scott !:))

I guess most have already been said,
just wanted to add that I just loved your
tune and your vocal that fits it perfectly !:))

Cheers
Dani

#240544 - 02/18/14 06:39 PM [User Showcase] Re: Little Cabin Up On Big Stone Lake [Re: olemon]
Digital Angel Offline
Apprentice

Scott this one reminds me of when I'm watching the Walton's with my family and everything is just so simple.

Your a Great Songwriter!

DA...

#240556 - 02/18/14 07:46 PM [User Showcase] Re: Little Cabin Up On Big Stone Lake [Re: olemon]
olemon Offline
Journeyman

Josie, Dani, DA,

I don't know what to say. Thank you so much!

Don,

I'm elated that you like the song, and I am stunned by your selfless act!

I feel like my lips are moving, but I'm not saying anything. Like my fingers are typing, but no letters are appearing on the screen. At least none that can properly express my gratitude. Thank you!

#240562 - 02/18/14 08:45 PM [User Showcase] Re: Little Cabin Up On Big Stone Lake [Re: olemon]
Don Gaynor Offline
Veteran

Scott,

Unfortunately, one can't take the best of intentions to the bank. I have several major artists as friends of 50+ years and I've called in some very old IOUs for the benefit of my PG Music friends.

Having done that, we are now in a "Holding Pattern" which is probably the most difficult phase, at least for me.

I also sent your SoundClick link to Nokie Edwards of "Ventures" fame and a recent inductee to the R&R Hall Of Fame. Our timing is atrocious because Nokie is presently in Japan cutting a new album. He probably will be there through mid-March.

I chatted with Hayley Oliver today and, having just released a brand new album this past December, she won't be looking for new material any time soon but she loved your song. That's certainly a plus.

Here's my blind Brit songbird singing "I'm A Little Bluer Than That". Enjoy.

http://youtu.be/WWKMJ6NiBVE

#240563 - 02/18/14 08:50 PM [User Showcase] Re: Little Cabin Up On Big Stone Lake [Re: olemon]
Loc: Melbourne, Australia
VideoTrack Offline
Veteran

Loc: Melbourne, Australia
Great Country feel, complemented by colorful and interesting lyrics, and superb vocal delivery. Nice.
BIAB&RB2019(Audiophile),Win-10Pro, SonarPlatinum, Izotope Prod.Bundle, Roland RD-1000, Synthogy Ivory, Kontakt, Focusrite 18i20, KetronSD2, KorgX3R, RodeNGT2, AM802mixer, NS40M StudioMonitors, Pioneer Act. Mons, AKG K271 Studio H'phones

#240571 - 02/18/14 10:31 PM [User Showcase] Re: Little Cabin Up On Big Stone Lake [Re: olemon]
Loc: Davis, CA
Greg Johnson Offline
Veteran

Loc: Davis, CA
Nice feel! Great lyrical images!! Good work all around. Take care. Greg

#240573 - 02/18/14 11:11 PM [User Showcase] Re: Little Cabin Up On Big Stone Lake [Re: Don Gaynor]
olemon Offline
Journeyman

Don,

She certainly is a songbird. I heard her before on Soundclick I think.

The Ventures! I mentioned them on someone's post the other day. This is too much.

And no illusions here. I am just thrilled to know that you and others consider my songs worthy.

Guitarhacker recommended BIAB and told me this was a songwriter friendly place, but I had no idea:)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

PG Music News
Notation Enhancements in Band-in-a-Box® 2019 for Windows!

There are Notation Enhancements in the NEW Band-in-a-Box® 2019 for Windows! These include:
•A new button in the Print Options dialog which lets you quickly print a "chords only" fake sheet. You can also access this from the right-click menu on the chord sheet.
•A new track type (Drums) is now available for The Melody and Soloist tracks.
•Clicking close to a stave line will put a note on the stave line instead of between stave lines. (Previously, you had to click extremely close to a stave line to insert a note on The line.)
•Double-clicking on the Standard mode Notation window (or on the time line in Editable or Staff Roll mode) plays the song from the current time location. Previously, it played the song from the beginning of the current bar.
•Holding down the [Ctrl] key and pressing the zoom in/out buttons results in finest possible incremental adjustment in size.
•In The Notation Windows Options dialog, The clefs split point asterisk indicates that C5* is middle C.
•Pressing The space bar plays the song from the current time location, not the current bar.
•The clefs split point can be set by the spin controls.
•The right-click menu in the Editable or Staff Roll mode Notation window has an option to change the current beat resolution. Previously, the only way to do this was to right-click on the time line.
•There's a keystroke entry notation mode - the 'N' mode, which lets you enter a melody entirely using keystrokes. The keystrokes are N to enter a note, up/down cursor to change its pitch, and left/right cursor to move the time line.
•You can now edit any track in the Event List Editor. When The dialog opens, it will show you the MIDI data in the current Notation track.
•You can quickly enter forced accidentals from the right-click menu.

We talk about these new features within our Band-in-a-Box® 2019 for Windows®! New Features, RealTracks, and other content! video:
25:45 - New Features: Easy Entering of Notation with the 'N' Key
36:48 - Change Beat Resolution From the Right-Click Menu
37:15 - Easier Entry of Notes on Lines
37:42 - Asterisk to Indicate Middle C on & Spin Controls
37:53 - Force Accidental from the Right-Click Menu
38:01 - Edit Any Track in the Event List
38:09 - Keystroke Note Entry Mode 'N' for Faster Note Entry
38:28 - Print Chords Only Fake Sheet
38:32 - More Control of Notation Size

Rather read about it?
-Band-in-a-Box® 2019 for Windows® Upgrade Manual
-New Feature Summary - Notation Enhancements

The New Band-in-a-Box® 2019 for Windows SongPicker!

With Band-in-a-Box® 2019, the SongPicker has been redesigned!
-The completely redesigned window shows information for up to 50,000 songs.
-The song list build is much faster. Approximately 150 songs get added per second.
-A progress bar will appear if the song list build takes longer than 3 seconds.
-You can see the chord progression for the selected song in the list. You can copy and paste it to a text file.
-Many filters are available. You can filter the list by subfolders, genre, feel, time signature, style, songs with melody, soloist, lyrics, key signature, tempo range, and the year of file dates.
-You can search songs that have similar chord progressions and/or melody fragments.
-Hotkey! ss+enter opens the SongPicker, ss2+enter opens the Recently Played Songs, etc.

Learn more about the updates with our New Features Video - we've made it easy to find the section you'll need:
2:55 - New Feature: Redesigned SongPicker
21:58 - New Features: SongPicker Enhancements
41:10 - Now Over 10,600 Titles in SongPicker

You can also read all about the new SongPicker within our Online Band-in-a-Box® 2019 for Windows® Upgrade Manual.

RealBand 2019 Online and PDF Manuals Available!

Visit our Online Manuals support page for access to the latest RealBand 2019 for Windows program manuals!

RealBand 2019 for Windows User's Guide: Online Manual | PDF Download
RealBand 2019 for Windows New Features Guide: Online Manual | PDF Download

RealBand 2019 is included in every purchase of Band-in-a-Box® 2019 for Windows! We're having a SALE on Band-in-a-Box® 2019 Upgrade purchases until December 31, 2018 - save over 40% when you purchase your Band-in-a-Box® 2019 for Windows Upgrade! Check out our Band-in-a-Box® packages page for all the purchase options available

Band-in-a-Box® 2019 Online and PDF Manuals Available!

Visit our Online Manuals support page for access to the latest Band-in-a-Box® 2019 for Windows program manuals!

Band-in-a-Box® 2019 for Windows User's Guide: Online Manual | PDF Download
Band-in-a-Box® 2019 for Windows Upgrade Manual: Online Manual | PDF Download

Don't forget.... We're having a SALE on Band-in-a-Box® 2019 Upgrade purchases until December 31, 2018 - save over 40% when you purchase your Band-in-a-Box® 2019 for Windows Upgrade! Check out our Band-in-a-Box® packages page for all the purchase options available

Band-in-a-Box® 2019 on a USB 3.0 Hard Drive - Speed Thrills!

We're excited to say that all Band-in-a-Box® 2019 for Windows UltraPAK and UltraPAK+ orders now ship on a USB 3.0 hard drive!

What does this mean? Faster hard drive transfer rates will enhance the program operations (faster time to generate tracks, reduced audio artifacts) and offer faster transfer speeds (typically up to 3x faster)!

It's a great time to order your UltraPAK or UltraPAK+ Upgrade... they're ON SALE until December 31st!

Video: Band-in-a-Box® 2019 for Windows® New Features!

Our "Band-in-a-Box® 2019 for Windows®! New Features, RealTracks, and other content!" video is now ready! Get to know all about the newest features in Band-in-a-Box® 2019: Click here to watch...

We have listed a table of contents for this video, you'll see it within the YouTube video description, or by visiting this forum post.

RealBand 2019 - A New Look!

Have you opened up your RealBand 2019 yet? You may notice that we've given it a fresh new look! In fact, there are now 3 different looks to RealBand.

See for yourself! Within the program, visit Options | Icon Set and choose from: Classic, Modern 1, or Modern 2.

Forum Stats
28447 Members
58 Forums
55274 Topics
460428 Posts

Max Online: 2434 @ 11/14/17 12:37 AM
Newest Members
saxmanz, dewar, claytonkyra, Warren G, Raymond Carrasco

28446 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
Matt Finley 365
Pipeline 334