Print Thread
Go To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
User Showcase
Noel96 Offline OP
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
It's been a little while but Brenda and I have finally managed to get another song together.

If you're interested in listening to something alla Tin Pan Alley with a twist a jazz ...

All comments welcome.

All the best,
Noel

LYRICS

Sunny Side Of Life
© 2014 Noel Adams and Brenda Smith. Words and music. All rights reserved.

Don't worry, keep on smiling
Things 'll be all right
A new day waits for you
On the sunny side of life

Grab some wishes, pack a daydream
Leave your cares behind
A new day waits for you

And when those gray clouds clutter up the view
Relax
Sooner or later, skies 'll be blue

There's always a rainbow around the corner
With a golden prize
A new day waits for you

BIAB STUFF

Bass: 481, Acoustic Jazz Ballad
Piano: 487, Acoustic Rhythm Jazz Ballad
Guitar: 555, Acoustic Rhythm Jazz Ballad Freddie

Guitar solo: 1979. Guitar Soloist Dixieland Medium
Piano Solo: Midi (Hi-Q piano) - generated by Soloist maker from one of the Bebop styles

Drums: JazzBrushesStick #1

MY SONGS...
Audiophile BIAB 2024
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Hi Noel

Smooooth

Easy goin' lyrics, almost cheesy smile . I like the way the bass goes into a 4 at about 41

The guitar solo fits perfect, followed by smooth piano solo.

And hey - the link to the Lead Sheet adds a really nice touch.

Not bad, not bad at all.

Cheers

Trevor

PS: the immediately following song on the Sound Cloud channel was "Will Sparks - Catch", not a good song to immediately follow "Sunny Side of Life With" IMHO, but i don't know if you have control over that bit.

BIAB & RB2024 Win.(Audiophile), Sonar Platinum, Cakewalk by Bandlab, Izotope Prod.Bundle, Roland RD-1000, Synthogy Ivory, Kontakt, Focusrite 18i20, KetronSD2, NS40M Monitors, Pioneer Active Monitors, AKG K271 Studio H'phones
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Noel,

Well that was up to your normal standard grin and it fits perfectly withe the day we have here, after weeks of storms and never ending rain it is now sunny, the sunny side of life.

Very enjoyable.

Alyn

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Hi Noel,

very relaxing and uplifting.
I like the chord progression and tune.
Well sung and arranged.
No wonder the sun came out here today.

Guenter

User Showcase
Expert
Expert
Very authentic sound of the period. The vocal suits just right. Nice production. Sounds like a show song. Cheers.

User Showcase
Expert
Expert
'Grab some wishes, pack a daydream'

That's a great line! This is so sweet, perfect mix.

My musical brain is limited to the I IV V stuff, so I'm kind of in awe at these progressions. I sure enjoyed this. And so did 'my' Brenda:)

User Showcase
G
Veteran
Veteran
G
Nice stuff!! Feels great! Great prosody! That's a word I learned in a songwriting course by Steve Seskin. I looked it up again but the way he used the word described the marriage between music and lyrics. I love the feel of this one! Very cool indeed!! Take care. Greg

User Showcase
Noel96 Offline OP
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Hey there Trevor!

Absolutely no-one has ever used "smooooth" when they've commented on a song I've been involved with. This is a first. Thank you!

I have to give credit where credit it due, though, none of this song would have been possible without PG Music and BIAB. It's a songwriter's pot of gold.

I appreciate your taking time to listen and to comment.

All the best,
Noel (also on behalf of Brenda)

MY SONGS...
Audiophile BIAB 2024
User Showcase
Noel96 Offline OP
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Hi Alyn,

It's always good to see you. It's been on the news here about the catastrophe that's been pounding England. I can only imagine what it must have been like.

I remember a geographer telling me a couple of years ago that the impact of climate change is felt more as you move outwards from the equator. Maybe his theory is right.

It's good to know that blue skies are back again! They must be all the more sweet after such intense storms.

All the best,
Noel

MY SONGS...
Audiophile BIAB 2024
User Showcase
Noel96 Offline OP
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Hi Guenter,

Thank you for passing through the thread and stopping long enough to have a listen. Brenda will smile when she reads your comments because "relaxing and uplifting" is pretty much how she described it the first time I played the arrangement for her!

All the best,
Noel

MY SONGS...
Audiophile BIAB 2024
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Hi, Noel and Brenda !

I enjoyed your new "classic"
truly much ! This tune would suit
barbershop just superbly !
I wonder if any good arranger
could make a quartet bshop arrangement
out of it ? (unfortunately I am not the one) !:))
Then I could sing it with my
quartet too !:))

Noel, this was nothing
less than brilliant !:))

Cheers
Dani

User Showcase
Noel96 Offline OP
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
G'day Richard!

I appreciate the positive feedback. I'm pretty sure you'll make Brenda's day, too, when she reads it. Both of us really like this musical period and we really enjoy the challenge of trying to come up with something that sounds reminiscent of the Tin Pan Alley era. It's such a defining time in the history of popular music!

Thanks for taking time to listen and to comment.

All the best,
Noel

MY SONGS...
Audiophile BIAB 2024
User Showcase
Noel96 Offline OP
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Hey Scott.

Thanks for noticing that line. Believe it or not, that was one of the last lines to arrive. Brenda and I tried heaps of possibilities but none of them seemed to sit as well as we wanted them to. When "grab some wishes" came along, it seemed to do the job nicely.

Also, there's nothing wrong with I IV V (and ii). In fact, what I've done is simply to dress up those chords and use the same progressions in a couple of keys. BIAB makes it easy and fun!

Best regards,
Noel

MY SONGS...
Audiophile BIAB 2024
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Yep... this is how to do Jazz with BB/RB! All you folks here who do jazz styling/genre, study this as your next lesson. This is how it's done.

Going back for the second serving....

This struck me as the kind of song you might hear Frank Sinatra or Sammy Davis Jr sing or even a movie show tune.

I like your voice in it but I'm wondering how this would sound with a lady crooning it. I can see this in a movie without any problem. The only problem is they don't make movies like that anymore.

Superb in so many ways.

Last edited by Guitarhacker; 02/25/14 05:32 AM.

You can find my music at:
www.herbhartley.com
Add nothing that adds nothing to the music.
You can make excuses or you can make progress but not both.

The magic you are looking for is in the work you are avoiding.
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Noel, Very well done. Great arrangement and editing. The mix is perfect. Very good vocal. In this genre it doesn't get much better than this. Congratulations on some fine work.

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
"Grab some wishes, pack a daydream"

I was all poised to comment on this line when Janice told me that a poster had already mentioned it. What the heck....it's a great line. Janice, the eternal child, has no problems grabbing wishes and packing daydreams around. Me? I need encouragement...like running into the sentiment of this song.

Your tin pan alley/jazz meld works perfectly for me. Like Dani said it's a "new classic." Congrats on a really cool production. We're old movie fans so this genre is no stranger to us. Vocally, lyrically, and arrangement wise you nailed it!

User Showcase
Noel96 Offline OP
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Hi Dani,

Thank you for such uplifting comments. You're definitely being overly generous but they sure made me smile a really big smile.

When I get some holidays in a couple of months time, I'll see if I can do a barbershop quartet arrangement for you. To be honest, I've never arranged a song for a barbershop quartet before. I have done a number of 4-voice a Capella arrangements though so that should help me get going. It will be an interesting exercise for me.

While I can't promise to do this arrangement, because I often find that things happen that take away my available time, I can promise to try my hardest to do it for you.

Let's see what happens.

Once again, thank you smile
Noel

P.S. If you're interested, the link below takes you to one of my all time favourite a Capella quartets.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YTnLEYeR8SI

Every time I listen to these guys sing, I'm left in awe that 4 voices can sound so brilliant!

MY SONGS...
Audiophile BIAB 2024
User Showcase
Noel96 Offline OP
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Hey Herb.

You've left me speechless. I don't know how to reply to your comments! Brenda and I are only novices in the jazz field. The real credit for being able to do this goes to Peter Gannon and his team. Without any doubt, I know that I would not have been able to put together an arrangement of this quality without BIAB/RB, Realtracks and Realdrums. It truly is a brilliant program.

I totally agree with you about a lady crooner. I reckon it would add a whole new dimension to the song with female vocals. I'd love to hear it.

Thank you for taking time to listen. I always appreciate your thoughts.

Best regards,
Noel

MY SONGS...
Audiophile BIAB 2024
User Showcase
Noel96 Offline OP
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Hi Greg,

Steve Seskin is one of the best songwriting teachers I've ever been to. I've been really lucky here in Australia because he has been out here on three occasions and I've been to all three weekend workshops he conducted. He's just brilliant and I've learnt such a huge amount from him.

If anyone is interested, Seskin (and other top notch songwriters) have online courses available at Songwork.com (link). To my way of thinking, the $29 for a month's subscription to Songwork.com is amazing value and a great investment for anyone who wants to grow their songwriting ability.

Thank you for having a listen to "Sunny Side". I really appreciate your comments (I know Brenda will too!). It's interesting that you mention prosody because that is something that is always on my mind when I write smile

All the best,
Noel

Last edited by Noel96; 02/27/14 11:49 AM.

MY SONGS...
Audiophile BIAB 2024
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Very enjoyable listen. Love the music from this era. Excellent vocal and playing...

Scott Collingwood
https://soundcloud.com/scottt709
https://soundcloud.com/spiritlevel-ca
https://www.youtube.com/@SpiritLevel-ge3hm/
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Update Your PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 Today!

Add updated printing options, enhanced tracks settings, smoother use of MGU and SGU (BB files) within PowerTracks, and more with the latest PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 update!

Learn more about this free update for PowerTracks Pro Audio & download it at www.pgmusic.com/support_windows_pt.htm#2024_5

The Newest RealBand 2024 Update is Here!

The newest RealBand 2024 Build 5 update is now available!

Download and install this to your RealBand 2024 for updated print options, streamlined loading and saving of .SGU & MGU (BB) files, and to add a number of program adjustments that address user-reported bugs and concerns.

This free update is available to all RealBand 2024 users. To learn more about this update and download it, head to www.pgmusic.com/support.realband.htm#20245

The Band-in-a-Box® Flash Drive Backup Option

Today (April 5) is National Flash Drive Day!

Did you know... not only can you download your Band-in-a-Box® Pro, MegaPAK, or PlusPAK purchase - you can also choose to add a flash drive backup copy with the installation files for only $15? It even comes with a Band-in-a-Box® keychain!

For the larger Band-in-a-Box® packages (UltraPAK, UltraPAK+, Audiophile Edition), the hard drive backup copy is available for only $25. This will include a preinstalled and ready to use program, along with your installation files.

Backup copies are offered during the checkout process on our website.

Already purchased your e-delivery version, and now you wish you had a backup copy? It's not too late! If your purchase was for the current version of Band-in-a-Box®, you can still reach out to our team directly to place your backup copy order!

Note: the Band-in-a-Box® keychain is only included with flash drive backup copies, and cannot be purchased separately.

Handy flash drive tip: Always try plugging in a USB device the wrong way first? If your flash drive (or other USB plug) doesn't have a symbol to indicate which way is up, look for the side with a seam on the metal connector (it only has a line across one side) - that's the side that either faces down or to the left, depending on your port placement.

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows® Today!

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows for free with build 1111!

With this update, there's more control when saving images from the Print Preview window, we've added defaults to the MultiPicker for sorting and font size, updated printing options, updated RealTracks and other content, and addressed user-reported issues with the StylePicker, MIDI Soloists, key signature changes, and more!

Learn more about this free update for Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/support_windowsupdates.htm#1111

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 Review: 4.75 out of 5 Stars!

If you're looking for a in-depth review of the newest Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows version, you'll definitely find it with Sound-Guy's latest review, Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows Review: Incredible new capabilities to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs.

A few excerpts:
"The Tracks view is possibly the single most powerful addition in 2024 and opens up a new way to edit and generate accompaniments. Combined with the new MultiPicker Library Window, it makes BIAB nearly perfect as an 'intelligent' composer/arranger program."

"MIDI SuperTracks partial generation showing six variations – each time the section is generated it can be instantly auditioned, re-generated or backed out to a previous generation – and you can do this with any track type. This is MAJOR! This takes musical experimentation and honing an arrangement to a new level, and faster than ever."

"Band in a Box continues to be an expansive musical tool-set for both novice and experienced musicians to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs, as well as an extensive educational resource. It is huge, with hundreds of functions, more than any one person is likely to ever use. Yet, so is any DAW that I have used. BIAB can do some things that no DAW does, and this year BIAB has more DAW-like functions than ever."

Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,556
Posts734,393
Members38,490
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
michel vermeulen, Mikanh132, ABE, Nancy Gochnauer, Frank G
38,489 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 184