Loc: New Zealand

https://soundcloud.com/tuigorge/bush-and-the-boat

RD - Nashville classic waltz
- Country waltz
Bass - RT 2303 Buzz bass
- Sampletank Fat bass synth
Guitar - RT 983
Bottleblow - Sampletank

Late 1940's. Just after the war. We lived in an inland timber town and occasionally headed to the coast for the weekend with relatives. Borrowed Grandpa Tommy's line-fish boat, dragged for mussels, burleyed for snapper. This is how I remember one trip.

Hope you enjoy a glimpse of my childhood. Any comments welcome.

The Bush And The Boat

We escape from the pine trees and coast down the Kaimais
Scull to the workboat and let her slip free
Follow old estuary curves to safe harbour
Mince up some mussels make the fish feed
The cockpit fills quickly with fat golden snapper
I'm sunburnt and satisfied my hands are on fire

The bush and the boat give us wild pork and seafood
The bush and the boat let us live like kings
I like what I do and I do what I like
Whinging and whining just won't fix a thing
That whining just won't fix a thing

We head back at sunset to Tommy's calm mooring
Sell to Nug's fish shop and buy crates of beer
A blaze on the sandspit with smoked fish and mussels
Out comes the squeezebox and loads of good cheer
As hoarse as the night we crash in our castles
Then work in the bush in the morning

The lifestyle was different in the old days
One people one country one flag
One set of values, one law for all
We were proud to call this land our home

Whining just won't fix a thing

#248354 - 04/28/14 07:15 PM [User Showcase] Re: The Bush and the Boat [Re: RichMac]
Loc: Edmonton, Ab, Canada
Scott C Offline
Veteran

Loc: Edmonton, Ab, Canada
Awesome song. Loved the back track. Lyrics were very well done. Great story in the lyrics. Well done

#248405 - 04/29/14 10:38 AM [User Showcase] Re: The Bush and the Boat [Re: RichMac]
Loc: Karlsruhe, Germany
boehm Offline
Veteran

Loc: Karlsruhe, Germany
Hi Richard,

nice lyrics and a very unconventional backing.
Thanks for the glimpse of your childhood.

Guenter

#248435 - 04/29/14 06:50 PM [User Showcase] Re: The Bush and the Boat [Re: Scott C]
RichMac Offline
Expert

Thanks for listening Scott. Came across the buzz bass and wanted to include it so made the song very rhythmic. Cheers.

Edited by RichMac (04/29/14 06:51 PM)

#248436 - 04/29/14 06:51 PM [User Showcase] Re: The Bush and the Boat [Re: boehm]
RichMac Offline
Expert

Thanks Guenter. Those were the days! Cheers.

#248445 - 04/29/14 11:08 PM [User Showcase] Re: The Bush and the Boat [Re: RichMac]
Loc: Kentucky
PgFantastic Offline
Veteran

Loc: Kentucky
Nice song, to my ear the buzz bass does not fit the style. I think a standard finger bass would fit better; Could be just me. Still an excellent piece of music. Thanks for sharing!

Psalm 57:7 My heart, O God, is steadfast, my heart is steadfast; I will sing and make music.

#248459 - 04/30/14 02:13 AM [User Showcase] Re: The Bush and the Boat [Re: RichMac]
RichMac Offline
Expert

Thanks for your opinion Robert. Will keep on exploring! Cheers.

#248485 - 04/30/14 09:30 AM [User Showcase] Re: The Bush and the Boat [Re: RichMac]
Loc: Florida
floyd jane Offline
Veteran

Richard,

I am very much enjoying your journey!

Super lyric on this. A great "glimpse" of the past.

I found the bass very distracting - and had to turn the track down considerably listening in phones. (personal choice.. I would like to hear this with an acoustic bass) - but I love that you are experimenting...

And...

I want to know what is meant by "...burleyed for snapper"
We fish for Red Snapper in the Gulf (of Mexico) out 25-45 MILES in 120 feet of water....

floyd

#248519 - 05/01/14 09:03 AM [User Showcase] Re: The Bush and the Boat [Re: floyd jane]
Loc: Melbourne, Australia
VideoTrack Online   content
Veteran

Loc: Melbourne, Australia
Originally Posted By: floyd jane

And...

I want to know what is meant by "...burleyed for snapper"
We fish for Red Snapper in the Gulf (of Mexico) out 25-45 MILES in 120 feet of water....

floyd

Hi Floyd
"Burley" is a anything enticing that fish will eat, generally tossed from the boat to attract fish to the area. Not sure if it's perhaps more an Australian / New Zealand term or not.

Burley often consists of what's left over after cleaning a fish, tossed back into the water.

(And, seasick people often just make their own berley, whether they like it or not!)
Hope this helps

Cheers
Trevor

BIAB&RB2019(Audiophile),Win-10Pro, SonarPlatinum, Izotope Prod.Bundle, Roland RD-1000, Synthogy Ivory, Kontakt, Focusrite 18i20, KetronSD2, KorgX3R, RodeNGT2, AM802mixer, NS40M StudioMonitors, Pioneer Act. Mons, AKG K271 Studio H'phones

#248521 - 05/01/14 09:09 AM [User Showcase] Re: The Bush and the Boat [Re: RichMac]
Loc: GA USA
Janice & Bud Offline
Veteran

Loc: GA USA
I love these songs that offer a glimpse into, for me, another world of childhood experiences. Very well done. I'm biased being an old upright bass picker but I can hear one in your song. There are some outstanding acoustic bass RT's. Enjoyed it!
J&B Website

#248523 - 05/01/14 09:13 AM [User Showcase] Re: The Bush and the Boat [Re: VideoTrack]
floyd jane Offline
Veteran

Originally Posted By: VideoTrack
Hi Floyd
"Burley" is a anything enticing that fish will eat generally tossed from the boat to attract fish to the area. Not sure if it's perhaps more an Australian / New Zealand term or not.

Burley often consists of what's left over after cleaning a fish, tossed back into the water.

(And, seasick people often just make their own berley, whether they like it or not!)
Hope this helps

Cheers
Trevor

Trevor - thanks for the explanation! We call that "chum"...

#248561 - 05/01/14 08:39 PM [User Showcase] Re: The Bush and the Boat [Re: RichMac]
RichMac Offline
Expert

Have taken Robert and Floyd's advice and replaced the bass.
(Goodbye buzz bass I may use you later in 'Ratbag Rap')
Also dropped one drum track. And the bottleblow.

http://youtu.be/bXn3wN_O6nM ( fixed the video May 5th )

Yeah Floyd Australasian term 'Burley'. I see the term chumming is American English from Powhatan. Looked up the red snapper. Discovered there are many species of snapper. Bet they all taste good. Thanks for your comments.

Thanks for your answer Trevor. Enjoyed the video!

We would drag for mussels from the extensive beds in the harbour where the snapper fed, smash some up to get the fish feeding off the bottom then Dad and I would work stray lines (flat out) from each side of the cockpit until we had all we wanted.
Lucky to get a feed these days.

Thanks for the encouraging comments and the listen Janice and Bud.
Cheers.

Edited by RichMac (05/04/14 07:59 PM)

#248597 - 05/02/14 09:49 AM [User Showcase] Re: The Bush and the Boat [Re: RichMac]
Loc: Helsinki, Finland
dani48 Offline
Veteran

Loc: Helsinki, Finland
Hi, Richard !:))

I also enjoyed your
trip back into your
child/youthood !:))
I use to go there
quite often nowadays !:))

Cheers
Dani

#248669 - 05/03/14 08:28 AM [User Showcase] Re: The Bush and the Boat [Re: RichMac]
olemon Offline
Journeyman

I love the poem, the lyrics. I could see them being read at 'Poetry Night' in the bookstore as part of your collection of published poems.

The new mix and RT are much better. The video stopped abruptly, but no matter, I played both versions.

This is a wonderful heartfelt window into the past.
https://soundcloud.com/scott-h-olson

#248689 - 05/03/14 12:43 PM [User Showcase] Re: The Bush and the Boat [Re: RichMac]
Loc: South Africa
JoanneCooper Offline
Veteran

Loc: South Africa
Hi Rich
Have to play this one to my better half. He loves fishing! Me, I dont eat seafood at all but I do like the song and as said before, I enjoyed the peak into your childhood. Great job.

#248809 - 05/04/14 05:49 PM [User Showcase] Re: The Bush and the Boat [Re: RichMac]
RichMac Offline
Expert

Thanks Dani - as i get older I seem to remember more and more detail from the past. Most of it better forgotten. hmmmm. But there is much that's enjoyable.

Thanks Olemon - My collection of poems would be a bit of a shocker!
Thanks for mentioning the video. Didn't notice the ending. Will put a few more seconds on the last frame.

Thanks much Josie. Looks like you are into cruising yachts. I want to do a song about that one day.

#249115 - 05/07/14 12:36 PM [User Showcase] Re: The Bush and the Boat [Re: RichMac]
Dave D Offline
PG Music Staff

I really, really like this song! You vocals combined with the backing track is great with such unique lyrics. A great combination and really well done.

Dave

#249127 - 05/07/14 04:38 PM [User Showcase] Re: The Bush and the Boat [Re: RichMac]
tommyad Offline
Veteran

Richard, thanks for the look into your past. The fishing here in Florida is not like it was 30 yrs ago. I enjoyed taking the journey of your song. If it's about fishing I'm all in. Tom

#249135 - 05/07/14 05:37 PM [User Showcase] Re: The Bush and the Boat [Re: RichMac]
RichMac Offline
Expert

Hi Dave. Thanks for the fabulous comment. It's much appreciated! Cheers.

#249139 - 05/07/14 05:42 PM [User Showcase] Re: The Bush and the Boat [Re: RichMac]
RichMac Offline
Expert

Hi Tom. Loved those weekends at the coast and feel very fortunate to live here now! Glad you enjoyed it. Cheers.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

PG Music News
Notation Enhancements in Band-in-a-Box® 2019 for Windows!

There are Notation Enhancements in the NEW Band-in-a-Box® 2019 for Windows! These include:
•A new button in the Print Options dialog which lets you quickly print a "chords only" fake sheet. You can also access this from the right-click menu on the chord sheet.
•A new track type (Drums) is now available for The Melody and Soloist tracks.
•Clicking close to a stave line will put a note on the stave line instead of between stave lines. (Previously, you had to click extremely close to a stave line to insert a note on The line.)
•Double-clicking on the Standard mode Notation window (or on the time line in Editable or Staff Roll mode) plays the song from the current time location. Previously, it played the song from the beginning of the current bar.
•Holding down the [Ctrl] key and pressing the zoom in/out buttons results in finest possible incremental adjustment in size.
•In The Notation Windows Options dialog, The clefs split point asterisk indicates that C5* is middle C.
•Pressing The space bar plays the song from the current time location, not the current bar.
•The clefs split point can be set by the spin controls.
•The right-click menu in the Editable or Staff Roll mode Notation window has an option to change the current beat resolution. Previously, the only way to do this was to right-click on the time line.
•There's a keystroke entry notation mode - the 'N' mode, which lets you enter a melody entirely using keystrokes. The keystrokes are N to enter a note, up/down cursor to change its pitch, and left/right cursor to move the time line.
•You can now edit any track in the Event List Editor. When The dialog opens, it will show you the MIDI data in the current Notation track.
•You can quickly enter forced accidentals from the right-click menu.

We talk about these new features within our Band-in-a-Box® 2019 for Windows®! New Features, RealTracks, and other content! video:
25:45 - New Features: Easy Entering of Notation with the 'N' Key
36:48 - Change Beat Resolution From the Right-Click Menu
37:15 - Easier Entry of Notes on Lines
37:42 - Asterisk to Indicate Middle C on & Spin Controls
37:53 - Force Accidental from the Right-Click Menu
38:01 - Edit Any Track in the Event List
38:09 - Keystroke Note Entry Mode 'N' for Faster Note Entry
38:28 - Print Chords Only Fake Sheet
38:32 - More Control of Notation Size

Rather read about it?
-Band-in-a-Box® 2019 for Windows® Upgrade Manual
-New Feature Summary - Notation Enhancements

The New Band-in-a-Box® 2019 for Windows SongPicker!

With Band-in-a-Box® 2019, the SongPicker has been redesigned!
-The completely redesigned window shows information for up to 50,000 songs.
-The song list build is much faster. Approximately 150 songs get added per second.
-A progress bar will appear if the song list build takes longer than 3 seconds.
-You can see the chord progression for the selected song in the list. You can copy and paste it to a text file.
-Many filters are available. You can filter the list by subfolders, genre, feel, time signature, style, songs with melody, soloist, lyrics, key signature, tempo range, and the year of file dates.
-You can search songs that have similar chord progressions and/or melody fragments.
-Hotkey! ss+enter opens the SongPicker, ss2+enter opens the Recently Played Songs, etc.

Learn more about the updates with our New Features Video - we've made it easy to find the section you'll need:
2:55 - New Feature: Redesigned SongPicker
21:58 - New Features: SongPicker Enhancements
41:10 - Now Over 10,600 Titles in SongPicker

You can also read all about the new SongPicker within our Online Band-in-a-Box® 2019 for Windows® Upgrade Manual.

RealBand 2019 Online and PDF Manuals Available!

Visit our Online Manuals support page for access to the latest RealBand 2019 for Windows program manuals!

RealBand 2019 for Windows User's Guide: Online Manual | PDF Download
RealBand 2019 for Windows New Features Guide: Online Manual | PDF Download

RealBand 2019 is included in every purchase of Band-in-a-Box® 2019 for Windows! We're having a SALE on Band-in-a-Box® 2019 Upgrade purchases until December 31, 2018 - save over 40% when you purchase your Band-in-a-Box® 2019 for Windows Upgrade! Check out our Band-in-a-Box® packages page for all the purchase options available

Band-in-a-Box® 2019 Online and PDF Manuals Available!

Visit our Online Manuals support page for access to the latest Band-in-a-Box® 2019 for Windows program manuals!

Band-in-a-Box® 2019 for Windows User's Guide: Online Manual | PDF Download
Band-in-a-Box® 2019 for Windows Upgrade Manual: Online Manual | PDF Download

Don't forget.... We're having a SALE on Band-in-a-Box® 2019 Upgrade purchases until December 31, 2018 - save over 40% when you purchase your Band-in-a-Box® 2019 for Windows Upgrade! Check out our Band-in-a-Box® packages page for all the purchase options available

Band-in-a-Box® 2019 on a USB 3.0 Hard Drive - Speed Thrills!

We're excited to say that all Band-in-a-Box® 2019 for Windows UltraPAK and UltraPAK+ orders now ship on a USB 3.0 hard drive!

What does this mean? Faster hard drive transfer rates will enhance the program operations (faster time to generate tracks, reduced audio artifacts) and offer faster transfer speeds (typically up to 3x faster)!

It's a great time to order your UltraPAK or UltraPAK+ Upgrade... they're ON SALE until December 31st!

Video: Band-in-a-Box® 2019 for Windows® New Features!

Our "Band-in-a-Box® 2019 for Windows®! New Features, RealTracks, and other content!" video is now ready! Get to know all about the newest features in Band-in-a-Box® 2019: Click here to watch...

We have listed a table of contents for this video, you'll see it within the YouTube video description, or by visiting this forum post.

RealBand 2019 - A New Look!

Have you opened up your RealBand 2019 yet? You may notice that we've given it a fresh new look! In fact, there are now 3 different looks to RealBand.

See for yourself! Within the program, visit Options | Icon Set and choose from: Classic, Modern 1, or Modern 2.

Forum Stats
28457 Members
58 Forums
55313 Topics
460825 Posts

Max Online: 2434 @ 11/14/17 12:37 AM
Newest Members
wsscott72, nobby, jeM, Masaladosa, jonny1

28456 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
Matt Finley 385
Pipeline 346