You need to be logged in to post
Options
Index
#242938 - 03/07/14 03:31 AM [User Showcase] Free Rider - Motorcycle Song
Loc: New Zealand
RichMac Offline
Expert

Got to revision no3. Backed off the vocal, cleaned up the beginning. I like it more now so thanks to all for the constructive comments.

Took the good advice offered by Herb, Floyd and Guenter and backed off on the effects.Thank you gentlemen. Yeah i got an old vinyl lp of Walter Brennan. Must find it and have another listen.

https://soundcloud.com/tuigorge/free-rider-2

https://soundcloud.com/tuigorge/free-rider

RD - Nashville classic waltz
Bass - RT 777
Guitars - RT 825, 823.
Midi trumpet

Free Rider

I dont want a harley or a honda
I dont want a chopper or trike
Just want some old wheels
and some takeaway meals
And the chance to move on with my life

It's a long time since I been on the road
Though I left you there so long a-go
It's time to start searchin
I cant say for certain
I think I'll just go with the flow

Got a ride and a bright starry sky over-head
I'm a long way from heaven and a long way from dead
I float through the night on this gun-metal steed
I cant see around corners but I can see all I need

I hear your soul calling me home
It's a long time since I left you a-lone
it cant be that far
to that bright shining star
And the place where I'll find you a-gain

I don't want to be a one percent outlaw
and I won't spend my time with the lost ninety nine
I Ride the wild highway seeking re-demption
In my own way and in my own time

And I feel your sweet warmth in the night

Edited by RichMac (03/09/14 07:34 PM)

#242944 - 03/07/14 07:36 AM [User Showcase] Re: Free Rider - Motorcycle Song [Re: RichMac]
Guitarhacker Offline
Veteran

Cool tune, kinda reminds me of some of the old country recordings by folks like Walter Brennen. I think he did some "talking" recordings.

On the sound effects.... generally when you use a sound effect, it is used sparingly. The motorcycle continued through the entire song. Unfortunately, an engine running at speed also has a pitch to it's sound and that "note" was droning in the background out of key to the song.

A better way to use the sound effect would be to have let it run by itself for 5 to 8 seconds as the bike cranks and gets going. Then start a fairly rapid fade as the song starts so that 3 seconds into the music the bike is gone on down the road. Now, the listeners are focused on the song. I found myself distracted by the sound of the bike all the way through..... then somewhere in the song, the bike cranks again....

Use sound effects in songs like salt. A pinch in the right place is all you need.

Cool tune that as a rider, I can relate to.

Add nothing that adds nothing to the music.

As the sword chooses the warrior, so too, the song chooses the writer.

#242960 - 03/07/14 08:43 AM [User Showcase] Re: Free Rider - Motorcycle Song [Re: RichMac]
Loc: Florida
floyd jane Offline
Veteran

Richard,

A very well written piece. And well delivered. Good points from Herb, the effect is overdone. At the beginning and end would be enough - you might have it pop up between verses for a moment and then fade again.

Not sure how you might accomplish it, but it would be cool if you could have a group (choir-like) singing behind you on the last chorus.
It's the weekend - gather your friends - have 'em all bring a bottle - no telling where that might lead...

This is a very enjoyable listen.

floyd

#242979 - 03/07/14 10:02 AM [User Showcase] Re: Free Rider - Motorcycle Song [Re: RichMac]
Loc: Karlsruhe, Germany
boehm Offline
Veteran

Loc: Karlsruhe, Germany
Hi Richard,

this could be a cool song if you take
the above advice. Then this would be
an enjoyable listen.
Neat lyrics.

Guenter

#243027 - 03/07/14 05:05 PM [User Showcase] Re: Free Rider - Motorcycle Song [Re: RichMac]
Loc: Kentucky
PgFantastic Offline
Veteran

Loc: Kentucky
like the line gun metal steed, Like the motorcycle sound effect at the end; thanks for sharing!

Psalm 57:7 My heart, O God, is steadfast, my heart is steadfast; I will sing and make music.

#243157 - 03/08/14 03:34 PM [User Showcase] Re: Free Rider - Motorcycle Song [Re: PgFantastic]
RichMac Offline
Expert

PGfantastic. Thanks for listening and the comment Robert. Cheers.

#243167 - 03/08/14 05:09 PM [User Showcase] Re: Free Rider - Motorcycle Song [Re: RichMac]
Loc: GA USA
Janice & Bud Offline
Veteran

Loc: GA USA
"I float through the night on this gun-metal steed
I cant see around corners but I can see all I need"

That alone is worth the listen! You can spend way too much time trying to see around those corners. Cool idea and production. Enjoyed it.

#243201 - 03/09/14 04:11 AM [User Showcase] Re: Free Rider - Motorcycle Song [Re: RichMac]
RichMac Offline
Expert

Janice and Bud thanks for listening and for your great comment! Cheers.

#243211 - 03/09/14 09:23 AM [User Showcase] Re: Free Rider - Motorcycle Song [Re: RichMac]
Guitarhacker Offline
Veteran

There you go... much better since it was edited.

One small suggestion remains. The vox seem to jump in very abruptly. It almost sounds like something was chopped off to my ears. I would add a short acoustic guitar chord turn around before the vox comes in to make it flow more naturally.

It sounds like you're saying "But I don't want a harley or a honda." at the very beginning. Edit/remove the "but" and that may work just fine.

this is just a suggestion, my 2 cents as it were....

The song is definitely getting better with the edits you have made.

Edited by Guitarhacker (03/09/14 09:23 AM)

#243235 - 03/09/14 12:26 PM [User Showcase] Re: Free Rider - Motorcycle Song [Re: RichMac]
Loc: Hamlin NY
MarioD Offline
Veteran

Loc: Hamlin NY
Much better!

I agree with Herb about the vocal. I also think that maybe the vocal is a tad too loud, but again that just could be me.

64 bit Win 10 Pro, the latest BiaB and RB, Roland Octa-Capture audio interface, a ton of software and some hardware.

#243264 - 03/09/14 04:38 PM [User Showcase] Re: Free Rider - Motorcycle Song [Re: RichMac]
Loc: Davis, CA
Greg Johnson Offline
Veteran

Loc: Davis, CA

Great verse!!! A very cool listen!! Keep it up. Take care. Greg

#243461 - 03/10/14 08:00 PM [User Showcase] Re: Free Rider - Motorcycle Song [Re: RichMac]
RichMac Offline
Expert

Thanks Greg. This turned into quite a community effort. Have incorporated all the suggestions I could and am pleased with the result. Cheers.

#243508 - 03/11/14 08:13 AM [User Showcase] Re: Free Rider - Motorcycle Song [Re: RichMac]
tommyad Offline
Veteran

Richard, I like the lyrics. The suggestions are definitely making it a better song. Thanks for posting and listening to some of the comments and then taking the time to make the changes. Well done. Tom

#243509 - 03/11/14 08:17 AM [User Showcase] Re: Free Rider - Motorcycle Song [Re: RichMac]
Guitarhacker Offline
Veteran

Yup... the beginning is better now.

It's amazing how a few simple fixes can improve the song so much.

Good job.

#243618 - 03/12/14 04:16 AM [User Showcase] Re: Free Rider - Motorcycle Song [Re: RichMac]
Loc: Australia
Noel96 Offline
Veteran

Loc: Australia
Hey Richard,

This is absolutely terrific. It's inventive, incredibly involving and the uniqueness of the lyrics really make it stand out. Like Greg, the verse about the "gun metal steed" appealed to me.

If you ever you revisit the lyrics, one thing that I'd try is to put them into first person narrative. Change the "you" to "her" and "she". It would be interesting to hear how it sounds.

I'm heading back for another listen now. Great stuff!!!

All the best,
Noel

#243777 - 03/12/14 11:21 PM [User Showcase] Re: Free Rider - Motorcycle Song [Re: RichMac]
RichMac Offline
Expert

Thanks Noel your comments are appreciated. And anyone who took the time to listen and or comment. I have enjoyed the interaction. Cheers.

#243780 - 03/12/14 11:31 PM [User Showcase] Re: Free Rider - Motorcycle Song [Re: RichMac]
Loc: Originally Missouri ... Now Al...
Al-David Offline
Veteran

Loc: Originally Missouri ... Now Al...
Hi Richard...

We're listening to this after all the edits. As is, sounds pretty danged good to us. We're not bikers, never were...but we really enjoyed the song!

We think it's fabulous when the community comes together to offer suggestions that might make a song even better...but it only works when the composer acts on the ideas he'she thinks would improve the song. It seems you have done just that. Congrats on a great song and a great attitude about the process. best to you.

Al & Di

Loops: https://aldavidmusic.wixsite.com/bestmusicloops

#244226 - 03/16/14 09:03 AM [User Showcase] Re: Free Rider - Motorcycle Song [Re: Janice & Bud]
olemon Offline
Expert

Originally Posted By: Janice & Bud
"I float through the night on this gun-metal steed
I cant see around corners but I can see all I need"

That alone is worth the listen!

+1 on that, which is just one example of the golden lyrical nuggets in this song.

PG Music News
RealBand® Works Great in Windows® 11!

Here's an introductory look at RealBand® running on the preview version of Windows® 11!

Watch the video.

Customers LOVE Band-in-a-Box® 2021!

Check out some of the latest Band-in-a-Box® feedback we've received:

"There's a saying 'Give a man a fish, feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish, feed him for a lifetime.' That's exactly what my friend did in 1990. He taught me how to use BIAB and I've used it hundreds of time to do arraignment and to jam with any style band."

"Love BIAB. I use it daily. Their support is great too!"

"RealTracks are amazing!!! I use BIAB for backtracks in my solo act... Still using the basic package and it's all need..."

"I have used Band in A Box for many years. If it would have been around when I was young, I would have been a much better musician. I use it for all my songs I have written and recorded. With Band In A Box I can sit in my room and sound like a whole band without having to put up with them!"

"If you know something about music and take the time to learn the program, you can make it do some amazing things. It is a great help to songwriters who want to demo their song without paying for studio time. It makes changes and tweaks much easier as well."

"Been using it for so many years. It's a great tool. The instruments that I don't have or play make up the void and it saves so much time. I use this program for every song I write."

"Great tool for the songwriter!"

"An essential part of my studio! I write songs on piano, but I'm not a pianist by a long way. BIAB is like having a roomful of session players in your studio, and just the simple act of taking your basic idea and hearing a skilled pianist play it presents so many new ideas and options you hadn't thought of."

"Powerful, easy to use, inexpensive and they even split the modest payments up if you want. No complaints. Lots of satisfaction."

"I added a steel guitar to a fully produced original. He followed every change like he was in the studio reading the chart. Fascinating technology!"

"I have used it to make backing tracks for six CD's with about 12 songs on each. They make a great gift!"

"It's simply a necessity - buy it now - the staff and support do a great job as well!"

"A great tool for us songwriters!"

"I LOVE Band-in-a-Box!"

"I see it as a very worthwhile investment. In fact, from initial purchase about 8 years ago, using the backing tracks I have made, my income from that investment has returned over 5,000% on the investment!"

continued...

Do you have something to say about Band-in-a-Box®? Post your own thoughts for Windows or Mac version today!

Band-in-a-Box® - Boxing Clever - Sound on Sound #TBT

Did you know that Band-in-a-Box® is more than 30 years old? I stumbled across this 1990 magazine article explaining the relatively new program, and think it's an enjoyable read for any Band-in-a-Box user - it really shows that we are always listening to user feedback when developing our program!

Read the article: Boxing Clever: Band-In-A-Box Software

A few of my favorite statements:

"The intention of PG Music's Band-In-A-Box package is to couple that speed and convenience with the improved flexibility of the personal computer. Versions are available for the Atari ST, Mac, and PC compatibles. Have the programmers succeeded? And can they rid themselves of the stigma of the auto-accompaniment section? Given the above state of affairs, the first hurdle that the program has to overcome is one of acceptance and, frankly, a name like 'Band-In-A-Box' is a bad start."

(I think our name was a great start!)

"The final results are, to say the least, impressive. Band-In-A-Box achieves something that most hardwired auto-accompaniment sections have never been able to do - inject a degree of feel into the music. It really does sound more human than so many of the computer generated pieces I've heard."

"...I'm quite convinced that PG Music will have a winner on their hands. This is one piece of software that you can get more out of than you put in."

#TipTuesday Convert RealDrums to MIDI!

Did you know that you can convert RealDrums to MIDI?

VintageGibson shared this tip to our Tips & Tricks forum, which is a great place to look for program tips from other Band-in-a-Box users!

Read this handy trick.

Have a program tip or trick of your own? Share it on our Tips & Tricks forum today!

Band-in-a-Box® 2021 Italian for Mac is Here!

Abbiamo lavorato tanto e abbiamo aggiunto 80 nuove funzionalità e una straordinaria collezione di nuovi contenuti, tra cui 202 RealTracks, nuovi RealStyles, SuperTracks MIDI, Studi Strumentali, Performance degli Artisti, Bonus RealDrums "Singoli", trascrizioni RealDrums, MultiStyles PAK 1, Xtra Styles PAKs 10 e 11, e altro ancora!

Pacchetti | Nuove Caratteristiche

Export / Print a List of Selected Styles (Band-in-a-Box®)

Did you know that you can export a list of your Styles from Band-in-a-Box®?

Head to this forum post in our "Tips & Tricks" forum, where VideoTrack shares another handy tip for Band-in-a-Box® users!

Band-in-a-Box® Chord List Resource

Ever wonder which chords are supported in Band-in-a-Box®? Access the information from the Help file in the program, or read through the list with our Online Manual!

Chord List - Mac Online Manual
Chord List - Windows Online Manual

Review the other Reference topcs while you're there - with explanations of the different menus and the Keystroke Commands (Hot Keys), you'll definitely learn something new!

Forum Stats
34902 Members
66 Forums
70914 Topics
614329 Posts

Max Online: 2537 @ 01/19/20 07:09 AM
Newest Members
MuchHustle, Fiddlecat, cebodorr1, emeraldopia, jojo34

34902 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
swingbabymix 219
VideoTrack 212