Next Thread
Print Thread
Go To
Off-Topic
J
ja41son Offline OP
OP Offline
J
I know they are out there because I had several on my old PC. I can't find anything now. Does anyone know where I can go to load jazz standards (Satin Doll, Fly Me to the Moon, Autumn Leaves, etc) to Band in a Box. Free or paid sites, this is the main reason I plan on upgrading to 2014 software.

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Welcome to the BIAB forums.

Asking for links to illegal downloads is not a good way to join the forums.

Off-Topic
J
ja41son Offline OP
OP Offline
J
I'll ask what I wish because I am willing to pay for the content sir. Now, does Band in a Box provide LEGAL content that I can download?

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Not for copyrighted content.

Off-Topic
J
ja41son Offline OP
OP Offline
J
I thought fake book standards were public domain.....has anyone created files for fake book?

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: ja41son
I know they are out there because I had several on my old PC. I can't find anything now. Does anyone know where I can go to load jazz standards (Satin Doll, Fly Me to the Moon, Autumn Leaves, etc) to Band in a Box. Free or paid sites, this is the main reason I plan on upgrading to 2014 software.

I'm not exactly sure what you're asking for sir, and I'd like to make sure I understand. If you're looking for MIDI files, you can do a search for 'Jazz Standard MIDI Files' and you could find tons of stuff. If you're looking for mp3 or other actual audio files, you could purchase multiple audio files and import them. If you're looking for Band In A Box file, you will find songs with only chord progressions or songs with chord progressions and melody. Songs with melodies are actually copywritten material and usually is not sold, since it requires the seller to pay a copyright fee on each song sold.

I have been away from BIAB and the boards here for a while, but the last time I checked, Norton Music was selling Band In A Box disks to go with certain Fake Books. In fact, I have the Warner Brothers 'Just Standards for Real Book' disk from Notes. However, it has no melody, only the chord progression for each song in the book.

So, it might help us to help you if you explained in a little bit more detail exactly what you were looking for, and looking to get.

PG Music does not allow copywritten material to be posted on their website, unless YOU are the copyright holder on the song, or it's an original of yours (same basic difference). In fact, they don't even allow links to music on your own website that may be copywritten. So, most people are not going to post a link to something that is, in essence, illegal.

But, please give us a bit more of a description of what you're looking for, and we MAY be able to help. We may not be able to give you an exact location, but we might be able to point you in the direction of where you want to go.

By the way, what is it about the 2014 version that would make you want to upgrade if you can find certain things? I just want to make sure we all know what you're looking for.

Gary

I'm blessed watching God do what He does best. I've had a few rough years, and I'm still not back to where I want to be, but I'm on the way and things are looking far better now than what they were!
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
I thought fake book standards were public domain.....has anyone created files for fake book?

No, Fake Book music is still copywritten material. Now, here's the thing, a melody can be copywritten, a chord progression can not. A 'contrafact' is a different song written over the same chord progression, and there are several contrafacts in "The Great American Songbook.' Here is a list of some famous contrafacts.

As I stated in my previous Post, Norton Music did, and probably still does, sell BIAB Fakebooks, but with no melody.

Gary

I'm blessed watching God do what He does best. I've had a few rough years, and I'm still not back to where I want to be, but I'm on the way and things are looking far better now than what they were!
Off-Topic
J
ja41son Offline OP
OP Offline
J
Ok, thanks for the reply. Take for example "satin doll". I am trying to find a way to practice improvisation over jazz tunes. Years ago I could go to a midi site by doing a Yahoo search and click a button with the band in a box picture. I could highlight a couple of measures and play over the changes while adjusting the tempo or key. This make practice fun. I know the transcription was directly from the fake book. I suppose I could just enter the chords manually and pick a jazz rhythm track but this was much faster. I did the searches like you said but 1. nothing loads properly. 2. I'm not even sure what I am downloading or if it is even compatible with band in a box.

I am not a computer geek nor a lawyer. I just want an easy page where it says in nice print "satin doll for band in a box" so that I can PUSH it.....then practice. Nothing is easy anymore. I should just quit guitar....one day a lawyer will copyright the E string and I'll have to pay to play that.

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
One thing I would do, and about the only place that you might actually find what you're looking for would be Yahoo's Band In A Box groups.

https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/Band-in-a-Box/info

https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/BIABFSG/files

These should offer you BIAB files with no melody, which would allow you to practice over them.

Then, as I previously mentioned Bob "Notes" Norton has a series of Fake Book disks, and you can also order the Fake Books to go along with them, for sale.

http://www.nortonmusic.com/contents.html#fake

By the way, make sure you ask the lawyer WHICH E string. I don't play guitar, but if I remember, there are two of them. :p

Gary

Last edited by Gary Curran; 05/14/14 09:42 PM.

Off-Topic
J
ja41son Offline OP
OP Offline
J
Thanks. I saw the Norton earlier but the site looked trashy and I didn't trust it. I will look more into it with your recommendation. I assume this is "legal". Thanks again.

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Thanks. I saw the Norton earlier but the site looked trashy and I didn't trust it. I will look more into it with your recommendation. I assume this is "legal". Thanks again.

Believe, the site isn't trashy, but it is designed for low bandwith users. Notes Norton has been at this for, I don't know how long. You can also look him up on this site as well, as he is a huge contributor and has a very good working relationship with PG Music. As to his product, it is TOP NOTCH. Bob is a working musician, multi instrumentalist and knows his stuff when it comes to this. I assure you that what he does is totally legal, and they (the feds, the lawyers and the music industry) would be all over him if he wasn't.

Bob is also a good friend to many of the people on this forum, including me. I have several of his products, and if money wasn't an issue right now, I'd buy more.

Gary

Off-Topic
Veteran
Online Content
Veteran
+1 for the Norton Music site. I first ordered from Bob 'Notes' Norton in the mid 90s, even before websites were common for small companies. I'm glad he spends more effort on his styles than his website.

The products on his website are indeed legal because they contain no melodies, as explained above.

BIAB 2024 Win Audiophile. Software: Studio One 6.5 Pro, Swam horns, Acoustica-7, Notion 6; Win 11 Home. Hardware: Intel i9, 32 Gb; Roland Integra-7, Presonus Studio 192, Presonus Faderport 8, Royer 121, Adam Sub8 & Neumann 120 monitors
Off-Topic
J
ja41son Offline OP
OP Offline
J
Sounds good. I just have a thing for attractive looking websites I guess. The content is all that matters I know. Thanks

Off-Topic
J
ja41son Offline OP
OP Offline
J
Ok, after looking over the Norton page it looks like they have what I am looking for. Since I am not much of a computer person, looking at the content and scrolling through all the information was a bit confusing. It's called a "fake disc" now as opposed to BIAB or midi files but I guess all these terms are used to describe what I am looking for. On top of that there is the term "Real Book", "Fake Book" and "Real Fake Book" there is probably a "Fake Real Book" somewhere too. That's why upon first glance the site looked the way I described. As I am becoming more familiar with the site and terms I can see why it looks the way it does. Sorry to call your site "trashy" Mr. Norton and I will be using it for my Band in a Box upgrade hopefully this weekend. I felt bad calling someone's work trashy knowing people on this form are affiliated with him. I'll shut up now. grin

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Thank you all for the kind comments about my work and business ethics.

I call them "fake disks", because when I started making these things, it was pre-Internet, mail order, and they were on floppy disks. In fact, there was even the option to get them on a 5.25" disk on DOS format.

So although I have thought about changing the name, what should I call them ... Collections? ... Albums? ... Hmmmm, disks are traditional and many of my customers have been with me since 1990 or so. I wouldn't want them to buy a "Collection" and find they already have the same thing on a "Disk".

No offense taken on the "trashy" site cry but as noted, it's an information site, not an entertainment site, and it's designed for low-bandwidth users. Some of my customers are in very remote locations in over 100 different countries and some of them can't get anything faster than a dial-up. So the graphics are limited and it all complies with HTML2.

I've been doing this since 1992 and it is my "moonlighting" business. I'm a professional musician by trade and have been most of my life.

If you decide to order something from me, please read the information titled "The Fine Print" which is located right above the ordering box. This is helpful information, and I titled it "The Fine Print" because everybody is told to read the fine print.

Also, on the right hand side of each Fake Disk page is a song list. At least one of the song titles should be a hyperlink. You can download these songs and play them on your version of BiaB - they are free samples and they let you know exactly what you are getting before you buy.

If you don't like it, I'd rather not sell it to you. That's why the fine print and the free samples.

If you have any problems, I'm an e-mail away. I almost always answer the e-mails by the next day. On rare occasions I might take a day off, but if I'm close enough to home, I'll still get to them.

I take Visa, Master Card and PayPal for payment, and the shopping cart service that I use is rated as one of the safest in the world (so far 100% secure).

I don't keep your credit card on file, and periodically delete all the card numbers from the shopping cart's server. They way I figure it is that if it isn't there, they can't hack it.

And I tend to think of the site as simple instead of trashy wink (no offense taken, I'm just teasing).

Notes

Bob "Notes" Norton smile Norton Music
https://www.nortonmusic.com

100% MIDI Super-Styles recorded by live, pro, studio musicians for a live groove
& Fake Disks for MIDI and/or RealTracks
Off-Topic
J
Veteran
Veteran
J
yeah, "trashy" was not a fair way to describe Notes' site! smile and it is ultimately about the content and not the look of the website!

but, on the flipside, I bet sales there would increase if Notes ditched the "1992 Welcome to the Internet" motif! laugh my company designs sites that have to work on everything from dial-up to desktop to the latest tiny/slow smartphone and you really don't have to use early 90's tech to accomplish this.

Last edited by JohnJohnJohn; 05/15/14 12:08 PM.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Band-in-a-Box® 2024 Review: 4.75 out of 5 Stars!

If you're looking for a in-depth review of the newest Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows version, you'll definitely find it with Sound-Guy's latest review, Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows Review: Incredible new capabilities to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs.

A few excerpts:
"The Tracks view is possibly the single most powerful addition in 2024 and opens up a new way to edit and generate accompaniments. Combined with the new MultiPicker Library Window, it makes BIAB nearly perfect as an 'intelligent' composer/arranger program."

"MIDI SuperTracks partial generation showing six variations – each time the section is generated it can be instantly auditioned, re-generated or backed out to a previous generation – and you can do this with any track type. This is MAJOR! This takes musical experimentation and honing an arrangement to a new level, and faster than ever."

"Band in a Box continues to be an expansive musical tool-set for both novice and experienced musicians to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs, as well as an extensive educational resource. It is huge, with hundreds of functions, more than any one person is likely to ever use. Yet, so is any DAW that I have used. BIAB can do some things that no DAW does, and this year BIAB has more DAW-like functions than ever."

Happy Easter! Holiday Hours...

2024 is well underway - it's already Easter Weekend!

Our Customer Service hours this weekend are:

Friday, March 29: 8-4
Saturday, March 30: 8-4
Sunday, March 31: closed

Regular hours resume Monday, April 1st - no joke!

Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Video: Volume Automation in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created a video to help you learn more about the Volume Automation options in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows.

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Volume Automation

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#volume-automation

Video: Audio Input Monitoring with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created this short video to explain Audio Input Monitoring within Band-in-a-Box® 2024, and included some tips & troubleshooting details too!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Audio Input Monitoring

3:17: Tips
5:10: Troubleshooting

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#audio-input-monitoring

Video: Enhanced Melodists in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®!

We've enhanced the Melodists feature included in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows!

Access the Melodist feature by pressing F7 in the program to open the new MultiPicker Library and locate the [Melodist] tab.

You can now generate a melody on any track in the program - very handy! Plus, you select how much of the melody you want generated - specify a range, or apply it to the whole track.

See the Melodist in action with our video, Band-in-a-Box® 2024: The Melodist Window.

Learn even more about the enhancements to the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024upgrade/chapter3.htm#enhanced-melodist

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,396
Posts732,514
Members38,442
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
danielsk, Mark Morgan, zagrajbarke, Ernest J, Izzy
38,442 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 195