You need to be logged in to post
Options
Index
#248491 - 04/30/14 11:09 AM [User Showcase] New Album-Something Borrowed, Something Blue
Loc: St. Paul, Minnesota
fgrittner Offline
Expert

My new album was released today--Something Borrowed, Something Blue. There are ten songs, nine of which I wrote. Every track was arranged in BIAB, using the 2013 Mac version. I used RealTracks for bass, piano, and organ parts as well as RealDrums. On the song Sweet Marianne, I used a Dixieland RealStyle for the entire instrumental backing track: tuba, guitar, banjo, piano, and drums. For the rest of the songs I played acoustic and resonator guitars, and resonator mandolin. Dan Lippert played harmonica on all ten songs.

http://www.cdbaby.com/cd/fredgrittnerdanlippert

Let me know what you think.

Fred Grittner
https://fredgrittner.bandcamp.com

#248501 - 04/30/14 03:34 PM [User Showcase] Re: New Album-Something Borrowed, Something Blue [Re: fgrittner]
Loc: Florida
floyd jane Offline
Veteran

Fred,

It sounds really nice - what you can get from the snippets that cdbaby provides... they seem shorter than they used to be (or maybe it's just been a while since I've listen to any there...).

Good luck with it!

floyd

#248504 - 04/30/14 05:24 PM [User Showcase] Re: New Album-Something Borrowed, Something Blue [Re: fgrittner]
90 dB Offline
Veteran

Congrats Fred. Hope you sell a million!

When's the CD release party?

BTW, I prefer Barbados rum. cool

Regards,

Bob

#248507 - 04/30/14 05:59 PM [User Showcase] Re: New Album-Something Borrowed, Something Blue [Re: 90 dB]
fgrittner Offline
Expert

To listen to full songs, you can check out my Bandcamp site:

http://fredgrittner.bandcamp.com/album/something-borrowed-something-blue

Thanks for the comments.

#248508 - 04/30/14 06:54 PM [User Showcase] Re: New Album-Something Borrowed, Something Blue [Re: fgrittner]
90 dB Offline
Veteran

No release party? frown

Coffee and Doughnuts.........anything?

Sheesh...... crazy

#248524 - 05/01/14 09:23 AM [User Showcase] Re: New Album-Something Borrowed, Something Blue [Re: fgrittner]
Loc: GA USA
Janice & Bud Offline
Veteran

Loc: GA USA
Hey Bob, we could hold our own release party - I'll tip my IPA pint glass at 8pm this evening to a well done very listenable CD and hopes for its success.

J&B Soundcloud
J&B YouTube
J&B Website

#248525 - 05/01/14 09:38 AM [User Showcase] Re: New Album-Something Borrowed, Something Blue [Re: fgrittner]
floyd jane Offline
Veteran

Fred,

Nice CD. Very "comfortable and relaxed" sounding all the way through..
Dan's harmonica helps give a real cohesive feel to the project.

Especially like "Point Zero Eight" and "Better One Down the Road".
And the instrumentation to "Sweet Marianne" - is "sweet"...

So when you were recording in the studio... what was the "reaction" to the backing tracks that you provided? And... did you present them as a mix or individual tracks? Just wondering what that process was like...

floyd

#248541 - 05/01/14 02:04 PM [User Showcase] Re: New Album-Something Borrowed, Something Blue [Re: floyd jane]
fgrittner Offline
Expert

Hi Floyd,

Thanks for listening and your comments.

When I bring in musicians, I have already moved the individual RealTracks and Drums into Logic and have used EQ, compression, and reverb to make them come alive. I set up a headphone mix for the singer or musician. I am pretty open about using BIAB and generally get positive feedback. Fifteen years ago, when BIAB was MIDI only, I sent a drummer a demo that used BIAB MIDI drums. He got back to me and said he was unsure if he could do better. When I told him I had used BIAB, his attitude changed. He became dismissive. In the end, I preferred the BIAB drum track!

I think RealTracks, when carefully selected and edited, can fool just about anybody. Sweet Marianne was unusual for me in that I used only RealTracks and Drums. I typically use only bass, drums, keyboards and the occasional fiddle, pedal steel, or banjo. Adding my own stringed instruments and soloists like Dan Lippert enhances the "real feel."

Fred

#248667 - 05/03/14 08:09 AM [User Showcase] Re: New Album-Something Borrowed, Something Blue [Re: fgrittner]
olemon Offline
Expert

Congrats and good luck with this project.

#248693 - 05/03/14 12:52 PM [User Showcase] Re: New Album-Something Borrowed, Something Blue [Re: fgrittner]
Loc: South Africa
JoanneCooper Offline
Veteran

Loc: South Africa
Hi Fred
Congrats on a job very well done. It is interesting to hear what you have to say about taking the realtracks into the studio.

PG Music News
New Update Available for Band-in-a-Box® 2021 for Windows!

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2021 today!

We've applied some updates to a variety of Add-ons, improved transcriptions and simple tags, resolved playback issues with MIDI tracks, and more. Plus, this free update adds the latest DAW Plugin 3.46!

Learn more & download now.

Band-in-a-Box® 2021 Polish for Windows is Here!

Efektem naszej ciężkiej pracy w ostatnim czasie jest m.in. dodanie 80 nowych funkcji i wspaniałej kolekcji nowych dodatków i zawartości, które obejmują 202 RealTracks, nowe RealStyles, MIDI SuperTracks, Studia Instrumentalne, Wykonania Artystów, dodatkowe RealDrums "Pojedyncze ", transkrypcje RealDrums, pakiet MultiStyles PAK 1, Pakiet Xtra Styles PAK 10 i wiele innych!

Nowych | Pakiety

Band-in-a-Box® 2021 Dutch for Windows is Here!

We zijn bezig geweest en hebben 80 nieuwe functies toegevoegd en een verbazingwekkende collectie van nieuwe inhoud, inclusief 202 RealTracks, nieuwe RealStyles, MIDI SuperTracks, Instrumentale Studies, Artiest Uitvoeringen, Bonus RealDrums "Singles", RealDrums transcripties, MultiStyles PAK 1, Xtra Stijlen PAK 10 en meer!

Nieuwe Functies | Pakketten

Band-in-a-Box® 2021 Danish for Windows is Here!

Vi har haft travlt, og har tilføjet 80 nye funktioner og en fantastisk samling af nyt indhold, bl.a. 202 RealTracks, nye RealStyles, MIDI SuperTracks, Instrumental Studies, Artist Performances, bonus RealDrums "Singles," RealDrums transsriptioner, MultiStyles PAK 1, Xtra Styles PAK 10 og meget mere!

Hvan er Nyt | Pakker

Band-in-a-Box® 2021 for Windows Update Available!

The latest Band-in-a-Box® 2021 update for Windows enhances the JukeBox, adds a "Set all tracks to this:" option to the MIDI import dialog, improves chord sheet view during playback, and more!

Learn more & download this free update.

Read the patch announcement.

Band-in-a-Box® 2021 Swedish for Windows is Here!

Vi har varit flitiga och lagt till över 80 nya funktioner och en fantastisk samling av nytt innehåll, innefattande 202 RealTracks, nya RealStyles, MIDI SuperTracks, Instrumental Studies, Artist Performances, Bonus RealDrums "Singles," RealDrums transcriptions, MultiStyles PAK 1, Xtra Styles PAK 10, med mera!

Paket | Vad är nytt

Update Your RealBand 2021 Today!

The latest version of RealBand 2021 is ready to download and add to your existing 2021 installation!

With this update we've addressed many user reported issues. We brought back the option to save mono WMA files, made Band-in-a-Box notation slurs visible in RealBand notation, decreased the frequency of warning messages about sampling rates, added program stability when selecting FlexASIO driver, and more!

Forum Stats
34242 Members
67 Forums
69089 Topics
593330 Posts

Max Online: 2537 @ 01/19/20 07:09 AM
Newest Members
IsaacMcG, J.A., wikismith25, 'llsound, Jimbo1956

34242 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
VideoTrack 195
Matt Finley 154