Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
You need to be logged in to post
Options
Index
#248152 - 04/25/14 10:34 PM [User Showcase] Re: New song post: WHAT MIGHT BE [Re: tommyad]
Loc: Davis, CA
Greg Johnson Offline
Veteran

Tom, thanks for the nice words. You're right about the breathiness, and the ill-fitting strum. I actually have a master where I edited the breath sounds down but couldn't locate it. I'm really digging what you've been doing lately. Really sweet! In fact, you inspired me to write my first blues song which I hope to post a first version of in the next month or so. Your music turned me on to the blues sound which I have generally been lukewarm on. Thanks for the kind words and inspiration!! Take care. Greg

#248153 - 04/25/14 10:40 PM [User Showcase] Re: New song post: WHAT MIGHT BE [Re: floyd jane]
Greg Johnson Offline
Veteran

Floyd, thanks so much for the nice words. Your technical analysis, as usual, is spot on. There were a few production glitches. Really enjoying what you are doing. This is a great forum of nice, talented, and interesting people--a real joy to participate it. Enjoy the weekend!! Take care. Greg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NqApYeUUv6g Check this out. Any Jimmy Webb fan will love it (I'm listening to it as I type).

Another classic from the same LP (also Webb-what a genius!!)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZWi6Nuspgts

#248223 - 04/27/14 09:08 AM [User Showcase] Re: New song post: WHAT MIGHT BE [Re: Greg Johnson]
olemon Offline
Journeyman

Beautiful, well-crafted song, sweet performance and the mix is perfect.
https://soundcloud.com/scott-h-olson

#248226 - 04/27/14 09:33 AM [User Showcase] Re: New song post: WHAT MIGHT BE [Re: Greg Johnson]
Loc: Florida
floyd jane Offline
Veteran

Loc: Florida
Originally Posted By: Greg Johnson
Floyd, thanks so much for the nice words. Your technical analysis, as usual, is spot on. There were a few production glitches. Really enjoying what you are doing. This is a great forum of nice, talented, and interesting people--a real joy to participate it. Enjoy the weekend!! Take care. Greg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NqApYeUUv6g Check this out. Any Jimmy Webb fan will love it (I'm listening to it as I type).

Another classic from the same LP (also Webb-what a genius!!)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZWi6Nuspgts

Greg - THANKS! for the links - truly gorgeous songs - penned by the best - sung by the best - "Shattered" really knocked me out!

#250312 - 05/19/14 08:06 AM [User Showcase] Re: New song post: WHAT MIGHT BE [Re: Greg Johnson]
Loc: The Netherlands
RnAM Offline
Veteran

Loc: The Netherlands
Hello Greg,
We were curious about the songs you create and we looked for some of them. We like "What might be". Very nice vocal and beautiful song.
Except from bass and guitar, did you use any additional real tracks?
Regards,
Rob and Anne-Marie

RnAM Homepage (completely restyled)
YouTube Channel

#250321 - 05/19/14 08:40 AM [User Showcase] Re: New song post: WHAT MIGHT BE [Re: Greg Johnson]
Kemmrich Offline
Expert

Yea, this is a really well crafted tune and mighty fine singing. I think some of the technical advice given is pretty good -- use it on the next CD (ha, ha). If this CD is done, just keep moving forward.

Very talented and good use of the real tracks and real drums. I am a big fan of always adding in one or two live" instruments to help the RT's out. Consider that for the next CD.

#251229 - 05/26/14 12:47 PM [User Showcase] Re: New song post: WHAT MIGHT BE [Re: olemon]
Greg Johnson Offline
Veteran

Thanks for the kind words. Much appreciated! I continue to enjoy the work your posting. Take care. Greg

#251230 - 05/26/14 12:50 PM [User Showcase] Re: New song post: WHAT MIGHT BE [Re: RnAM]
Greg Johnson Offline
Veteran

Hello Rob and Anne Marie. Thanks for the nice words about this song. I used a Pro Tools and Sample Tank to put together the strings (Cello and 2 violas if I remember correctly). Really enjoying the songs you guys have been posting. Keep up the great work! Take care. Greg

#251231 - 05/26/14 12:53 PM [User Showcase] Re: New song post: WHAT MIGHT BE [Re: Kemmrich]
Greg Johnson Offline
Veteran

Thanks for the positive words and the input. Hopefully I'm still improving in terms of making the tracks sound natural. I am a poor musician so I think my "live" tracks would destroy the sound. I do have live bass (by a good friend) on 4 tracks I've done and a live guitar solo (my son's guitar teacher) on 1 track as well. I do think it works great to have them mixed together as Tom Adams and others have done. Take care. Greg

#251255 - 05/26/14 04:34 PM [User Showcase] Re: New song post: WHAT MIGHT BE [Re: Greg Johnson]
Loc: Helsinki, Finland
dani48 Offline
Veteran

Loc: Helsinki, Finland
Hi, Greg !:))

They have already said it all
but still I will add that I
do love this tune and the way
you sing and perform it !:))
I think it is my favorite Greg
tune now !:))

Cheers
Dani

#251278 - 05/26/14 06:49 PM [User Showcase] Re: New song post: WHAT MIGHT BE [Re: dani48]
Greg Johnson Offline
Veteran

Thanks Dani. I very much appreciate the support! I hope to be posting some new songs pretty soon-have several in progress but I'm so busy with work and the kids that it's slow going. Thanks again for your kind comment. Take care. Greg

#251320 - 05/27/14 08:33 AM [User Showcase] Re: New song post: WHAT MIGHT BE [Re: Greg Johnson]
olemon Offline
Journeyman

Listening to new songs this morning...and this one again.

It's still a beautiful melody:)

Oh, whatever you're doing to get that sound...keep doing it!

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

PG Music News
Band-in-a-Box® 2020 for Windows & VST DAW Plugin Update Available!

Attention Band-in-a-Box® 2020 for Windows users - a new FREE patch update (build 315) and VST DAW Plugin Update (2.1.5) are available! Review details & download here.

Summary of changes for build 704 (Dec 13, 2019):
Added: [Reset to Zero] button added to Import Audio File dialog.
Added: Many new styles and demos added to RT Sets 329-352, and the bonus PAK.
Added: Many styles and demos added to MIDI SuperTracks Sets 30 and 31.
Added: Several "Multi" RealTracks added for vocals and horns (RealTracks Picker).
Fixed: Audio artifacts at bar lines when using Equalize Tempos feature.
Fixed: Audio harmonized voices transcribed to Soloist track should be on channels 1-4 instead of channel 2.
Fixed: Band-in-a-Box may become unresponsive after rendering to audio.
Fixed: Band-in-a-Box might freeze during bootup after upgrading Windows 7 to Windows 10.
Fixed: Band-in-a-Box would crash if selecting a Hi-Q patch on the same track more than once.
Fixed: DAW Plugin - Rebuild and Fix buttons in RealTracks picker now called ReBuild and it justs rebuilds the RealTracks list.
Fixed: Drag & drop render to audio with region of bars selected causes corrupt .wav file if not 16bit, 44.1kHz.
Fixed: Dropping a .musicxml or .mxl file onto Band-in-a-Box was not accepted.
Fixed: FakeSheet button in the Custom tool panel was not displaying the check mark.
Fixed: File > Open Special > Open MusicXML File... was filtering out compressed .mxl files.
Fixed: Medleys and Thickened RealTracks were not playing in proper stereo.
Fixed: Rendering to audio with a region of bars selected causes the Choose Range dialog to appear.
Fixed: Rendering to audio with a region of bars selected renders the wrong region.
Fixed: Rendering was a bit slower than necessary when exporting 16 bit, 44.1kHz.
Fixed: Some RealStyles were being categorized as all-MIDI styles.
Fixed: The Audio Edit window did not always ensure that the current playback position was scrolled into view.
Fixed: The Sinsy Vocal Synth would fail if using the 64 bit version.
Fixed: Various audio formats would fail to import.
Fixed: When dropping an audio file onto the Audio Edit window, the "Snap" setting was ignored.
Fixed: When using the Sinsy Vocal Synth feature, the Import Audio File dialog is not needed.
Improved: Speed of some operations when searching and filtering for styles.
Improved: Thickened is displayed in RealTracks names in RealTracks picker (and other RealTracks picker dialogs), and on mixer for RealTracks names. In RealTracks picker, searching for word "thickened" will show only thickened RealTracks.
Updated: PDF Manuals and help (routine updates).

DAW Plugin 2.1.5:
Added: context menu option in style page to use existing RT as MR
Added: undo/redo functionality (chordsheet only)
Fixed: Generate Custom (This Page[]) not working
Fixed: Crash when opening saved plugin with part marker on bar 2 and
none on bar 1
Fixed: A,B does not get entered into chord sheet
Fixed: Chords being displayed in Roman Numeral without user setting
Fixed: Plugin getting stuck while connecting to bbw4

Xtra Styles PAK 8 for Band-in-a-Box® - 160+ New RealStyles!

Xtra Styles PAK 8 is here, with 164 new RealStyles! We have new volumes for Country, Jazz, Rock-Pop, and Celtic! These new styles include fretless bass indie rock, stormy electric piano blues, an outer-space rock waltz, Hawaiian crooner jazz pop, a rumba flamenca big band, several simplified jazz practice styles, a bowed-bass 12/8 jazz ballad, dreamy fingerstyle guitar country, an atmospheric pedal-steel soundtrack, chicken pickin' western, Irish folk rock, a romantic Celtic air ballad, many new Celtic jigs and reels, and much, much more! We've also included two new MultiStyles that use up to eight substyles each.

The new Country Volume 8, Jazz Volume 8, Rock-Pop Volume 8, and Celtic Volume 1 are just $15 each. Or, get the All Xtra Styles PAK 8 (with all 4 volumes) for only $29 (reg. $49) during our December special.

Want all the Xtra Syles PAKs, with over 1,000 RealStyles? The All Xtra Styles PAK 1-8 Bundle is what you're looking for! This bundle includes all of our Xtra Styles for the special price of $189 (reg. $329), but only until December 31, 2019.

Learn more, listen to demos, or purchase here. (Mac users: click here.)

Note: Xtra Styles PAK 8 requires the Band-in-a-Box® 2019 or higher UltraPAK, UltraPAK+, or Audiophile Edition.

Video - Explore the Band-in-a-Box® 2020 MultiRiffs Feature

MultiRiffs is a popular feature that has previously been available in RealBand and the Band-in-a-Box® DAW Plugin. With the release of Band-in-a-Box® 2020, it's now available in Band-in-a-Box® too! This feature allows you to quickly generate 7 variations of riffs from the same RealTracks for either a portion of the song or the whole song.

Tobin has made a great video explaining using the MultiRiffs feature within Band-in-a-Box® 2020 for Windows - check it out here.

Read more about this feature here.

Video - Band-in-a-Box® 2020 for Windows New Features

Learn all about the new features in Band-in-a-Box® 2020 for Windows - our New Features Video is ready! Watch it here.

Read all about the new features:
New features website
Band-in-a-Box® 2020 Upgrade Manual

Or read our "49 of Your Problems Solved!" page, here, which lists 49 requests fulfilled in Band-in-a-Box® 2020 for Windows.

Don't forget... We're having a SALE on Band-in-a-Box® 2020 Upgrade purchases until December 31, 2019 - you can save up to 50% when you purchase your Band-in-a-Box® 2020 for Windows Upgrade!

We've packed our Free Bonus PAK & 49-PAK with some amazing Add-ons! The Free Bonus PAK is automatically included with most Band-in-a-Box® for Windows 2020 packages, but for more even more Add-ons (including 40 Unreleased RealTracks) upgrade it to the 2020 49-PAK for only $49. You can see the full lists of items in each package, and listen to demos here.

Check out our Band-in-a-Box® packages page for all the purchase options available. If you need any help deciding which package is the best option for you, just let us know. We are here to help!

49 of Your Problems Solved with Band-in-a-Box® 2020 for Windows!

With Band-in-a-Box® 2020 for Windows, there are 50+ new features, 202 RealTracks, and more!

We get ideas for the new features and new RealTracks from program users- there are several sources: our Wishlist and general forum, support phone calls, trade shows, etc. In most cases, customers are not describing a new feature – they are describing a problem they have that they would like to have solved.

This is a list of our features and additions in Band-in-a-Box® 2020, presented from a unique perspective. It is from this customer list of "problems they would like solved." These are not exact quotes, they are paraphrased from our discussions with our customers. They explain what problems and requests they discussed with us, that resulted in the various new features and RealTracks. Hopefully this answers the question "why did you add this feature/content?"

So, without further ado, here are the 49 requests/problems that we (hopefully) have solved with the release of Band-in-a-Box® 2020: click here to review.

50 New RealStyles included in Loops-with-Style PAK 1 for Band-in-a-Box®!

Loops-with-Style PAK 1 is a new library of 100 original loops that we've created using RealTracks/RealDrums source material, and it includes 50 new RealStyles!

Click here to listen to audio demos of the new RealStyles included with Loops-with-Style PAK 1 for Band-in-a-Box®.

ON SALE UNTIL DECEMBER 31st! Save over 30% when you purchase during our special - add Loops-with-Style PAK 1 to your collection today for just $19! Click here for more information.

New! Loops-with-Style PAK 1 for Band-in-a-Box®!

A brand-new Band-in-a-Box Add-on is HERE!

Loops-with-Style PAK 1 for Band-in-a-Box® 2019 (and higher) expands your loops collection with 100 new loops! Click here to watch our video demonstration.

We've taken the RealDrums and RealTracks source audio and remixed, remastered, and combined it to create these original loops. All of your favorite genres are covered, like jazz, funk, rock, pop, electronic, hip-hop, and more! To show them in action, we've created 50 new RealStyles that each include two of the loops. Plus, if you use the loops in Band-in-a-Box, we've included intelligent versions of the loops that automatically switch at A and B part markers. Each loop has a matching sister loop that works perfectly for another substyle!

ON SALE UNTIL DECEMBER 31st!

Save over 30% when you purchase during our special - add Loops-with-Style PAK 1 to your collection today for just $19!

Click here for more information. Mac user? This new Add-on works for you too! Click here for Mac.

Forum Stats
30606 Members
63 Forums
61269 Topics
517302 Posts

Max Online: 2434 @ 11/14/17 12:37 AM
Newest Members
ottobro, Voices, WillieOsgood, AplusM, Corbot

30605 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
VideoTrack 300
Matt Finley 229