Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
#247201 04/13/14 05:56 PM
RealBand
S
Expert
OP Offline
Expert
S
At the end of the day you are pretty limited to what you can do with Stereo RealDrums, there should be option to generate intros, different endings and fills etc.. there is no button to "Cut Loose" and generate a great drum solo and not be restricted as if playing in a church.
I think soon you will see Super RealDrums that will be Multichannel, do all of this and have a lot more variation to choose from.
They will still of course have Stereo RealDrums for those who don't need or want to venture any further, just as you still have a choice of Midi Drums over RealDrums.

With just this you are limited, don't get me wrong they are great but not the end of the story.

If they had multichannel flac ogg wma that would be great because those how just want stereo drums can leave them as they are and those who want more control can split them to multitrack as you can do in Audacity Cubase Reaper etc..
8_channel_Drums_stems_8channel.wma
8_channel_Drums_stems_8channel.ogg
8_channel_Drums_stems_8channel.flac

8chDrumsWMA.zip
8chDrumsOGG.zip
8chDrumsFLAC.zip

RealBand
S
Expert
OP Offline
Expert
S
I was just watching "History of The Eagles" Glenn was saying when they recorded in England with Glyn Johns they had no control over the recording or producing. In the States they found Bill Szymczyk and the first thing they asked him was "do you mind if we put a mic on each drum so we have more control over the mix" Bill replied "sure no problem"

RealBand
Veteran
Veteran
"I think soon you will see Super RealDrums that will be Multichannel, do all of this and have a lot more variation to choose from."

+1

From your mouth to PG's ear!

RealBand
Veteran
Veteran
This sounds great but consider this, file size, file size and file size. How many tracks are we talking here? 6? 8? 10? That means you're tripling or what octupling the file size? And, remember putting a mic on each drum for more control is fine but it's still not separate discrete drum parts, there will be tons of bleed through from the other drums. "Some" control does not mean perfect, clean control over each part of the kit.

Bob

Biab/RB latest build, Win 11 Pro, Ryzen 5 5600 G, 512 Gig SSD, 16 Gigs Ram, Steinberg UR22 MkII, Roland Sonic Cell, Kurzweil PC3, Hammond SK1, Korg PA3XPro, Garritan JABB, Hypercanvas, Sampletank 3, more.
RealBand
S
Expert
OP Offline
Expert
S
Originally Posted By: jazzmammal
This sounds great but consider this, file size, file size and file size. How many tracks are we talking here? 6? 8? 10? That means you're tripling or what octupling the file size? And, remember putting a mic on each drum for more control is fine but it's still not separate discrete drum parts, there will be tons of bleed through from the other drums. "Some" control does not mean perfect, clean control over each part of the kit.

Bob

Did you measure the file size of the 8Chwma/ogg/flac compared to a stereo file.

No one records drums straight to stereo that's why Don wanted a mic on each drum: Don on drum mics
...there will be tons of bleed through from the other drums. "Some" control does not mean perfect, clean control over each part of the kit.

If you have some some multi track drums you have recorded and you have problems with bleed and mixing them just use Slate or Drumagog that's what most of the studios use around here. You don't have to give up and use PG Stereo Drums.

Hey bob come up with some ides Man, don't knock things all the time, by all means suggest an alternative idea unless you are completely happy with the PG Stereo drums because you had a few problems when you recorded drums.

I think a good way would be.....

RealBand
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: solidrock
Hey bob come up with some ides Man, don't knock things all the time, by all means suggest an alternative idea unless you are completely happy with the PG Stereo drums because you had a few problems when you recorded drums.

Sigh. Here's Bob's mantra one...more....time:

"Audio is not midi, midi is not audio. Ommmmmm"

Slate and Drumagog are drum samplers triggered via midi. In addition Drumagog is sort of like Melodyne in that you can convert an audio drum hit to midi and then change the part to whatever you want. All that is very cool, I happen to like Jamstix but those are midi not Real Drums. RD's are recorded AUDIO tracks NOT MIDI.

This is Real Drums:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ErOej1PJeW8

This is midi drums:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lWOte-BbEHA

When I talk about Real Drums the first video is what I'm talking about. Put all the mic's you want on that drum kit and let Neil wail away, you won't get a lot of separation. You can't go back in and change anything except for mixdown EQ and compressors type stuff. You're not changing the hi hat to a ride or changing the kick to something else. That is not a midi kit.

Got it now?

Bob

Biab/RB latest build, Win 11 Pro, Ryzen 5 5600 G, 512 Gig SSD, 16 Gigs Ram, Steinberg UR22 MkII, Roland Sonic Cell, Kurzweil PC3, Hammond SK1, Korg PA3XPro, Garritan JABB, Hypercanvas, Sampletank 3, more.
RealBand
S
Expert
OP Offline
Expert
S
Hey Bob if you have 8 tracks of recorded REALDRUMS what do you do with it ?
You have to mix it down to stereo or SURROUND, OK ?
When you do this do you get someone else to mix it down for you to stereo ?
That is why we have multi track recording DAWs
When we records drums we have separate mics for a reason OK.
Are you saying that no one that has Realband is allowed to have a multi track drum recording to mixdown how they so choose ?

All you seem to do in all your post is PONTIFICATE about:
AUDIO, MIDI, AUDIO, MIDI, AUDIO, MIDI..........
preaching as though you are setting the poor lost and confused souls straight with some Mantra.

Maybe in childhood you were hit for using audio instead of midi, who knows. I know another Bob who was booed off of stage for playing an electric guitar and not an acoustic ! and in my RealTracks I have Electric guitars !

Again Bob PLEASE, where are your new ides to help improve BB/RB Man ????

Do you just want to go on Preaching some worn out Mantra ? a Mantra should lift you up into a heighten state of awareness away from your ego, how's that workin' for ya ?

RealBand
Veteran
Veteran
I think Real Drums are OK, but they would be much better as separate audio tracks. Frankly, I don't think they are very well recorded as they are now. Mic bleed is unavoidable, but with some creative sidechain compression and a competent RE, is can be drastically reduced. File size is definitely a consideration, but I think that the increase in file size would be well worth it. Especially if you're doing Rock or Country.

To actually have a kick I could EQ/compress, a snare with some variation (rimshots, etc.) a nice fat ride cymbal and a crash with some natural decay would be wonderful.

Regards,

Bob

90 dB #254317 06/21/14 05:44 AM
RealBand
Veteran
Veteran
Actually you do have them for most realdrum styles.
You just have to work for them.

I needed a natural decay on a crash once, so I went looking for it.
At the end of the realdrum wma file was a single hit of each drum/cymbal being used!

So I had my natural decay cymbal; I just had to go get it and implement it.
The question is where do you draw the line?
Solidrock wants separate drum tracks (I'd like that too). I'd also like a sample player that loaded those individual hits in so I could add what I want at any given time using the exact same drum sound .. so many possibilities.

Make your sound your own!
.. I do not work here, but the benefits are still awesome
RealBand
Veteran
Veteran

Jammin with my JS-3.6 and EZD2.01 upgrades this mornin and then I find these links. Definitely have my drumin fix for the day. Thanks for sharing.

Dan, BIAB2024, SoundCloud Win11, i7(12thGen), 32GB, 1TB SSD(M.2 NVMe SSD), 2TB Libraries, 1 TB(WD-Black), 2TB SSD(M.2 NVMe SSD)Data, Motu Audio Express, Keystation 61, SL88 Studio, Reaper

DrDan #254326 06/21/14 07:07 AM
RealBand
Veteran
Veteran
Every thing that is being requested here can be done with MIDI drums. I have Stephen Slate's SSD-4 Pro and it is fantastic. There is other MIDI drum sound sources that are excellent also.

BiaB's MIDI drum parts aren't too shabby either plus there are many free and purchased MIDI drum loops/parts that you can mix and match. You can put any drum part where you want it plus it is much easier to manipulate the parts and change tempo in MIDI than in audio, at least it is for me.

Just my thoughts.

Me, it's not about how many times you fail, it's about how many times you get back up.
Cop, that's not how field sobriety tests work.

64 bit Win 10 Pro, the latest BiaB/RB, Roland Octa-Capture audio interface, a ton of software/hardware
RealBand
Veteran
Veteran
Never one to avoid the fray....

I prefer the simple path.... whatever works best for me.

And since I'm not a drummer, and don't have the room to set up a real kit nor the time to learn drummer things and skills.....

I use software to git er done. The more the software can do for me as far as the heavy lifting is concerned, the happier I am.

I don't recall having people comment in a negative manner about the drums I use, so they must be working and sounding OK.

You can find my music at:
www.herbhartley.com
Add nothing that adds nothing to the music.
You can make excuses or you can make progress but not both.

The magic you are looking for is in the work you are avoiding.
RealBand
Veteran
Veteran
"At the end of the realdrum wma file was a single hit of each drum/cymbal being used!"

Rharv,

Assuming that these are present on the Audiophile WAVs, how did you navigate to the "end" of the file?

Thanks,

Bob

RealBand
Veteran
Veteran
Open it in Media Player .. or open the WMA/WAV file in RB!!

RealBand
Veteran
Veteran
Outstanding!

Thanks.

RealBand
Veteran
Veteran
It was nice of PGMusic to include them for geeks like us.

I admit to taking these single hits, cropping/cleaning them, and assigning them to a sample player .. and then augmenting realdrum tracks with them.
It's yet another hidden gem in the system.

/I ain't giving away all my secrets. I probably forgot half of them anyway.

90 dB #254374 06/21/14 12:53 PM
RealBand
S
Expert
OP Offline
Expert
S
It wold be great they had all individual hits when they were recorded you could use them in a sampler to create custom parts in the realdrums track fills intros endings etc.. but they are combined:

Shot,0,40,-1,259,1,110 ;kick
Shot,0,40,259,189,3,100 ;snare
Shot,1,40,449,581,1,80 ;crash and kick 1
Shot,1,40,259,189,3,100 ;snare
Shot,1,42,71,580,2,80 ;crash and Snare
Shot,1,43,172,392,7,90 ;crash2 and kick

RealBand
Veteran
Veteran
"I ain't giving away all my secrets. I probably forgot half of them anyway."

That's OK. I'll forget about the whole thing by tomorrow. grin

90 dB #254388 06/21/14 03:15 PM
RealBand
Veteran
Veteran
Forget what?

RealBand
Veteran
Veteran
Solidrock, what we have here is a failure to communicate. This is an internet forum, if we were sitting down in front of a DAW with a couple of beers we would figure this out in like a minute.

Beer is the great equalizer, you know? A couple of beers and we'd be jammin baby, and who cares about this midi/audio crap.

Midi is midi. You already have that with any midi sampler you can name. Why do you care about having single hits from a RD file when there's gazillions of them all over the internet not to mention all the killer kits in all the different drum software like Jamstix, EZDrums, Steve Slate, all those. That's what midi drums are, single drum hits. If anything the very clean individual hits in those drum programs are cleaner than trying to extract single hits from a RD file.

Think of it this way. You're a southern boy I'm sure you like the Allmans. Play Elizabeth Reed and think wow I would love to have that kick from that recording. Even if you had access to that drum track from the original record, how would you extract the kick?

Please think about that a minute. You're sitting in Greg's studio at his home, he has his masters and he loads up just the drum track from ER. How would you extract just the kick? Or the high hat, or the snare. That's what a RD track is, you're asking to just extract a hit from an already recorded full drum track. Why bother with that when there's tons of hits from every drum kit ever used in the history of recorded music as a midi file.

RD's are audio, not midi.

Now the question is ok, why not record the full RD kit using 8 tracks? Great how do you get acceptable separation so you can use the individual hits that are clean without cymbal or snare or kick bleed through in the mic? Yes, you can get it sort of clean but not clean enough to be able to use that snare hit for example in an entirely different song. There's going to bleed through so the rhythm and style being used in that track is going to be in your new song and you don't want to hear that, all you wanted was just that snare hit. I'll admit while I'm fairly experienced with this stuff, I'm certainly not a pro recording engineer but I seriously doubt you can record a full drum performance like that Neil Peart solo I posted and after the fact be able to extract individual parts without still hearing his solo in the background.

This is why I posted my mantra you seem to take exception to.

I'm not saying Real Drums are the be all end all. Hell no, that's why I have Jamstix plus different sequencers plus Melodyne plus several high end keyboards that can all create pretty solid midi drum tracks. I mix and match midi and audio parts all the time.

Midi is not audio. You can do anything you want with midi but not with audio. Audio is limited, once you've recorded something as audio what are your options to change it without turning yourself into a real wizard?

I'm dyin here, it's hot and humid on the beach today. Time for another beer, want one?

Peace bro,

Bob

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Video: Volume Automation in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created a video to help you learn more about the Volume Automation options in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows.

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Volume Automation

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#volume-automation

Video: Audio Input Monitoring with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created this short video to explain Audio Input Monitoring within Band-in-a-Box® 2024, and included some tips & troubleshooting details too!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Audio Input Monitoring

3:17: Tips
5:10: Troubleshooting

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#audio-input-monitoring

Video: Enhanced Melodists in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®!

We've enhanced the Melodists feature included in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows!

Access the Melodist feature by pressing F7 in the program to open the new MultiPicker Library and locate the [Melodist] tab.

You can now generate a melody on any track in the program - very handy! Plus, you select how much of the melody you want generated - specify a range, or apply it to the whole track.

See the Melodist in action with our video, Band-in-a-Box® 2024: The Melodist Window.

Learn even more about the enhancements to the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024upgrade/chapter3.htm#enhanced-melodist

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Specifically for Reaper®

New with the DAW Plugin Version 6.0, released with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows: the Reaper® Panel!

This new panel offers built-in specific support for the Reaper® DAW API allowing direct transfer of Band-in-a-Box® files to/from Reaper® tracks!

When you run the Plugin from Reaper®, there is a panel to set the following options:
-BB Track(s) to send: This allows you to select the Plugin tracks that will be sent Reaper.
-Destination Reaper Track: This lets you select the destination Reaper track to receive media content from the Plugin.
-At Bar: You can select a bar in Reaper where the Plugin tracks should be placed.
-Start Below Selected Track: This allows you to place the Plugin tracks below the destination Reaper track.
-Overwrite Reaper Track: You can overwrite previous content on the destination Reaper track.
-Move to Project Folder: With this option, you can move the Plugin tracks to the Reaper project folder.
-Send Reaper Instructions Enable this option to send the Reaper Instructions instead of rendering audio tracks, which is faster.
-Render Audio & Instructions: Enable this option to generate audio files and the Reaper instructions.
-Send Tracks After Generating: This allows the Plugin to automatically send tracks to Reaper after generating.
-Send Audio for MIDI Track: Enable this option to send rendered audio for MIDI tracks.
-Send RealCharts with Audio: If this option is enabled, Enable this option to send RealCharts with audio.

Check out this video highlighting the new Reaper®-specific features: Band-in-a-Box® DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Specifically for Reaper®

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Video

The new Band-in-a-Box VST DAW Plugin Verion 6 adds over 20 new features!

Watch the new features video to learn more: Video: Band-in-a-Box® 2024 - DAW Plugin Version 6 New Features

We also list these new features at www.pgmusic.com/bbwin.plugin.htm.

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,389
Posts732,447
Members38,441
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
Ernest J, ingridguerci94, Izzy, BenChaz, Csofi
38,440 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 195