Print Thread
Go To
#245078 03/23/14 08:29 AM
Recording, Mixing, Performance and Production
JCJazz Offline OP
Apprentice
OP Offline
Apprentice
Hello everyone it has been along time but i am coming back real soon .I am getting 2013ultrapack and want to get one of the zoom recorder/ interface. Real simple question will it work as a controller for RealBand BIAB and PowerTracks pro? I am getting the Ultrapack for sure and really like the zoom . Thanks i just didn't have time to search the forum.

Last edited by JCJazz; 03/23/14 08:42 AM.

Love getting back into biab in 2024
JCJazz #245096 03/23/14 11:41 AM
P
Veteran
Veteran
P
No, I have an R16. you can use it to input record audio into real band and band in a box, but it will not work the faders, you may also have to download an asio type program if your soundcard will not accept asio. Pg has not yet, at least not to my knowledge added a template for zoom. My zoom came with a free version of Cubase LE4, yours probably will have some type of daw, most likely a version of Cubase with it. you can then control the faders with it and mute and solo, you can also program other buttons on the zoom to control pan etc. The way I do my work is I create the song using Band in a Box, then insert them into Cubase; I then record my vocal or instrument to a track in Cubase and mix and master in Cubase. I hope this helps, if you have anymore questions send me a message and I will try to answer them for you!

My Tunes

Psalm 57:7 My heart, O God, is steadfast, my heart is steadfast; I will sing and make music.
JCJazz Offline OP
Apprentice
OP Offline
Apprentice
Thank you so much. Does work with powertracks or is the same type problem?

JCJazz #245153 03/24/14 05:52 AM
Veteran
Veteran
I'm not a fan of the multifunction recording devices....

I prefer a dedicated ASIO driver based interface that simply does audio and perhaps midi in that one box.

Get a nice condenser mic, and some DAW software if Real Band isn't sufficient for you.

That's all you really need to get a nice studio started.

You can find my music at:
www.herbhartley.com
Add nothing that adds nothing to the music.
You can make excuses or you can make progress but not both.

The magic you are looking for is in the work you are avoiding.
JCJazz Offline OP
Apprentice
OP Offline
Apprentice
I am basically looking for a mixer i can use instead of mixing with the mouse and the zoom's seem to work with most DAW so i was hoping it would work with RB and powertracks(I love both programs).

JCJazz #245183 03/24/14 09:22 AM
Veteran
Veteran
Some folks I know in another forum site use a small, inexpensive Behringer mixer to accomplish this.

It allows more channels for live input mixed down to the output in stereo and acts like a preamp as well.... and I believe it also supplies phantom power for condenser mics.

Using that setup, you would of course have one output into one track.... or at best, stereo.

If you need to have multiple inputs at the same time beyond the basic 2 on most interfaces, a larger interface with a mixer capable of that number of outputs would be in order. Some of the control surfaces available will control the major DAW platforms....

I mix totally in the box so I have no mixer in my studio at all, from the hardware perspective. And the basic 2 inputs is more than sufficient for me.

Last edited by Guitarhacker; 03/24/14 09:23 AM.

You can find my music at:
www.herbhartley.com
Add nothing that adds nothing to the music.
You can make excuses or you can make progress but not both.

The magic you are looking for is in the work you are avoiding.
JCJazz #245186 03/24/14 09:51 AM
R
Veteran
Veteran
R
Behringer also has control surfaces which allow motorized sliders/knobs for quite inexpensive outlay. The Zoom R series should allow for independent inputs - quite a bit different than using an analog mixer to mix everything down to two tracks.

I'm a fan of Zoom products in general, my Zoom G5 is a killer guitar amp/effects simulator, and not a bad 2 track I/O device.

Whether or not the Zoom motorized faders can be controlled by BIAB/RB is likely not the case. This likely requires Mackie Control functionality of the DAW, and last time I checked this is not part of the function of PG products. Here's an old wishlist topic on the matter:
http://www.pgmusic.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=85978

It's hard to see if the R series faders are in fact motorized. They may not be. If they are not, then it really isn't so much of a control surface as say the Behringer BCF2000 http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/BCF2000/ which absolutely has motorized faders.

To the OP, you may want to consider separating the function of what you are looking for - which is more important to you - multiple inputs to simultaneously record, control surface capability (which may eliminate PG products for you), etc. ?

-Scott

JCJazz #245215 03/24/14 02:04 PM
JCJazz Offline OP
Apprentice
OP Offline
Apprentice
Well i love Biab and will be using for along time so i guess when i get real serious about a CD i will do final mixing in different DAW. Unless i get really used to mixing on my Laptop Glad I didn't buy the zoom, it would be amazing if it worked like it does in cubebase oh well. Pumped the get My UltraPlus pack in a week or so.

JCJazz #245223 03/24/14 03:21 PM
Veteran
Veteran
Neither the R16 or R24 have motorized faders. Per PG Music support neither BIAB or RealBand support surface control operation.

The R24 uses components and firmware one generation newer than the R16. The R16 uses the same firmware family and major sound components found in Zoom's HD-8 and HD-16. The R8 actually has more althorythm presets and more input flexability than the R24. The R8 and R24 share firmware families as well as major sound components and are likely the last desktop sized digital recorders that Zoom will make. Presently Zoom is concentrating on the handheld digital recorder market.

Whichever you choose, Zoom makes products with a high feature set to price ratio. I have an older MRS-8 unit that continues to work as well now as it did new in 2007. I've been very happy with it.

Jim Fogle - 2024 BiaB (1109) RB (Build 3) Ultra+ PAK
Cakewalk - Zoom MRS-8 recorder
Desktop: i7 Win 10 build 2004, 12GB ram 256GB SSD, 4 TB HDD
Laptop: i3 64bit Win 10 build 21H2, 8GB ram 500GB HDD
Music at: https://fogle622.wix.com/fogle622-audio-home
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Band-in-a-Box® 2024 Review: 4.75 out of 5 Stars!

If you're looking for a in-depth review of the newest Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows version, you'll definitely find it with Sound-Guy's latest review, Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows Review: Incredible new capabilities to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs.

A few excerpts:
"The Tracks view is possibly the single most powerful addition in 2024 and opens up a new way to edit and generate accompaniments. Combined with the new MultiPicker Library Window, it makes BIAB nearly perfect as an 'intelligent' composer/arranger program."

"MIDI SuperTracks partial generation showing six variations – each time the section is generated it can be instantly auditioned, re-generated or backed out to a previous generation – and you can do this with any track type. This is MAJOR! This takes musical experimentation and honing an arrangement to a new level, and faster than ever."

"Band in a Box continues to be an expansive musical tool-set for both novice and experienced musicians to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs, as well as an extensive educational resource. It is huge, with hundreds of functions, more than any one person is likely to ever use. Yet, so is any DAW that I have used. BIAB can do some things that no DAW does, and this year BIAB has more DAW-like functions than ever."

Happy Easter! Holiday Hours...

2024 is well underway - it's already Easter Weekend!

Our Customer Service hours this weekend are:

Friday, March 29: 8-4
Saturday, March 30: 8-4
Sunday, March 31: closed

Regular hours resume Monday, April 1st - no joke!

Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Video: Volume Automation in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created a video to help you learn more about the Volume Automation options in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows.

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Volume Automation

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#volume-automation

Video: Audio Input Monitoring with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created this short video to explain Audio Input Monitoring within Band-in-a-Box® 2024, and included some tips & troubleshooting details too!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Audio Input Monitoring

3:17: Tips
5:10: Troubleshooting

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#audio-input-monitoring

Video: Enhanced Melodists in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®!

We've enhanced the Melodists feature included in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows!

Access the Melodist feature by pressing F7 in the program to open the new MultiPicker Library and locate the [Melodist] tab.

You can now generate a melody on any track in the program - very handy! Plus, you select how much of the melody you want generated - specify a range, or apply it to the whole track.

See the Melodist in action with our video, Band-in-a-Box® 2024: The Melodist Window.

Learn even more about the enhancements to the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024upgrade/chapter3.htm#enhanced-melodist

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,399
Posts732,550
Members38,442
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
danielsk, Mark Morgan, zagrajbarke, Ernest J, Izzy
38,442 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 199