Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
You need to be logged in to post
Options
Index
#248917 - 05/05/14 07:35 PM [User Showcase] Be My Medicine Man (Tom Adams Collab)
Loc: GA USA
Janice & Bud Offline
Veteran

Be My Medicine Man

I recently wrote a lyric built roughly around the age old theme of lost love with a twist as the lady is influenced by Native American spirituality. Janice and I wanted the arrangement to reflect the NA feeling but I was stuck trying to develop it. I had first thought about a blues feel (home turf) but I contacted Tom to see what he thought about suggesting an arrangement (of course I was hoping he might be interested in playing guitar on it).

Well, in short order he sent us an idea for the rhythmic groove and melody. One thing lead to another and Tom suggested a much better second verse along with some other tweaks and the cool idea of using a flute sample -- just can't say flute loop smile Janice riffed off his melody and this is what came out. I mostly sat back and watched and listened.

Janice: vocal
Tom: acoustic guitar, lead guitar, flute sample, RT/RD selection, mixing and mastering

RealTracks in style: ~388:Bass, Electric, Metal Ev 120
RealTracks in style: 694:Guitar, Electric, Rhythm ElecRockArp Ev 120
RealTracks in style: 697:Guitar, Electric, Rhythm ElecRockDirty Ev 120
RealDrums: RealDrums in Song: UrbanPopEv8UrbaFolk^3-a,b:cycling

Thanks for taking time to listen and, on behalf of the three of us, comments are most welcome.

#248927 - 05/05/14 08:01 PM [User Showcase] Re: Be My Medicine Man (Tom Adams Collab) [Re: Janice & Bud]
Loc: Edmonton, Ab, Canada
Scott C Offline
Veteran

Loc: Edmonton, Ab, Canada
Wow another awesome song. Lyrics, singing and playing were excellent. Love the tone of the guitar...

#248930 - 05/05/14 08:16 PM [User Showcase] Re: Be My Medicine Man (Tom Adams Collab) [Re: Janice & Bud]
aleck rand Offline
Expert

Bartender, whadeve' med'cine Janice and Bud be drinkin', yeah, gimme some o' that.

In walks Clint Eastwood.

Place goes dead quiet.

Except for the noise of me and my bar stool collapsing to the floor after taking a sip. Sure was a fine taste, tho'

Dean

#248941 - 05/05/14 09:03 PM [User Showcase] Re: Be My Medicine Man (Tom Adams Collab) [Re: Janice & Bud]
Loc: New York
rsdean Offline
Veteran

Loc: New York
Janice / Bud / Tom,

Excellent! Loved it! Great song and vocal. I also think the guitar & arrangement is outstanding.

Bob

#248944 - 05/06/14 12:53 AM [User Showcase] Re: Be My Medicine Man (Tom Adams Collab) [Re: Janice & Bud]
Loc: Davis, CA
Greg Johnson Offline
Veteran

Loc: Davis, CA
Very cool song! Love the native American musical vibe, and the echoing sound of the guitar after the chorus lines. Very beautiful and hypnotic. You guys never cease to impress. Keep it up. Take care. Greg

#248955 - 05/06/14 02:51 AM [User Showcase] Re: Be My Medicine Man (Tom Adams Collab) [Re: Greg Johnson]
Loc: Kent UK
Jools B Offline

Loc: Kent UK
Beautiful song and great mix/production.

This is the first song I've heard from you guys & won't be the last!

Jools

#248965 - 05/06/14 07:21 AM [User Showcase] Re: Be My Medicine Man (Tom Adams Collab) [Re: aleck rand]
Janice & Bud Offline
Veteran

Originally Posted By: Scottt709
Wow another awesome song. Lyrics, singing and playing were excellent. Love the tone of the guitar...

We appreciate that Scott and, yep, Tom found a great tone for the mood.

Originally Posted By: aleck rand
Bartender, whadeve' med'cine Janice and Bud be drinkin', yeah, gimme some o' that.

In walks Clint Eastwood.

Place goes dead quiet.

Except for the noise of me and my bar stool collapsing to the floor after taking a sip. Sure was a fine taste, tho'

Dean

Thanks Dean!! Your spaghetti western vignette is, well, dead on smile

#248986 - 05/06/14 10:50 AM [User Showcase] Re: Be My Medicine Man (Tom Adams Collab) [Re: Janice & Bud]
Loc: Karlsruhe, Germany
boehm Offline
Veteran

Loc: Karlsruhe, Germany
Hi Janice, Bud and Tom,

outstanding production.
Love the NA musical vibe, the sound of the flute and the guitar and of course Janice's voice.

Guenter

#248996 - 05/06/14 11:47 AM [User Showcase] Re: Be My Medicine Man (Tom Adams Collab) [Re: Janice & Bud]
Guitarhacker Offline
Veteran

I like it.... not one of my favorites from you guys but still a respectably decent song and recording.

Good job.

Add nothing that adds nothing to the music.

As the sword chooses the warrior, so too, the song chooses the writer.

#249007 - 05/06/14 01:43 PM [User Showcase] Re: Be My Medicine Man (Tom Adams Collab) [Re: Janice & Bud]
Loc: Helsinki, Finland
dani48 Offline
Veteran

Loc: Helsinki, Finland
Hi, Bud & Janice and Tommy !:))

This is just superb music superbly
performed !:)) You have really
got the right feel for "Medicine Man"
at least to me it sounds a bit
indian ? :))

I have to say WOW !! :))

Cheers
Dani

#249026 - 05/06/14 04:29 PM [User Showcase] Re: Be My Medicine Man (Tom Adams Collab) [Re: Janice & Bud]
Digital Angel Offline
Apprentice

Ah yes! Sit back and take a swig in the ears of some good old fashion music scoring.

When's the movie coming out!

Anytime you can sit back and have a Bud just watching and listening, you ought get the Dr. over and check for a pulse:)

DA...

#249032 - 05/06/14 06:05 PM [User Showcase] Re: Be My Medicine Man (Tom Adams Collab) [Re: Greg Johnson]
Janice & Bud Offline
Veteran

Originally Posted By: rsdean
Janice / Bud / Tom,

Excellent! Loved it! Great song and vocal. I also think the guitar & arrangement is outstanding.

Bob

Thanks Bob, yep, Tom did a heckuva job playing on and arranging the tune.

Originally Posted By: Greg Johnson
Very cool song! Love the native American musical vibe, and the echoing sound of the guitar after the chorus lines. Very beautiful and hypnotic. You guys never cease to impress. Keep it up. Take care. Greg

Thank you so much Greg. That's exactly the sound we were looking for!

#249035 - 05/06/14 06:32 PM [User Showcase] Re: Be My Medicine Man (Tom Adams Collab) [Re: Janice & Bud]
Loc: South Carolina
Charlie Fogle Online   content
Veteran

Loc: South Carolina
Good song and quite unique. This is a good collaborative effort with Tom.

#249044 - 05/06/14 09:05 PM [User Showcase] Re: Be My Medicine Man (Tom Adams Collab) [Re: Janice & Bud]
Loc: Winston-Salem, NC
Pat Marr Offline
Veteran

Loc: Winston-Salem, NC
wow, I liked this one quite a bit!

Here's what I liked:

1) the overall flow of the song just worked for me in a mysterious way that's hard to pin down> Maybe it was the way the mix flowed so smoothly and fused with Janice's voice so tightly that it didn't sound like separate entities at all, but rather as one cohesive unit.

2) I liked the recurring guitar riff... to me that sort of thing really goes a long way toward making a song recognizable and unique

3) the native flute was good call.. IMO, it totally worked (and usually I don't like that sort of thing... all too often it sounds contrived to me)

4) The beat was consistent with a tribal dance, but I kept expecting native drums rather than the more electric hand-clap kit. Maybe the introduction of such drums would have pushed the native theme into "contrived" territory, but my gut feeling is that it wouldn't have.

5) If you are familiar with the book/movie WHALE RIDER, this song took my mind there. Although that story is not about native Americans, it is about New Zealand Maori, which would be their equivalent. The line "Grandfather said I was a chosen one " is what stirred the association.

Very nice in every way! Hats off to all the participants in this project!

#249051 - 05/06/14 10:08 PM [User Showcase] Re: Be My Medicine Man (Tom Adams Collab) [Re: boehm]
Janice & Bud Offline
Veteran

Originally Posted By: Jools B
Beautiful song and great mix/production.

This is the first song I've heard from you guys & won't be the last!

Jools

Thanks! We appreciate that.

Originally Posted By: boehm
Hi Janice, Bud and Tom,

outstanding production.
Love the NA musical vibe, the sound of the flute and the guitar and of course Janice's voice.

Guenter

Thank you Guenter. This was definitely on the experimental side for us!

#249053 - 05/06/14 10:33 PM [User Showcase] Re: Be My Medicine Man (Tom Adams Collab) [Re: Janice & Bud]
Sundance Offline
Veteran

This is really cool. I like it.

Great job Tom, Janice and Bud.

Two thumbs up!

Josie

#249055 - 05/06/14 10:56 PM [User Showcase] Re: Be My Medicine Man (Tom Adams Collab) [Re: Janice & Bud]
Loc: Florida
tommyad Offline
Veteran

Scott and Bob, thanks for checking in and commenting. We appreciate it.

Aleck and Greg, we were looking for that Clint Eastwood spaghetti western feel. We're glad you two liked it. Thanks for listening.

Jools, Guenter, Herb and Dani, thanks for listening and the kind words. Your comments are appreciated.

Tom

#249056 - 05/06/14 11:10 PM [User Showcase] Re: Be My Medicine Man (Tom Adams Collab) [Re: Janice & Bud]
tommyad Offline
Veteran

DA, thank you for taking the time to listen and comment.

Pat, your comments are always enlightening. We are very glad that you took the time to listen and to be be very specific in your comments. I actually deleted a few guitar riffs as I felt they were too repetitious. The flute had to be pitch corrected but it seemed to fit. I was lucky to find that. Oddly enough there aren't that many NA loops out there. The drums were a little tricky to get sounding right because the low end was muddying up the whole track. But I think it is pretty close. This was an unusual project for all of us but we work well together as a team. Thanks again, glad you checked in.

Josie, We're happy you liked it. If we get 2 thumbs up from you, I feel we did pretty good. Thanks, Tom

#249057 - 05/06/14 11:12 PM [User Showcase] Re: Be My Medicine Man (Tom Adams Collab) [Re: Janice & Bud]
tommyad Offline
Veteran

Sorry Charlie, I almost missed thanking you. Thanks for stopping by. Tom

#249074 - 05/07/14 02:23 AM [User Showcase] Re: Be My Medicine Man (Tom Adams Collab) [Re: Janice & Bud]
Loc: wales
gibson Offline
Veteran

Loc: wales
Janice, Bud and Tommy,

That was a lovely song, great spiritual, native american vibe. Well according to my Welsh ears!!
Quote:
I echo that quote from Guenter.

enjoyed

Alyn

My story

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

PG Music News
Band-in-a-Box® for Mac - Audio Chord Wizard Overview Video

The Audio Chord Wizard included in Band-in-a-Box is a powerful feature that automatically figures out the chords from an audio file and imports them (as well as the audio) into Band-in-a-Box®, along with the bar lines, key, tempo, and fine tuning!

Check out this video, where we explain how to use the Audio Chord Wizard: Click here to watch...

Read more about the Audio Chord Wizard within our online program manual, here. Better yet - give it a try and see/hear for yourself how intelligent this feature is!

Clarinet RealTracks for Band-in-a-Box®!

It's National Clarinet Day! Who doesn't enjoy the rich & mellow sounds the clarinet delivers?

We have 20+ Clarinet RealTracks available for Band-in-a-Box®, covering Dixieland, Folk, Jazz, and World styles. You'll find these RealTracks in the following Sets:
RealTracks Set 56: Jazz, Old and New
RealTracks Set 144: Dixieland - Fast Soloists
RealTracks Set 178: Dixieland - Medium Soloists
RealTracks Set 248: Oberkrainer! Folk Music From the Alps

Clarinet RealTracks Artists include:
James Danderfer
P.J. Perry
Thomas Oberreiter

Tutorial - Downloading and Installing Your Band-in-a-Box® Purchase

When you order your copy of Band-in-a-Box® from our website you'll receive the installation files to download your order, even if you're having it shipped!

You can access these files within the My Products section of your online account.

Downloading the program is such a convenient way to get started with Band-in-a-Box®! To learn more about how to download your purchase, please review the written tutorials we've created for Windows and Mac.

200+ Saxophone RealTracks for Band-in-a-Box®!

Where would music be today without the sultry sounds of the Saxophone? Fortunately, because of Adolphe Sax, we don't have to find out!

Today we celebrate his birthday, and with that a nod to our extensive collection of Saxophone RealTracks for Band-in-a-Box®!

Saxophone RealTracks sound so amazing that they were one of the first RealTracks we developed and released for the program with Band-in-a-Box® 2007! Now there are more than 200 Saxophone RealTracks available for Jazz, Rock, Blues, Country, Funk, and Pop!

Our Saxophone RealTracks Artists include:
Eric Alexander
Eric Marienthal
Gary Smulyan
Jack Stafford
Jim Clark
Mark Douthit
P.J. Perry
Phil Woods
Tom Keenlyside

Click on their name to be taken to their bio page where you can learn more about the artists and listen to demos of all their RealTracks.

Upgrading to Band-in-a-Box® 2020 is Easy!

Did you know... anyone who has owned a previous version of Band-in-a-Box® is entitle to upgrade pricing - you do not need to have your old version installed!

Maybe you used to own the Windows version, but you now have a Mac... that's not a problem either!
(or if you owned the Mac version, and now you have a Windows computer)

In both cases, you would purchase from the "Upgrade from 2018 or earlier or crossgrade" row here for a new Mac version, or here if you want the newest Windows version. Just need to upgrade your 2019 version? Use the "Upgrade from 2019/2020" row.

When you purchase your upgrade from either of these rows, you will receive a complete installation - just follow the steps of the setup, and your Band-in-a-Box® will be ready to use!

PG Music Inc. shopping cart accounts were not required to purchase from our website prior to October 29, 2014. With that in mind, you may have to create an account in order to upgrade - that's OK! You'll still be entitled to upgrade pricing.

Band-in-a-Box® 2020 Italian for Mac is Here!

Ci sono oltre 50 nuove funzionalità in Band-in-a-Box® 2020! Ci sono miglioramenti ai RealTracks (RealTracks vocali dal suono più fluido, Ispessimento RealTracks, RealTracks "Find-a-Sub" e MultiRiffs). La maggior parte dei RealDrums ora hanno RealCharts (con un'accurata Notazione di Batteria). C'è un nuovo Browser dell'artista RealTracks per trovare informazioni /bios/collegamenti/ elenchi di RealTracks su tutti gli artisti. Un nuovo Browser delle Funzionalità consente all'utente nuovo o "smemorato" di trovare e utilizzare facilmente la maggior parte delle funzionalità/tasti di scelta rapida/documenti da un'unica finestra. Equalizza Tempo consente di cambiare una canzone registrata in rubato in un tempo fisso. Stiramento del tempo/tono dell'audio migliorato (Elastique) incluso. Ci sono miglioramenti di SongPicker, Auto-Intro di Basso/Batteria o Batteria solo, 3.400 titoli aggiunti, miglioramenti di MusicXML, chitarra "per mancini" e "Vista Studente", miglioramenti del trascinamento della selezione, visualizzazione multi-finestra dell’analizzatore degli accordi audio e altro ancora!

ACQUISTA/AGGIORNA & SCARICA ADESSO!!

Want to be notified when a new version of Band-in-a-Box® is released? There are a few ways to stay informed!

PG Music Newsletter: Click here to subscribe
(If you've registered with us, or purchased from us, you're already on the list!)

Facebook: Click here to "Like" our page!

Twitter: Click here to Follow Us!

We'll also announce any new version or new product release on our Forum... stay tuned!

Forum Stats
33219 Members
67 Forums
66107 Topics
567153 Posts

Max Online: 2537 @ 01/19/20 07:09 AM
Newest Members
Banning, dudes_czc, jdgm, fdesat, babluc

33218 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
Pipeline 198
MarioD 164