Print Thread
Go To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
User Showcase
tommyad Offline OP
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
I was looking through some loops and stumbled across this piano section. I worked up an approximation of the chords and added a chorus. The whole time I had Janice in mind for the vocal. She agreed to work on this and along with Bud's indispensable observations we came up with this. We hope everyone enjoys this. Comments/ Suggestions are welcome as always.

http://tommyadamsmusic.com/music

http://soundclick.com/share.cfm?id=12748108

Style MIDI Instruments are : Fender Bass (34),
RealTracks in song: 1883:Piano, Acoustic, Soloist Country12-8John Sw 065
RealTracks in song: ~970:Guitar, Electric, Rhythm CountrySwingCleanPedal Sw 085
RealTracks in song: ~688:Organ, B3, Background Pop Ev 065
MIDI SuperTracks in song: 1886:Piano, Solo-Accompaniment Bluesy12-8John Sw 060
RealTracks in song: ~743:Piano, Acoustic, Rhythm Jazz Ballad Sw 060 (A:simple)
RealDrums: RealDrums in Style: Nashville128^08-a:Snare, b:Ride

Vocal- Janice Merritt
Guitar- Tom Adams
Piano Loop - Logic Pro9

I Don't Want To Hear You Say Goodbye

You don’t have to say a thing it’s written on your face

i don’t understand it how we’ve gotten to this place

But once i learned to love you

and let you take my heart

Now I can’t stand to watch us fall apart

looking at you now a piece of me just died

i don’t want to hear you say goodbye

Guitar

you don’t have to stay and talk I can’t change your mind

there’s miles of smiles and years of tears in what we leave behind

I guess I’ll have to straighten up to keep from falling down

It’ll take some getting used to not having you around

There’s nothing left to say so please don’t say a word

Won’t you just walk away away from all this hurt

Guitar

There’s nothing left to say so please don’t say a word

Won’t you just walk away away from all this hurt

©2014 Thomas Adams / Janice Merritt

Last edited by tommyad; 04/08/14 01:35 PM.
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Hi Janice and Tommy,

Where to start????

The minute the piano began playing I thought, "Wow! That's a great piano loop". When the guitar came in I thought, "Nice. Very nice".

Then Janice started singing against the piano and I was mesmerised, transfixed, glued to my headphones. My ears were overwhelmed with the velvet luxuriousness of the sound. It was such an amazing and outstanding combination - Janice + piano.

The production and the arrangement, Tommy's playing, Janice's singing, the melody, the lyrics, every single thing about this work is solid gold quality through and through.

Oh, one last thing, I absolutely love the chord progression.

Overall ... stunning!

All the best,
Noel

MY SONGS...
Audiophile BIAB 2024
User Showcase
G
Veteran
Veteran
G
WOW!!! Just great! This would be a great one to pitch to Bonnie Raitt, although her vocal couldn't be much better than Janice's. Killer stuff!
there’s miles of smiles and years of tears in what we leave behind (one of the best lines I've ever heard!!!) Take care. Greg

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: Noel96
Hi Janice and Tommy,

Where to start????

The minute the piano began playing I thought, "Wow! That's a great piano loop". When the guitar came in I thought, "Nice. Very nice".

Then Janice started singing against the piano and I was mesmerised, transfixed, glued to my headphones. My ears were overwhelmed with the velvet luxuriousness of the sound. It was such an amazing and outstanding combination - Janice + piano.

The production and the arrangement, Tommy's playing, Janice's singing, the melody, the lyrics, every single thing about this work is solid gold quality through and through.

Oh, one last thing, I absolutely love the chord progression.

Overall ... stunning!

All the best,
Noel

That is very kind of you Noel. Tom had an idea for the melody and it was easy and fun to work with the arrangement. I really appreciate your comments.

Janice

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Tom and Janice...

This is STUNNING. BEAUTIFUL. GORGEOUS. DELICIOUS!!!

What an incredible production. The opening piano sounds like you've known it all your life. It grabs you immediately and never lets you go.

The guitar sings. Like the best of Jeff Beck. Tom - you seem to have blossomed before our eyes into some Guitar Superhero.

Gotta know how you processed the drums. Every piece of the kit sounds PERFECT! Big, full. The organ - perfect. There's that guitar again - gorgeous... And the pianos - details please - 2 RTs, a midi, the loop - what's where?

and... Janice... OH! MY! GOD! - a vocal that careers are made from. I couldn't hear a single word - all I could hear was THE VOICE - SINGING. In a league with Linda Ronstadt. Honestly. I do not say that lightly. Pure Joy To Listen To. WOW. Pure emotion. Like it came from your very soul.

A beautiful song - lyric and melody. The sound of an instant classic.

Stunning.

floyd

User Showcase
tommyad Offline OP
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Noel, thanks very much for your kindness. We all look forward to what you have to say. We actually said that we wondered what Noel will say. Now we know. Thanks again.

Greg, I thought of that line in the middle of the night and almost got up to write it down. Then I second guessed it and Bud talked me into keeping it. This songwriting thing can get a little tricky. Thanks for the compliments.

Floyd, thanks for all the nice things that you come up with to say. We hold your opinion in high regard. There are 15 tracks, the loop is the intro and outro, midi piano throughout, midi piano for little fills, 2 generations of real track piano all separate tracks faded in and out to make one instrument, organ, bass, drums, real track guitar 2 generations sliced and diced, lead guitar and 3 tracks of vocal comped to 1. All instruments were run through alloy2. The vocal is a natural and soulful setting in Nectar2. Last but not least the drums were run through alloy2. The big bottom sound was used. The toms were so hot they are dropped 3.5 db in every fill and they're still pretty loud. I also used nectar breath control on the outro vocal. I think all of us here on the forum recognize that Janice has got something very special. Something that you only run across a few times in a lifetime and I am glad that I was able to work with her on this. Thanks again. Tom

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
That song is so good in so many ways.

Yup.. loved the clarity and fatness of the mix, the chord progressions and the unexpected chords, the drums are my kind of drums, the guitar tone is to die for, sweet and tasteful picking, amazing B3 in the background just rocks this to a different level, the piano is classic, the vocals are spot on and of the finest quality, and the writing..... without the writing, none of the other matters.

Simply saying "good job" to this seems insufficient.... so...

Damn Good job.

Last edited by Guitarhacker; 04/09/14 04:43 AM.

You can find my music at:
www.herbhartley.com
Add nothing that adds nothing to the music.
You can make excuses or you can make progress but not both.

The magic you are looking for is in the work you are avoiding.
User Showcase
Apprentice
Apprentice
Nice arrangement, my compliments for finding inspiration based on an idea (loop) and then working around that limitation.

Mix holds up @ 100% power captain on this end with no damage to report!

Best wishes on new projects.

DA...

Hp Z Workstation - Akai MPK 49 - Intimate Headphone Listening http://soundcloud.com/digital-angel
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Hi Janice and Tommy,

everything has been said.
What a song! Great piano and guitar. And Janice
seems to get better from time to time. What a voice!
The overall mix is just superb.

Guenter

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Hi again Janice and Tom,

Sorry! I couldn't stay away smile

Since I first heard it this morning, your song has been on my mind. Right now, it's just on midnight here and, only seconds ago, the song finished playing for the ninth or tenth time (I haven't kept count).

A question that has been ringing around in my head is, "After it's stripped back to its bare bones (i.e. ignore performances, arranging and production), What is it about this song that makes it work so well?" There's something (or some things, even) that really appeal to me and I'm never satisfied until I can understand the 'why it is so!' (to paraphrase Prof. Julius Sumner Miller).

Firstly, the form complements the lyrics perfectly. From a lyric perspective, it's pretty much a 2-verse composition with a 2-line refrain at the end of each verse. I interpret this as a truncated variation on the AAA form that Janice and Bud are extremely familiar with from their folk/bluegrass music. Maybe that familiarity has helped brighten the feeling of competence that is an aura around every aspect of the song.

After multiple listens, I think the fact that many of the melodic phrases start after beat 1 is what really makes these lyrics tug at my heart strings. I also like the way you've mixed perfect rhymes and other rhyme types in the lyric structure.

In addition, the two characters in the song are vividly real and it's so very easy to see the singer looking at the other person and singing. Emotional truth and honesty stand tall in these lyrics. They are 100% believable. I also compliment you both on your strong verse development with verse 2 becoming just a little more philosophical and, as a consequence, gaining just the right amount of emotional weight to make the listening journey satisfying.

Lastly, repeating the back half of verse 2 as the song's third lyric section packs a great emotional punch (at least that's how I felt it). My observation is that repetition, when used wisely as in these lyrics, nearly always strengthens and amplifies meaning.

Anyway, you've both given me lots of food for thought when I sit down to write my next song. Thank you for that.

All the best,
Noel

MY SONGS...
Audiophile BIAB 2024
User Showcase
B
Apprentice
Apprentice
B
Wow!! Great Job!!
Janice's vocals are spot on perfect.
The guitar is great and I love the way you use it to build the dynamics of the tune.
In fact, the dynamics really make the song. This is a piece worthy of greater attention.

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Hi Tommy, Janice and Bud
This is just spectacular. I love everything about it. I love the guitar solo and the piano and of course Janice's vocals are, as always, outstanding

LyricLab A.I assisted chords and lyric app. Export lyrics and import directly into Band-in-a-Box 2024.
https://lyriclab.net
Play-along with songs you know and love, download SGU files
https://playiit.com/
User Showcase
tommyad Offline OP
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Herb, I was hoping to hear from you on this one. I am glad that we won your approval. You no doubt have excellent ears and a wealth of knowledge about recording, so we feel real good to get a thumbs up from you. As you well know all these different hats that we wear make this an ongoing learning experience. It's nice to know we are heading in a good direction. Thanks for the comments.

DA, Thanks for the mix power report. The loop was in the right key for Janice and seemed to be about the right tempo for what I had in mind, so that was just plain old blind luck. Rather be lucky than good. Thanks again.

Guenter, Thanks for your kind words. Yes Janice has got quite an instrument.

Noel, I don't even know what to say about your observations except this is the kind of thing we have come to expect from you. It is always an education in song structure when we read your comments. Although I find it all very interesting I must confess I never think too much about it. It's kind of how I feel about reading music, I know just enough not to hurt me. I do hope to continue to learn more from you. You certainly are a wealth of knowledge when analyzing a song. Thank you so much for coming back again and taking the time to comment. We all appreciate it greatly. Tom

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Hi, Tommy, Bud and Janice !

I fully agree with everyone else !
This is really outstanding in every
possible way ! Really don´t know
when or if I´ve heard such a perfomance
ever before ?

My sincerest gratulations for
this outstanding collaboration !:))

Cheers
Da ni

User Showcase
tommyad Offline OP
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
David, Thanks for listening and commenting. The dynamics were also the product of a well played piano loop and Janice's control on the intro and outro. Her soft low range is packed with emotion and the mix was tweaked to help bring that to life. Thanks again and welcome to the forum. i will be by to comment on your remixed song. By the way i listened to Bloomfield's Blues on your sound cloud page. Nice guitar work- he was one of my guys.

Josie, Thank you for your generous comments. I again want to applaud your activism on the Rhino song. That is so cool.

Dani, Thanks for your kind words. Bud and Janice are so easy to work with. We seem to share a common vision and we are all willing to compromise, listen to suggestions and make the necessary changes for the greater good. It has been all my pleasure to be associated with such wonderful people. Thanks again Dani, we can always count on you to take the time to listen and comment. Tom

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: Greg Johnson
WOW!!! Just great! This would be a great one to pitch to Bonnie Raitt, although her vocal couldn't be much better than Janice's. Killer stuff!
there’s miles of smiles and years of tears in what we leave behind (one of the best lines I've ever heard!!!) Take care. Greg

Thank you Greg. Your mention of myself and Bonnie Raitt in the same sentence is very kind. Isn't that a good line? It felt right when I sang it. Thanks again!!

Originally Posted By: floyd jane
Tom and Janice...

This is STUNNING. BEAUTIFUL. GORGEOUS. DELICIOUS!!!

What an incredible production. The opening piano sounds like you've known it all your life. It grabs you immediately and never lets you go.

The guitar sings. Like the best of Jeff Beck. Tom - you seem to have blossomed before our eyes into some Guitar Superhero.

Gotta know how you processed the drums. Every piece of the kit sounds PERFECT! Big, full. The organ - perfect. There's that guitar again - gorgeous... And the pianos - details please - 2 RTs, a midi, the loop - what's where?

and... Janice... OH! MY! GOD! - a vocal that careers are made from. I couldn't hear a single word - all I could hear was THE VOICE - SINGING. In a league with Linda Ronstadt. Honestly. I do not say that lightly. Pure Joy To Listen To. WOW. Pure emotion. Like it came from your very soul.

A beautiful song - lyric and melody. The sound of an instant classic.

Stunning.

floyd

Floyd, you are just too kind. You know how much I admire your writing and your voice. I have learned so much lately from listening to your phrasing. It is and will continue to be an inspiration. Thank you!!

Janice

Originally Posted By: Guitarhacker
That song is so good in so many ways.

Yup.. loved the clarity and fatness of the mix, the chord progressions and the unexpected chords, the drums are my kind of drums, the guitar tone is to die for, sweet and tasteful picking, amazing B3 in the background just rocks this to a different level, the piano is classic, the vocals are spot on and of the finest quality, and the writing..... without the writing, none of the other matters.

Simply saying "good job" to this seems insufficient.... so...

Damn Good job.

Thank you Herb very much. When Tom sent me the first draft I knew he had created something special. I tried very hard to do it justice.

Janice

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: boehm
Hi Janice and Tommy,

everything has been said.
What a song! Great piano and guitar. And Janice
seems to get better from time to time. What a voice!
The overall mix is just superb.

Guenter

Thank you so much Guenter!

Originally Posted By: Blues1952
Wow!! Great Job!!
Janice's vocals are spot on perfect.
The guitar is great and I love the way you use it to build the dynamics of the tune.
In fact, the dynamics really make the song. This is a piece worthy of greater attention.

I appreciate that! And, yes, dynamics are everything in music for me.

Originally Posted By: JosieC
Hi Tommy, Janice and Bud
This is just spectacular. I love everything about it. I love the guitar solo and the piano and of course Janice's vocals are, as always, outstanding

Thanks! This one was a lot of fun and Tom did a great job on it.

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Beautiful song. Excellent playing and awesome singing.

Scott Collingwood
https://soundcloud.com/scottt709
https://soundcloud.com/spiritlevel-ca
https://www.youtube.com/@SpiritLevel-ge3hm/
User Showcase
tommyad Offline OP
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Scott, thanks for checking this one out. We appreciate your kind words. Tom

User Showcase
Expert
Expert
Tom & Janice,

You two have just raised the bar for all of us! Like Herb said, this is good in so many ways. I pretty much like everything about it. Janice, your vocals are as good as I have heard from you on this, and Tom, your guitar is impeccable. The arrangement really works from start to finish.

Excellent!

Steve

Steve Young
Music
"In order to compose, all you need to do is remember a tune that nobody else has thought of." - Robert Schumann
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Video: Volume Automation in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created a video to help you learn more about the Volume Automation options in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows.

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Volume Automation

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#volume-automation

Video: Audio Input Monitoring with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created this short video to explain Audio Input Monitoring within Band-in-a-Box® 2024, and included some tips & troubleshooting details too!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Audio Input Monitoring

3:17: Tips
5:10: Troubleshooting

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#audio-input-monitoring

Video: Enhanced Melodists in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®!

We've enhanced the Melodists feature included in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows!

Access the Melodist feature by pressing F7 in the program to open the new MultiPicker Library and locate the [Melodist] tab.

You can now generate a melody on any track in the program - very handy! Plus, you select how much of the melody you want generated - specify a range, or apply it to the whole track.

See the Melodist in action with our video, Band-in-a-Box® 2024: The Melodist Window.

Learn even more about the enhancements to the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024upgrade/chapter3.htm#enhanced-melodist

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Specifically for Reaper®

New with the DAW Plugin Version 6.0, released with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows: the Reaper® Panel!

This new panel offers built-in specific support for the Reaper® DAW API allowing direct transfer of Band-in-a-Box® files to/from Reaper® tracks!

When you run the Plugin from Reaper®, there is a panel to set the following options:
-BB Track(s) to send: This allows you to select the Plugin tracks that will be sent Reaper.
-Destination Reaper Track: This lets you select the destination Reaper track to receive media content from the Plugin.
-At Bar: You can select a bar in Reaper where the Plugin tracks should be placed.
-Start Below Selected Track: This allows you to place the Plugin tracks below the destination Reaper track.
-Overwrite Reaper Track: You can overwrite previous content on the destination Reaper track.
-Move to Project Folder: With this option, you can move the Plugin tracks to the Reaper project folder.
-Send Reaper Instructions Enable this option to send the Reaper Instructions instead of rendering audio tracks, which is faster.
-Render Audio & Instructions: Enable this option to generate audio files and the Reaper instructions.
-Send Tracks After Generating: This allows the Plugin to automatically send tracks to Reaper after generating.
-Send Audio for MIDI Track: Enable this option to send rendered audio for MIDI tracks.
-Send RealCharts with Audio: If this option is enabled, Enable this option to send RealCharts with audio.

Check out this video highlighting the new Reaper®-specific features: Band-in-a-Box® DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Specifically for Reaper®

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Video

The new Band-in-a-Box VST DAW Plugin Verion 6 adds over 20 new features!

Watch the new features video to learn more: Video: Band-in-a-Box® 2024 - DAW Plugin Version 6 New Features

We also list these new features at www.pgmusic.com/bbwin.plugin.htm.

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,391
Posts732,461
Members38,441
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
MIX-I-MUSIX 2.0, Ernest J, ingridguerci94, Izzy, BenChaz
38,441 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 195