Go To
Recording, Mixing, Performance and Production
P
pooch Offline OP
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
P
About to make a serious purchase, and would appreciate advice - I have a duo - keyboards/vocal, and female vocal, and BIAB tracks - playing mostly restaurants, private parties, etc... Is the 1S 'enough' - or is the Model II worth the extra $800 ?
Also, what is my latest/greatest choice for tracks playback? Currently using DVD player...
THANKS !!

Veteran
Veteran
Howdy Pooch.

You will get advice from others regarding the Bose thingy. (not a big fan).

As for the playback, you've asked about this in an earlier thread. My advice is the same – laptop with everything backed up on an Ipod just in case. As for a playback program, you might want to look at this:

http://mike-warren.net/digitalfakebook/

Works a treat.

Regards,

Bob

Veteran
Veteran
I have never used one of those. All I can offer is the words and advice of a friend who has.

My buddy played the cruise ships for years and they used some of the best gear available at the time. The ships always provided the PA rig.

He was familiar with and used the "normal" kind of PA cabs for years. The self powered cabs became standard. His ship was put into dry dock for 2 months for upfits and when he returned, he found one of the Bose systems like you are describing. He was a bit wary, of it, but as soon as he plugged in and turned it on, he was blown away by it's sound.

Bose makes really great gear.

The question is, the model 1 covers small venues up to 300 folks. It would seem to me that this would be large enough to handle the restaurant and private party sized crowds. Really, how loud will you be playing in a restaurant?

The Model 2 goes to larger crowds of 500.... but only you can determine which one will work best. My experience with gear has been that the more money a system cost....generally speaking...the better it would sound. I think this maxim would certainly apply with Bose gear.

From what I see, the model 1 has 12 speakers and the model 2 has 24. More speakers is always better. You will move more air so the lower end will sound better. I didn't read the manuals for power specs...

Were it me, I would go to a store that sells both and compare them side by side before I dropped that much cash on a system.

You should also not rule out the smaller compact "normal" self powered speaker systems with speaker stands and a sub.

A group came to our church several years back and used a pair of 12" speakers on stands with a sub. I thought it was a tad small for the 1000+ seat sanctuary carpeted room. But, I was pleasantly surprised by how loud and clean that system sounded in that room.

Last edited by Guitarhacker; 03/07/14 06:38 AM.

You can find my music at:
www.herbhartley.com
Add nothing that adds nothing to the music.
You can make excuses or you can make progress but not both.

The magic you are looking for is in the work you are avoiding.
M
Mac Offline
Veteran
Veteran
M
Originally Posted By: pooch
...playing mostly restaurants, private parties, etc... Is the 1S 'enough' - or is the Model II worth the extra $800 ?
Also, what is my latest/greatest choice for tracks playback? Currently using DVD player...
THANKS !!

Unless those restaurants are larger than the old Horn and Hardart's, the 24-speaker model would only blow the meatloaf off the tables and may get you fired. *grin* Besides that, most of the time you would be forced to run it too far down inside its designed performance curve. Save yer money.

FWIW I'm in agreement with what this Bose user posted:

Quote:

I currently own and use all 3 L1 systems- which one I use on a particular job depends on the application -
My opinions based on these experiences are as follows:

For bands that require a more punchy driving type of sound, Rock Bands, Polka Bands, etc. I recommend a PAIR of Model 1's each with 1 B1. For Outdoor shows I recommend adding a second B1 to each Model 1. That is plenty for driving electric bass and drum mics combined with the rest of the ensemble. I have personally filled outdoor venues with 10,000 Plus seating with this combination and the sound is clean.

For Bands like jazz, swing, or dixieland gruops, where the bass and bass drum is to be felt and not heard, I recommend 1 Model 2 with 1 B1. - For outdoor shows, I recommend 2 Model 2's with one B1 Each. Same outcome as above.

Always Remember your application.

As for the compact: If you are looking to run a small venue, where you only need a P.A. with a couple of mics, that will suffice. I use a pair of compacts with a small mixer for my dixieland band - Tuba is the bass, and banjo for chords not running thru the L1 Compact in a small to meduim venue. I have done parades with one powered with an inverter off the tow vehicle, and it puts out fine for that. I do not recommend it however for applications requiring an electrice bass combined with piano. The sub woffer on the compact is not able to handle that for some reason, but it does handle CD's played thru just fine - go figure.

CHEERS!
Barney
Owner Penn Dixie Band
www.penndixieband.com

Source: http://bose.infopop.cc/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/867107664/m/8041000005

While his info as to models is dated, the same thought applies.

The Model II would be the choice for the high sound level/large venue application, which is not what you describe as the intended use, so the 1S is plenty for that IMO.

I would go with the 1S for your stated usage, which is pretty much the same type of venues I do with my older L-1 - depending upon what your act is, for example, a small situation with you and one instrument and backing tracks, it should fill the bill nicely. If you are intending to use a live Bass Player, maybe not if the Bass Player does not have their own amp. Bass on well mixed Backing Track should do just fine, though.

And the L-1 systems, all of 'em, sound just fine with just about any backing track source you might use, DVD should sound great, I have used tiny mp3 players with the thing and that sounds purty good for the "hit and run" small venue gigs.

All that said, I have one more question before you lay down the hard earned cash: What exactly does your act consist of in the way of Instrumentation, Vocal count, etc.?

--Mac

Veteran
Veteran
“I have personally filled outdoor venues with 10,000 Plus seating with this combination and the sound is clean.”

Thanks for the laugh. Or should I say...guffaw? laugh laugh laugh

M
Mac Offline
Veteran
Veteran
M
Pat Metheny does it all the time.

You probably wouldn't go to one of his concerts, but he ain't laughing, but he sure has been smiling a lot onstage.

He said, "For the first time in my life, it sounds the way I've been hearing it in my head."

That's onstage. Of course, Pat has a line out to large linear arrays in there as well.

High Pressure DJ and two Bose L1 model II's in a large skating rink environment:

The best part there is no horn blare or "focusing" at a certain single distance going on.

Band playing Stevie cover, OUTDOORS, using Bose L-1s:

That is what was picked up by the built-in Mic on a Video Camera!

And the sharp-eyed should notice that all the instruments other than the Bass are going through the Bose system as well there, to include the guitar. Dig how that guitar solo cuts through, the outdoor crowd can hear it anywhere they happen to be in the venue, yet they can also still talk, laugh and communicate with each other. That's a very cool feature of the Bose systems, since using it, I have had zero problems with anyone, be it venue managers, bartenders, owners, or audience coming up with that demand to TURN IT DOWN. Yet I'm thoroughly satisfied with the sound and perhaps more importantly, with what we hear onstage while performing.

But hey, if you like your horns, big cabinets, power amps, mixer boards, monitors and all that jazz, have at it.

I leave the gig with my L-1 in one ditty bag over my shoulder.

And I am indeed laughing about that.

--Mac

Last edited by Mac; 03/07/14 08:56 AM.
Veteran
Veteran
“That's onstage. Of course, Pat has a line out to large linear arrays in there as well.”

Uh-huh. Guess he couldn't afford the Bose system that covers 10,000 outdoors. grin

“High Pressure DJ and two Bose L1 model II's in a large skating rink environment:”

From Bose's own website. Puhleassseeee......! smirk

“Band playing Stevie cover, OUTDOORS, using Bose L-1s:”

From the video page:

“2nd Planet performing Stevie Wonder's "Higher Ground" exclusively with a total of FIVE Bose L1 Amplification Systems.”

That's $9000 worth of “PA” at $1800 a pop. Lot of bang for the buck! laugh

And what are those strange black boxes onstage....why they're amps, of course.

Can you cite some specs on that L1 system? No? Oh, that's right. Bose doesn't publish their specs. No frequency range, power output, SPLs.......nothing. Every other company does, but not Bose. They're special.

“But hey, if you like your horns, big cabinets, power amps, mixer boards, monitors and all that jazz, have at it.
I leave the gig with my L-1 in one ditty bag over my shoulder.
And I am indeed laughing about that.”

Yeah. That's probably more than enough PA for the nursing homes. For a packed bar on a weekend.......not so much. grin

Veteran
Veteran
To Pooch -

Bose 1S - $1800.

Or, you could get....... (2)Mackie Thump TH-12A Powered Speakers = $540.
http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/Thump12/

Soundcraft EFX8 Mixer = $400.
http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/EFX8/

(2) On-Stage Stands SS7761B All-Aluminum Speaker Stands = $100
http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/SpeakerStd/

(2) Pro Co S12NN-25 – 25' = $80.
http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/S12NN25

Total = $1120.

Not as “portable” as the Bose system, but it's 400 watts with good on-board effects, plenty of channels, and will cover everything from a coffeehouse to a bar.

M
Mac Offline
Veteran
Veteran
M
Originally Posted By: 90 dB

And what are those strange black boxes onstage....why they're amps, of course.

If you could slow down you would have read that I stated that the Bass player there was using his own amp/cabs.

The box on the ground to the guitar player's right is a road case of the type used to transport the L-1 with subwoofer setups.

Quote:
Everyone else is indeed going through the Bose systems, yes, there are 5 of them there,

The way we do it is that each bandmember purchases one system. Consider that the keyboard player and the guitarist would have to purchase a separate instrument amp, then on top of that the drummer and the singers would have to purchase PA. Instead, 5 L-1s easily handles all of that. And again, that is OUTDOORS.

Quote:
Can you cite some specs on that L1 system? No? Oh, that's right. Bose doesn't publish their specs. No frequency range, power output, SPLs.......nothing. Every other company does, but not Bose. They're special.

Can't speak to why they don't puhlish specs, but certainly can testify to the fact that the system flat works and works very well indeed.

Quote:

Yeah. That's probably more than enough PA for the nursing homes. For a packed bar on a weekend.......not so much. grin

I use 'em in the bars, too, all the time.

You really need to tame the snark, it ain't workin' all that well for you.

Just an observation,

--Mac

Veteran
Veteran
Bose doesn't supply specs (like every other company does) because they would be laughable, and you know it, Professor.

If you're happy playing in “bars” with that thing, more power to you. I've heard them in bars, and they sucked. Of course, I'm not the expert here.

Not 'snark'. Just a healthy BS detector. Got much stock in Bose, do you?

I suppose I should feel lucky you didn't call me a racist again. grin

Expert
Expert
Really couldn't tell you whether the L1 Compact System is enough or not, but I can tell you that Bose stuff sounds GOOD. I've heard 3 guitars, bass and vocals run through dual L1's in an open air pavilion for about 350 people and the sound was very good. A good friend I used to work with does a solo jazz guitar thing in a medium sized restaurant here and he runs his 335 along with tracks through a single L1 system and the sound is also of good quality.

Bottom line, you gotta hear it and make up your own mind. There does seem to be two opposing views in this thread, and even though one side is being somewhat of an [*****] about it, you should hear them both out, then listen to systems yourself and make up your mind.

M
Mac Offline
Veteran
Veteran
M

I say again -- I have NEVER called you a racist.

Please cease telling that lie.

--Mac

M
Mac Offline
Veteran
Veteran
M

Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: Mac

--Mac

Overtly? No. But did you imply, allude, insinuate, intimate? Certainly. You have introduced race into totally innocuous topics, not I, or anyone else. You have played the race card, the victim card, not I, or anyone else.

As I said before, I truly pity you for your myopic views and your perceived victim-hood.

I know how important the last word is to you, so have at it. In future I will regard you with the respect that you deserve. grin

M
Mac Offline
Veteran
Veteran
M
Originally Posted By: Mac

--Mac

Overtly? No. But did you imply, allude, insinuate, intimate? Certainly. You have introduced race into totally innocuous topics, not I, or anyone else. You have played the race card, the victim card, not I, or anyone else.

As I said before, I truly pity you for your myopic views and your perceived victim-hood.

I know how important the last word is to you, so have at it. In future I will regard you with the respect that you deserve. grin

90dB's attempts at using Alinsky style tactics may be crossing the line as regards the Forum Rules.

I challenge him to PROVE his allegations about me.

Quote:

Registration as a User implies acceptance of the following terms and conditions:

3 There will be no racial, ethnic, or gender based insults or any other personal discrimination.

4 There will be no posts meant to offend or hurt any other member in a manner which is offensive or inflammatory.

--Mac

Veteran
Veteran
I have one of those Bose Wave radios that I bought for my wife many years back. Yup, it sounds good, but I have a major problem if I want to try to make it sound better to my personal taste.

Bose engineers did not include any sort of tone control on it, stating in essence that they know what's best for me in my rooms and there is no need for me to be able to adjust what they considered, in the lab, to be the perfect balance.

So why would they bother to publish the specs for the amps and the speakers on PA system that costs way more then the competition's?

I think maybe...........

perceived reputation?

It's kind of like those companies selling the audio cables that cost hundreds, and at times, thousands of dollars. It's mostly all hype and if you go and buy a decent $20 guitar cable, it will sound exactly like the one costing hundreds with the fancy name and specs that have a difference in performance that is only detectable in a lab with state of the art test gear.

just another 2 cents into the conversation

Last edited by Guitarhacker; 03/08/14 06:58 AM.

You can find my music at:
www.herbhartley.com
Add nothing that adds nothing to the music.
You can make excuses or you can make progress but not both.

The magic you are looking for is in the work you are avoiding.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Video: Volume Automation in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created a video to help you learn more about the Volume Automation options in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows.

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Volume Automation

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#volume-automation

Video: Audio Input Monitoring with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created this short video to explain Audio Input Monitoring within Band-in-a-Box® 2024, and included some tips & troubleshooting details too!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Audio Input Monitoring

3:17: Tips
5:10: Troubleshooting

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#audio-input-monitoring

Video: Enhanced Melodists in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®!

We've enhanced the Melodists feature included in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows!

Access the Melodist feature by pressing F7 in the program to open the new MultiPicker Library and locate the [Melodist] tab.

You can now generate a melody on any track in the program - very handy! Plus, you select how much of the melody you want generated - specify a range, or apply it to the whole track.

See the Melodist in action with our video, Band-in-a-Box® 2024: The Melodist Window.

Learn even more about the enhancements to the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024upgrade/chapter3.htm#enhanced-melodist

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Specifically for Reaper®

New with the DAW Plugin Version 6.0, released with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows: the Reaper® Panel!

This new panel offers built-in specific support for the Reaper® DAW API allowing direct transfer of Band-in-a-Box® files to/from Reaper® tracks!

When you run the Plugin from Reaper®, there is a panel to set the following options:
-BB Track(s) to send: This allows you to select the Plugin tracks that will be sent Reaper.
-Destination Reaper Track: This lets you select the destination Reaper track to receive media content from the Plugin.
-At Bar: You can select a bar in Reaper where the Plugin tracks should be placed.
-Start Below Selected Track: This allows you to place the Plugin tracks below the destination Reaper track.
-Overwrite Reaper Track: You can overwrite previous content on the destination Reaper track.
-Move to Project Folder: With this option, you can move the Plugin tracks to the Reaper project folder.
-Send Reaper Instructions Enable this option to send the Reaper Instructions instead of rendering audio tracks, which is faster.
-Render Audio & Instructions: Enable this option to generate audio files and the Reaper instructions.
-Send Tracks After Generating: This allows the Plugin to automatically send tracks to Reaper after generating.
-Send Audio for MIDI Track: Enable this option to send rendered audio for MIDI tracks.
-Send RealCharts with Audio: If this option is enabled, Enable this option to send RealCharts with audio.

Check out this video highlighting the new Reaper®-specific features: Band-in-a-Box® DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Specifically for Reaper®

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Video

The new Band-in-a-Box VST DAW Plugin Verion 6 adds over 20 new features!

Watch the new features video to learn more: Video: Band-in-a-Box® 2024 - DAW Plugin Version 6 New Features

We also list these new features at www.pgmusic.com/bbwin.plugin.htm.

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,395
Posts732,501
Members38,441
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
Mark Morgan, zagrajbarke, Ernest J, Izzy, BenChaz
38,441 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 195