You need to be logged in to post
Options
Index
#240195 - 02/16/14 07:45 PM [User Showcase] New Song - Better Man
Loc: Canyon Lake, TX
Steve Young Offline
Expert

I've been out of pocket most of the time for the past few months. Between dealing with health issues and getting back to work, I haven't been able to post as much music lately. I finally had some time last night, and after reflecting on Valentine's Day with my lovely bride of almost 38 years, I wrote this little love song for her. I added some various orchestration/percussion to go with the BIAB Realtracks on this one. I hope you enjoy it!

Better Man

Here are the RealTracks/RealDrums used...
RealTracks in song: 1190:Bass, Electric, ModernRnBRock Ev 065
RealTracks in song: 2051:Guitar, Acoustic, Fingerpicking CountryBrent Ev 085
RealTracks in song: 1765:Guitar, High-Strung Acoustic, Fingerpicking Pop16ths Ev16 085
RealTracks in song: 2334:String Quartet, Rhythm PopChamber Ev 085
RealTracks in song: 1856:Cello, Background PopCountry Ev 085
RealTracks in song: 1601:Mandolin, Rhythm Pop16Melodic Ev 065
RealDrums in Song: NashvilleEven8^1-a:Sidestick, HiHat , b:Snare, Ride

And here are the lyrics..

Better Man
Words and Music, copyright Stephen W. Young

I don't need to know all the answers
To questions I don't even understand
I look at life filled with wonder
At the beauty of the plan

A little girl stands in the corner
She looks an awful lot like you
And when she smiles I remember
The little things you do

I won't let time make a difference
I've found the place to make a stand
Cause I just know that when I'm with you
You make me a better man

It won't be long til the summer
It won't be long til it's warm
I've felt the cold days of winter
I've seen the eye of the storm

But in the change of the seasons
There's one thing that remains
I still love you so deeply
And that will never change

I won't let time make a difference
I've found the place to make a stand
'Cause I just know that when I'm with you
You make me a better man

===

Have a great day!

Steve

#240208 - 02/16/14 11:01 PM [User Showcase] Re: New Song - Better Man [Re: Steve Young]
Loc: Melbourne, Australia
VideoTrack Online   content
Veteran

Loc: Melbourne, Australia
Steve
Really liked the tune, and the gradual build, nice lyrics, and the closeness of the vocal.
Very nice job, thanks for sharing.
Trevor
BIAB&RB2019(Audiophile),Win-10Pro, SonarPlatinum, Izotope Prod.Bundle, Roland RD-1000, Synthogy Ivory, Kontakt, Focusrite 18i20, KetronSD2, KorgX3R, RodeNGT2, AM802mixer, NS40M StudioMonitors, Pioneer Act. Mons, AKG K271 Studio H'phones

#240214 - 02/17/14 12:12 AM [User Showcase] Re: New Song - Better Man [Re: Steve Young]
Loc: Florida, USA
cubanpete Offline
Expert

Loc: Florida, USA
Hey Steve, I enjoyed it very much. Terrific arrangement and orchestration. Thanks!

Mike B.

#240234 - 02/17/14 04:58 AM [User Showcase] Re: New Song - Better Man [Re: Steve Young]
Loc: Australia
Noel96 Offline
Veteran

Loc: Australia
Hey Steve!

It's really good to see you again.

When it comes to beautiful songs, this one is right up the top there with the best that you've ever written. The melody, harmony and arrangement are magnificent and when you write lyrics from the heart, truth and honesty work every time. The musical voyage that you took me on as I listened, was wonderful. I bet Mrs Steve was incredibly impressed.

I can already see that I'm going to be listening to this song every time I pop into the forum for quite a while yet.

All the best,
Noel

P.S. Congratulations on those almost 38 years too!

#240235 - 02/17/14 05:00 AM [User Showcase] Re: New Song - Better Man [Re: Steve Young]
Loc: WEST MIDLANDS, UK
sixchannel Online   content
Expert

Loc: WEST MIDLANDS, UK
Great song Steve.
I wondered how a mandolin would fit with your choice of RTs but I neednt have worried. A Class selection and mix.
I like the way it slowly builds in layers.
For me, the interlude "solo" instrument of the tune needs to come up a bit. Its beautifully done and I would have liked to hear it better.
Thanks for posting. I may keep these lyrics for next years Valentines card. lol!
cheers
ian

BB2019Plus,606,RB2,Cakewalk GTPro2(2003),Adobe Audition1.5(2003),WindowsXPPro and Win7

http://app.box.com/s/p7lirbbuvjae03dsd4v5

for tracks that use BIAB specifically-
http://soundcloud.com/sixchannel

#240244 - 02/17/14 07:13 AM [User Showcase] Re: New Song - Better Man [Re: Steve Young]
Loc: Florida
90 dB Offline
Veteran

Steve,

Absolutely beautiful. Hope you're feeling better.

Regards,

Bob

https://90dbband.bandcamp.com/

https://soundcloud.com/90-db

#240284 - 02/17/14 09:43 AM [User Showcase] Re: New Song - Better Man [Re: Steve Young]
olemon Offline
Journeyman

Beautiful song, great lyrics. The sweet vocal is right where it needs to be on this with the music nicely mixed to support, but never interfere with the story.

#240285 - 02/17/14 09:47 AM [User Showcase] Re: New Song - Better Man [Re: Steve Young]
Loc: GA USA
Janice & Bud Offline
Veteran

Loc: GA USA
34 years here and if I could write a song like that I'd do it today for my better half. Just a wonderful way of expressing the feelings of a long term relationship that works and has worked for years. Not a whole lot of them around and I won life's lotto with mine.

Like Bob said it's a beautiful song and, I too, hope you are doing better.

Bud
J&B Website

#240291 - 02/17/14 09:56 AM [User Showcase] Re: New Song - Better Man [Re: Steve Young]
tommyad Offline
Veteran

Steve, So glad you're back. i hope this means you're feeling better. Judging by your song you are at the top of your game. Excellence all around. Vocal, Mix, Arrangement are all top shelf. i think this may be the best that you've written and it sure hits home with all of us old happily married guys. You have captured the beauty of love over time. Great stuff. More, More, More. Tom

#240329 - 02/17/14 12:13 PM [User Showcase] Re: New Song - Better Man [Re: Steve Young]
Loc: Karlsruhe, Germany
boehm Offline
Veteran

Loc: Karlsruhe, Germany
Hi Steve,

a very heartfelt song with good vocals.
I like the increasing arrangement. Nice things happening in the background.
I hope you stay well.

Guenter

#240412 - 02/17/14 05:24 PM [User Showcase] Re: New Song - Better Man [Re: Steve Young]
floyd jane Offline
Veteran

Steve,

Pull up a chair... set a spell! Always love to see you drop a song in...

And a beautiful one, at that! A good write - such a sweet melody. Your productions always build so nicely.. they are music clouds to float on.. paired with your always comfortable vocals...

You make writing a simple love song seem so easy - which is anything, but... Just a joy to listen to.

Stay well. Stay in the neighborhood - where you belong...

floyd

#240427 - 02/17/14 07:38 PM [User Showcase] Re: New Song - Better Man [Re: Steve Young]
Loc: Helsinki, Finland
dani48 Offline
Veteran

Loc: Helsinki, Finland
Hi, Steve !

This must be my favourite
Stevetune !:)) I also
think this is one of your
absolute best !:)) I congratulate
you and your life´s companion
for being able to stick together
for so long, and I hope there´ll be
many many more years for you two!:))
I only made 42 with my wife, but
they were just great years as I
understand that yours have been too !:))
I hope your health issues are behind
now and that you are able to go on
afresh !:))

Cheers
Dani

#240666 - 02/19/14 02:06 PM [User Showcase] Re: New Song - Better Man [Re: Steve Young]
Steve Young Offline
Expert

Trevor,

Thanks for stopping by to listen, and comment. Your kind words are appreciated.

Mike,

Thanks very much! Glad you like this one.

Noel,

Always good to hear from you, my friend! Really appreciate your generous words. Thanks so much.

Ian,

I really appreciate your very kind words. I did do another remix, and brought up the organ solo a tad, along with some other subtle changes. Again, thanks for your time and thoughts!

==

Steve

#240668 - 02/19/14 02:14 PM [User Showcase] Re: New Song - Better Man [Re: Steve Young]
Steve Young Offline
Expert

Bob,

Thanks very much for listening, and commenting. And thanks for your well-wishes. Much appreciated.

Olemon,

I really appreciate you taking the time to listen and comment. Glad you like it!

Bud & Janice,

So glad you enjoyed this one. And congratulations on your 34 years! Long term relationships can be work at times, but the rewards far outweigh the effort, when you have the right people involved. Sounds like you and I have both been blessed!

Tom,

Always good to hear from you! Really appreciate your very kind words!

==

Steve

#240669 - 02/19/14 02:21 PM [User Showcase] Re: New Song - Better Man [Re: Steve Young]
Steve Young Offline
Expert

Guenter,

Thanks so much for taking the time to listen and post such nice words. Very appreciated.

Floyd,

Great to hear from you, as always. Glad you enjoyed this one. My schedule has been, and continues to be a challenge, working about 60 hours a week, in addition to serving as a Worship/Music Pastor at a church. And since I was diagnosed with Muscular Dystrophy in September, that has presented a few minor changes into my life. But I am doing well, still playing all my instruments, etc. I look forward to writing and posting many more songs here! Thanks.

Dani,

Thank you so much for your very generous words. I am glad you like this one. As you can imagine, this one has special meaning to me. The way you talk about your dear wife is a real inspiration to us here. You were obviously blessed with a wonderful relationship (as am I). Thanks for being a part of our family here.

==

Steve

#240693 - 02/19/14 05:28 PM [User Showcase] Re: New Song - Better Man [Re: Steve Young]
Loc: Hamlin NY
MarioD Offline
Veteran

Loc: Hamlin NY
It’s all been said! This is one fantastic song with super lyrics, orchestration and mix.

Like it was said all of old married men can relate to this!

64 bit Win 10 Pro - the latest BiaB and RB - Roland Octa-Capture audio interface - a ton of software and some hardware.

#241142 - 02/23/14 08:56 PM [User Showcase] Re: New Song - Better Man [Re: Steve Young]
gruverider Offline
Expert

A beautiful song indeed! I love the arrangement

congrats to you and your valentine!

#241204 - 02/24/14 09:04 AM [User Showcase] Re: New Song - Better Man [Re: Steve Young]
Loc: wales
gibson Offline
Veteran

Loc: wales
Steve,

A beautiful love song, beautiful arrangement and Mrs Young must think she is a lucky lady to have such a nice song written about her.

Good to hear you back and hope all is well with you medically.

Alyn

#241233 - 02/24/14 03:32 PM [User Showcase] Re: New Song - Better Man [Re: Steve Young]
Loc: New Zealand
RichMac Offline
Expert

Loc: New Zealand
Lovely lyrics and vocals. maybe a bit crisp on the vocals to my ear but very enjoyable. Held my attention to the end. Cheers.

#242768 - 03/05/14 12:35 PM [User Showcase] Re: New Song - Better Man [Re: Steve Young]
Steve Young Offline
Expert

Mario,

So glad you like this one. Always good to hear from you! Thanks!

Gruverider,

Thanks very much! Glad you like the song and arrangement.

Alyn,

I really appreciate your kind words. (And I'm the lucky one.) Always good to hear from you.

RichMac,

Thanks for dropping in and giving this one a listen. Glad you enjoyed it. I will have to give another listen to the "crispness" of my vocals when I get a chance on some different speakers. It sounds good on my monitors to me. Thanks for the input.

===

Steve

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

PG Music News
Band-in-a-Box® 2019 - Order in Time for Christmas!

Looking to put Band-in-a-Box® under the tree? It's not too late!

USA/Canada: Order before 12:30 pm Pacific time December 21st for Express delivery
Outside of North America: Order before 12:30 pm Pacific time December 19th.

Order online anytime at www.pgmusic.com and be downloading most products within minutes!

Until December 31, 2018 - save over 40% when you purchase your Band-in-a-Box® 2019 for Windows Upgrade!

With the release of Band-in-a-Box® 2019 for Windows, we've packed our Free Bonus PAK & 49-PAK with some amazing Add-ons! The Free Bonus PAK is automatically included with most Band-in-a-Box® for Windows 2019 packages, but for more even more Add-ons (including 40 Unreleased RealTracks) upgrade it to the 2019 49-PAK for only $49. You can see the full lists of items in each package, and listen to demos here.

Check out our Band-in-a-Box® packages page for all the purchase options available.

Notation Enhancements in Band-in-a-Box® 2019 for Windows!

There are Notation Enhancements in the NEW Band-in-a-Box® 2019 for Windows! These include:
•A new button in the Print Options dialog which lets you quickly print a "chords only" fake sheet. You can also access this from the right-click menu on the chord sheet.
•A new track type (Drums) is now available for The Melody and Soloist tracks.
•Clicking close to a stave line will put a note on the stave line instead of between stave lines. (Previously, you had to click extremely close to a stave line to insert a note on The line.)
•Double-clicking on the Standard mode Notation window (or on the time line in Editable or Staff Roll mode) plays the song from the current time location. Previously, it played the song from the beginning of the current bar.
•Holding down the [Ctrl] key and pressing the zoom in/out buttons results in finest possible incremental adjustment in size.
•In The Notation Windows Options dialog, The clefs split point asterisk indicates that C5* is middle C.
•Pressing The space bar plays the song from the current time location, not the current bar.
•The clefs split point can be set by the spin controls.
•The right-click menu in the Editable or Staff Roll mode Notation window has an option to change the current beat resolution. Previously, the only way to do this was to right-click on the time line.
•There's a keystroke entry notation mode - the 'N' mode, which lets you enter a melody entirely using keystrokes. The keystrokes are N to enter a note, up/down cursor to change its pitch, and left/right cursor to move the time line.
•You can now edit any track in the Event List Editor. When The dialog opens, it will show you the MIDI data in the current Notation track.
•You can quickly enter forced accidentals from the right-click menu.

We talk about these new features within our Band-in-a-Box® 2019 for Windows®! New Features, RealTracks, and other content! video:
25:45 - New Features: Easy Entering of Notation with the 'N' Key
36:48 - Change Beat Resolution From the Right-Click Menu
37:15 - Easier Entry of Notes on Lines
37:42 - Asterisk to Indicate Middle C on & Spin Controls
37:53 - Force Accidental from the Right-Click Menu
38:01 - Edit Any Track in the Event List
38:09 - Keystroke Note Entry Mode 'N' for Faster Note Entry
38:28 - Print Chords Only Fake Sheet
38:32 - More Control of Notation Size

Rather read about it?
-Band-in-a-Box® 2019 for Windows® Upgrade Manual
-New Feature Summary - Notation Enhancements

The New Band-in-a-Box® 2019 for Windows SongPicker!

With Band-in-a-Box® 2019, the SongPicker has been redesigned!
-The completely redesigned window shows information for up to 50,000 songs.
-The song list build is much faster. Approximately 150 songs get added per second.
-A progress bar will appear if the song list build takes longer than 3 seconds.
-You can see the chord progression for the selected song in the list. You can copy and paste it to a text file.
-Many filters are available. You can filter the list by subfolders, genre, feel, time signature, style, songs with melody, soloist, lyrics, key signature, tempo range, and the year of file dates.
-You can search songs that have similar chord progressions and/or melody fragments.
-Hotkey! ss+enter opens the SongPicker, ss2+enter opens the Recently Played Songs, etc.

Learn more about the updates with our New Features Video - we've made it easy to find the section you'll need:
2:55 - New Feature: Redesigned SongPicker
21:58 - New Features: SongPicker Enhancements
41:10 - Now Over 10,600 Titles in SongPicker

You can also read all about the new SongPicker within our Online Band-in-a-Box® 2019 for Windows® Upgrade Manual.

RealBand 2019 Online and PDF Manuals Available!

Visit our Online Manuals support page for access to the latest RealBand 2019 for Windows program manuals!

RealBand 2019 for Windows User's Guide: Online Manual | PDF Download
RealBand 2019 for Windows New Features Guide: Online Manual | PDF Download

RealBand 2019 is included in every purchase of Band-in-a-Box® 2019 for Windows! We're having a SALE on Band-in-a-Box® 2019 Upgrade purchases until December 31, 2018 - save over 40% when you purchase your Band-in-a-Box® 2019 for Windows Upgrade! Check out our Band-in-a-Box® packages page for all the purchase options available

Band-in-a-Box® 2019 Online and PDF Manuals Available!

Visit our Online Manuals support page for access to the latest Band-in-a-Box® 2019 for Windows program manuals!

Band-in-a-Box® 2019 for Windows User's Guide: Online Manual | PDF Download
Band-in-a-Box® 2019 for Windows Upgrade Manual: Online Manual | PDF Download

Don't forget.... We're having a SALE on Band-in-a-Box® 2019 Upgrade purchases until December 31, 2018 - save over 40% when you purchase your Band-in-a-Box® 2019 for Windows Upgrade! Check out our Band-in-a-Box® packages page for all the purchase options available

Band-in-a-Box® 2019 on a USB 3.0 Hard Drive - Speed Thrills!

We're excited to say that all Band-in-a-Box® 2019 for Windows UltraPAK and UltraPAK+ orders now ship on a USB 3.0 hard drive!

What does this mean? Faster hard drive transfer rates will enhance the program operations (faster time to generate tracks, reduced audio artifacts) and offer faster transfer speeds (typically up to 3x faster)!

It's a great time to order your UltraPAK or UltraPAK+ Upgrade... they're ON SALE until December 31st!

Video: Band-in-a-Box® 2019 for Windows® New Features!

Our "Band-in-a-Box® 2019 for Windows®! New Features, RealTracks, and other content!" video is now ready! Get to know all about the newest features in Band-in-a-Box® 2019: Click here to watch...

We have listed a table of contents for this video, you'll see it within the YouTube video description, or by visiting this forum post.

Forum Stats
28475 Members
58 Forums
55360 Topics
461280 Posts

Max Online: 2434 @ 11/14/17 12:37 AM
Newest Members
Gord Heath, Krisssss Wu, MikeF, csinclair152, Sletrry

28474 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
Matt Finley 400
Pipeline 363