Print Thread
Go To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
#248879 05/05/14 12:09 PM
User Showcase
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
SO... this is a new song just written.... another one that most likely, ends up as a throw away.... another wayside on the journey to wherever on this songwriting path.

Nash-town will say it's not contemporary enough.... too slow, too old fashioned..... whatever.... right?

So, have a listen.

I'm doing a few things in here to pay attention to.

1. All the guitars electric and acoustic are played by me. Modern Fender Tele & Taylor
2. There's a full stop before the end of the song
3. The ending is custom and slows down....although listening now, I think perhaps not enough.... but that's personal taste... it was an experiment to see how it would work out.

4. The RT's are:
B3= 688
cello=1856
Steel= 369 and 1667 playing at different times and places....
Piano= 2025
Real drums and real bass from BB I think.... there's no numbers on the tracks.

Here's the track>>>> FALL BACK IN LOVE
Hope you enjoy.

You can find my music at:
www.herbhartley.com
Add nothing that adds nothing to the music.
You can make excuses or you can make progress but not both.

The magic you are looking for is in the work you are avoiding.
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Hi, Herb !:))

This is a very nice tune
so well performed ! I think
this is one of your best and
as always I love your vocals most !:))

Cheers
Dani

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Herb, Your throwaway pile is better than most of our keepers. A lot to like here. The guitar work is great. The acoustic sounds perfect. The steel editing is spot on and I know that is not easy to get right. The vocal is just right. It's a good write. Who gives a rats [*****] about Nashville. A good song is a good song period. Ok now I hope you will explain how you did that ending. That is super cool. Oh and nice chord changes in the chorus. Great job. This is my favorite of all your postings. I'm going back in for another listen. Tom

User Showcase
Expert
Expert
Very lovely. Wonderful clarity and tone on the guitars and a very nice song. Cheers.

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Definitely not a throwaway. Absolutely loved it. Playing, singing and lyrics were awesome...

Scott Collingwood
https://soundcloud.com/scottt709
https://soundcloud.com/spiritlevel-ca
https://www.youtube.com/@SpiritLevel-ge3hm/
User Showcase
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Dani, Tommy, Rich, and Scott..... thanks...

to answer Tommy's inquiry as to how I did the ending....

The song tempo is 67. I shut off the automatic BB 2 measure ending and added about 6 more measures.

The slow down occurs in a one measure space.... more precisely, 4 beats.
So what I did was take that one measure and make it two measures of 2 beats each.... musically, it doesn't sound any different that way.

Then I went into the first 2 beat measure and set the tempo to 64 beats and the second measure of 2 beats and set it to 60..... waaa laaa... for the last chord played, I made a held E... << 3 intentional dots. I had the extra measures following the E... so the chord could simply fade naturally over that time.

Since the slow down is packed into that one section of 4 beats and divided across 2 measures there is not a noticeable "step down" effect in tempo.... it appears to be a smooth transition form the song tempo to the stop on the last chord.

Simple really.

www.herbhartley.com

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Herb,

To my ears, this has a really nice early 70s Charlie Rich feel to it. I also enjoyed the great guitar playing and vocal. Well done...

Bob

User Showcase
G
Veteran
Veteran
G
I love the way this feels. Great stuff! Beautiful marriage of "real tracks" and your "real tracks". Your guitar work is beautiful, and the song is very soulful. Love your feel for the vocal as well! Take care. Greg

User Showcase
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Bob & Greg, thanks for the time you took to listen.

I'm glad you both enjoyed it.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

To everyone listening who cares to comment:
Regarding the song itself..... is there anything, that if you had written this, you would have said or done differently? I ask because this has been reviewed by 2 different sources and some of the suggestions from each have been incorporated into this, which is obviously different from the version I started with. Just picking your brain here.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Last edited by Guitarhacker; 05/06/14 05:04 AM.

www.herbhartley.com

User Showcase
Expert
Expert
Dear Herb,

Lovely tune, excellent mix. I'm glad it's you singing. Your smooth vocal is right on:) The guitar solo fits perfectly.

Re: Ending. I think you've got it. I have a song with an a'tempo guitar entrance...I've been experimenting with the same thing you did here.

If I may, re: Nashville.

Years ago, after a weekend workshop with Steve Seskin (Daddy's Money, Don't Laugh At Me) and Beth Nielsen Chapman (Five Minutes, This Kiss) I went home energized to write a hit. After a few weeks of frustration trying to write a chart topper like them, I wrote 'Lawn Chair'. I liked it, others seemed to, well heck, that was the whole point. I vowed then to write for me, the best that I could, and move on. If someone else likes my song, I'm happy.

I hope it makes you happy that I/we like your song.

User Showcase
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted By: olemon
Dear Herb,

If I may, re: Nashville.

Years ago, after a weekend workshop with Steve Seskin (Daddy's Money, Don't Laugh At Me) and Beth Nielsen Chapman (Five Minutes, This Kiss) I went home energized to write a hit. After a few weeks of frustration trying to write a chart topper like them, I wrote 'Lawn Chair'. I liked it, others seemed to, well heck, that was the whole point. I vowed then to write for me, the best that I could, and move on. If someone else likes my song, I'm happy.

I hope it makes you happy that I/we like your song.

Yeah, I have resolved that issue myself.... I was just commenting on what they would say.... and have said, and will continue to say. The song I wrote fits a similar style to stuff that I do hear on the radio but without that rubbing of shoulders and raising the glass together with the folks in the inner circles, there's not much chance for someone outside of N-town to get something happening.

The song gave me immense satisfaction writing and recording it, and that's why I do this thing called songwriting. If it makes one other person set back and smile and feel good, then it is a success. Perhaps one day, something I pen will catch the ear of someone who decides to record it and that will simply be the icing on the cake as that saying goes. I write songs because it's what I do as part of who I am and what I do, even if no one else would ever hear them. Before the internet, that's exactly what I did. Now, with the net, there are a few people besides me, who get to hear what I write.

Thank you for listening to my creations and inner thoughts set to music.

www.herbhartley.com

User Showcase
C
Veteran
Veteran
C
QUOTE: To everyone listening who cares to comment:
Regarding the song itself..... is there anything, that if you had written this, you would have said or done differently? I ask because this has been reviewed by 2 different sources and some of the suggestions from each have been incorporated into this, which is obviously different from the version I started with. Just picking your brain here.

Only because you asked and certainly not because of any lack of quality in the songwriting, performance or production of your song.
First, you are spot on in your personal assessment of your song regarding Nashville and radio. Why won't this song make it when compared to the juvenile song and most recent release of Blake Shelton that I heard on THE VOICE last night.

Privately, I pick many of the best songs I hear from the forum apart, line by line, verse by verse and instrument by instrument as a learning exercise for myself to why that particular well-written, quality produced and performed song would not be a commercial hit. Here's what my notes are on this song.
Song needs younger, hipper sounding singer and vocabulary.
Bit faster tempo so the song does not have an "Always on My Mind" familiarity to it. Verse structure is old style.
Ballads can't just be good, they must be epic. Especially musically. Needs punch to the final mix.
Of top 5-6 recent country hits on the radio now, how many have a cello? NONE.
Guitar needs to sound modern. Compare to licks and effects on today's hits.
Don't write songs that draw comparisons to 70-80's artists.
-----
None of my notes are to demean what you have accomplished. This is a good song as written and performed. I like it and listen to it every time I log on. But, it doesn't sound enough like what is heard on the radio today to likely be picked up.(You know that and said so) It could, but my thought is your version would be considered a demo and chosen on the strengths of the lyrics and not the music. I think musically it would be drastically modified.

You have everything you need to be a commercial success. You don't need to wait on luck for your work to fall into some producer's hands for you to be discovered. You have the production tools, the vocal and guitar talent and very good lyrical talent. You certainly should not resign yourself to playing for yourself and a few friends.

I apologize for the harshness this post seems to have and my intent is not to criticize your excellent work but to share my impressions and analysis to what would not necessarily make it "better" but simply more commercial. Two completely different things. My notes are my thoughts to myself as I listen to your son that if I had written and performed that particular work (your words, music and performance) strictly to "sell" it for a current artist to record and have a hit with, what I would do differently.

BIAB Ultra Pak+ 2024:RB 2024, Latest builds: Dell Optiplex 7040 Desktop; Windows-10-64 bit, Intel Core i7-6700 3.4GHz CPU and 16 GB Ram Memory.
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Hi Herb,

"If it makes one other person set back and smile and feel good, then it is a success."
It just happened.

Guenter

User Showcase
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
c_fogle, I agree with your assessment. No offense taken since I've been plugging songs to the folks in N-town for years, I've heard much much worse and certainly harsher feedback. Therein lies the crux of the matter... to write what they are calling "contemporary country hits"..... I'm trying and I knew from early on with this song that it would not fall into the CC category. Ahhh.. perhaps the next one?

Guenter..... you made me smile.... thanks.

www.herbhartley.com

User Showcase
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
I was kinda on the fence with the cello.... so it's gone. That's really the only difference from this point on....(for now)

www.herbhartley.com

User Showcase
Apprentice
Apprentice
Time well spent on the art of music production.

It's in your blood to play and I for one enjoy your company.

Your voice sound reminds me of what Neil Young would have been if he went country.

Very soulful and natural in your style of singing.

I listen to the Barn Yard here in the Northeast and find that today's country is a lot more light rock then when I was growing up, and the gear that they let slide would have been considered metal back in the day.

Go for what you know and keep a pencil close by, you never know when you'll get an idea in the middle of the night grab the phone and sing some kind of line into it, only to find out you done sang into the tv remote control the next day.

DA...

Hp Z Workstation - Akai MPK 49 - Intimate Headphone Listening http://soundcloud.com/digital-angel
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Herb,

I always enjoy your songs, for several different reasons. First of all I appreciate the significant personal contribution you make to your songs in terms of performing and singing. You use PGMusic products the way I would like to use them in a perfect world: as an accompaniment for your own skills.

Not only that, but your skill at the recording and mixing process is also a thrill to behold, and the sum of the parts you add together (including all the good stuff provided by PGMusic) always ends up as a very pleasing listening experience.

In this project I liked the ending quite a bit. Thanks for sharing your technique. It goes without saying that your other contributions were also masterfully done. Not that I'm qualified to affirm your work or anything, but I can't help but to say "Awesome job!"

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Herb, a fabulous effort on this one. The vocal is ear-grabbing and mellow. I also enjoyed the guitar work. It was mellow and not over-bearing as we hear all too often even in the big studio productions. I think you adhere to the "less is more" philosophy and it was very affective here. Thanks for sharing.

Goin' back for second helpins!

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Herb,

Very soulful and heartfelt. Beautiful production.

Even if you were chasing cuts, it's good and healthy to always take time to write some songs just for yourself. Why? Because otherwise you lose your mind. Whether it's happy, sad, quirky or whatever, the freedom of expression in writing just to please yourself really is chicken soup for the creative soul. It's also fun.

I enjoyed this a lot.

Josie

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Herb,
Good song I like the stop at the end. Thanks for the low-down on how you achieved it, gonna try that myself.

The only country I now listen to intentionally is on this forum so I do not know what is "Modern country" but this song is very enjoyable. The vocals, solo guitar and the mix are all excellent.
My songs are vignettes of my life so I never write songs to please the listeners, if they like my song then I am happy.

Keep em coming and good luck chasing the dream :>)

Alyn

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Video: Volume Automation in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created a video to help you learn more about the Volume Automation options in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows.

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Volume Automation

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#volume-automation

Video: Audio Input Monitoring with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created this short video to explain Audio Input Monitoring within Band-in-a-Box® 2024, and included some tips & troubleshooting details too!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Audio Input Monitoring

3:17: Tips
5:10: Troubleshooting

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#audio-input-monitoring

Video: Enhanced Melodists in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®!

We've enhanced the Melodists feature included in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows!

Access the Melodist feature by pressing F7 in the program to open the new MultiPicker Library and locate the [Melodist] tab.

You can now generate a melody on any track in the program - very handy! Plus, you select how much of the melody you want generated - specify a range, or apply it to the whole track.

See the Melodist in action with our video, Band-in-a-Box® 2024: The Melodist Window.

Learn even more about the enhancements to the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024upgrade/chapter3.htm#enhanced-melodist

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Specifically for Reaper®

New with the DAW Plugin Version 6.0, released with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows: the Reaper® Panel!

This new panel offers built-in specific support for the Reaper® DAW API allowing direct transfer of Band-in-a-Box® files to/from Reaper® tracks!

When you run the Plugin from Reaper®, there is a panel to set the following options:
-BB Track(s) to send: This allows you to select the Plugin tracks that will be sent Reaper.
-Destination Reaper Track: This lets you select the destination Reaper track to receive media content from the Plugin.
-At Bar: You can select a bar in Reaper where the Plugin tracks should be placed.
-Start Below Selected Track: This allows you to place the Plugin tracks below the destination Reaper track.
-Overwrite Reaper Track: You can overwrite previous content on the destination Reaper track.
-Move to Project Folder: With this option, you can move the Plugin tracks to the Reaper project folder.
-Send Reaper Instructions Enable this option to send the Reaper Instructions instead of rendering audio tracks, which is faster.
-Render Audio & Instructions: Enable this option to generate audio files and the Reaper instructions.
-Send Tracks After Generating: This allows the Plugin to automatically send tracks to Reaper after generating.
-Send Audio for MIDI Track: Enable this option to send rendered audio for MIDI tracks.
-Send RealCharts with Audio: If this option is enabled, Enable this option to send RealCharts with audio.

Check out this video highlighting the new Reaper®-specific features: Band-in-a-Box® DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Specifically for Reaper®

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Video

The new Band-in-a-Box VST DAW Plugin Verion 6 adds over 20 new features!

Watch the new features video to learn more: Video: Band-in-a-Box® 2024 - DAW Plugin Version 6 New Features

We also list these new features at www.pgmusic.com/bbwin.plugin.htm.

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,391
Posts732,465
Members38,440
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
Ernest J, Izzy, BenChaz, Csofi, mmpartee
38,439 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 195